Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I started playing this before my gaming pc broke and I was having fun right up to a certain mission, not going to say which yet because spoilers. Even when they don't cause a game over it can be annoying.

Also did anyone notice the shadow in the opening cinematic for the crone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I know what you're talking about, and that is actually the canon route: You are meant to lose those missions.

Nah it likely isn't that mission and for all I know you may have played the mission this is what I get for commenting before watching the video.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh, it's a prologue mission? The Orks can be a pain if you don't grab a Cruiser at Port Maw.

It was the First data capture mission. The AI did one thing that stopped me from winning and now I look forward to seeing if you can do better than me which I am sure you will. Also yeah Orkz can be awful to fight if they catch you wrong.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I don't mind the name change for the Eldar and they have said you can keep calling them Eldar and I am quite glad to see the story moving along some what. Also I think the new Eldar models coming look pretty cool. Just my opinion.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

That shows a number of sci-fi ships so you can compare sizes.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So this is the data retrieval mission that pissed me off. The Chaos ship ran for the board edge I finally got one cruiser close enough to board it, did so got the plans and then they grabbed the plans back and jumped away before my second cruiser got close enough. Was so annoyed I stopped playing right there even though I didn't need to, immediately taking the plans back is stupid especially when you aren't prepared or warned about it.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Iretep posted:

Arguably most of the crusades have not been to the best intrest of chaos even if they like to pretend every one of them had been a massive victory.

See the Fall of Cadia book for the true purpose of the Black Crusades being revealed.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Comstar posted:

So..err...what was it? I thought the point was to destroy Cadia to err..close the gate I guess? Seeing as the pylons on the planet was what was keeping the area clear of warp stones?

Fall of cadia minor spoilers/black crusades spoilers. Read at your own risk.

It turns out that cadia was not the only planet with pylons on it and these pylons spread across multiple planets are what keeps the eye of terror from expanding. So now the writers have made it so that each or at least some of the past black crusades were Abbadon finding said planets and wiping out all the pylons on them by orbital bombardment so that the eye of terror could grow bigger. Take what you want from that.

Veloxyll posted:

It always confuses me how Chaos themselves have to use the Cadian gate. Like. can they not use all their sorcerors and demons to make their own paths out?

Haha no, not at all. One thing that doesn't quite get explained well is that all of those chaos ships you see flying around also have to use their Gellar fields to keep out the demons when travelling through the warp and/or the more dangerous parts of the eye of terror. If they didn't then the super powerful but still mortal chaos marines onboard would be possessed by said demons and if not them them the thousands of mortal slaves they use to keep their ships running.

In fact in a lot of the chaos books you find out that the demons that a lot of the sorcerers summon are only serving them because they are bound and forced to.

One of my favourite examples of the relationship chaos marines have with demons is from the Talon of Horus book, where the protagonist Thousand Sun Sorcerer opens a portal for him and his chaos buddies including a funny world eater marine to escape and as soon as he opens said portal both he and his mates and the soldiers back on his ship facing the other portal are immediately attacked by chaos demons.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

DatonKallandor posted:

I think they considered the Blackstone Fortresses more of a problem than the Pylons getting destroyed. Especially since they can probably just build new pylons but the Eldar can't build new fortresses.

This and it should be mentioned that other than that shadow, there is no other evidence of the Necrons being involved in swaying Abbadon. At least as far as I can remember he Gothic rule book and story just said that Abbadon was here for some artifacts and the fortresses. I don't believe it ever really said why he wanted them either.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
That explanation about the Eldar is lacking a lot of information. The Ynnari go to Biel-Tan first and the craftworld is destroyed but not all the Biel-tan die and the death of the craft world helps to bring about the birth of the avatar of Ynnead. Then the herald, Yvaine and her followers go to Ulthwe to deal with the trial of Ulthred. Then they go to Iyandan or whatever it is called to help them and spread the word and recruit new followers and then they go help the Imperials. The reason they help the Imperials is because about the only race that could possibly stand up to the forces of Chaos is them, the other races have reasons for being no good.

As for bringing back the Primarch of the Ultramarines it makes sense. The Ultramarines are the poster child of Warhammer 40k and so they would of course bring back him first, the rest will likely follow.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
For those worried about this being the end times of 40k GW has said it isn't they are just moving the plot along. Also even though xeno sorcery was used no one actually knows any details yet as that is in the March book, this one about the Eldar is all about the Eldar finding a way to avoid being eaten by Slannesh as well as powering their new god to destroy Slannesh. So far I quite like how the story sounds, it is at least proving interesting.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
As for the Tau they recently had their priorities changed after the Kauyon and Mont'ka books. Thanks to the actions of those two books the Tau took a heavy beating and a loss of a very important person and now they are switching from expanding and invite people to WAR! Kill all none tau!.

Also the Mechanicus set the area of space between the Imperium and the Tau Empire on Fire! Now I don't know how that works.

Edit:

JT Jag posted:

A complete STC getting in the hands of either the Mechanicus or Dark Mechanicus would be all but a victory condition for the Imperium or Chaos respectively

I mean, access to a full STC means you can just start building Titans and Battleships again, not to mention start providing the populace with lostek like vaccines and inexpensive genetically engineered food.

Unless it is an STC for toothpaste or something silly. Remember each STC corresponds to certain piece of equipment and half the time they don't even know that it makes until they try and turn it on.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Perestroika posted:

It may have changed in the meantime, but IIRC the term is often used for two separate things: A proper "full" STC was a computer system that contained basically all the combined technological knowledge and plans for everything ever. You could basically go up there, tell it you want to build a bunch of tanks but only have wood and granite as your resources, and it'd spit out detailed schematics and step-by-step guides on how to do the whole thing from the bottom up. Kind of like a ridiculously advanced wikihow, except actually useful. Each colony would have at least one of those, allowing them to quickly build up with minimal previous know-how required.

Now, all of those full STCs are assumed to be lost forever. What does however survive are hard copies of individual schematics and plans found within them, which are also called STCs for some reason. These may just be fairly simple things, such as blueprints for an advanced combat knife. There are a fair few of these scattered around, and not all of them are actually useful to the Imperium. Some have been found detailing powerful warmachines, but the AdMech has no idea how to even begin building them. Imagine finding the construction specs and blueprints for a modern computer, while you don't even have the infrastructure to produce simple transistors.

Edit: Sometimes the STCs also incorporate automated factories. So you'd just dial in what you want, throw in a bunch of requested raw materials in one end, and receive a shiny new tank out the other. Presumably the original full STCs also had that functionality, making them even more valuable.

Ah my bad and I apologise I only knew of the less advanced versions of the STCs, never knew they had full database versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
One lord is an undead robot pirate.

I'm sorry what? Please tell us more while I start planning next month's GW purchases and think of conversions to be done for this.

• Locked thread