Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

:siren: Holy poo poo you can buy RE7 on Steam, right now even! :siren:

What is RE7?

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is the latest numbered entry in the infamous Resident Evil survival horror series. Taking a drastic shift from previous entries, this is the first mainline game to be fully first person. You play as Ethan, a man in search of his wife in the sticks of Louisiana. When you arrive at your destination, you find a empty, derelict house...that turns out to be not so empty.

This game is unique in that it is designed to be played in VR. Yeah, you can bounce around a spooky hillbilly house in VR. It's nuts.

I heard this game was an Outlast/P.T. clone! Why is it getting such rave reviews?

First of all, there is a demo you can try before you buy on the PSN and Steam stores respectively. Beyond that, this game is not completely a run and hide simulator. Ethan will be arming himself with all manners of weapons, from pistols to grenade launchers, as well as crazy healing powers and makeshift melee weapons. While you will be hiding from time to time (You ain't a boulder-puncher in this game), there will be set boss battles, just like any other RE game. It's getting rave reviews because it fuckin' owns.

My favorite RE game...

We have an RE megathread for that, located here. Do yourself a solid and post there about the other games. Since this game is new, this will be the tips and tricks and holy poo poo I got murdered in a cool way posting station.

Weapons

Melee Weapons

- Pocket Knife: Found at the start of the game after evading Jack the first time. Literally worthless except to open boxes, but can be used if necessary.
- Survival Knife: Found in the Wrecked Ship; much stronger than the Pocket Knife but stilllllll sucks.
- Circular Saw: Found after beating the game in 4 hours or less; strongest weapon in the game and makes chump change out of Madhouse Mode.
- Chainsaw: Story weapon, found inside a scripted boss battle.

Handguns

- G17 Handgun: Standard police issued glock obtained in the Garage. Holds 10 rounds, standard damage.
- M19 Handgun: Found at the Trailer (But also used in Mia boss encounter); broken. Requires a repair kit to use. Holds 7 rounds, increased damage.
- MPM Handgun: Found in the Wrecked Ship. Holds 9 rounds, similar damage to the G17.
- Albert 01: Found when completing the game first time around. Holds 3 rounds, strongest handgun damage (using Handgun ammo...)
- M44 Magnum: Found at the Trailer, requires 9 Antique Coins; strongest handgun damage (using M44 ammo...)

Shotguns / Machineguns

- M37 Shotgun: Found in the foyer of the house; requires Broken Shotgun to replace for the puzzle. Holds 4 shells, wide spread, increased damage.
- M21 Shotgun: Found in the house upstairs after the Scorpion Key door; requires Repair Kit to use. Holds 2 shells, narrow spread, increased damage. You can use a Toy Shotgun later in the game to replace the Broken Shotgun.
- P19 Machinegun: Found in the Wrecked Ship; requires Captain's Key to unlock. Holds 64 rounds, high recoil, standard damage.

Other Weapons

- Burner: Found in Margurite's Old House; requires two pieces to be combined. Holds 150 units, spews fire in a cone, standard damage (increased damage to bugs and their hosts).
- Grenade Launcher: Found in the Main House, requires Crow Key and backtracking. Can fire off Flame Rounds and (I assume) Frag Rounds (Never crafted them myself)
- Remote Bombs: Found literally all over the Wrecked Ship and Mines. Placed on the ground and detonated remotely; instant kill on most enemies on Easy/Normal. Can be attached (for the achievement) by being tackled to the ground.

Tips and Tricks

- Scrounge. Ammo, healing items, hidden treasures, and bobbleheads are everywhere (drawers, behind paintings leaning against walls, open and closed boxes, in lockpick cabinets, etc.)
- Of the craft-able items, you will need Chem Bags the most; it is worth making inventory space for these. That said, don't delete items; run back to an item box and store unneeded stuff.
- Just like in other Resident Evil games, sometimes running away is a valid strategy; if you're stuck on a part of the game, you might find it easier to run past enemies instead of killing them.
- The Bakers will spawn infrequently throughout your game at set locations; if you are being chased, you can reset them by entering a save room.
- Madhouse mode is like a NG+; item locations change, enemies are harder, and regen is limited. It's better to play this second to a Normal playthrough.
- The Magnum Is Good, but unless you are on Madhouse mode, it isn't truly necessary.
- Moulded come in three flavors; zombie, crawler, and enhanced. The enhanced moulded are much tougher to kill, and it may be easier to simply avoid them.
- Repair Kits can be found in two locations: In the yard (hidden under the porch to the left of the stairs as you're exiting the house.) and in Lucas' section (Mannequin with a baseball cap; interact to find it).

