Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sjs00 posted:

This game is visually breathtaking!
I've never really gotten into the whole Warhammer 40k fandom; but I've always been very interested in it. Do you guys recommend any books that start more or less at the 'beginning' of the conflict? I wouldn't mind immersing myself in the lore
Otherwise I will be watching this LP for the amazing visuals and voice acting and of course explosions

I'd actually not recommend the Horus Heresy books, as they make real what should've been an age of larger than life myth, and humanize what should've been demigods.

Instead, I'd recommend the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series of books for a look at usual Imperial life, the book Fifteen Hours for the life of a Guardsman, this game for the Imperial Navy, the Dawn of War series of games for the Space Marines and the Faith and Fire books for the Adepta Sororitas. This way, you should have a pretty good handle on the signature factions of the Imperium.

And yes, the Adepta Sororitas are damned well signature :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually think the Caiaphas Cain and Gaunt's Ghosts series should be saved until a newbie has a better grasp of the Imperium, the former because most of the jokes within might not land as well as they could, while the latter might make Guardsmen look a shitload more badass than they usually are. I won't lie, they're both my favourite 40K series, but part of that is because I had a foundation of 40K knowledge to jump off.

Of course, you might have been just joking, but you should've known better than to poke the sperg in a 40K-related thread :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Beefeater1980 posted:

Don't read Ciaphas Cain until you have read at least a couple of George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman books though.

While the Flashman influences are apparent early on, I think Caiaphas Cain becomes his own character very quickly. That's just me though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cokerpilot posted:

Personally I think several of the Hours Heresy books do a good job of portraying the Primarchs as larger then life demigods but it can be hard to tell which ones are good and which ones aren't. T

Oh, don't get me wrong- some of them like Mechanicum and Legion can be good, it's just that on the whole I feel it's an age of legends that should stay that way :goonsay: It's not much help to a newbie either, if you ask me, as much of what makes the HH series good is contrasting it with the 41st Millenium proper.

EDIT: You sure you don't want to play on the easiest difficulty, Herp? It's just occurred to me that playing on Hard implies that the Imperium would have difficulty fighting off the forces of heresy :commissar:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 21, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Once we get a Battleship, I demand it be an Imperator named the Ignis Fides Invictus Imperator Dominus Aeternam (sorry for my terrible Latin).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wouldn't say Herp's commentary is inaudible, it's just that the makers of this game know how 40K works, and part of that involves PEOPLE SPEAKING JUST BELOW SHOUTING LEVEL ALL THE TIME*, PRAISE THE IMMORTAL GOD-EMPEROR!

*Unless you're an Ork, in which case DERE'S NO VOLUME BELOW SHOUTY, YA GIT!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perestroika posted:

Interesting choice on the Dictator. It's a pretty rare pick since the other choices are a bit flashier (and later it's overshadowed by the Mars), so it's nice to see one in action for a change. The long range and versatility is definitely a help for Imps.

I know everyone gets all :syoon: over the Dominator's Nova Cannon, but honestly, while its got the gold star in burst damage, I prefer the Dictator's versatility and constant, reliable damage, especially since you can autocast your fighters. The RPG books call it 'a fleet in a single vessel', and I'm definitely in agreement.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I actually prioritize the Micro-Warp Jump for pretty much the same reason I prefer the Dictator- it gives me a lot more tactical options than the other abilities.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not BFG-related, but if anyone's wondering if Sanctus Reach is worth buying, I have to say it's kind of a bust, sadly :( The game parts are good, make no mistake (though the Ork AI does mess up a few tiomes, which is to be expected), but from what I've played so far the campaign lacks the hammy charm that I think makes 40K what it is, and which is a major selling point to me at least.

Basically, if you're looking for a good TBS game, Sanctus Reach might scratch that itch. if you're looking for a good 40K game, you might want to look elsewhere; I'd suggest Warhammer 40K: Armageddon, which is basically a more modern Final Liberation, albeit without FMVs (still cheesy as hell though).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my dad posted:

And remember, it's not Eldar anymore, it's Aeldari.

are you loving kidding me

No seriously, are GW going Age of Sigmar on 40K now?

