Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

This game is visually breathtaking!
I've never really gotten into the whole Warhammer 40k fandom; but I've always been very interested in it. Do you guys recommend any books that start more or less at the 'beginning' of the conflict? I wouldn't mind immersing myself in the lore
Otherwise I will be watching this LP for the amazing visuals and voice acting and of course explosions

Here's the 40k book thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Horatio Hornblower of the HMS Indefagitable.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Isn't the Warp supposed to be anathema to the Necrons/C'tan, and that's why they built all the pylons, to stop the big giant Warp leak from getting bigger? Seems weird that the Deceiver would try to convince Abby to go wreck more planets with them.

I think warp energy/psychic powers are one of the only things able to fully kill a C'Tan, which is why when the Old Ones made the proto-Eldar and proto-Orks during the War in Heaven they made both able to throw around a shitton of psychic energy easily. Which riled up the mostly placid Warp, which caused the first Daemons to spawn, which resulted in the first three Chaos Gods (Tzeentch, Khorne, & Nurgle) forming, which eventually led to the current shitshow. Thanks, Old Ones!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

You can't pick Deathwatch as your favorite space marine chapter. That's like saying your favorite Beatles album is Beatles' Greatest Hits.

I don't particularly care for space marines. I like the hive scum of Necromunda and ork gangz of Gorkamorka.

I wish those games would get a Mordheim: City of the Damned type video game. That game is alright, by the way. Just don't expect fair multiplayer. And don't play the campaign missions, especially as Chaos. Unless you like turn-based teleporter mazes.

Oh, you mean this?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

Can someone post the humble bundle for Eternal Crusade? 7 bucks is just too good to be true and I can't seem to find it..

Here.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

New 40k edition will apparently have Roboute Guilliman coming back with a model, and a flaming sword once wielded by the emperor

It's confirmed.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Trazyn at work?

The Eldar finally managed to get Ynnead, God of the Dead, partially summoned (because Eldar making gods worked out so well the last time), but manage to destroy one of their biggest craftworlds, Biel-tan. The survivors from this - known as the Ynnari because they follow Ynnead, his herald Yvaine, and his avatar the Yncarne - retreat through the webway and meet up with the Imperial forces that fell back after Fall of Cadia. They both then go to Macragge where Yvraine uses her Aeldari magick to heal Big Bobby G.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Necrons
Plan: Wipe out all life in the universe. Again because the first time didn't take.
Failure: Life finds a way and they're sleepy groggy robots now which slows the whole process down a bit. Also they're really really scary too.
Outcome: Unable to mass a significant enough force to further their efforts, especially when everyone tends to stop fighting each other to make them go away for a bit (like the Tyranids.)

Edit: also this is somewhat old info combined with wider fiction than just the army books.

Shoeless posted:

From what I remember, and granted this is back from 4th edition before they retconned the 'crons, they didn't fail to wipe out all life the first time. They succeeded in harvesting all/almost of it, then decided to go hibernate while the galaxy repopulated itself with a new stock of Sentient Life-Os. Now it has and they're waking up to a full continental breakfast. Again, dunno how much that's been changed/impacted by newcrons. But that's what it used to be.

Newcron lore pretty significantly torpedoes that. The new lore is that they were once mortal beings with very short lifespans who declared war on the Old Ones(tm) for the crime of 'being immortal'. 'Crons get their asses handed to them because the Old Ones used the webway to outmaneuver them constantly. Sometime later Szarekh the Silent King decides to make a pact with star vampires (as in, they literally suck the life out of stars) called C'Tan to get turned into robots. A second war between the Necrons/C'Tan and Old Ones erupts, but the enhanced firepower/toughness of the robo-crons makes the Old Ones create the proto-Eldar and proto-Orks as meatshields (whose prodigious use of psychic powers, in turn, roils the once-calm Warp into the Chaos-filled Hell we know now). This ends with the remaining Old Ones loving off to another galaxy (and possibly creating the Tyranids) but Szarekh realizing that he literally sold his people's souls to the C'Tan, so he comes up with a plan to destroy them after they feast on said souls, shattering most of them except Llandu'gor, who was killed, and possibly the Void Dragon, if it is a captured C'Tan.

After this, the remaining Necron nobility realizes that even though they are immortal, they would still succumb to madness after a few eternities, so they decided to take a few-million-year nap until they were ready to rebuild their lost empire. This left the galaxy to the ascendant Eldar, who, of course, hosed everything up (literally). Szarekh then decided to exile himself and fled to intergalactic space, because penance and all that. Then he encountered the 'nids, noped all the way back the Milky Way, and started waking up dormant Tomb Worlds to fight the menace.

Some of these Tomb Worlds, and their nobles, have gone a little...strange intervening millenia. Some of them think they're still mortal and fighting a civil war. Some have had their memories wiped and are nothing more than mindless robots. One lord is an undead robot pirate.

Their endgame has also changed a lot. Some dynasties do want to extinguish all life and rule over an undying galaxy of robot skeletons. Others want to keep the fleshbags around as slaves. Others use the younger races as experiments in order to reform their own fleshy bodies. And some just want those damned kids off of their lawns.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

One lord is an undead robot pirate.

I'm sorry what? Please tell us more while I start planning next month's GW purchases and think of conversions to be done for this.

Cythereal posted:

Trazyn the Infinite is a collector. A collector of the rare and priceless in his tesseract vaults, and his collection is something to behold - he's got Custodes in there. He's got most of a Craftworld. He's got a [maybe] Primarch.

I'm actually talking about Thaszar the Invincible of the Sarneck Dynasty, who is a literal undead robot space pirate.

But, yes, Trazyn is pretty great.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Boaty McBoatFace captained by Captain Captain McCaptainFace

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So when do we get our Battleships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Cy Pherr of the Loyalist Dark Angel Space Cruiser.

I'm not a traitor. Not at all.

• Locked thread