Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I just got this and my empire got rolled by three extreme xenophobes realizing I was weak and slow at roughly the same time. Then they started murdering one another over my home world. So that was pretty great. This game I'm running extremely fast plant people and doing much better. Do you always have bits of your fleet rebel at the start of the game and go pirate? My first game they outnumbered and outgunned me, I was pretty impressed by their ability to hide the construction of a bunch of better armed ships from their fungoid oligarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The rebel event (almost?) always happens unless you're a hive mind. There's different flavor text for it, depending on your ethics.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Cease to Hope posted:

Not missiles, not disruptors, not space torpedos, not strike craft. Everything else is fine.

Energy torpedoes are really good though.

Here's a good ship loadout guide. Basically, plasma and energy torpedoes, plus Kinetic Artillery destroyers.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

The rebel event (almost?) always happens unless you're a hive mind. There's different flavor text for it, depending on your ethics.

The pirates are guaranteed to always happen to the player as long as they aren't a hive mind as you called out.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Splicer posted:

Vassals have their own war policies etc. AFAIK. Sounds like the vassals you're trying to gift to are set to defensive wars only, and are taking the moral high ground on your land grab warmongering.

Fight the war, take the planet yourself, then trade it to them in the trade screen while rolling your eyes at their hypocrisy.
Does the increased research cost go back down as you trade away planets?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Do megastructures count towards your system cap / research penalty? I would assume the ringworld probably does, but what about habitations?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GamingHyena posted:

Do megastructures count towards your system cap / research penalty? I would assume the ringworld probably does, but what about habitations?

Yes (unless they are built in an already inhabited system) and yes. Each pop there will also count for the normal research/unity multiplier as well.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So sectors, how should I be using these? Is it good to develop the colony and surrounding systems at all before I sector it or can I just immediately sector a new planet.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Axetrain posted:

So sectors, how should I be using these? Is it good to develop the colony and surrounding systems at all before I sector it or can I just immediately sector a new planet.

It sorta depends on what stage of the game you're at and how fast you're expanding. Early on, yes, definitely only give developed worlds to sectors. Once that sector is reasonably established, however, there's no real harm in throwing them new or developing worlds. Pretty much the only worlds that I wouldn't just throw in a sector in the late game is one that has a bunch of freshly conquered pops with super high unrest - you'll want to build a few defensive armies on those first.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
If I've never played the game before, would it be a good or a bad idea to start out as a hive mind for my first couple of runs?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Ephemeron posted:

If I've never played the game before, would it be a good or a bad idea to start out as a hive mind for my first couple of runs?

Start out as a "normal" ethos first. Hive mind is not a good place to try and start to learn the game, as you can't really get into different species inside your empire in that case.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Also with sectors, something I learned: Once you go full synthetic, allow your sector to "build robots" or you'll never see any growth. I had a couple of stagnating planets for that reason.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ephemeron posted:

it's not necessarily a bad idea to start with a hive first but i wouldn't say it's a good idea either. hive minds have some behaviors that are exceptions to the rule, so imo you're better off learning the rule first. the 'optimal' strategy anyway is to wipe the galaxy clean of xenos instead of loving around with federations and vassals and the like so try a nice chill playthrough of like some technocrat pacificst cyborg lords before you get bored with that and go full zerg

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sanctum posted:

Does the increased research cost go back down as you trade away planets?
I've never tested but to my understanding it's based on your current planet total, so I'd assume yes.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

IAmTheRad posted:

Start out as a "normal" ethos first. Hive mind is not a good place to try and start to learn the game, as you can't really get into different species inside your empire in that case.

Xenos are only good as either slaves or as food. :chef:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Can't you genetically engineer aliens to become a part of your hivemind? Or was that feature cut?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Only if you get the ascension perks for the advanced gene fuckery.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/879278952208060416

Wiz tweeting about a new synthetic FE type, and simultaneously demonstrating that we're getting new robot portraits.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Awww yeah

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Wiz tweeting about a new synthetic FE type, and simultaneously demonstrating that we're getting new robot portraits.
Wild speculation: The above seems to be a first contact scenario between the synthetic FE and a synthetic player empire. Given it's unlikely you'd ever ascend before meeting all the FEs... synthetic start option on the table?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Combined with the new government type, that would seem likely - especially given the name of the update.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Splicer posted:

Wild speculation: The above seems to be a first contact scenario between the synthetic FE and a synthetic player empire. Given it's unlikely you'd ever ascend before meeting all the FEs... synthetic start option on the table?

Well there was that one weird brain symbol next to the hive mind symbol on the empire creation screen we saw the other week...

