Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Which brings us back to Arcanum.

Sadly, if I recall, if you actually DO murder Bates, the ending is that nobody could manage to copy his genius (even though he tells you straight up he didn't invent jack poo poo) and technology starts to break down and Tarant more or less falls entirely. Likewise the only happy ending for orcs comes from telling Donn Throgg to work inside the system and accept slow incremental change and moderation.

I'm sorry. Arcanum is a Centrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Furism posted:

The very best thing was that even at max level you still needed a Will-O-Wisp in your bank because in case of a complete raid wipe and everybody had to walk back, well you might be a Dragon Slayer but you still couldn't see poo poo in the dark. So you needed backup flashlights in the bank to walk your way back.

Not many MMOs will have you loot an item at level 5 that you'll keep using 5 years later.

There was also farming for a fishbone earring for a million hours so you could breath underwater. Or the FBSS which I saw drop 9 times and lost every time. Still salty.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm sorry. Arcanum is a Centrist.

Valid criticism, but that still puts Arcanum above the majority of Steampunk, which boils away the politics until all that's left is a kitschy aesthetic.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

will poe 2 do away with combat restrictions on magic?

yes prebuffing is boring but kiting enemies backwards and allow your priests to fully buff everyone before the enemies get there isn't fun either

also it makes no sense

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

User0015 posted:

There was also farming for a fishbone earring for a million hours so you could breath underwater. Or the FBSS which I saw drop 9 times and lost every time. Still salty.

Yeah the FBSS I farmed it for 27 hours. Straight. It dropped twice and I was third in the queue. EverQuest has both my best and worst video game memories ever.

Fishbone Earring I just bought.

Also remember the Ancient Cyclops?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yes prebuffing is boring but kiting enemies backwards and allow your priests to fully buff everyone before the enemies get there isn't fun either

also it makes no sense

Do not speak ill of kiting, you will provoke a response

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Skippy McPants posted:

Steampunk... boils away [everything] until all that's left is a kitschy aesthetic.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd like to request a special Steampunk dispensation for the Thief games.

Because they rule.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

also it makes no sense

It means you actually have to create space and expend combat actions to buff up, if you go the pre-buffing route you may as well drop buffs entirely as all it is is a tax on your time and patience

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Furism posted:

Yeah the FBSS I farmed it for 27 hours. Straight. It dropped twice and I was third in the queue. EverQuest has both my best and worst video game memories ever.

Fun story about that: I do, and because I was a Wizard, I could bind next to him and port to him for most respawn cycles. Good times.

I also camped out for the ancient sow boots or whatever anniversary thing they were doing. I joined a line and stayed up for 30+ hours straight waiting for my turn. I joined at like 4 in the afternoon and just went to class the next day without sleeping. College, man.

Also porting into Hate or Fear for raids, then getting a text an hour later that they fully wiped and need recovery. Camp a monk next time, idiots.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
I generally just prioritize buffs and drop the most important while the party is engaging. Several of the good ones affect the enemy party as well, and you have time to get some spells off before you really need to heal or lay down a damage spell. Also if you try to use too many buffs, they wear off before you can finish casting them all anyhow :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There is basically no PoE battle on any difficulty where kite buffing would be worth the effort

I mean you could do it but it the ratio if pain to benefit would be real bad

I think sometimes people didn't like PoE because they tried to force it to fit really bizarre playsyles they had learned from other games rather than just like playing it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I feel like I need to step in here and defend kiting as a superlative combat tactic and an extremely thrilling way to play isometric RtwP games

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My battle plan for dragons was generally to send Eder built for maximum defence in alone whilst the rest of the team spends two sets of actions getting down the big defensive buffs in private before they join the fight, it's kind of a crude way to win but it was pretty effective

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think for Steampunk to work well it has to address Victorian colonialism, imperialism, etc head on, rather than romanticizing such.

No, that would make a dull videogame. Air to air zeppelin combat and lighting-bolt guns would be a fun video game.

