Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Please post updates when you get them, I'm interested but wary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

An order I made on April 22nd just arrived, packaged in what was basically a small foam cooler that had been absolutely smushed and burst open. I didn't have a lot of hope, but none of the glass shattered and the whole item was intact.

:swoon:

I'm about to feel so loving fancy.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I bought my cheapo earbuds a year ago and they've served me well despite me treating them like absolute crap and wearing them in the shower and dropping the case out of my tiny girl pockets about a million times. I'd probably buy another set if I could still find anyone selling them (which is also why I'm not reccing them now, rip).

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I wasn't aware of this thread when I made my wisest and objectively best aliexpress purchase, but maybe here it can get the appreciation it deserves.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I don't mean to post so much but I buy a lot of dumb poo poo so here we are.

So on May 7th I bought a knockoff of this Indiegogo-funded printer.

Finally, a way to cover everything I own in lovely emojis. There's never been a way, before. This is the only way.

Today it got here and as you can imagine I was very excited.

Rather than skip straight to bemojing every garment I own, I decided to do some test printing on a piece of scrap paper to figure out the parameters.

Things are going well.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I don't know how drastic the difference is between this and the Real Deal but if

wait i just googled to see if i could find reviews and someone said something about the print head, gimme a sec

oh goddammit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Does it do tattoos?

Oooh, good question! There were some heavily photoshopped product pictures implying you could print on yourself, I'll try it.

... hm.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

This is the one I bought, it looks like it's on sale right now. I got the cheapest one that says it's just the printer and figured I'd have to buy an ink cartridge, but it actually came with one, so ???

You could definitely do some cool art poo poo by letting it glitch on purpose. I wish it had a better interface and connectivity options (connecting to device wifi to crudely edit in a chrome window sux), but it's not so bad after the first setup.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Just the usual poo poo while scrolling through my aliexpress recs... but wait

ENHANCE

Mondays, amirite

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

which one of you is this

We already established it's me

but mine's a little taller and not quite so pleasingly plump. I guess that's what I get for not shelling out for the premium version.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

My new purse got here!

I got it hoping it would be big enough to carry my tablet, but the usable interior is actually too small to carry an a6 planner wallet. Still gonna use it, though.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It's this one! It was the only one I could find that didn't misspell 'throwaway'.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Because I make good decisions and have excellent taste, I bought a pair of these:

I've bought platforms from ali before and had decent luck so I figured, gently caress it. Unfortunately they are narrow as all hell. I can still wear them, but the sole is like an inch narrower than my actual foot. It's a real hoofy sort of effect that isn't a great look. I've also taken all the shoes with these heels off my wishlist, because just moving my foot to take a step results in these heels making ungodly noises against the floor. Maybe I'll get lucky and meet a goth who has narrow feet in a size 9 willing to buy them off me, but until then they'll just have to be a sometimes shoe.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Finally, the outfit I've been waiting for is complete.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 4, 2020

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Ebay sellers have been pulling the same poo poo with one $0.01 variant for years. It would be easy to fix by forcing sort by price to utilize the highest price variant in the listing, but no one's implemented it because they have no reason to disincentivize the practice.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Snackula posted:

Yeah I've gotten screwed too, something supposedly got damaged in shipping, customer would show no photos or other proof it was damaged and immediately started yelling at me instead, got a full refund anyway because gently caress you, we don't want to eat a cc chargeback and the seller is unlikely to trigger one because sellers don't want to lose their accounts. Paypal can also just decide to hang onto your money any time they feel like it.

My mom sells sewing machines and someone bought a vintage cast iron sewing machine with table, then tried to return it because "the listing said it was a new royal, but this is used"

The best part is that no one who returns vintage machines knows how to pack them, so tables and cabinets get absolutely wrecked in shipping.

It's really no wonder eBay is mostly an Aliexpress resale site now. Who else can afford to absorb the losses?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

My experience with backflow incense cones is that whatever they use to make the smoke 'heavy' also imparts an unavoidable rankness and the smoke itself will yellow whatever it touches. I don't mind the smell and I take precautions for yellowing, but it's something to keep in mind.

