Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The Real Golden Rule: Treat others how they want to treat others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

people aren't problems, yo

maybe their opinions are lovely but opinions aren't problems either unless those opinions get acted on in a harmful way, then those actions do get pretty punchworthy

no one's listened to a spencer interview and immediately gone and thrown all their jewish neighbors in a concentration camp afaik, could be wrong though, things can get pretty fuckin weird in the rednecky parts of the 'states

Nazism is harmful. There's no non-harmful way to put nazism into action. Some opinions, like nazism, are dangerous and harmful on their own and you shouldn't just stand around going "well they haven't actually carried out their horrific ideals yet." Try to think of nazism as essentially conspiracy to commit genocide.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Well the main difference between nazism and neo-nazism is the neo kind don't care so much about the economic parts of nazism and just jump straight to the white supremacy and kill all the untermenschen parts.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Just because your economic policies are terrible doesn't mean you don't have them. Ask Republicans.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

AARO posted:

You guys are just making up your own rules. Why should anyone listen to you? You have no principles, you just make up your own morality as you go along.

"He 'calls for' genocide so I can justifiably punch him." This is incorrect. Those who respect constitutional rights know that "No matter what he 'calls for' you cannot justifiably punch him solely based on that act of calling for something." It is not ok to inflict violence on people solely on the basis of them expressing their thoughts, regardless of how abhorrent their thoughts may be.

Yes, having a personal moral code is all about making up your own rules. And hopefully you consider the words of others and actually think through them. But it's not at all about just copying what someone else wrote down somewhere.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

AARO posted:

In the USA in the 1950's a man who openly said he was gay could very easily get punched in the face by any white Christian male onlooker. Even it it wasn't legal to punch this man for his mere act of saying he was gay, I'm sure large parts of 1950's America would have said the assault was moral.

Richard Spencer is a disgusting rear end in a top hat and I hope he dies. However, I don't think we should normalize punching people for mere speech. I think it sets a dangerous precedent. We need to be a people who values free thought so much that we tolerate even the most abhorrent despicable speech of assholes.

Unfortunate thing is that authoritarians and nazis and fascists and their ilk don't give a gently caress about precedent so we can't just set an example for them and expect them to follow it. Nazis aren't people who won't think about using violence if you don't use it first. You can't be afraid to use tactics just because it's bad when bad people use those tactics. The violence meted out on homosexuals for being homosexual was and is bad because it's violence meted out on people for being homosexuals. It's not evidence of a universal violence is always bad rule.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I'm kinda mad at the bystander that tried to unmask the hitter tbh.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Lightning Knight posted:

Reflexively defending people under attack makes you a good person, which puts him ahead of Actual Nazi Richard Spencer.

Ok that's fair. I can forgive a reflex that kicks in before you remember it was a nazi getting hit.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

AARO posted:

Is it morally ok to beat my wife if she hates Mongolians?

Not legally ok, just morally guys.

No. But if she progresses to actively advocating for the genocide of Mongolians you should definitely divorce her. Then when it's gone through and you're no longer in a domestic relationship with her you can go ahead and punch her for being a genocide advocate.

Hope this helps.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Wild Horses posted:

I just don't trust an assortment of anarchists and communists to draw the line for me.
Imo nazis should be arrested by police and forced to disperse whenever possible.
Leaving that job to citizens is just sloppy

And when police straight up refuse to do this?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Wild Horses posted:

which police, where?

pass real laws making it very hard for nazis to use their favorite iconography etc when walking around, meet in large groups etc.
this means changing your presumably american constitution i think? so that's kinda hard

Well the problem in America is the rather nazi-sympathetic government in power right now so nazis are not going to get solved by police.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

and what it comes down to is that i don't believe that a fascist uprising of the kind that occurred in the 1920s and 1930s as capable of recurring, due to societal changes since that time, so i don't see the threat as imminent enough that it needs to be physically opposed, only ideologically

At last.

Now, if you did believe that a fascist uprising could occur, would you then be okay with violence against nazis now in an attempt to stop it from happening?

If not, would you change your mind if you were transported back to pre-nazi Germany and knew for a fact that the nazis would come to power if you did nothing?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

depends on how likely the uprising was, like if there was some rear end in a top hat on tv trying to convince people to destroy a specific race of people because those people weren't the ubermensch and weren't going to take well to the idea of throwing away their individuality and working collectively for the idea of America Itself then yeah, it might be time to do something, but i don't have the gut feeling that we're all hosed just yet

as for the second question, i suspect that if i was in pre-nazi germany i'd mostly be worrying about trying to get a job, not about who's in power up top

See this is why many of us have always feared that the rise of fascism is very possible in our time. It's also why it's very disheartening to hear liberals blame racism instead of economics for Trump's victory. Yes there was racism. Lots of racism. But the racism was already there. The racists were already for the Republicans. The problem is the people very mild for, mild against, or indifferent to racism. When those people get stressed they stop caring who promises them help and will turn to whichever side is promising relief. You just said that you would be too busy trying to get a job to fight literal OG Nazis in pre-nazi Germany. Well, there are people today who are too busy looking for a job, or a job that will let them work sane hours, or live a decent life to fight the current fascists and literal neo-nazis. If liberals won't deprive nazis of prime recruiting conditions, then antifa definitely need to suppress nazis or they will continue to rise.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

FreeKillB posted:

is the quote that set me off, but I noticed that soon after, there was :

So not quite "all Republicans should be punched" in retrospect, but still "all Republicans should live in fear of being punched", which is still quite over the line for me.

Republicans already live in fear of all kinds of poo poo that will never happen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Pseudo-God posted:

I really am shocked how you people can't see that justifying violence against people for having an opinion, no matter how reprehensible or genocidal, is the opening of a Pandora's Box. If you say "you are allowed to punch Nazis because they present a grave threat to our way of life", you open the way for anyone to justify violence against others based on how they interpret "grave threat to our way of life". Some examples:

People think and do that poo poo anyway. If we were talking about introducing violence into a world free of it then I'd quite possibly agree with you. Unleashing violence into the world would be a horrible thing. But it's already here, and no matter what we do we can't stop others from doing violence. We have laws in place to blanket suppress violence and that's fine if we don't want the state to decide what is okay violence and what is not (although it does, and it seems to think its own violence is perfectly good and everyone else's is bad). But we decide for ourselves what feels right to ourselves, and should not worry about what other people will try to justify with our actions if we deem them righteous.

• Locked thread