Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Once you get Clan Creator you can make enough money to be set for hours in about twenty minutes, so that safeisnt top game breaking.

I love Y6 for not having any damage sponge enemies. And the baseball team mini game, I played that for way, way longer than I expected to. So much fun.

Baseball was great. I got really good at that and was very proud of myself.

I started Kiwami 2 yesterday and I really like golf as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm doing the bouncer missions for Kiwami 2, and I beat the last 3 Amon missions on normal, but the hard and legend difficulties didn't unlock. Do I need to wait until a later chapter for those to show up? I'm only on chapter 10.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For everyone saying you need to do the other missions at higher difficulties too...I did. And I've done everything else mentioned here as well to win (use infinite weapons, best armor, etc) so I really don't know what's up.

Unless they won't open up unless you're playing on a higher difficulty or something. I'm playing on easy because fuuuuuck trying that on legend.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah just beat Kiwami 2 and that ending with the bomb fakeout and cutting to credits was bullshit

I may give it a month before I start 3.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How the heck

We're talking Kiwami 2 right, not the PS2 version? How many substories did you get to do?

If you just zoom through it you could do that. I finished cabaret club, construction, and all substories and had 49 hours.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Helith posted:

So I've just started playing Yakuza 0 on PC and I had no idea it was so goddamn goofy.
I was expecting all serious, heavy poo poo and then I have Kiryu wandering around Tokyo and he gets roped into pretending to be a TV producer in a ridiculous outfit and training a polite yanki punk group to be tough in front of their fans and then teaching a yakuza how to be a better father to his kid :allear:
Plus the insanely chipper music that plays over the subtitles with only 'nani' and grunts for the dialogue and Kiryu's serious face over it.

Karaoke can go and gently caress off though, I'm too old to keep up with that minigames speed.

Any tips for the game in general? I don't really know what I'm doing except having fun in 80's Tokyo.

Get all the girl cards and be pervy, meet the pervy guy

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

goblin week posted:

I think that got a bit played out in 2.

Also people only gain power with age in Yakuzaverse

It is people with chainsmoker faces and chainsmoker voices ripping off jackets to reveal sculpted marble

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Generally hostesses with very high stats in one stat are going to be much better than jack of all trade hostesses. And yeah the party/talk/love thing seems to be much more impactful than what they want the hostess to look like.

Yeah, the cabaret minigame can be broken by just grinding it out. If you casually play it 25 times or something while on your phone, stats stop mattering.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo

the lyrics just completely gently caress with me. they're very close to making sense but they don't.

It is exactly what you want from these games - Wacky Japanese tourism, with incredible earnestness.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Carlosologist posted:

Never forget Kiryu blew up a helicopter in 0 too

We know the answer to this

SpacePig posted:

Helicopters aren't alive, duh.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rideANDxORdie posted:

My thoughts so far:

- I can't imagine playing and sticking with Kiwami 1 if I hadn't played 0 first. How would you have any attachment to those characters without seeing the set-up in 0?
- It's a little weird that both Majima and Kiryu seem to never mention Tachibana or Makoto after 0 other than vague references.

For you, the story of Yakuza 0 was the day that changed your life. For Kiryu...it was tuesday.

I don't care if I'm mixing series here.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish there was a Yakuza game with no plot and no fights. I just wanna wonder around and eat Japanese food.

Funnily enough that is most of Shenmue 1. At least the better parts, because I've always hated the fighting in that series.

Yakuza being the games that I call "series that plays how people wanted Shenmue to play"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm going through 4 now and I'm still in Akiyama's section, just for that reason. Want to finish everything I could before I won't be able to.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wow this boss fight in Yakuza 4 is some loving bullshit

the second time you fight saito in prison. Too few health items and he can chain you so easily. Just bullshit where it felt like I needed to relearn how to fight bosses

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gort posted:

I think I beat him by getting the skill that gives you heat for blocking, blocking a lot of his attacks, and doing heat moves on him. Also make sure you have the skill that gives you heat for being in the red, and the skill that lets you re-block after your block is broken.

Blockity blockity block

I did beat it like 20 minutes after I posted and after hanging out with the Master I crush all.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just finished the Saejima chapter's an hour ago and I came to the realization that rushing to do the substories and level up was the best way to get through any of the more annoying battles. I ended Akiyama and Saejima at level 19 by the time I was done with them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Did they run out of money when making Yakuza 4? All of a sudden they're cutscenes with VO with the in-game engine, which didn't happen before.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Erebus posted:

This helped, thanks. It still took a bunch of tries, but I did eventually get the wood I needed... only to find out I can't get back down to the sewer anyway. If you go to the manholes, Saejima just says he doesn't need to right now. Welp.

Progress the story more and it will open back up.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GhostDog posted:

I took a breather and the game's suggestion to change to easy and made it through. Saito was still annoying as gently caress even on easy. Doing his belly flop attack and literally flying a 90 degree turn to track me, good god what a piece of poo poo.

