Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Ahh the first round of the year, where you can tip both Richmond and Melbourne and not feel foolish.

IDK, tipping a team that has lost its last 16 games against their opponent at a venue they've lost 28 of their last 30 games at seems foolish to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Tipping Richmond is fine because they are playing Carlton. Tipping Melbourne is dumb as f.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I tipped a lot of not favourites, setting up my usual footy tipping mediocrity early this year. I didn't tip Melbourne, though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'd tip anyone round one, but I won't tip that.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'd tip anyone round one, but I won't tip that.

Pretty good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You're all weak cowardly flogs with no sense of adventure.

I'll tip Melbourne if I want to, coz I live on the cutting edge of adventure and excitement.

Envy my wild and free lifestyle.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
I'm one of those hopeless romantics who always tips my team and feels disloyal if I do otherwise, but I'd tip Melbourne this week even if I weren't.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

You're all weak cowardly flogs with no sense of adventure.

I'll tip Melbourne if I want to, coz I live on the cutting edge of adventure and excitement.

Envy my wild and free lifestyle.

I don't like excitement, it's exhausting

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This seems like it would be up Hume's alley: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18912776/footy-forensics-introduces-advanced-afl-elo-based-ladder-prediction-rankings-statistics

Crows predicted to finish 3rd, above GWS :smug:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
So apparently the GABBA surface is unfit to play on for the women's Grand Final so they have to go to Metricon instead. I would be furious if I were the Lions, it's the same week as Round 1 for the men's kicking off how the gently caress is the stadium not ready??

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/AFL_House/status/843620216579878912

These are mint as. I can understand complaints about rings for women, medals for men but these look great.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

snaeksikn posted:

So apparently the GABBA surface is unfit to play on for the women's Grand Final so they have to go to Metricon instead. I would be furious if I were the Lions, it's the same week as Round 1 for the men's kicking off how the gently caress is the stadium not ready??

I'm pretty sure the AFL is furious seeing as venues feel the AFL is a captive customer. Do what they want to bring in big bucks (concerts etc)

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

These are mint as. I can understand complaints about rings for women, medals for men but these look great.

I like them but wish they'd double down and do the NFL style team specific design

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I think 60% chance of Freo finishing bottom 4 is a bit rough, if we had the same team that we had for all of last year then maybe, but not with Fyfe/Sandi/Johnson/B.Hill/McCarthy and the other new guys in the side.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wests Tigers in the NRL are about to sack their coach 3 games into the season after being in finals contention going into the last round of the 2016 season.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

NRL Teams are also getting fined 350k+ for handling concussions badly on top of having their star player have an ACL misdiagnosed. Seems like a self licking ice cream up there.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TG-Chrono posted:

I can understand complaints coming from the men, at any rate, because those are great.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

I'm sure that super resilient Etihad turf has pulled up a treat after the same drat concert :thumbsup:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

2 years in a row Collingwood have players missing the start of the year due to broken bones in the hand related to unconvincing stories about dogs and frisbees

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

monolithburger posted:

I'm sure that super resilient Etihad turf has pulled up a treat after the same drat concert :thumbsup:

The only question is will there be more goals than knee injuries at the Saints v Dees match

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Who doesn't have a team in Goon Golden Spoon 5 yet? We need one more in the next couple of hours or the draft will start chewing on its own foot again

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/588618/invitation

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

The only question is will there be more goals than knee injuries at the Saints v Dees match

Sounds like a Sportsbet market, hope they give refunds if knee injuries are leading at half time and lose.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/COBrienBris/status/843688500734042112

loving Queensland...

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

didnt queensland football just secure a bunch of funding for new facilities from the state govt on the back of the success of the womens side?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

hume has some competition http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18912776/footy-forensics-introduces-advanced-afl-elo-based-ladder-prediction-rankings-statistics

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So do u m8

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NTRabbit posted:

Who doesn't have a team in Goon Golden Spoon 5 yet? We need one more in the next couple of hours or the draft will start chewing on its own foot again

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/588618/invitation

Any of our new American posters not in and want to give it a try? Sometimes there's even shitposting!

Otherwise I'll have to postpone the draft again while I work up a dummy team for a virtual bye, and tomorrow is probably the last day we can do it

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh yeah, I also put my predictions forecasts into his comp as well. I misplaced my results but I'm doing a new gen just now. Gimme a few minutes.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The thing about the AFLW GF (and early Lions home games) not being at the Gabba is that it's not actually the AFL's fault. They're getting strong armed by cricket in the only state that can happen. The curator is saying Adele ruined the pitch area and he needs to spend some time fixing the turf she apparently wrecked to ensure the pitch for the first Ashes Test later this year is ok.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Already talks about a boutique stadium in QLD with a capacity of 10-15k to make up for this happening. Apparently the Agricultural show stepped asked to offer their facilities but they're not at an approved standard.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I have a feeling I did post these numbers a few weeks ago, but anyway.

Methodology:
- use my usual ratings based on last years' home-and-away performances, but regressed by 25%
- give teams a random nudge before each simulated season to account for bolters and divers
- sim each season game-by-game as I normally do (ie. work out par scores for each match from the previous step and then give them another random nudge)

Personally, I think Adelaide and Hawthorn might dip slightly, GWS should consolidate, West Coast should have a better year. Mid-range, I think Melbourne and St Kilda both have potential to improve but then you can say that about every team in the middle. Brisbane have to come up at some point. Essendon to be as rubbish as they were in 2015 now they've got that team back.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Spedman posted:

I think 60% chance of Freo finishing bottom 4 is a bit rough, if we had the same team that we had for all of last year then maybe, but not with Fyfe/Sandi/Johnson/B.Hill/McCarthy and the other new guys in the side.

It specifically says that it cant account for player changes between seasons.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

No don't say this.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Two things to take from this video:
- Holy poo poo, the WAFL is sponsored by McDonalds.
- KICK BIG!

https://twitter.com/WAFLOfficial/status/843717866025377793

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

No don't say this.

DEHUMANISE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

Women will still get a premiership medallion. These rings are a counterpart to the watches men get for winning grand finals (in recent years)

Makes sense. Not the best design though IMO, could have team colours in a band around it or something.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbourne made rings for our inaugural squad and they looked pretty swank

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-20/aflw-mark-of-the-year-vote-now
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-20/aflw-goal-of-the-year-vote-now

Goal and Mark of the year voting for the AFLW is up, Erin Phillips is in both

Also in other women's news

The SANFL is set to create history by conducting the first State League junior competition for girls starting in August.

Beginning on the weekend of August 22-23, the newly formed competition will include all eight non-AFL aligned SANFL clubs fielding teams at Under-14 and Under-16 level.

The competition will run across a four-week period, including three minor rounds before culminating in a Grand Final on the weekend of September 12-13.

Both the Under-14 and Under-16 competitions will be split into a Northern and Southern conference each consisting of four teams.

The Northern conference will include Norwood, North, Central and the Eagles while the Southern conference will incorporate Glenelg, Sturt, South and West.

Matches will be played at SANFL venues, with the opening round of fixtures proposed as curtain-raisers for the Under-18 Macca’s Cup competition.

These are in addition to the five divisions that will happen in open women's, and the under-18 girls division under the new Adelaide Footy League which combines the previous SAWFL and the men's amateur league into one branded league.

The U18 have 11 teams, while the five divisions split up 35 teams.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

DEHUMANISE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

But I want both the Dees and Saints to make the 8 this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
So is the UF draft postponed again?

• Locked thread