Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

Trump said protestors at his rallies should be roughed up. This means that he wants Democrats to be afraid of disruptive political speech in the specific context of Trump rallies. (e: Note that political speech that is disruptive of others' political expression is tautologically not a universal right. Violence against protestors is, of course, bad.)

Calling for all political speech of all Democrats to be curtailed in all public contexts is the analogue of what you're shooting for.

What I'm saying is: what you said is worse that what Trump said. Even if you fudge things to put them at roughly the same level of bad, that should be real concerning.

1) Actually Republicans are doing this
2) This logic isn't valid for members of hate groups who dogwhistle (or otherwise call) for genocide and ethinic cleansing.

Pseudo-God posted:

Due process, what's that? It's easy to justify your political violence when you feel you are doing it for a righteous cause, but do we really want to live in a society where we feel justified in attacking our fellow citizens based on the perceived assessment of their character? It is entirely possible for an individual to be smeared in public and then mobbed to death by a group that thinks it is doing the right thing, or for someone's words to be taken out of context and then it becomes open season. And if they try to defend their words, who is gonna listen to a Nazi anyway?

I am really shocked by the number of people condoning violence on their political opponents. It's extremely shortsighted, and people who do this fail to see that this mentality can shift against them as their own opinions become the unpopular ones and their enemies get power. Right wingers would then be perfectly justified in violence against "leftists", "communists", "degenerates", "SJWs", and any perceived social ill.

They are not just political opponents. Like I wouldn't say "punch Mike Pence" even though I hate the gently caress, but I will totally call for bashing the fash because they are a hate group

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Figure this might be vaguely relevant to the thread.

https://twitter.com/deathbyliberals/status/824699591388004353

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

1) Actually Republicans are doing this
If by "this" you mean "calling to curtail all political speech of Democrats in all public contexts", I'm going to ask for something in the way of example. By Republicans, do you mean Republican officeholders, average Republican voters, or specific extremists lying within the Republican base? I will be shocked if it's the first, surprised if it's the second, and underwhelmed if it's the third. In the context I was talking about generic Republicans, who are not all neo-Nazis.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm curious for those insistent on perfect pacifism

You're curious because you obviously never so much as spoken with one in the past or actually read their writings with the intent to understand.

An honest to God pacifist isn't going to try to compromise with a Nazi any more than you would. They might try to use moral suasion to get them to back down, they might try place themselves between them and their intended victim, or offer themselves in exchange. They might even engage in public self harm to try to shame the Nazi into backing down, but people who are truly committed to the ideals of nonviolence aren't the capitulating idiots you seem to want to strawman them as. Their values are going to be for the most part the same as yours, except that they will shun violence wherever possible, often at great cost, both physical and social, to themselves.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

If by "this" you mean "calling to curtail all political speech of Democrats in all public contexts", I'm going to ask for something in the way of example. By Republicans, do you mean Republican officeholders, average Republican voters, or specific extremists lying within the Republican base? I will be shocked if it's the first, surprised if it's the second, and underwhelmed if it's the third. In the context I was talking about generic Republicans, who are not all neo-Nazis.

"Free Speech Zones"

Gonna be all the rage in a month or two!!

Keeshhound posted:

You're curious because you obviously never so much as spoken with one in the past or actually read their writings with the intent to understand.

An honest to God pacifist isn't going to try to compromise with a Nazi any more than you would. They might try to use moral suasion to get them to back down, they might try place themselves between them and their intended victim, or offer themselves in exchange. They might even engage in public self harm to try to shame the Nazi into backing down, but people who are truly committed to the ideals of nonviolence aren't the capitulating idiots you seem to want to strawman them as. Their values are going to be for the most part the same as yours, except that they will shun violence wherever possible, often at great cost, both physical and social, to themselves.

Ah now we're getting somewhere. Are you absolutely sure these perfect pacifists were really that perfect or are you perhaps just believing in a white-washed version of their lives? Cause despite calling for a peaceful revolt, MLK does not meet your standards.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

That's precisely why I chose 'those insistent on perfect pacifism', because pacifists have an answer, and it generally isn't 'capitulating to Nazis'.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
"Free Speech Zones" aren't a new development. I remember a lot of buzz about their use in the Bush administration, and while I agree that they have a stifling effect on political protests, matters were still MILES away from "Calling for all political speech of all Democrats to be curtailed in all public contexts ", i.e., de facto complete supression of the entire Democratic party.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I'm something of a lapsed pacifist. Up until about 7-8 months ago, when a sitting member of parliament was murdered in the street in broad daylight by a mentally ill neonazi radicalised by far right rhetoric (and the mainstream press) here in the UK, you'd have found no stauncher a proponent of nonviolence than myself. After that watershed moment, however, I did a good deal of soul-searching and eventually concluded that the active prevention and suppression of fascist rhetoric is rather pressing and important and can lamentably only be effectively pursued by speaking to them in a language they understand.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