Enjoy missing a trophy, sucker! You'll remember this on your death bed.

that was by far the worst section of any Yakuza game I've ever played, but a leveled-up Saejima is the best fighter in the game at the end

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Thank You Card posted:

maybe it's becsuse tanumura knows that the dock section is balls and rear end from what i remember

Yakuza games and boats...usual ends up a bad combo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would just run back and forth dropkicking and the game didn't know what to do and would never block. Took a little timing but worked for every fight.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why couldn't he aim upward

yakuza always chooses the coolest looking option

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rt4 posted:

I want to go to Dotonbori, pound some highballs, eat some takoyaki, and vomit after getting punched in the gut by a man in a loud suit

Dontonbori is very fun to walk around in, and actually some parts are very beautiful. I guess the most memorable parts were the love hotels that were made to look like fancy purple castles.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why do people keep having that take when it’s made 100% clear why Majima is Majima and is told in several parts over the course of the game

Having played 0 first and knowing nothing about the story or another other games, I was very surprised when Majima was not acting in his usual way in Kiwami 1.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Saoshyant posted:

Y6, how do I get green exp in a relevant way? All other colors seem to come up easily, but green very rarely. And green is needed to unlock a truckload of stuff.

Also, I unlocked all clan battle level up boosting skills before I started doing it. Yet, now I have finished that story line and my highest leveled up dude is Lv52. There's a trophy to get it at max, which I imagine is Lv99. This does not bode well.

Buy a bunch of the fullness-reducer from the gym and eat sushi gin. That's how I had to spend like 20 minutes running back and forth until I finally had enough exp to finish it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5asRZSLtTMU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've been avoiding this thread because I haven't played Y7 yet (and probably won't for another 6 months) but I just wanted to post this.

The NYTimes has been doing "how to feel like you're in X" articles this past month for homebodies. They did Tokyo yesterday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/01/travel/tokyo-vacation-at-home.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Travel

They have that photo at the top of the article and mention Yakuza right at the bottom.

quote:

While Japan’s most internationally famous video gaming figure may be an Italian plumber with a taste for mushrooms, there are also plenty of games more grounded in real-life Tokyo than Super Mario Bros. Brian Ashcraft, an Osaka-based senior writer at the gaming website Kotaku, recommends the expansive “Yakuza” series, which follows Kazuma Kiryu as he makes his name in the underworld. The Yakuza games are action-packed, but with dance battles, karaoke sessions and laugh-out-loud dialogue, they are also unabashedly silly. “This year has resulted in all events and trips to Tokyo being canned,” Mr. Ashcraft said. “The Yakuza games do a fantastic job of bringing parts of the city to life. These obsessive, digital recreations mimic the idea of Tokyo. For me, that’s good enough.”

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Always feels good to do around 2 hours of Saejima's substories and treasure map hunting in Y5 to get a game crash error and have to redo it all...I'm so drat glad they put in autosaves.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My Lovely Horse posted:

I basically take every aspect of Japan Yakuza presents me at face value.

yes including Osaka Castle

and the secret 2nd battleship yamato

edited for spoilers

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Weedle posted:

i’ve stalled out on the last chapter of y4. i don’t want to start the finale without the bulletproof armor but i also don’t want to do all the combat training to get it. how long does the training take if i’ve pretty much ignored it until now?

Just run back and forth drop kicking her, all of them together will take...20 minutes?

Edit: wait do you mean training for everyone?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've reached the final chapter of Y5, and I'm doing some cleanup before I go to the final battle. I really liked all of the mini games and sidestories... except cochin racing. Just reminds me of Shenmue 3 turtle racing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Phew, Yakuza 5 done, 65 hours and 44% complete. I've now beaten everything from 0-6.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Now you get to experience Ichiban

I think I'm going to have to take a break before I hit Y7, I have a huge backlog to get through (Spiderman, Bloodborne, and FFXV being the biggest.) Besides 6 I got every game on the cheap so I'll wait a year or two.

My own rankings:

K2
K1

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Amppelix posted:

ok how hard is hard in 5? recommended for a first playthrough?

I didn't find it any harder or easier than the others. I beat it on normal and the only hard fights I had were in the Coliseum.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Senator Drinksalot posted:

They aren't that bad, it's just a slot machine that you have to shoot balls into a slot before you can spin the slot wheels.

Pachinko is one of the mind numbingly boring things I've ever played in a videogame and in real life.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A good poster posted:

Are all the first knuckles of his left hand cut off?

Uh, he's a Yakuza duh

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There is a new Taiwanese show on Netflix called Light the Night that's set in a 1980s Taipei cabaret club. I watched the first three episodes with my wife and kept getting real Y0 vibes from parts of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

holy crap im sick of the haruka song in y5

once i hear those goddamn horns i audibly groan

I still like the song. Maybe my 2nd favorite after the Cabaret Club song.