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is the ringworld background new? I've never noticed that before (though I haven't played in a while).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I guess it came with Utopia maybe. And that's one sexy robot.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

Pretty much the only worlds that I wouldn't just throw in a sector in the late game is one that has a bunch of freshly conquered pops with super high unrest - you'll want to build a few defensive armies on those first.

Just like with spaceports, you can still build defensive armies yourself on planets in a sector.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

my main desiree for an update is forcing captured pops to become synth in my synth empire

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Aethernet posted:

Also worth noting that it's a synthetic hivemind FE, which implies that hiveminds and the synthetic path might not be mutually exclusive any more.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

my main desiree for an update is forcing captured pops to become synth in my synth empire

This was literally the plot of the last Doctor Who episode. Your new synths will be vulnerable to silver for no adequately explored reason.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

firstly the cybermen are vulnerable to gold

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

firstly the cybermen are vulnerable to gold

God drat. I am the worst fanboy ever.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

It sorta depends on what stage of the game you're at and how fast you're expanding. Early on, yes, definitely only give developed worlds to sectors. Once that sector is reasonably established, however, there's no real harm in throwing them new or developing worlds. Pretty much the only worlds that I wouldn't just throw in a sector in the late game is one that has a bunch of freshly conquered pops with super high unrest - you'll want to build a few defensive armies on those first.

Thanks, I thought I could just grab resources by building colony's over my limit and then just instantly sector them early on, and that went pretty poorly. My other game I thought "wow look at all these resources around me ill just build as many frontier outposts as I can to grab them all :downs:!" without realizing that it would bottom out my influence and gently caress me. After reading a bunch of guides I've got a better Idea of how to manage my resources to expand a little more patiently. I like that Stellaris is more friendly to new people than the other Paradox games but it's still plenty different enough from Civ that I kind of have to get my head around it.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 27, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Other Paradox games for me are like "Okay, so how do I get an army so I'm not overpowered by all my neighbours? How do I get more land?"

Stellaris is like "Let's roll with my giant doomstack."

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Other Paradox games for me are like "Okay, so how do I get an army so I'm not overpowered by all my neighbours? How do I get more land?"

Stellaris is like "Let's roll with my giant doomstack."

you can do the doomstack poo poo in ck2 as well once you get rolling.

eu4 makes it a bit harder until you are unstoppably huge or late prussia at least :v:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I am kinda surprised this game doesn't have an espionage component in it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm 15 years or so into my first single-player game, and am having a very hard time judging if I've hosed up or not with my development. Are there any rules of thumb I should be keeping in mind in terms of milestones for mineral income, colonizing worlds, fleet strength, etc.? I think I'm at like high 30's mineral income, 3 worlds, and a little over 600 fleet power

Also, I'm guessing it's a fool's errand to start any offensive wars before my naval capacity is high enough that I can put together a fleet capable of overpowering a 1.4k spaceport?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm 15 years or so into my first single-player game, and am having a very hard time judging if I've hosed up or not with my development. Are there any rules of thumb I should be keeping in mind in terms of milestones for mineral income, colonizing worlds, fleet strength, etc.? I think I'm at like high 30's mineral income, 3 worlds, and a little over 600 fleet power

Also, I'm guessing it's a fool's errand to start any offensive wars before my naval capacity is high enough that I can put together a fleet capable of overpowering a 1.4k spaceport?

For the former, you don't need to worry about timeline too much. The game is fairly forgiving do you don't really need to feel pressured to keep up a schedule of constant expansion. The main pitfalls to watch for are less about raw output and more about getting boxed in by colonization from other empires.

For the latter, yeah, the main reason that exists is to prevent someone from just launching a day 1 campaign to wipe out their neighbours. Spaceports never really get any stronger but they are strong enough to defend against the earliest fleets you'll be able to support.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 27, 2017

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds great, thanks! The first alien empire I encountered are some ultra-isolationist chicken men who, the moment diplomatic channels between our peoples opened, began harboring terrorists. So I figure I'll eventually have to invade them in order to root the terrorists out, once diplomacy fails, but that's something I don't have to worry about for a while

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I like to try to get 5 worlds colonized in about 15-20 years, I find that gives me a good base to build from.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity - of those worlds, how do you decide which ones get put into a sector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

Out of curiosity - of those worlds, how do you decide which ones get put into a sector?

I tend to pick the civic that gives you +2 core worlds, so I don't have to bother with sectors. There are also research options that give you more core worlds later on.

Efficient Bureaucracy is the civic name, I think.

• Locked thread