Also PoD just got really hard. Party is at level 8 and Galvino's Workshop is kicking my rear end so loving hard. I cleared most all of the Battery exterior without too much drama but I just had party wipe #5 at like the first big room full of constructs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

No, that would make a dull videogame. Air to air zeppelin combat and lighting-bolt guns would be a fun video game.

Yeah, when I saw Ropekid's comment above my thought was "that's probably a bigger problem in games than in fiction."

Secret to Galvino's workshop:

Robots are vessels. Get the vessel-destroying paladin sword just north of Galvino's hut and then go to town

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Furism posted:

Sometime after the JBoots quest was changed, an EQ dev posted the trigger system for the ancient cyclops. It really was as Byzantine and horrible as people had speculated it was.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Robots are vessels. Get the vessel-destroying paladin sword just north of Galvino's hut and then go to town

I have it and even with Eder swinging for the fences I am getting my rear end kicked. I cannot seem to balance CC, focus-firing dudes down, and keeping my dudes alive. I got so close last night and right after I wiped I remembered that I had all these summon items that I had forgotten about. The time before that I neglected to use my chanter's summons for like half of the battle. I may have to accept the truth and force myself to play a videogame non-stoned. Plz send thoughts and prayers my way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

I have it and even with Eder swinging for the fences I am getting my rear end kicked. I cannot seem to balance CC, focus-firing dudes down, and keeping my dudes alive. I got so close last night and right after I wiped I remembered that I had all these summon items that I had forgotten about. The time before that I neglected to use my chanter's summons for like half of the battle. I may have to accept the truth and force myself to play a videogame non-stoned. Plz send thoughts and prayers my way.

Now now let's not take drastic measures

The other secret key to PoE PotD is using debuffs. Find a debuff that raises your accuracy or debuffs enemy defenses, so you can hit them with the fancy sword.

Oh and give the sword to a barbarian for carnage procs

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Now now let's not take drastic measures

The other secret key to PoE PotD is using debuffs. Find a debuff that raises your accuracy or debuffs enemy defenses, so you can hit them with the fancy sword.

Oh and give the sword to a barbarian for carnage procs

Yea, the other awful truth is that I might need to to make a Priest. I have been rolling w/o one perfectly fine so far, but my NCP chanter is p underwhelming so she might get the boot. I built BirdLady to be a healer-type and it has worked well so far, but I think I need her to take a more offensive role.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, the other awful truth is that I might need to to make a Priest. I have been rolling w/o one perfectly fine so far, but my NCP chanter is p underwhelming so she might get the boot. I built BirdLady to be a healer-type and it has worked well so far, but I think I need her to take a more offensive role.

oh yeah that's one thing that kinda sucks about PoE is that you basically need a priest for the immunity buffs, or at least it's a LOT easier with a priest than without one

Fortunately this seems to be something they're addressing in PoE 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Steampunk has nothing to say, it really is "just a kitschy aesthetic" (which ironically enough is also what cyberpunk devolved into in the mid-90s)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

precision posted:

Steampunk has nothing to say, it really is "just a kitschy aesthetic" (which ironically enough is also what cyberpunk devolved into in the mid-90s)

I think that's the case with most genre fiction and in most games, yeah.

I'd suggest people read China Mieville, Michael Swanwick though. They both use "steampunk" elements to explore race/class/economic issues -- examples that spring to mind are convicts getting "sentenced" to have their limbs replaced with steam-engine parts and sent to work in coal mines, or elves enslaving humans to work in an iron factory for them. Original and engaging authors but they definitely don't fit in the standard Girl Genius style steampunk kitsch aesthetic.

There's also Colin Greenland's Harm's Way but it's more of a spelljammer aesthetic than a steampunk one.

Basically, like with a lot of other tropes, the question is "are you using these tropes for a reason, or are you just inserting trope and expecting cool to pop out?" Mieville and Swanwick are writing steampunk-esque stories for reasons, not just as arbitrary exercises in aesthetics.