Useful Links

PSN Store Listing
Steam Store Listing
Teaser Trailer (VR)

Welcome to the family, son.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'll be adding things as I go but come one come all

e: please let me know if i should add something

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Important tip for those of you who are coming in cold: the "Beginning Hour" demo is set in the game's first level and shares many of its initial features, but isn't actually a part of the game's story. It's got its own puzzles.

If you're on the fence, you may want to grab "Beginning Hour," plus you can get an item in it which carries over to the main game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just a heads up GameStop is doing +50% trade in and releasing it in an hour for anyone who didn't go the digital route and wants to play tonight .

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait to game tomorrow guys. Really glad it's looking to be a good title

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The opening of this game is pretty good although man does it highlight the weird disconnect between player-action and character-action. Oh, hello, my crazy wife. Coming at me with a knife are you? Time to AXE you a question. Is that a chainsaw? Did you cut off my hand? Well, this hand is going right in my inventory. Time to casually triple-tap you in the head with this handgun!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

does steam's "unlocks in approximately one hour" mean its aggressively rounding down and it unlocks at midnight EST, or closer to 11

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Watched the trailer and gameplay. Doesn't look very exciting, and probs should not be called Resident Evil, all that's gonna do is piss off the people expecting.. well, a Resident Evil game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

504 posted:

Watched the trailer and gameplay. Doesn't look very exciting, and probs should not be called Resident Evil, all that's gonna do is piss off the people expecting.. well, a Resident Evil game.

Going to (I assume) speak for everyone and say no one cares. RE4 completely changed the format of the game and that was great. There is no reason why RE7 couldn't do the same.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

504 posted:

The problem with that line of inquiry is that "a Resident Evil game" covers a lot of ground. The franchise includes clunky old survival-horror games; light-gun shooters; full-on third-person action experiences; co-op games; modern horror/action; and whatever you'd call Gaiden. (Not "crap," that's too easy. Show your work.) This has always been a series that has been almost too willing to change up its formula, and what you think of as Resident Evil is almost certainly unique to you.

That said, when you actually play the game (and nobody should be trying to issue an opinion on a game, especially a horror game, that's based on watching someone else play it), it's a pretty decent update to the original formula, except for its first-person perspective. It's even got the old item boxes, discordant puzzles, and rewards for speed-running.

ImpAtom posted:

The opening of this game is pretty good although man does it highlight the weird disconnect between player-action and character-action. Oh, hello, my crazy wife. Coming at me with a knife are you? Time to AXE you a question. Is that a chainsaw? Did you cut off my hand? Well, this hand is going right in my inventory. Time to casually triple-tap you in the head with this handgun!

Ethan's having a very weird day. Also, the dude is a rock. I'd have done a lot more screaming than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As far as I am this game absolutely deserves to be called a Resident Evil game. It feels exactly like one, in terms of both strengths and flaws. It's more in the vein of the old-school horror ones than the new action ones but...

Well, in terms of praise and criticism, I am playing it with a very similar "this is kind of an arcade game" feel as I did RE1/2/3. The puzzles, the design, it all feels very RE.

Edit: That includes it being kinda cheesy in a way that some people will find terrifying and others may laugh their asses off at. I don't count that as a flaw myself.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 24, 2017

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Does Amazon usually wait until release to send Steam keys? I'd like to preload it...

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

504 posted:

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Had a :10bux: certificate at BB expiring on Saturday and not much else really interested me, decided to get the PS4 version. Hopefully I don't regret it versus just doing the PC version from GMG but at least it'll have good trade-in value since it's a physical copy.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anyone know when this unlocks on steam?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I came to ask the same thing, I think that because Valve's on the West Coast they do their releases midnight PST?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm really excited for this. RE4 is one of my favorite games, but it was clear after 6 something had to change. I'm not really expecting too much combat but if they're going for a more tense and ammo conserving game like the early ones, I'm ok with that. I'm even ok with it being very different from any other RE so long as it's good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's unlocking in like 20 minutes. 9 PM west coast time.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

jack baker owns

thats all

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Found out about the dirty coin and got it 20 minutes before release :smuggo:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Found out about the dirty coin and got it 20 minutes before release :smuggo:
You're the best ever!

