Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

how does CT manage to be so much bigger than RI and yet functionally so much less. Does the state even have, like, founding principles? Local food? Its own slang? Historical relevance?

All i know is that i have gotten lost in Putnam like six times and I have never even wanted to go to Putnam. Last time I got lost there it was after midnight and there was a boarded up gas station in fog so thick you could barely see the woods behind it in the headlights. We pulled into to consult the map, and off in the middle of this field there was a loan payphone and while we were looking at the map it started ringing and my passengers begged me not to go but I told them I couldnt just ignore a ringing phone.

Anyway that is my Connecticut experience

WHAT DID THE PHONE SAY???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mariana Horchata posted:

theres also a poo poo ton of pedestrian fatalities in urban connecticut...try crossing the street in downtown Stamford and u will understand why (stay safe).

i lived in downtown stamford and pedestrianed all the time and still don't understand this

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I had only ever driven thorough CT until I visited a friend this past weekend.

I ate pizza with "hot oil" on it - it was what they were known for!!!

I guess it was good but not very spicy...

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Nathan Hale is a piece of poo poo, a total loser, and the state hero of Connecticut

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
Put Fairfield county into NY and give the rest of the state to new Hampshire or something, it's not contiguous but I don't really care.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zyla posted:

WHAT DID THE PHONE SAY???

I honestly dont remember. I assume, much like the rest of of Connecticut, it was a let down, which is why the buildup stuck in my memory but the result did not. The next thing I can clearly recall was waking up in RI with the sun up and a cop knocking at the window asking if everyone was okay, and then I dropped everyone off and went home.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
answering an old ringing pay phone at a boarded up gas station in connecticut is exactly how you end up with the curse from The Ring

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
like "i answered an old ringing pay phone in the middle of the night in rural connecticut and the next thing i know i woke up in rhode island with no memory of how i got there" is pretty firm evidence that you're cursed.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

like "i answered an old ringing pay phone in the middle of the night in rural connecticut and the next thing i know i woke up in rhode island with no memory of how i got there" is pretty firm evidence that you're cursed.

having to be in connecticut for any length of time is a curse realized

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
glyph forgot to mention the part where they tried to drive into seekonk, but every time they crossed the border they somehow ended up back in westerly

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

oh god westerly is full of fuckin nut jobs and hicks

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wesleyan is a nice campus. UCONN Storrs is meh. I think the state is fairly pretty, on average. Chris Murphy isn't a poo poo senator despite his haircut, so at least we improved on Lieberman and sorta kinda on Dodd with Blumenthal. We're trying! But yeah I'm not really up in arms over CT hate.

Apropos of nothing, I will loving fight you if you say one positive thing about the flea infested sandbar that is Long Island though.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

blumenthal's cool, you jerk. i met him very briefly in passing and then ran into him months later at another event and he remembered me :unsmith:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkkPiilF_mI

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I actually spent 40 minutes in Putnam, which I'm pretty sure is something approaching a one road town that is no more than like 10 minutes across, trying to get into Rhode Island. I actually got onto the highway twice, traveled several exits, and when I got off I was still in Putnam, still in Connecticut. (Is the highway even near Putnam? I don't know which one it was, I was just desperate to get out of putnam) before the phone thing.

So yeah I'm gonna say the real curse was being stuck in Connecticut.

Aurubin posted:

Wesleyan is a nice campus

I visited there once! It was quite nice, yeah.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
putnam fact: the putnam democrats are the worst town party in america

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The previous time I went to connecticut, before the phone time, I blew a headgasket (I think that's what it was called?). I had to stop at a car parts store and buy like a dozen bottles of motor oil or some other liquid, I forget what, and refill it every 15 minutes on the way home.