Veloxyll posted:

Apparently they may have advanced the Plot.
and The Eldar were ready to summon Ynaed, their Slaneesh killing Death God.
Ynaed just needed one more Eldar Soul to materialise. Eldred's. At which point his ego got in the way, and all the Craftworld's soulstones dissipated into the Warp

And once again, the Eldar gently caress things up for everyone. Goddamn space elves.

EDIT: Ah gently caress, it's true: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/01/40k-goodbye-eldar-hello-aeldari.html

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 25, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

See also the Imperial Guard, who have formally been the Astra Militarum for a year or two now.

Which is dumb, since IIRC a more proper Latin term would be Militest Astra or summat of the sort. Definitely sounds better than Astra Militarum, at least to me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Veloxyll posted:

After AOS took Warhammer Fantasy products from the 2nd largest wargame (as Fantasy) to bumfuck no-where with AOS.

Ahahaha, really? Got any stats/news links for this?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samovar posted:

I like the imagery of Spire at the end there talking about how he hopes to allay fears about him to rest, all the while having a medal that looks VERY much like a particular insignia...

To be fair, it is supposed to be a ship's wheel.

DatonKallandor posted:

I think Melta Torps don't have the armor piercing that regular torps do, so they're mostly good against Eldar, the backs of Orks, and other low armor targets.

Wait what? I thought the whole point of melta torpedoes was to pierce armour? Have things changed since I last played?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh right yeah I forgot :downs: To be honest, I think setting fires is much better than sheer damage, as they could wreck various systems- their DoT is just a bonus. That being said, I admit I've never really used torpedoes very often.

EDIT: A bit nitpicky, but Ciaphas Cain's first name is pronounced with a hard C, 'Kai-ah-fas' basically.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 25, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my dad posted:

That'd be me, in this thread. :v:

I posted that in the original thread in Games :smugbert:

(after stealing it from 4chan :shobon: )

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually like the Space Tomb Kings, but I can't see why they had to destroy the stuff you mentioned as well, along with Pariahs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What heresy is this? The best Legion totally-not-a-Legion are of course THE ULTRAMARINES! So Ultra! So Marine! So Space Roman you won't room on your genetically enhanced tiny head to hold all the laurel wreaths you shall surely earn by bitchslapping every daemon from the Ruinous Powers themselves down to the slightly possessed janitors in the Inquisitorial toilets! Every Marine wants to be the Ultramarines, and non-Codex compliant Chapters are simply playing hard to get, those silly Space Wolves! Yes sir, the Ultramarines truly live up to their name in both word and deed! ULTRA!

EDIT: But seriously though, I actually like the Salamanders and Space Wolves myself, even with the latter's current ALL WOLF ALL THE WOLFTIME shtick.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The best Chaos Space Marines are the Alpha Legion.

The best Loyalist Space Marines are the Alpha Legion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Calax posted:

No love for the Bloody Magpies?

I like them, and I'm still sour that the Deatchwatch tabletop RPG gave them some bland 'Knowledge is Power' shtick instead of the far superior 'start with another Chapter's Trapping' :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I'm talking specifically that campaign they ran around the release of the Eldar update where they brought out the ranger models they're using to this day. Everyone fighting over a planet that was about to get eaten by a warp storm. Can't for the life of me remember what they called it.

The Medusa V campaign? That's the only global campaign that comes to my mind that concerns planets being eaten by Warp Storms.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

In 40K there is no difference between good and ridiculous :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's been around since the first KotOR, though:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerhead-class_cruiser

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm going to be so disappointed if he isn't overpowered as hell. It's the goddamn Emperor. He didn't singlehandedly kick the rear end of the Chaos Gods in the warp (go go Horus) but he's close.

Same here- if the God-Emperor can't easily solo at least 1500 points of Movie Marines by himself, that'd be just sad. Also, this sort of thing is why I generally stay away from the 30K fluff- the Primarchs and the God-Emperor should have remained as nothing but legendary figures whose deeds remained as the stuff of legend. Humanizing them and giving them stats just, I dunno, makes these demigods and their divine father a bit too human, I guess.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aumanor posted:

Ferrus Manus?