Good victorian-era fiction has to focus on the underside of the victorian era, not just the fancy costumes. Same reason Sherlock Holmes is at his best in opium dens.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 29, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

bongwizzard posted:

I dunno, take Lawrence of Arabia and add air to air zeppelin combat and lightning-bolt guns and you have both.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sadly, if I recall, if you actually DO murder Bates, the ending is that nobody could manage to copy his genius (even though he tells you straight up he didn't invent jack poo poo) and technology starts to break down and Tarant more or less falls entirely. Likewise the only happy ending for orcs comes from telling Donn Throgg to work inside the system and accept slow incremental change and moderation.

Confession time: I've never actually seen the ending slides to Arcanum because even with the unofficial patch, the game doesn't seem to properly display them on newer operating systems.

Donn Throgg rules though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Steampunk has nothing to say, it really is "just a kitschy aesthetic"

Sure, but that is all I want from a game.

]

This was great and at no point was I lectured about the class struggle.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I somewhat agree with bongwizzard I just want games to look cool and be fun

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

hosed up that rope Kid will never make a rocketeer game, even if they begged him to

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Sure, but that is all I want from a game.

]

This was great and at no point was I lectured about the class struggle.

Crimson Skies isn't steampunk. It's alternate history :colbert:

And what do you think the "crimson" in the title refers to? (Hint: think reds) Nathan Zachary was a ladies man, an air pirate, and a communist. It's all in the subtext.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

China Mieville sucks. It's been ages since I read 3/4 of PSS and it still makes me angry.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Chairchucker posted:

I somewhat agree with bongwizzard I just want games to look cool and be fun

Wow dude, that's hosed up.

First step is agreeing with bongwiz, next you are skipping the story in poe 2 and posting on forums about how bad the game is without a fishing game.

Bongwizzard, not even once.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

bongwizzard posted:

Also PoD just got really hard. Party is at level 8 and Galvino's Workshop is kicking my rear end so loving hard. I cleared most all of the Battery exterior without too much drama but I just had party wipe #5 at like the first big room full of constructs.

Do you have a wizard and did you cast shadowflame? This is your first big opportunity to put it to use. Do so. Also, I don't remember what's in the first big room and I'm not sure what's killing you, but however much of a slog Galvino's may be, there is a puzzle like quality to the fights in there that's pretty cool. What, precisely, is giving you trouble? If you're not sure, try to figure it out, then work around it. One tip is to kite back at the start of every encounter. One of the types of constructs in there likes to cast a big AoE at the start of every fight that will miss if you just walk backwards once the fight starts.

Not sure what your party is other than no priest, Pallegina and Eder. I do recommend speccing Pallegina for alpha strikes. Wrath of five suns, scion of flame, flames of devotion, intense flames, armsbearer, and quick switch with two arquebuses should let you throw out 3 100+ damage hits at the start of every fight, letting you instantly eliminate at least one troublesome enemy. It's a really fun build for paladins and it's one that Pallegina, unique among NPCs, can do better than a PC.

A priest would make a big difference in this area and the next because of holy radiance alone, but you can absolutely get through without one. Kite back, open fights with CC (shadowflame, slicken, etc.), have Pallegina eliminate something you want to see gone. Position Eder so that he can keep one tough enemy knocked down and have your damage dealers try to kill it before it can get back up. Once you've got the numbers in your favor, you should be able to mop up the rest without spending too many per rests.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

bongwizzard posted:

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Do you have a wizard and did you cast shadowflame? This is your first big opportunity to put it to use. Do so. Also, I don't remember what's in the first big room and I'm not sure what's killing you, but however much of a slog Galvino's may be, there is a puzzle like quality to the fights in there that's pretty cool. What, precisely, is giving you trouble? If you're not sure, try to figure it out, then work around it. One tip is to kite back at the start of every encounter. One of the types of constructs in there likes to cast a big AoE at the start of every fight that will miss if you just walk backwards once the fight starts.