Why is Connecticut so drat hard to get out of?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i actually kind of enjoyed my time working in connecticut on a handful of local races. i was very satisfied with my work there, and the local parties were actually nice to me for the most part which is a rarity for any paid staff. i cannot say the same about rhode island, because that state is real bad and everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

The previous time I went to connecticut, before the phone time, I blew a headgasket (I think that's what it was called?). I had to stop at a car parts store and buy like a dozen bottles of motor oil or some other liquid, I forget what, and refill it every 15 minutes on the way home.

Why is Connecticut so drat hard to get out of?

We set traps for the leaf peepers and consume their flesh make them eat our inferior pizza.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

what an utter knob lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's easy to forget about litchfield county because it's boring and nothing is there, but it has five posh boarding schools for every person living there and is the biggest stronghold of WASPs in new england

Aurubin posted:

Wesleyan is a nice campus.
it's also where bill belichick, lin-manuel miranda, joss whedon, and michael bay graduated from. and the next time my sister comes home i'll hear about five other people from there who are either famous or are related to somebody my parents know. so that place can eat a bowl of dicks

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Connecticut sucks.

It's not a part of New England, and the only redeeming thing about is Frank Pepe's white clam pizza.

And the Merritt is pretty, but the traffic blows.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fucj you OP. Connecticut is a state rich in character and stature. It's many things to many different people. It's New York's second largest suburb after New Jersey. It's people's third favorite state on the drive to Boston. Its got beautiful nature if Vermont, New Hampshire, and upstate NY, are all unavailable. I suggest you educate yourself next time before posting a thread like this

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Fucj you OP. Connecticut is a state rich in character and stature. It's many things to many different people. It's New York's second largest suburb after New Jersey. It's people's third favorite state on the drive to Boston. Its got beautiful nature if Vermont, New Hampshire, and upstate NY, are all unavailable. I suggest you educate yourself next time before posting a thread like this

Almost as good as the sum of it's parts! The unofficial motto.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Count Freebasie posted:

white clam pizza

There's no way this isn't terrible. None of those words go together.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://soundcloud.com/jhcfhota/connecticuts-for-loving

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ScrubLeague posted:

There's no way this isn't terrible. None of those words go together.

Try it with a garlic white sauce and don't put salt on it. It's good!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Aurubin posted:

Try it with a garlic white sauce and don't put salt on it. It's good!

:stare:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Philistine.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Don't put clams on a pizza. gently caress you.

White sauce is fine.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Aurubin posted:

Philistine.

DONT BLAME ME IM FROM MASSACHUSETTS

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Zyla posted:

DONT BLAME ME IM FROM MASSACHUSETTS

Clams are for chowder! It is known!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

please keep anything that lives in the water away from pizza

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
CT pizza is the best. It is our state's one redeeming feature.

Also, our union-busting democratic governor is a poo poo and I'm glad he's basically unelectable despite being eligable for a third term.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don't have a real major beef with Malloy 'cause he's exactly the governor CT deserves, just a bumbling rear end Bill Lumbergh. Most Nutmeggers hate him because he's the personification of Connecticut and they hate themselves.

Oh yeah hey by the way - Nutmeggers - that's like the word for people from Connecticut. Fuckin, jesus christ man we were set up to hate.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

That DICK! posted:

I don't have a real major beef with Malloy 'cause he's exactly the governor CT deserves, just a bumbling rear end Bill Lumbergh. Most Nutmeggers hate him because he's the personification of Connecticut and they hate themselves.

Oh yeah hey by the way - Nutmeggers - that's like the word for people from Connecticut. Fuckin, jesus christ man we were set up to hate.

Still better than Connecticut(e)ians.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nutmegger said aloud sounds like an intense racial slur

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Nutmegger said aloud sounds like an intense racial slur

You can just use anti-Italian slurs in most of the state.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

I went to school in New Britain. The mall in West Hartford had a Rainforest Cafe. Other than that there's nothing memorable about my time there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Volcott posted:

You can just use anti-Italian slurs in most of the state.

Connecticut Italians don't count as Italians.

• Locked thread