Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

It is 1618.
The Holy Roman Emperor Matthias has maneuvered Ferdinand of Styria into power by having him elected to the thrones of Bohemia and Hungary. He hopes to facilitate a peaceful transition of power upon his death.

He Will Fail.

Staunchly Catholic, Ferdinand has begun to curtail the rights of Protestants in his lands, hoping to extinguish the new religions and dogmas and bring everyone back to Catholicism. The Protestant noblemen, in a fit of rage, are about to cease the two catholic Councillors sent to rule over them and throw them from the 20 meter high window.
The (Second) Defenestration of Prague will spark the Bohemian Revolt, which will quickly turn into what the world now knows as the Thirty Years War. it is estimated that eight million people - up to 20% of the German population - will die in the coming war. Mercenaries will run rampant across Europe spreading death and destruction (and a good dose of the plague) behind them.

Let’s play and see what we can do about this.

What is AGEOD’s the Thirty Years War?

AGEOD have made a large number of strategy games over the years, using a turn based structure that comprises of (in this case) 30 day long mini-turns in a single game turn - the player takes control of either the Imperial or Bohemian revolt, and tries to win the war.

AGEOD game are odd, even from my groggy perspective - they have a lot of hidden rules and systems that you need to figure out to play them properly - I’m hoping that after playing several of their games, I have a good enough idea of what I am doing to allow me to fight this battle properly.

The reason I have chosen this is partly because I just finished reading a book on the subject, and partly because the game itself, due to the nature of the war, has a nice feel of escalation to it - it starts with a small revolt and ends up a massive beast spanning most of Europe.
It is also nicely different to many of their other games in that there is a constant strangulation of resources - one of the main reasons that the war went on for so long is the fact that no one could raise the troops necessary to bring about a total victory - as soon as an army was raised, desertion and disease began to eat away at it, leaving forces skeletons of their former selves in just a few weeks of campaigning.

I’ll go more into the systems in my first major post, but for now, we have one key choice to make - which side shall we play as?

The Holy Roman Empire.

We are for the Emperor, the most holy person in Catholicism. We are all that stands between the righteous and the ever expanding heresies of the reformation. We will be able to count on the support of other good Catholic countries - Spain chief amongst them.

The Protestants.

While the revolt in Bohemia is small, surely all the Protestant powers of the Europe shall send support - the English, the Danes, the Dutch and the Swedes will support our holy crusade against the pope!

Choose wisely, the fate of Europe and religion is in your hands.

We are in this for the long haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Ooooooooh. Didn't know AGEOD had gone on to this period. You're not wrong; Unity of Command was accessible enough but good God their US Civil War games look finickity beyond belief.

And as for the vote; we can only stand For The Protestants and Reformation!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think the Emperor is a cool & good fellow, and nothing bad will happen if you take command of his forces.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 23, 2017

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Paging Hey Geil to this thread...

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Protestants As long as we have windows we have somewhere to put the catholics.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

:words: Defenestration :words:

Finally a game to sport my favourit word in all possible languages.

And totally Protestant .

Enter the Lion Croctopus from the North!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Emperor is clearly a reasonable man who will end this nonsense with a swift victory and a merciful peace.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
As a Catholic, I have direct orders from Rome a vested interest in supporting the Holy Roman Emperor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

the Emperor, the most holy person in Catholicism

LOL yeah, who is that pope guy anyway?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Leperflesh posted:

LOL yeah, who is that pope guy anyway?

which one?

Okay, second most holy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I can't stop doubling down for The Emperor.

Also it's worth noting that relatively high in the strategic priority for Spain is that the ceasefire they have with the Dutch is due to end soon, and they need to secure a route up north from Italy. This probably means taking on the Palatinate, and everyone's expecting that to turn into a huge war.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 23, 2017

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
The Protestants

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
The chance to beat up the French, English and Prussians all in one go? I think it's clear that we need to play as the Emperor in this one

Sanzh
Mar 6, 2013
The Protestants.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Protestant!

Can't wait to some some pikeneering in action.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I say we defenestrate anyone who gets in our way. Plus I am always about sticking it to those stupid Habsburgs. Protestant

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
The Holy Roman Empire shall stand triumphant over these traitors and rebels. Death to them all.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HRE

Let's Wallenstein, yo

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Habsburgs have been seriously overreaching themselves, running roughshod over the liberties of the princes of Germany. If not for theological reasons, then we must go Protestant to protect the common nobleman from the malign influence of the Austrians!

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 23, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Make me Wallenstein or give me death! Emperor

(or, you know, both)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I always love watching someone bash their head against the wall that is AGEOD's engine.

As for side preference, Protestants!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

It is time for all good Christians in the Empire to free themselves of the tyranny of the Pope and the Habsburgs. Join the Protestants!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dream team, assemble!

Pappenheim!

Tilly!

and Wallenstein!

For the Emperor!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

For the Emprah, Catholicism, and Blinged The gently caress Out Churches

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Protestants are on the right side of history. Also, somebody go get HEY GAL (GEIL now?).

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
We must succeed where Wallenstein failed. For Christ's Church, we must stand behind the Most Noble House of Hapsburg!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

We shall bring victory to the Protestant cause.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I am a plain russet coated captain, and thus we must be one of the chosen, the godly, The Protestants

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

We are in this for the long haul.

Lol

I'll be amazed if the game hasn't been won in 100 turns.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tiger Crazy posted:

I say we defenestrate anyone who gets in our way. Plus I am always about sticking it to those stupid Habsburgs. Protestant

But first we must cease them. :smugdog:

I vote Protestant

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Let us establish an Empire that would make Carolus Magnus proud.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
I vote Protestants, because all I know about the 30 years war I know from the 1632 series of books, and the protestants are clearly the good guys there.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

tunapirate posted:

The chance to beat up the French, English and Prussians all in one go? I think it's clear that we need to play as the Emperor in this one

This guy knows what's up! Emperor all the way.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You sorry lot may try and protest, but the Empire will prevail! :arghfist::catholic:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Protestantism is a disease. The Emperor shall drive the heretics either back into the arms of the church, or to Hell where they belong.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

tunapirate posted:

point of order, I don't think the English did much in the real Thirty Years War because they were too busy squabbling over their own island

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Protestants

Just because I wonder if you can stop the White Mountain fiasco, and make a better assault on Wien.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Let's kill the heretics, purge the xenos and cleanse the mutants in the name of the Emperor

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
protestants because we get Gustavus adolphus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Prots.

• Locked thread