Not sure what your party is other than no priest, Pallegina and Eder. I do recommend speccing Pallegina for alpha strikes. Wrath of five suns, scion of flame, flames of devotion, intense flames, armsbearer, and quick switch with two arquebuses should let you throw out 3 100+ damage hits at the start of every fight, letting you instantly eliminate at least one troublesome enemy. It's a really fun build for paladins and it's one that Pallegina, unique among NPCs, can do better than a PC.

A priest would make a big difference in this area and the next because of holy radiance alone, but you can absolutely get through without one. Kite back, open fights with CC (shadowflame, slicken, etc.), have Pallegina eliminate something you want to see gone. Position Eder so that he can keep one tough enemy knocked down and have your damage dealers try to kill it before it can get back up. Once you've got the numbers in your favor, you should be able to mop up the rest without spending too many per rests.

You can pick up some boots of speed nearby at the russetwood in a frozen corpse stuck in a avalanche on the north side of the map so you can run up to the unstable constructs to trigger them and have them blow up the other constructs. Also chill fog is crazy useful here, as is the third level spell expose vulnerabilities. I often have Kana with Tall Grass and a ring of combusting wounds as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

There's kinda different annoyances in that area that you have to juggle. You need to CC or burn down the exploding golems asap or your day is ruined, and you also need to make sure your dudes don't bunch up too much not only because of that but because of those other golems that spam that corrosive fog.

I do a fighting retreat a lot in that area where I basically move in to aggro a group of enemies and then keep moving backwards towards the entrance while picking off the exploding golems. Once I have those taken care of I engage with less worry. You can also use summons/cannon fodder to just rush in and take the explosions so your party doesn't get hit by them.

There's a ton of choke points in that area too so you can always be lame and just fight them in door ways.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Unstable Constructs: Run somebody up into melee range of them. When you see them start casting something, run the gently caress away from them and let them explode.

Iron Constructs: When you see them, back the gently caress up, they're going to drop AOEs on your location and they'll hurt.

If all else fails get a Barbarian and give them St Ydwin's Redeemer, then watch them carnage their way through the pack. The ability that instantly resets their recovery time when they kill something is fantastic here because it will activate off of Destroy Vessels procs.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If you have a priest, using the spell that gets them Stuck when they're casting their self-destruction ability can help a lot. Alternatively, crowd control them and kill them fast while they can't perform any action.

EDIT: That's for the Unstable Constructs. I never paid much attention to the other enemy types.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Get Ydrim's Redeemer, equip it on a high Accuracy, high Intelligence Barbarian and gently caress everybody up in Galvino's and the Battery. Best fun in PoE.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You can pick up some boots of speed nearby at the russetwood in a frozen corpse stuck in a avalanche on the north side of the map so you can run up to the unstable constructs to trigger them and have them blow up the other constructs.

Interesting, I have toyed with the idea of grabbing an ncp ranger and using their pet to trigger them. Will summons trigger it as well?

Furism posted:

Get Ydrim's Redeemer, equip it on a high Accuracy, high Intelligence Barbarian and gently caress everybody up in Galvino's and the Battery. Best fun in PoE.

I have re-speced Eder to focus on accuracy and damage and bound the Redeemer to him, so hopefully that will work, otherwise it might be Barbarian time!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

I have re-speced Eder to focus on accuracy and damage and bound the Redeemer to him, so hopefully that will work, otherwise it might be Barbarian time!

It's going to work fine. It's just that on a Barb the sword's effect procs with carnage, so you become a vortex of vessel destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

bongwizzard posted:

Interesting, I have toyed with the idea of grabbing an ncp ranger and using their pet to trigger them. Will summons trigger it as well?

Absolutely, also at 8th level Kana's chants pretty fast so if you trigger the enemies at a distance and have him doing short chants you should be able to summon three skeletons to trigger the unstable constructs as well.

• Locked thread