"Free Speech Zones" aren't a new development. I remember a lot of buzz about their use in the Bush administration, and while I agree that they have a stifling effect on political protests, matters were still MILES away from "Calling for all political speech of all Democrats to be curtailed in all public contexts ", i.e., de facto complete supression of the entire Democratic party.

So those are not a slippery slope but punching members of a hate group is?

Do you get why I keep bolding that bit? It's because everyone is framing this as a difference of political opinions and it's totally not. There is nothing political about calling for the deaths of members of a race, no mater how much the side calling for it is trying to say it is. If you say otherwise, you're buying into their false rhetoric.
I really should never have engaged with you on the political side of this tbh. This has nothing to do with democrats, republicans, Trump or whatever. Nazis deserve to be punched and otherized based on their beliefs alone.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 27, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I don't think you even need a slippery slope argument to say that that's wrong. The ends don't justify the means. Or, to quote King, "it is wrong to use immoral means to attain moral ends."

I'm not saying that erosion of our norms of free speech aren't alarming. I was claiming that Republicans aren't currently calling for the complete abrogation of free speech rights, ie that the party in general currently hasn't totally abandoned our shared democratic norms. I don't see how a descriptive statement about present conditions is something where the slippery slope argument is applicable.

e:^^^^ I assumed you were doing the bolding thing for shock value as an argumentative tactic, to be honest. My view is that while Nazi ideology is far removed from a realm of sane politics, it is absolutely a political position. My view of this thread is discussing whether protections afforded ordinary political speech should be extended to extremely loathsome political speech.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 27, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

In other words, "I'm perfectly happy living in a authoritarian society, as long as they're my type of authoritarians." No thanks.
I am. I realized that liberalism didn't just fail here it has failed for fifty years.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 27, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

Counterpoint: Republicans calling anyone to the left of the John Birch Society is anti-American traitors seems to have paid dividends. You can't shake hands with a clenched fist. But you can punch back.

We really need to wrap ourselves around the flag start identifying with Lincoln John Brown and Harriet Tubman.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

FreeKillB posted:

e:^^^^ I assumed you were doing the bolding thing for shock value as an argumentative tactic, to be honest. My view is that while Nazi ideology is far removed from a realm of sane politics, it is absolutely a political position. My view of this thread is discussing whether protections afforded ordinary political speech should be extended to extremely loathsome political speech

Let me debate Nazis but only if you let me divorce their views from their inevitable political and genocidal consequences. :qq:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

We really need to wrap ourselves around the flag start identifying with Lincoln John Brown and Harriet Tubman.

This but unironically.

There should be a statue of John Brown on the town square of every town and in the capitol of every city.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FreeKillB posted:

I don't think you even need a slippery slope argument to say that that's wrong. The ends don't justify the means. Or, to quote King, "it is wrong to use immoral means to attain moral ends."

what no it's never wrong to punch nazis

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

This but unironically.

There should be a statue of John Brown on the town square of every town and in the capitol of every city.

I'm not ironic. I want the burning of Atlanta my ancestors took part in to be a national holiday.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

FreeKillB posted:

I was claiming that Republicans aren't currently calling for the complete abrogation of free speech rights, ie that the party in general currently hasn't totally abandoned our shared democratic norms.
Yeah they're only trying to make sure black people can't vote. Again.

Totally different.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I mean I guess using dirty tricks and, when that fails, outright violence to limit the franchise based on the color of one's skin, shouldn't count as abandoning our shared democratic values if you take a longer view of our history. So, point taken, FreeKillB.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

Figure this might be vaguely relevant to the thread.

https://twitter.com/deathbyliberals/status/824699591388004353

First reply

impressive the amount of Trump supporters that are deeply committed pacifists, it's making me reevaluate my political position. Maybe Trump isn't that bad if such staunch pacifists back him up.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Yeah they're only trying to make sure black people can't vote. Again.

Totally different.
Republicans are bad, yes, and they are chipping away at the progress we've made towards being a free and open society. However, most Republican voters wouldn't say they are in favor of vote suppression, they would say they're against voter fraud. This makes them misguided, not monsters.