Or maybe I'm just cheap and fancy backflow incense doesn't have these problems.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

At this point on Ali I have to look for clothes by searching "5xl" but that still doesn't help me because half the time I look at their size chart and they only actually go up to an XXL with a 28" waist. "Plus size" got lost as title keyword cruft years ago, but it's annoying to see it happening again. Putting 5xl in the title is not going to get me to buy your dress that doesn't fit me, Aliexpress seller.

On the other hand, I bought a dress in 2xl that should have fit me perfectly according to the size chart, and it appears to have been sized for a 52-inch tube with titties in their armpits.

In a kind and just world I would be able to search for clothes by measurements and save everyone a lot of time, but as it is I'm just glad I have a sewing machine.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I always buy based on my actual measurements, the problem is that I can't really search "skirt Xcm waist" so finding things in the first place is a pain. Also at least once (the dress I mentioned earlier) I ended up swimming in it even though the measurements were spot-on for me. :shrug: It's not a huge worry since everything on Ali is a gamble, it's just annoying to have to click through and go looking for charts to figure out if I can wear something that says FOR BIG OL' FATTIES in the title.

This cat is my favorite Aliexpress item description image.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

DicktheCat posted:

This one is literally stolen from an artist I follow on Twitter :saddowns:

I'm sure they're all stolen, but it still makes me sad.

I try to only get the ones that are lovely pop culture mashups because I don't care about stealing an artist's Skeletor meme, but it'd be neat if we had a thread for sharing cool original pins/patches that we find around the internet. Unless that already exists and I don't know about it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I've seen a few knockoffs of these Docs on Ali (they tend to stick with a floral interior) but usually they're plastic and not real leather. I finally destroyed my old ones past the point of repairability and Doc Martens doesn't make them anymore. Is anyone making decent leather knockoffs of these? Buying leather anything on Ali feels like a fool's gamble but I'm not paying eBay prices to get my old boots back.

AliExpress algorithm please have mercy and tell me someone is making a more expensive version with real leather I'm dying :negative:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I looked at a metal cigarette case and now Aliexpress thinks I want to buy a katana. :(

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Assuming you mean something like this:

Yeah, I can't find anything either. I tried image searching a couple different brands, and I got nothing but tourniquets a beekeeping tools. I think it's too niche for Ali. If you want to be cheap your best bet might be an expanding file folder with temp categories for sorting.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

SubNat posted:

To y'all pin/brooch affictionados: Is there a decent term to use to find ones with a safety-pin-style attachment, as opposed to the earring-style spike+spikehat? (v. technical terminology.)

I've ordered a couple pins/brooches, and when I recieved the first one I realized that probably all of them are going to be the stab-straight-through kind. Which works on the straps for my bags, but not as well for the actual body of them.
And I'm worried they'll work their way off eventually and just drop off.

(First one I recieved was of course Goose-with-knife.)

Safety-pin-style is very uncommon for enamel pins, and in my experience is actually surprisingly insecure. Using a second safety pin or sewing the loops (if present) can reinforce those, but nothing is as sturdy as a straight pin with a locking pin back. This kind! Some people prefer the ones that you screw on with a tiny allen wrench, but those actually bend the pin and make it impossible to reconfigure poo poo when you need to move pins around. My jacket and bag are covered in enamel pins and I have never lost one with a locking pin back, though I've lost several badge/button style ones. Here's my pinniest jacket, which hopefully counts as credentials in this matter:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Official WtNV pins! I have the glow cloud one, might also buy the eye.

If I wanted to make a dedicated pins/patches thread, where would it fit? PYF?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

How many conversations get started because of that jacket?

People my age and younger generally just say they like my jacket and move on, older ladies will want to have a conversation about Cool Jackets They Have Known, and older men try to be sassy about how much it weighs or how much noise it makes (they might be trying to neg me, I don't know).

