Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea it's up to prefferences, a turn based rpg is as different from a rtwp one as a fps like call of duty is from a stealth game like hitman, they just keep getting lumped in the same genre more often hence the comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

rope kid posted:

The people who aren't willing to do basic arithmetic probably aren't likely to even look at a DPS value if we provided it. We heavily modified the DPS value from F3 in F:NV (and provided a separate DAM value). The people who cared about those values looked at them, thought about them, discussed them, and made choices based on them (and their own theories) but there are hundreds of let's play video series out there that show people scrolling past AMRs and brush guns to use lever-action shotguns with buckshot against NCR heavy troopers.
Why should the player be required to whip out a calculator every time they compare items to find out a basic stat? I'm not willing to do that because that's silly. DPS is probably the single most important stat for a weapon. I see your point regarding the issue of what factors it should or shouldn't include and yeah people might complain about it, but even just taking the damage and the attack/recovery time into account and doing that basic arithmetic for the player would be a huge improvement. Maybe a tooltip could explain what it does and doesn't account for? Or an encyclopedia entry if it gets lengthy. Most people wouldn't care to read that, most likely, but they'd still get a much better sense of a weapon's power from a DPS stat than they will out of raw damage.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just give us a proper modding toolkit (Firaxis' amazing and a good example) and we'll just code it ourselves.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
IMO a training dummy provides the best of both worlds, given that it's:

– An actual representation of what's done in game so will take account of any bugs that might not be known in the engine (non-theoretical)
– Simple and does the math for the player (no spreadsheets)
– Doesn't need to be updated
– Fast
– Newbie friendly
– Can take account of most of the conditional elements in combat providing the stats of the dummy are variable and it can attack you back (under duress, under afflictions etc ...)
– Can be implemented in a lore friendly way

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yeah I like the training dummy as well. Worked well in World of Warcraft.

Although something simple would work, like "Estimated DPS vs." and then calculate some rough DPS against various Deflection or whatever the new armor class is. So at a glance when comparing two items you can guesstimate which one is an upgrade (only estimate because this can't take procs like summons or skills like Carnage into account I guess).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Some itemization chat: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/161718781511/hi-josh-talking-about-the-revised-weapon

quote:

I designed a unique rapier called Squid’s Grasp. Its description features the history of its original owner, a Príncipi captain named Azio, known as “Calmo” (”squid” in Vailian). The gist of the story is that Azio was cruel and sadistic, feared and hated as much by his own crew as by his enemies. He survived four mutiny attempts and gained a reputation for having eyes in the back of his head and being impossible to capture.

I’ll leave the rest of the details for the game, but the visual description I gave was “Black as ink, semimatte, but the edge is sharpened steel. Any other modifications that fit the vibe.” Some descriptions are much more detailed and feature reference photos, but for Squid’s Grasp, I didn’t think it required additional details. For powers, I requested abilities that grant bonuses when threatened by three or more enemies, abilities that trigger when the wielder is flanked, and a short-range teleport that leaves a blinding black cloud behind.

So ultimately, we may have two capital F Flaming weapons, three, or maybe only one. We may have two weapons of Beast Slaying or none. It depends on the concepts we develop, how unique we can make each individual weapon, and how many enchantment options are available for a given property.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope there's another disappointer, that weapon ruled.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

rope kid posted:

The people who aren't willing to do basic arithmetic probably aren't likely to even look at a DPS value if we provided it. We heavily modified the DPS value from F3 in F:NV (and provided a separate DAM value). The people who cared about those values looked at them, thought about them, discussed them, and made choices based on them (and their own theories) but there are hundreds of let's play video series out there that show people scrolling past AMRs and brush guns to use lever-action shotguns with buckshot against NCR heavy troopers.

To be fair, that has more to do with the fact that in every video game since the dawn of time shotguns have been badass, and something called a 'brush gun' sounds like you're assaulting your enemies with a dry fart.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't even know what brush guns and AMRs are, I'm sure I was one of those idiots using completely inappropriate weapons in New Vegas

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Phlegmish posted:

I don't even know what brush guns and AMRs are, I'm sure I was one of those idiots using completely inappropriate weapons in New Vegas

If you weren't wearing a lab coat and using a laser rifle with a critical hit build to disintegrate everything then you were definitely playing it wrong.

Mad scientist courier is the best.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
smh if u dont fashion souls every game u play fam

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Uh, fallout nv is played with western themed light armor and a bolt action rifle. All the way through. except for OWB where you are naked and wielding a proton axe like a proper lobotomite. But as soon as you have a chat and reconcile with your brain you go back to being a wasteland cowboy. If you do ncr long enough to get the ranger armor and then turn on them for Mr. House youve basically played the canon version of the story

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The only canon playstyle for Fallout: New Vegas is

<insert 4000 word fanfiction about a kind-hearted cannibal who feasts on the heart of Caesar and has unrequited feelings for Arcade Gannon>

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

basic hitler posted:

Uh, fallout nv is played with western themed light armor and a bolt action rifle. All the way through. except for OWB where you are naked and wielding a proton axe like a proper lobotomite. But as soon as you have a chat and reconcile with your brain you go back to being a wasteland cowboy. If you do ncr long enough to get the ranger armor and then turn on them for Mr. House youve basically played the canon version of the story