Again, I will reiterate that my core point in this particular back and forth was that

Kilroy posted:

It would be the start of Republicans being afraid to say Republican things in mixed company out of fear of being assaulted. That's bad if you're a Republican, and good if you're literally anyone else interested in a healthy civic society.

Republicans are anti-democratic, do you not understand this? If you want democracy you have to do whatever you need to do to protect democracy against those who want to destroy it. If you forced to make a choice between democracy and freedom of speech, you choose democracy.
makes no sense, in that I can't read it in any way other than "we must destroy our democratic norms in order to protect our democratic norms".

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 27, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FreeKillB posted:

Republicans are bad, yes, and they are chipping away at the progress we've made towards being a free and open society. However, most Republican voters wouldn't say they are in favor of vote suppression, they would say they're against voter fraud. This makes them misguided, not monsters.

As someone who's talked with a lot of Republicans, much of the time it's an excuse. Despite complaining about political correctness, they use a lot of euphemisms and dog whistles to hide what they really mean. A lot are A-OK with black people not voting. Same reason there's so much concern over the "inner cities".

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Would you say that this is a sample of politically active Republicans, or of all Republican voters? I'm not trying to troll here, my belief was that being OK with voter suppression was fine with the base/primary voters but not necessarily with the bulk of Republicans/general election voters. I will admit that I may be giving the broader group too much credit.

(not that I would say they should be denied political freedoms on account of their being OK with denying political freedoms to others)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

This is a five year old's conception of morality. The heroes are perfect and never wrong, the villains are irredemable, evil for it's own sake, always lose and no one ever dies. I'm pretty sure even GI Joe has more nuance than this.

So here's a hot take: Maybe nazis actually are evil and maybe you can't defeat them without actually trying.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Whole lotta people itt saying that Nazis don't deserve to be punched. Weird.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Whole lotta people itt saying that Nazis don't deserve to be punched. Weird.

Republicans literally spend 16 years straight dehumanizing the opposition, disrespecting the President of the United States, and decades beyond that trying their level best to suppress liberal voters, suddenly clutch their pearls in concern when their closest partners in crime get punched in the face.

It's the same horseshit mentality that has Mitch McConnel crying misery about how obstructive those mean Demoncrats are being towards the new president, completely pretending the last eight years Didn't loving Happen.

Keep punching fascists, because violence and oppression is the only thing that gets through to them.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FreeKillB posted:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I'm sorry if I offended.

Do you then say that the ends justify the means?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

America turning MLK's message into "just suffer abuse because it's impolite to do otherwise; eventually your oppressor will be magnanimous and stop" was pure evil genius. Especially since he was shot.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
I really am shocked how you people can't see that justifying violence against people for having an opinion, no matter how reprehensible or genocidal, is the opening of a Pandora's Box. If you say "you are allowed to punch Nazis because they present a grave threat to our way of life", you open the way for anyone to justify violence against others based on how they interpret "grave threat to our way of life". Some examples:

"We must kill abortion doctors and bomb their clinics, since abortion is responsible for the murder of millions of innocents."
"We must kill all communists in South America and install dictators in their countries, since their ideology is an existential threat to the United States."
"We must kill all kuffar and destroy the west, since liberalism and western democracy leads people away from true Islam and ultimately damns the world to hell."
"We must bomb and destroy these symbols of capitalism (banks, limos, police stations), since the white cisheteronormative capitalist colonialist patriarchy is responsible for so much suffering and death in the world".

Put yourself in the shoes of anyone who feels strongly about any social cause and you will find justification for the death and destruction of their enemies.

"Agree to disagree" is what our political system depends on for stability. Some idiots here have decided to interpret that as "We should allow the Nazis to do whatever they want until they form the Reich, because opposing them would be wrong". Your opposition should be proportional to the threat posed, and a guy talking to a reporter is NO THREAT AT ALL. The mere existence of people who hold reprehensible views is NO BIG DEAL. You would be shocked how many people wish for the death of their "enemies", even for stupid reasons, doesn't mean we now have to hunt them down in the streets.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Pseudo-God posted:

I really am shocked how you people can't see that justifying violence against people for having an opinion, no matter how reprehensible or genocidal, is the opening of a Pandora's Box. If you say "you are allowed to punch Nazis because they present a grave threat to our way of life", you open the way for anyone to justify violence against others based on how they interpret "grave threat to our way of life". Some examples:

"We must kill abortion doctors and bomb their clinics, since abortion is responsible for the murder of millions of innocents."
"We must kill all communists in South America and install dictators in their countries, since their ideology is an existential threat to the United States."
"We must kill all kuffar and destroy the west, since liberalism and western democracy leads people away from true Islam and ultimately damns the world to hell."
"We must bomb and destroy these symbols of capitalism (banks, limos, police stations), since the white cisheteronormative capitalist colonialist patriarchy is responsible for so much suffering and death in the world".