But none of the pins go flying off! That's the whole point of the locking backs!! :argh:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

So far the only item I have never successfully received from Ali is nail foils. I've had individual items fail to show, but I've tried to buy nail foils multiple times and never received one. Nail polish and glue for foils gets here fine, but the foils themselves disappear into the void. They're not even worth complaining about because they're like a dollar. I don't know what it is about them that makes them go missing in the mail.

Someday...

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

CANNED

B•E•A•N

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Unsatisfied with my last dumbass expensive purchase of a tiny printer, I decided to make a dumber and more expensive purchase.

For reference, I actually own the original Brookstone/Axent cat ear headphones with the speakers in the ears. They loving suck! The headphone jack doesn't work, on bluetooth they die after three hours, and there's no warning before they die. Also the case you keep them in is actually huge.

I'm not going to take a picture of the box they came in because who gives a poo poo, but it's loving sturdy. It reminds me of the box an iPhone comes in, except big. You could punt this box without denting it, but might hurt your foot because it's so goddamn heavy. Also they wrapped the box in foam just to be extra safe so that was nice. The case is actually reasonably sized enough that you could take it places if you want. It came with a usb-c cable to charge it with and also a power brick.

Because I make good decisions, I installed the YOWU app you use to control the lights from the google app store. I couldn't actually read anything at all when installing it, but that didn't stop me from blindly accepting whatever it said. The app also lets you change audio modes from music to vocals to whatever. Dunno what they do but seems legit. I tested it first with blue lights and a podcast about the Business Plot, and it sounds good! There's no headphone jack, but it supports audio over usb-c. I tested it with my phone's usb-c cable, and that also works. Then I installed another application I couldn't read on my desktop so I could test using them wired there. That also sounded good!

I haven't run the battery down enough to find out if it will actually loving warn me when they're about to die, but so far these are in every conceivable way better than the fancy kickstarter headphones.

Also until I found these I was worried I'd have to buy Beats to have light blue headphones that match my keyboard. Thank you, Aliexpress, for letting me spend way too much on headphones that aren't Beats.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 5, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

If I hadn't spent months trying to find even regular headphones in this shade of blue, I probably wouldn't have been so primed to buy these as soon as I saw them.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I'm just slowly working my way up toward the inevitable.

The Bloop posted:

I'm honestly surprised that the ali product was the advertised color and you hit it that well

I'm as shocked as anyone, I was fully prepared for it to show up anywhere from navy to teal.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 5, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

:stwoon: that varmillo?

Yeah, funnily enough I got it to replace an Akko that I bought on Ali before deciding I was sick of settling for pink (my partner has the Akko now so we have one pink desk and one blue one).

It was a very good keyboard, but--and this is key--it did not come in blue. It was also one of the only really cute mechanical keyboards with designs on it that I could find on Aliexpress, lost in a sea of ahegao keycap sets.

The one advantage the Aliexpress Akko has over the Varmilo is that you can buy a matching wrist rest.

I want a matching wrist rest with little whales on it, gdi! :argh:

... this came up while I was trying to find it and I refuse to click because I don't want to do that to my recs.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I couldn't find any on Aliexpress (just Russian) but it looks like some places do sell clear stickers that would add Hebrew lettering relatively unobtrusively, if you decide you need an Animal Crossing keyboard in your life.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

My kitties have a ceramic fountain and no apparent interest in other water sources :smug:

But sometimes 8ball decides to attack the burbling water like it's a toy and gets water everywhere, so that's a downside.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah afaik the Hitachi magic wand is an actual massager, to the point that they stopped making it for a while because too many people were using it on their junk. And it basically has a diesel engine, I think if you put a Hitachi on max power between your legs you'd lose feeling for a week.

Plus once your back feels better it will still have a use. :haw:

I cannot vouch for any such wands you'd find on Ali, despite their many attempts to sell me some.

