Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Jazerus posted:

the new early game is very good - more tense, much less luck

a few of the timed special projects maybe need their timer lengthened though - getting a construction ship to the ones that need construction ships is nearly impossible if it's more than 5 jumps away

Some event chains seem weird - I got the cultists one, where the second stage (after you board their ship) has me explore 2 systems - on the other side of the galaxy. I think they used to spawn relatively closer?

Tomn posted:

Each new outpost does increase your tradition/tech costs, though, right?

Yup, I want to say... 2% more per system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tomn posted:

I imagine the answer is "Pay tribute."

Millions for defense, not one cent in tribute doesn't really work that well when you can't spend millions on defense to begin with.

We never pay any-one Dane-geld :colbert:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

canepazzo posted:

Some event chains seem weird - I got the cultists one, where the second stage (after you board their ship) has me explore 2 systems - on the other side of the galaxy. I think they used to spawn relatively closer?

Just spitballing but could it be that there’s a wormhole near you that’s making the event generation think that those systems are close to you?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Soup du Jour posted:

Just spitballing but could it be that there’s a wormhole near you that’s making the event generation think that those systems are close to you?

Good thinking. I bet that's it.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Now I want to see a late game crisis where a fleet of planet destroyers invade the galaxy, 1 ship per planet and you have to kill the ones going for planets you like before they destroy them. (kind of like what happened with SOTS locusts when they went out of control).

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Good thinking. I bet that's it.

Can confirm, same thing happened in my game. Either that, or the gates.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Some distance calculations in events are a bit wonky at the moment due to the hyperlane shenanigans, it'll be sorted out.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also agreed that early game is really great. expansion feels good, I'm never hurting for influence too much but my expansion feels intentional rather than incidental to what I want to do.

fleet manager needs a bit of work, it is a bit wonky.

I get the feeling that trading module, edicts, and upgrades could very easily be spun into a whole expansion.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

There is something about slowly painting the territory in a cohesive manner, through aesthetically pleasing shapes created by outposts, as opposed to the circular blobs in tghe previous iteration, that really appeals to me. It may sound silly but I feel that this game is now more like a proper map painter like the other Paradox one. Such pretty borders!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The fanatic purifier civilization of Phallusia will purge/armageddon bombard all enemies until the only thing that exists is a single empire in a pleasing shape

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there some special requirement to be able to select Life-Seeded? I've enabled Apocalypse but it's not showing up on my Civics menu. I'm not on Gestalt Consciousness, either.

Edit: Restarting Steam fixed it.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 22, 2018

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Anything to make border flipping easier than taking over a planet that you don't want is gold to me.

There was nothing more annoying than having your living metal randomly sniped because your neighbor settled 3 garbage planets and pushed the border just enough to prevent you from being able to Frontier Outpost it back.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

It seems as though for its first two years of life Paradox has been struggling to decide just what the base game of Stellaris is supposed to be. This new direction feels much tighter, however. I hope more features are forthcoming that deepen pop-management/manipulation, trade, and all those fiddly bits that breathe a bit of life into these civilizations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sibling of TB posted:

Now I want to see a late game crisis where a fleet of planet destroyers invade the galaxy, 1 ship per planet and you have to kill the ones going for planets you like before they destroy them. (kind of like what happened with SOTS locusts when they went out of control).

So Reapers from Mass Effect?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I wish I got fired right now, gently caress

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ohhh poo poo, with the new borders you could make an Interstellar Concordium crisis that just burns its way through the galaxy to ensure no two races are allowed to border each other. Uhh, maybe

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

axeil posted:

Ah, yes, ‘Reapers’. We have dismissed this claim.

:turianass:

It would be a cool end game threat, although the Prethoryn Scourge is probably already too similar to make the "planetkillers from deep space" distinct enough of a crisis

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Yep. I want to be home managing make believe space empires, not dealing with companies who are angry that they had to pay sales tax (because they didn't bother to tell us they are exempt... apparently we should just magically know the tax status of each of the hundreds of thousands of companies that we do business with)

One of these things is definitely more exciting than the other! At least I can read fellow goon's experiences while I wait for 5 to come around.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I found out about this after I picked up the expansion from Steam. I could get a refund but meh.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/stellaris-apocalypse
Apocalypse for 15% off. Fanatical is legit, they're owned by Focus Multimedia.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Spawned next to some marauders. That's ok, less ok is when their fleet rampages through my territory and destroys most of my mining stations because they're on the shortest path to another empire which failed to pay protection or somesuch :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

axeil posted:

Man this could be great. Reapers show up through wormhole or gate networks and start taking names. Give them a colossus that gradually depletes planetary pops (say randomly 1 to 3 per month? faster the lower planetary defenses are?) and each [x] number of pops that gets mulched spawns a new Reaper.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do you build FTL inhibitors? I got the technology and 2 random systems in my empire apparently have them. One I think I got from a fortress, the other was a more newly built station. But I see no way to add them to existing stations, or why the new station has one and the old stations don't. Do all my systems with starbases actually have the inhibitors and the map icons are bugged, or do I need to some how demolish my starbases and rebuild them to give them the new inhibitor tech?

I also have 2 starbases with identical upgrades, missile battery and gun battery but one has 480 combat power and one 460 combat power. What?

postcapt
Feb 27, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

I found out about this after I picked up the expansion from Steam. I could get a refund but meh.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/stellaris-apocalypse
Apocalypse for 15% off. Fanatical is legit, they're owned by Focus Multimedia.

You can apply the discount code "LUNAR8" for another 8% off.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Man this could be great. Reapers show up through wormhole or gate networks and start taking names. Give them a colossus that gradually depletes planetary pops (say randomly 1 to 3 per month? faster the lower planetary defenses are?) and each [x] number of pops that gets mulched spawns a new Reaper.

They could also go for Indoctrination Theory and let them spawn some kind of internal rebellion.

A crisis that messes up the hyperspace lanes would be interesting too.

Basically, Wiz please give us more crises, thank you.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What are your guys' thoughts on early corvette war on your nearest neighbour with 2.0? How many corvettes? I just tried it with 13 and kind of feels like I need maybe 15 or so. Problem is, I think the AI will just match my fleet. Perhaps colonizing 3rd planet was a mistake and I should have traded it for more corvettes.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I'd ask for a Shivan-themed Crisis but I doubt it could be mechanically distinct enough from the Unbidden to warrant the time or effort.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079

Now I can actually enter videogame hibernation.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
E: posted in new thread

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I wish I had an extra $20 right now

And a Blorg body pillow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Are you loving kidding me, I just found a ruined Dyson Sphere and Ring World right next to my starting system. Wow.

E: AND LIVING METAL

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 22, 2018

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

postcapt posted:

You can apply the discount code "LUNAR8" for another 8% off.

I got mine from uk.gamesplanet.com. £14 without any special discounts. That's 16€ but I guess that one's you linked is even better!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

poo poo I just clicked purchase, welp RIP my 3 bucks. Anyway jumping back into this game again for the first time in awhile.

E: I haven't played since fleets were one giant deathstack for the most part, what should I know about how they work now?

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

This is definitely what is going on, because I had the exact same thing. I eventually found a natural wormhole a few systems over, which I'm guessing links all the way to near the cultist systems.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bloody Pom posted:

Why has nobody made a Freespace ship pack yet?

Freespace's ship classes being loving weird might have something to do with it, honestly. Cruisers are the smallest and destroyers the largest, with corvettes and frigates in between :thunk:

Eh, it kind of makes sense when you think about it. It just represents the way technologies build on each other.

Cruisers -- first capital ships that could be self-sufficient and able to perform several roles, like our surface navy etymology. It's the initial standard for ships of the line in the GTA.
Destroyers -- bigger ships that excel at destroying smaller vessels (much like how the term destroyer comes from 'torpedo boat destroyer')
Corvette -- smaller than a destroyer but larger than a cruiser. Can't call them cruisers as they are bigger, meaner and because that designation is still in use and popular. In the age of destroyers and corvettes, the corvette is the smallest 'proper' warship -- much like how the term is used today. By the fs2 era, cruisers are just dogfood.
Frigate -- applies to only the Iceni and it's dubious as to whether the term 'command frigate' is anything beyond a way to designate the one of a kind NTF vessel. But frigates are fast and the Iceni is quick, too.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Wow the pace of this game is fukken glacial now. 2400, my fleet cap is barely over 200, and battleships haven't come up yet.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Literally unplayable.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I think I was like +125 on food by the time my last game was over. :psyduck:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Guys.

:siren: NEW THREAD :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
I joined a war with a fellow AI against a hated neighbor AI - but i think the friendly AI set the war goals. is there a way to control this or is it out of my hands?

anyone else experienced this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

• Locked thread