Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I recently had occasion to rewatch the classic Marx Brothers film Horse Feathers. It was quite possibly the least funny thing I've ever seen and I find it difficult to imagine a time when it was ever funny to anyone who was not a literal child. I laughed more at Ghostbusters (2016) and that movie was the least funny comedy of the decade.

I've heard the excuse that many early comedies were film adaptations of Vaudeville routines, but I posit that the gags and jokes presented in the film would not be significantly improved by being performed on stage. Vaudeville must have sucked hardcore if the jokes in Horse Feathers were considered exemplary enough to be immortalized on film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
but communists are p funny

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i think its pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ9myHhpS9s

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I read the Communist Manifesto, but couldn't read Capital. Marx and Engels weren't even really brothers, OP. They were pretty close though apparently.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
Horse Feathers is okay but I've always been more partial to Duck Soup and it's weird pre WWII analogies.

YerAuraBoresMeAlice
Dec 26, 2005

<--- I beg to differ.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Duck Soup was a lot better. Any scenes with Harpo were always pure gold, you have to admit at least that much.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Horse Feathers wtf

that's like saying Chevy Chase isn't funny because Cops And Robbersons was bad

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Duck Soup was kinda like Rifftrax, but the sarcastic commentary was coming from inside the film.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bill NYSE posted:

Duck Soup was a lot better. Any scenes with Harpo were always pure gold, you have to admit at least that much.

Maybe in Duck soup. Not a single one of his prop gags was funny in Horse Feathers.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Horse Feathers wtf

that's like saying Chevy Chase isn't funny because Cops And Robbersons was bad

I'll give them another chance. What's one of their really good ones?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
There ain't no sanity clause!

I still like them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dr. Phildo posted:

There ain't no sanity clause!

I still like them

What do you take for a haddock?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMtqqHRvB8

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Just watched "A night at the Opera" OP. it wasnt bad.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Well op, you probably wouldn't understand the humor since you've been dumbed down by years of television watching which has turned your brain into mush. Any sophisticated mind can appreciate the nuance in Marx Brothers films. :smug:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Marx Bros are funny as poo poo. If you haven't read Grouch or Harpo's autobiographies then you should cause those are both super funny and incredibly interesting

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Marx Bros are funny as poo poo. If you haven't read Grouch or Harpo's autobiographies then you should cause those are both super funny and incredibly interesting

Maybe I just watched one of their bad movies then but drat I was just fuming with how angry I was at how lovely the jokes were.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Maybe I just watched one of their bad movies then but drat I was just fuming with how angry I was at how lovely the jokes were.

I watched Horse Feathers a few months ago and I remember thinking it was funny but I was also pretty drunk and don't remember anything specific about it so maybe try that?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Shadowday". Hah! That's-a some joke, eh boss?

Duck Soup was good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Horse Feathers is my second favorite after Duck Soup. Animal Crackers is great, too.

A Night at the Opera is funny if you fastforward through the endless song bits, but it's all downhill after that.

Duck Soup is one of the best comedies ever made, though. Only a little over an hour, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsUoxlSADk

(As my user name suggests, I find W.C. Fields comedies to be more consistently funny)

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Perhaps apply a fair grain of context that the jokes were the first of their kind.
e: also, seconding that Groucho's autobiography was a stellar read.

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

Bill NYSE posted:

Any scenes with Harpo were always pure gold, you have to admit at least that much.

His memoir Harpo Speaks is one of the best I've ever read. It's made three generations of my family laugh so hard they cried.

Pinchie-winchie!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why does Groucho walk in and start abusing that professor for no reason and then start singing to the class about anatomy??

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Groucho's chapters about the start of their vaudeville careers are equal parts hilarious and jaw droppingly shocking.

Harpo's chapters about adopting his many kids were some of the most heartwarming reading I've ever experienced.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Egbert Souse posted:

Duck Soup is one of the best comedies ever made, though. Only a little over an hour, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsUoxlSADk

Oh hey, Trump's inauguration speech

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Okay I'll read their memoirs but you're not gonna convince me Horse Feathers was funny.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Why does Groucho walk in and start abusing that professor for no reason and then start singing to the class about anatomy??

There is a disturbing lack of character development, to be sure.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwjdGSqO0k

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMBk-O7D-R0

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImN6UxFL8xQ

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I used to really like the three stooges and that british mtv show with all those punk rock people.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The stateroom scene in A Night at the Opera remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu0KyrNAAA

All their movies drag during the songs and when they're focusing on the young couples and not the Brothers themselves, but that's a classic.

I also have a soft spot for Go West.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Young Guns, it just came to me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, Horse Feathers wasn't based on a stage show

The Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers were adaptations of Broadway plays starring the Marx Brothers, but the rest of their films were originals except for Room Service.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

The little rascals probably aged better. I haven't watched it since I was 12 but that was funny poo poo back then

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Applewhite posted:

I recently had occasion to rewatch the classic Marx Brothers film Horse Feathers.

Horse Feathers is also what Applewhite calls the technique he uses to give a horse a boner so he can suck it off

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like Buster Keaton.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I'll give them another chance. What's one of their really good ones?

Duck Soup is the one you're supposed to watch. It's, I don't know. Decent to good.

Marx brothers often suffer under that Bo Burnham thing where they mistake being clever and making a face while doing it for being funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

peanut posted:

I like Buster Keaton.

• Locked thread