Edit: they did start making it again but now it's the Original Magic Wand so that Hitachi can feel safe from accusations that they make a sex toy.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Here are some reviews for office supplies I have purchased on Aliexpress. Almost none of these are the original listing I bought them off of, because it's Aliexpress and it's just like that.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974643532.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33022790435.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000890084874.html
I don't know what it is about sticky notes but apparently the official post-it brand has a loving lock on advanced note adhesive technology. It's the weirdest loving thing. I always tell myself that the next batch of cute sticky notes will be different, but they are never different. In the stack, they're stuck as gently caress. Trying to peel them off the stack without tearing the paper is genuinely difficult. Then, once you've got a note off the stack, the force with which you had to pull it off has permanently bent it. The note just sticks straight upward off whatever you try to stick it to. It completely loses the #aesthetic and looks absolutely ridiculous. They don't even stick well! Half the time if I want to use my cute sticky notes I have to attach them with a loving paperclip. If someone has a hookup on cute sticky notes hmu because these suck and I'm mad about it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000161081547.html
These paperclips rule, actually. We send out paper checks for some reason and some of them are supposed to have a little remittance slip but my ADHD-rear end is prone to forgetting them because my eyes just slide over regular paperclips as unimportant. Since buying the ringed planet and star versions of these, I've never forgotten to take something important off an invoice before filing, because I want my paperclips back. No one else gets to have them. The stars work better for larger stacks of paper, the little planets have trouble with more than like five or six sheets. I haven't tried any other shapes because those are the best ones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32779186205.html
I actually bought this to keep knitting needles in but it would look cool as hell with pencils probably.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808508260.html
These are the best way to keep washi tape, no question. I have six of these and I need more because I have a problem.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000141672534.html
I managed to almost cut myself with this once but only because I am very stupid and determined to do things wrong.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000098535527.html
This is dumb as hell and works great and I love it. :3:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863795725.html
These have a weird limited use case but they're really handy for when you want to have a little subsection in a file that isn't worth its own file. In theory a binder clip would work just as well but like. These look cooler. I've never actually tried writing on them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963233594.html
They are TINY and they are FUN COLORS making them superior to most other binder clips. I put the yellow ones on things that are going into the file cabinet so I don't have to look at them. :colbert:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001356292531.html
I ended up never using this because for some reason I thought it came with an inkpad and it didn't and I don't have a big enough inkpad and still haven't bothered to buy one. I know it says it doesn't come with ink but I somehow interpreted that as 'there's an inkpad with no ink in it'. I can't confirm that it stamps worth a drat but it looks fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000301942760.html
This seemed like a cool fun idea but swapping out the colored pencil lead is a huge pain in the rear end and not really doable for the kind of small child entertained by coloring.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000331894132.html
This bookmark is pretty. :3:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000723706476.html
When card exchanging season came I got real excited to use my wax stamp before remembering that it has a skull on it, which I didn't think would be a good idea for sealing up cards for old ladies. So I bought this one as a spare stamp for when I want to give someone a card who doesn't appreciate cool skulls.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000966878395.html
I have a lot of much nicer pens but I end up using this one all the time because it's glittery with a rainbow nib lmao

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000606194910.html
I bought this Sumikko Gurashi tissue holder to keep tissues on my desk at work. It's too small to put an entire container intact inside of it so I take them out of those weird cupholder-shaped tissue tubes. I could probably just take them out of a normal box of tissues but I haven't tried yet.

No pictures because the listing is gone and I don't care enough to find a new one that's similar but I bought some A5 dot-grid paper once and it was glossy and didn't absorb ink worth a poo poo and I hate it even though it was $2. I do not recommend buying paper on Aliexpress.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, that's the dumbest part—I actually did purchase ink separately. In a bottle. To saturate the ink pad that I thought was built in to the base, for some reason. I cannot explain why I believed this, because nothing in the listing even implies that.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Assuming it's like the ones in my wishlist, it's one of these:

You put a tea candle in it and then you don't have to sit there holding a spoon over a tea candle yourself waiting for the wax to slowly melt.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I want a lamtoys distressed kitten so bad now but most of the other listings are blind boxes :cry:

edit: I found one that's not a piggy bank but it doesn't seem to include the upturned ice cream cone. Also I guess it's face-palming instead of grabbing its head in dismay.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms8Q0On

Everett False fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I assume they're trying to force people into using the app as much as possible by making the browser experience garbage.