Ol' Iron Hands of the Iron Hands who has Iron Hands is actually one of Primarchs whom I'd like to see come back (the other being Leman Russ), if only to see him slap the unhappy poo poo out of the brooding, tech-fetishistic robot emo kids his Chapter's become.

koolkevz666 posted:

That explanation about the Eldar is lacking a lot of information. The Ynnari go to Biel-Tan first and the craftworld is destroyed but not all the Biel-tan die and the death of the craft world helps to bring about the birth of the avatar of Ynnead. Then the herald, Yvaine and her followers go to Ulthwe to deal with the trial of Ulthred. Then they go to Iyandan or whatever it is called to help them and spread the word and recruit new followers and then they go help the Imperials. The reason they help the Imperials is because about the only race that could possibly stand up to the forces of Chaos is them, the other races have reasons for being no good.

I wonder how this is going to play into the DoW franchise, especially since Macha's a key player in it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have no problems with GeeDubs moving the plot forward, it's just that after the burning outhouse that was Age of Sigmar I have concerns about how they're going to do it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Because GW loves Space Marines, the Ultramarines are the Best Marines™, and Robot Girlyman is the most Ultra of the Ultramarines, and the Primarch every other Marine wished their Primarch was like.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Comstar posted:

Wait, what? That sounds like that the Star Trek Federation was the Dark Age of Technology. Age is about right too I think.

As I remember, in one of the Horus heresy books (I think it was Mechanicum) an Imperial ship fires at an Eldar vessel, misses, then rewinds time to shoot it again.

EDIT: Did a little research, and boy was I off the mark. The book's Priests of Mars, and it's not a HH-era ship, but an Ark Mechanicus (basically, a ship filled with the AdMech's best toys). Said toys included stuff like a black hole cannon, and instead of reversing time for itself, simply shifted the Eldar ship into the past so that its shot had always hit it. It's also implied that all the Arks Mechanicus are not just STCs, but self-updating STCs.

Basically, if the Imperium has a win condition it can achieve, it'd be in the hands of the techpriests.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 8, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Trazyn is perhaps the only being in the 40K universe whose kleptomaniac skill outshines that of the Blood Ravens.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

paragon1 posted:

So no one in the Imperium actually understands how to build these ships and their means of construction is basically preserved by centuries of inertia and habit, right?

Kind of; the higher-ups in the Mechanicus do have a solid grasp of science (albeit still couched in religious dogma), but lower-ranking Techpriests and the like do handle their duties by rote, and whatever guidance their scripture provides them. Thankfully, as been said before, Mechanicus religious texts are basically user manuals written in bad Latin and just by following their holy books a bunch of Techpriests can accomplish a great deal.

Also, simply being creative or inquisitive enough to want to find alternative solutions to things, without the kind of mental control decades (or even centuries) of devotion and experience bring, is just inviting demons to walk into your mind.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cythereal did say 'for the most part' :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samovar posted:

Also, Inquisitional? Shouldn't it be Inquisitorial?

It is, and there are several clues that the game was made primarily in French, before being translated to English. The translation's a good 'un, no mistake, but they do slip up a little- the most egregious is the 'High Energy Turn' which is what 'Come to New Heading' is known as in the regular English version.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bunnyofdoom posted:

I thought also some demon worlds in the EOT had their own shipyards too.

They also have the advantage of time not flowing as it should in the Warp, so they can spend all the time they need to tune up their ships. As long as they keep up the sacrifices to the Dark Gods, I'm sure they can kinda-sorta ensure that their ships come out when they need to.

EDIT: If and when we get Battleships, I'd like to remind Herp that I suggested the first Battleship name in the thread:

CommissarMega posted:

Once we get a Battleship, I demand it be an Imperator named the Ignis Fides Invictus Imperator Dominus Aeternam (sorry/not sorry for my terrible Latin).

That said, if it's too long, Ignis Fides Invictus Imperator Dominus would do just as well.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, at this point I wouldn't begrudge Herp for playing through again at the easiest difficulty so that he can get the true ending- after all, imnplying that this war was hard is surely heresy :commissar:

• Locked thread