Put yourself in the shoes of anyone who feels strongly about any social cause and you will find justification for the death and destruction of their enemies.

"Agree to disagree" is what our political system depends on for stability. Some idiots here have decided to interpret that as "We should allow the Nazis to do whatever they want until they form the Reich, because opposing them would be wrong". Your opposition should be proportional to the threat posed, and a guy talking to a reporter is NO THREAT AT ALL. The mere existence of people who hold reprehensible views is NO BIG DEAL. You would be shocked how many people wish for the death of their "enemies", even for stupid reasons, doesn't mean we now have to hunt them down in the streets.

What should black people (and hispanic people, etc) do now that they're seeing their right to vote taken away in places around the US?

Should they sit around and politely ask white people to save them, when white people are the ones disenfranchising them?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

when the poo poo hits the fan cis people are going to throw me under the loving bus

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SSNeoman posted:

Ah now we're getting somewhere. Are you absolutely sure these perfect pacifists were really that perfect or are you perhaps just believing in a white-washed version of their lives? Cause despite calling for a peaceful revolt, MLK does not meet your standards.

Five minutes with Wikipedia would give you the answers you need:

"Wikipedia posted:

...The French pacifists André and Magda Trocmé helped conceal hundreds of Jews fleeing the Nazis in the village of Le Chambon-sur-Lignon.[57][58] After the war, the Trocmés were declared Righteous Among the Nations.[57]

Pacifists in the Third Reich were dealt with harshly; German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky,[59] and Olaf Kullmann, a Norwegian pacifist active during the Nazi occupation,[60] were both imprisoned in concentration camps and died as a result of their mistreatment there. Austrian farmer Franz Jägerstätter was executed in 1943 for refusing to serve in the Wehrmacht.[61]

After the end of the war, it was discovered that "The Black Book" or Sonderfahndungsliste G.B. list of Britons to be arrested in the event of a Nazi invasion of the UK included three active pacifists; Vera Brittain, Sybil Thorndike and Aldous Huxley (who had left the country).[62][63]

There were conscientious objectors and war tax resisters in both World War I and World War II. The United States government allowed sincere objectors to serve in noncombatant military roles. However, those draft resisters who refused any cooperation with the war effort often spent much of each war in federal prisons. During World War II, pacifist leaders like Dorothy Day and Ammon Hennacy of the Catholic Worker Movement urged young Americans not to enlist in military service.

Incidentally, "non-combat roles" included participation in a number of medical studies, including the effects of long term starvation and human trials of drugs and vaccines. Quite a bit of the medicine we take for granted today is built on their sacrifices.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

SpaceGoku posted:

What should black people (and hispanic people, etc) do now that they're seeing their right to vote taken away in places around the US?

Should they sit around and politely ask white people to save them, when white people are the ones disenfranchising them?

It's like you people have no sense of nuance or proportion. Like I said, your response to adversity should be proportional to the threat posed. This is why we have BLM protests in the US today, and why it is justified to kill a Nazi when he presents a credible threat to your life. No reasonable person would go and tell the Jews at the Warsaw Uprising that "you guys should just chill, don't you know that killing your enemies is wrong?".

Incidentally, this is why a lot of people oppose BLM and the Women's March, not because they hate blacks or women, but because they think that the protests are too much, they don't really have it that bad. They have no perspective from the lives of the people affected to see their justification for these protests.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pseudo-God posted:

It's like you people have no sense of nuance or proportion.

In state prisons, African-Americans are incarcerated at 5.1 times the rate of whites.
Five states — Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, Vermont, and Wisconsin — have a disparity of more than 10 to 1.
Twelve states have prison populations that were more than half black: Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.
Maryland has a prison population that’s 72 percent black.
In 11 states, at least 1 in 20 adult African-American men is in prison. In Oklahoma, it’s 1 in 15.
Latinos are incarcerated at 1.4 times the rate of whites.
Disparities between imprisonment rates for Hispanics and whites are particularly high in Massachusetts (4.3:1), Connecticut (3.9:1), Pennsylvania (3.3:1), and New York (3.1:1)

You are a sheltered little prick and it'll be a lot of innocent blood before republican america understands "nuance"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pseudo-God posted:

It's like you people have no sense of nuance or proportion. Like I said, your response to adversity should be proportional to the threat posed. This is why we have BLM protests in the US today, and why it is justified to kill a Nazi when he presents a credible threat to your life. No reasonable person would go and tell the Jews at the Warsaw Uprising that "you guys should just chill, don't you know that killing your enemies is wrong?".

