Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mak0rz posted:

These are bald faced hornets, Dolichovespula maculata.

NOTE: not really hornets (they are technically yellow jackets), nor bald faced for that matter.

Bald faced assholes for scaring away the hummingbirds :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Two bees for the price of one!

Hellsau posted:

That's actually just one really long bee, digging into the left flower and coming out the right one.

Two bees, or not two bees? That is the question

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

I want a jumping spider the size of a cat so I can stare into its camera-lens eyes and wonder whats going on in there before it pounces on me and injects like half a gallon of venom that turns my innards to soup.

I know it can't just be me, but jumpers feel the least spider-like of all the spiders I see. They move like little robots, their body/head shape & general demeanor are more like a curious tiny 8 legged puppy

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

two significant-sized Weevils were on my back door and were all too accomodating when I wanted to take photos. I loving LOVE WEEVILS! They are some of my favorite beetles, they're so drat goofy. Check out the schnoz on the second one!

and weevil 2, this guy was legit big, not sure what the biggest weevil in the world is(probably some massive tropical/madagascar species) but this guy was pretty sizeable compared to every other weevil I've ever seen

Weevils wobble but they don't fall down :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Didn't see the other spider it was munchin' on until I expanded the thumbnail

"Look, I'm Zoidberg! WOOP WOOPWOOPWOOP :zoid:"

The Zombie Guy posted:

It's so wonderful how the trees and bushes are filled with critters all screaming out the equivalent of "Hey! Please come gently caress me!"

Bugs: i rubbed my legs together pls respond

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Wish I could've got a pic before he skittered off but there was the teeniest, tiniest little jumping spider on my bedroom window blinds earlier. Like, body small enough to fit through the holes in the window screen if he wanted to. He was a quick little sucker too, I ended up opening my window so he could escape safely & go hunting for some other bugs...he kinda sat on my window for a minute like "what dis clear ting i cannot go past" it was adorable :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Yup, crane fly. Looks like the giantest mosquito to ever live and suck, but is actually entirely harmless. Complete vegetarians.

Also, an awful flier. Seriously, those things are bad at even staying in the air. If one of them ever manages to land on you, then you can be certain it didn't actually mean to.

Me & my family used to see them all the time when we lived in England, they were indeed the dumbest & most worthless fliers ever

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Asiina posted:

That looks like a clothes moth.

You can tell by the corduroy patterns on the wings...if you get close enough you can smell a hint of patchouli

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

the only time I have been explicitly bitten by a spider was when I found a dime-sized jumping spider in the walking path at a graveyard and decided to try and save it from getting trampled. I had nothing to coax it onto, so I had to get it to go on my hand, which it was NOT INTERESTED IN DOING, and I poked it in the butt to get it to jump...instead it whirled around and chomped my finger because it felt cornered. hurt a bit, less than a bee sting or whatever of course, but I eventually got it off the path to live another day. you really gotta remember they have brains the size of a literal pinhead in a lot of cases, so patience is important in dealing with and handling them.

Sort of related, jumping spiders are actually what helped me get over my phobia of spiders in general. I think it's the way they look, like a puppy in spider form where you don't immediately see it as threatening. They're such neat little buggers & adorable to boot :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Aaahhhh he's so tiny :3: it looks like when toddlers reach that "head too big for their bodies" stage lol

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Visited my folks yesterday & they were telling me about their newest "residents" - some baby mantis hatchlings! :3: They both noticed when they were out on the porch & saw them all over their bench, said it was a big swarm & they likely set up shop in the bushes in the front yard.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There's a single crow out of the ones in the neighborhood who has caught on about the peanuts and will ask for them, but I haven't given it a name and my relationship with it is different - it's way more standoffish than the jays.

Wonder if this has to do with how intelligent crows are, especially remembering people who are nice or mean to them. Could be he had a bad experience with other people & is a little skittish, but they're super smart & can catch on when someone doesn't mean harm.

Also gives me an excuse to post my favorite article about crows :3:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026#:~:text=One%20young%20girl%20in%20Seattle,and%20clicks%20the%20lid%20open.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Caught an itty bitty jumper on my screen door yesterday :3: he was maybe the size of a grain of rice

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I miss seeing bunnies around my apartments now :( they've been doing renovations on the leasing office & I think all the noise has temporarily spooked the rabbits. I live on the 1st floor so I used to see them a lot on the little patch of grass by my patio, usually laying in the shade or sun with their face in the grass munching away.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

This cute little guy keeps hanging out under our porch light.

He found the prime spot for bug catching, bet he'll be happy for a while :3:

Wish I had a pic from one of my old jobs a few years ago, they had an outside courtyard area & one day a couple of us saw a hawk swoop in on a robin. Fought a little & the hawk came out the winner (obviously), when we checked the area they fought in we found a very neat/cleanly removed tail. Looked like someone literally took a box cutter & cut the robin's rear end clean off, it was crazy.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 4, 2020

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Millipede of some sort? They're neat little critters

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

The soil apparently comes with:

American giant millipedes

Aww yiss more multi-legged goodness, millipedes are awesome & I miss seeing them around

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Walrus posted:

looked down while getting some water before bed in algonquin park and freaked out when I saw this guy. what luck! he was right there! what a friggin cutie.

Hope he got better :ohdear:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

So does that mean bugs are land crustaceans? Or that crustaceans are sea bugs?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks! I've wondered most of my life why so many of our local swallowtails didn't actually have swallow tails.
Edit:

My dad recently bolted down his birdfeeder because it kept getting knocked down overnight. This guy was upside down doing some mission impossible moves when I first spotted him so I think we know why now.

So your dad just basically made the little bandit's job easier :lol:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Boric acid maybe? I know lots of people use that for roaches & ants

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I found a little guy like that with his wing stuck in a gap outside my window once. I managed to pry him out and tried to give him water, but sadly he didn't make it.

They are exactly as soft to the touch as they look. No idea how anyone can hate the little guys.

I used to see little fruit bats all over when my family lived in the UK & they were cute as heck :3: always hanging out in the crabapple trees outside our house, plus our porch lights brought in lots of tasty bugs for them. I think most of the hate/fear people have comes from knowing bats carry rabies, so nobody really wants to mess with them if they don't have to.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

poverty goat posted:

https://i.imgur.com/BJU0z2n.mp4
my fat squirrel friend has taken to just laying in the food while he eats it

My old apartment had a couple squirrels like this who'd hang out on my balcony, I used to leave an upside-down tin cookie lid with some water on really hot days & they'd sprawl out with their noses on the edge lol

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, if they aren't walking in circles, looking confused, or really raggedy it's less likely they're rabid or something. Still possible, but when they are sick it is usually fairly easy to spot, I think.

Pretty much, you can actually look up rabid animal behavior online & it'll show you how most of them act if they're carriers. Lots of disorienting movement, unusual aggression, drooling/frothing mouth, stuff like that are all signs to get away or call animal control.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

McGavin posted:

You still need the yellow heron, black heron, red heron, and pink heron to form the heron megazord.

No no, the blue, pink, red, black & yellow made the standard Heronzord...green combined to make the Super Dragon Heronzord

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Mantidflies look so weird, I'm thoroughly convinced someone cooked them up in a lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

dragonflies have the absolute coolest common names

Hell even the name dragonfly is pretty awesome