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Lot of talk about Jack Baker being one of the legit best villains in a long time. I might have to pick this up just to see some of that stuff. The bits they showed off were already fantastic (he got out of a loving flaming car and just kind of shrugged it off jesus christ).

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm pretty loving hype for some Resident Evil you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI-W5iDdtfs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Game is live go go go go

I guess streaming the unlock isn't a great idea considering how slow it is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Two kinda neat shout-outs so far:

- Clive O'Brian finished his detective novel, I guess. It's in a box by the grandfather clock.
- there's an article dated July of 2016 by Alyssa Ashcroft. Outbreak is canon now and she survived it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Game is live go go go go

I guess streaming the unlock isn't a great idea considering how slow it is.

What the gently caress is going on? It's "unlocking" and the time just keeps going up, I'm at an hour to unlock the game...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Wow, the Sewer Gators tape again huh. un-loving-believable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I felt like this in the Demo and also in the final version, but does anyone else feel like the characters are really weirdly proportioned in VR? Like, they seem about the right height I guess but at the same time they feel tiny. It's very weird and hard to describe.

Anyways. Played the first hour and I'm pretty hyped. there was a lot of crossover from the demo but it still hooked me good and made me scream once haha. Mia is one creepy bitch. I guess now I know who that was in the Kitchen demo.

Caidin posted:

Wow, the Sewer Gators tape again huh. un-loving-believable.

This too. I put it in the VCR like "please don't make me play this for the 6th time" and then it did.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You can just skip the tapes from the pause menu. There's nothing "gated" by them. I could still use the switch in the fireplace without having played the tape.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I too have also played the first hour (the first real save room I imagine) and yeah this game loving owns. I'm sure playing it regularly would feel like a decent horror game but in VR it's easily one of my favorite gaming experiences I've had in years.

Also cool that after playing the game in VR mode for 1 hour I don't feel the slight bit nauseous.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man this would be so cool to play on my Vive. I hope they bring VR support to the PC version down the line.

Bubba Smith posted:

Also cool that after playing the game in VR mode for 1 hour I don't feel the slight bit nauseous.

VR sickness I feel is largely overblown. There are some people who can't handle it but most are fine with just about anything so long as the frame rate holds up. I can zip around in Serious Sam: TFE no problem.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 24, 2017

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This game loving rules

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This is a drat good game so far. I'm glad I am playing it on PC so I can snap off headshots easier, otherwise I would be knifing every enemy I came across. Looking forward to playing it more tomorrow

For people starting the game tomorrow, a spoiler free tip is that there are a lot of scripted enemy encounters. Let the baddies have their say and take a good look around before you blow through all your ammo if it is having zero effect.

Also, I have been finding antique coins everywhere. I fully expect to enter a room soon and hear "WHATCHA BUYIN'?"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 24, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EDIT: Ignore this.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 24, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm about an hour and a half into it and I'm at the part where you go into the basement and there's a bunch of those regenerator looking dudes and you have to get the Dissection room key. How am I supposed to get passed this? I can skip the one that comes out of the incinerator since he just tanks my pistol like nothing but there's 2 in the next room, then 3 at the same time in the one after it. I run out of bullets before they all die and the pocketknife is worthless. This poo poo is really pissing me off, I've died several times just trying to manage all of it and other than that I love this game but all this action, right off the bat, is really killing it for me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Uh, ignoring that.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Of what I'm playing this game is an 8/10 spook

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Game's decrypted and ready to go. Can't wait to give this a go when I get back from work. All the reports so far are promising.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Another thing

A Resident Evil: Outbreak reference!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fereydun posted:

jack baker owns

thats all

I loving love him. I thought I snuck by him in that first chase sequence but when I went down the hallway his shovel pokes through the wall from the adjacent room and he just walks through it like it ain't poo poo. The "monster busts through wall to get you" trope is a favorite of mine and that was a loving masterpiece.

• Locked thread