But apparently a reasonable person would ask the jews in the Warsaw Ghetto to just chill up until the very moment the SS kicks in the door and starts shooting?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Pseudo-God posted:

Incidentally, this is why a lot of people oppose BLM and the Women's March, not because they hate blacks or women, but because they think that the protests are too much, they don't really have it that bad. They have no perspective from the lives of the people affected to see their justification for these protests.

A lot of those minorities who were actively disenfranchised last election have been protesting. It didn't work. They were still disenfranchised.

There is already a significant threat to millions of americans because of right-wing extremism, and right-wing extremism isn't going away, it's only going to increase.

Americans with green cards who left the country before the inauguration have been denied re-entry. What are they supposed to do now? They can't come back to the country that has become their home.

Trump is pushing hard for his election fraud conspiracy and if he can get traction with that it will advance the cause of minority disenfranchisement at the federal level, which may not be possible to undo. The man running Trump's WH is a member of the same political faction that Spencer and others of his ilk influence with their neo-nazi philosophy.

Maybe. Just maybe. It is now the time to start giving nazis bruises so they shut up and go away. Letting them talk it out only ever legitimizes them, and we've been letting them talk it out for a long time.

"Agree to disagree" is an asinine philosophy, because it contains the assumption that "both of our viewpoints are equally valid." Nazism should never be validated. The fact that people want to even allow it into the public discourse is inherently dangerous and ignorant.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Pseudo-God posted:

yeah, maybe you're right, may we should look at this with some more nuance and see th-

nope, bash the fash

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Radish posted:

America turning MLK's message into "just suffer abuse because it's impolite to do otherwise; eventually your oppressor will be magnanimous and stop" was pure evil genius. Especially since he was shot.

Can you please try to argue against the arguments being made in this thread, rather than ridiculous strawmen of people just sitting idly by? Outside of one post that was quoting GBS, not a single person has said anyone should "just suffer abuse" or had an issue with non-violent protest.

I think what's more ridiculous is quoting someone who firmly stood for non-violent protest and using them to justify violence.

If you think this is some simple, black and white issue, you haven't been paying attention in this thread. The line where violence is acceptable has been defined as anything from "Actually uses the word 'nazi' and literally advocates for genocide" to "voted Republican". Acceptable levels of violence have ranged from "a sucker punch with no lasting injury" to "i don't really care if we accidentally kill people".

If you think this is straightforward, and celebrating and encouraging violence in an unorganized fashion isn't dangerous, you're not really thinking about what people are saying. It's OK to think it's a good thing that Richard Spencer was punched without needing to recklessly and gleefully encourage everyone to punch everyone else they think might be a Nazi.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Out of curiousity, does anyone have any good examples of violent protest that was successful in achieving it's aims? There's all kinds of examples of successful non-violent protest (MLK, Ghandi, 1989 Berlin protests). I'll accept actual evidence (rather than speculation) that a violent element or associated movement was actually responsible for the overall movement being successful.

The only example of primarily violent protest that's springing to mind is the IRA, which wasn't exactly the world's most successful movement.

A couple of things I'm not asking for (since it isn't what we're talking about):

- Antifa actions that are in direct defence of violence against other groups (Antifa against Golden Dawn in Greece would fall into this)
- Actual coups or overthrow of governments

I'm being somewhat argumentative here, but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong - this isn't some attempt at a gotcha question, I honestly would like to know.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

enki42 posted:

The only example of primarily violent protest that's springing to mind is the IRA, which wasn't exactly the world's most successful movement.

Well there's no troops and a delegated parliament so everyone in the north is better off than they were.

Mandela doesn't spring to mind? Umkotho we Sizwe were trained to blow things up and pressured the SA government at home while SWAPO and the cubans fought the south african border war.

MLK had 2 million black men turn up at a time when Malcolm X was doing his thing. You have to be seriously ignorant to call the civil rights movement non-violent, especially as MLK got shot.

You haven't named a single example of anything other than your poor understanding of history.

• Locked thread