No, you play it through wearing the Sheriff's coat and hat from Primm while using a revolver.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
God drat, now i have to play new vegas again.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Not gonna lie, i loving love new vegas.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tyranny news is a free patch with NG+, cheapish DLC available now, and bigger DLC available later, BTW.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Teaser trailer, no release date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbGDJaWdCgo

And there's a quest pack DLC already up called "Tales from the Tiers" for $7.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've never actually done Dead Money, Lonesome Road, or Old World Blues all the way through, I really should go back to it and do those,

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Khizan posted:

I've never actually done Dead Money, Lonesome Road, or Old World Blues all the way through, I really should go back to it and do those,

You really should, the expansions for NV are super good.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I love New Vegas a lot but I gotta tell you I was only ever able to tolerate Dead Money once. Last time I tried, it actually killed my play-through. It was the first time I'd ever modded it, with a bunch of graphic tweaks, higher-res textures, jsawyer, and all that. I was really having a lot of fun and kind of discovering new things and remembering why I liked the game so much back in 2010.

But I got about 20 minutes into dead money and I wanted out immediately, and I had no recent saves to go back to. That was around the time I bought Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 was coming up so I never resumed it.

THAT said, if you haven't done it, you should. While I think the gameplay is among the worst in any fallout game, it's not anything that can't be overcome, and it's got a pretty great story, with great characters. Meleeing the undead with a machete and playing Hot & Cold with a bomb collar you can't remove gets pretty loving irritating if you already know what's in store, but if you pretend the Courier fell temporarily into a weird Resident Evil RPG , you can make the best of it and discover some great stories and some of the more interesting lore in the series.

Sorry for indulging the F:NV derail, but any thread about Obsidian is owed it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Really they should have made it so the game creates a special save that can only he overwritten manually when you go into a DLC adventure, like they patched in for the final battle in the main game. PoE doesn't have that issue because you can go back and forth at will.

That said, i think the DLCs are the best part of the game, and this derail is making me sadder than ever that some Windows 10 update or memory problem has rendered New Vegas literally unplayable on my machine :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Dead Money has some serious issues, but the characters are cool and the horror feel is a nice change of pace from being an unstoppable Wasteland God. Of course, once you figure out just how good the holorifle is and how to deal with the ghost people the horror goes away and you're a deity once more.

2house2fly posted:

That said, i think the DLCs are the best part of the game, and this derail is making me sadder than ever that some Windows 10 update or memory problem has rendered New Vegas literally unplayable on my machine :(

I have over 270 hours in New Vegas according to Steam, and I still plan to go back someday (when I can get the strength together to put up with ten hours of modding prep). I recommend getting a new computer, solely for playing more New Vegas.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Did it stop working after the Win 10 Anniversary Update? Update your drivers and check out NVAC on the nexus.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

basic hitler posted:

western themed light armor and a bolt action rifle

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Tyranny news is a free patch with NG+, cheapish DLC available now, and bigger DLC available later, BTW.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Nice, I had given up hope for anything more than some patches.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only way to play New Vegas was as an aggresively hegemonizing swarm of robots as this picture demonstrates.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I worded that for poo poo and i'm pretty sure I made the idiot mistake of using "bolt-action" as a catchall for "old timey rifle", but it's been a while since i played and I'm barely awake. you basically have to look like this except without the scope on the gun. Your weapon choices are Hunting rifle, Varmint Rifle, or Cowboy Repeater, and the hat is mandatory.

I know it's tough to learn facts like this about your own game, from some jackass named Basic Hitler, but it's true.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If all you care about is looks you should add the Brush Gun and the Trail Carbine to that list, since they're lever action rifles.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

basic hitler posted:

I love New Vegas a lot but I gotta tell you I was only ever able to tolerate Dead Money once. Last time I tried, it actually killed my play-through. It was the first time I'd ever modded it, with a bunch of graphic tweaks, higher-res textures, jsawyer, and all that. I was really having a lot of fun and kind of discovering new things and remembering why I liked the game so much back in 2010.

But I got about 20 minutes into dead money and I wanted out immediately, and I had no recent saves to go back to. That was around the time I bought Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 was coming up so I never resumed it.

THAT said, if you haven't done it, you should. While I think the gameplay is among the worst in any fallout game, it's not anything that can't be overcome, and it's got a pretty great story, with great characters. Meleeing the undead with a machete and playing Hot & Cold with a bomb collar you can't remove gets pretty loving irritating if you already know what's in store, but if you pretend the Courier fell temporarily into a weird Resident Evil RPG , you can make the best of it and discover some great stories and some of the more interesting lore in the series.

Sorry for indulging the F:NV derail, but any thread about Obsidian is owed it.

The thing about Dead Money is that it's super polarizing; pretty much everyone either loves it or hates it with few in between. Personally I love pretty much everything about it and it's the highlight of any occasion that I play NV but I can understand why another would dislike it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gobblecoque posted:

The thing about Dead Money is that it's super polarizing; pretty much everyone either loves it or hates it with few in between. Personally I love pretty much everything about it and it's the highlight of any occasion that I play NV but I can understand why another would dislike it.

Same here- the whole emphasis on survival as opposed to having all your OP guns and stuff was really cool, and while the traps were annoying at first (at least for me) once I got the hang of them they really upped the tension in ways the base game didn't.

Now Honest Hearts- man, the main storyline was great, but good God was Zion an utter bore to play through.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

I fully believe people should give it a shot and I don't want to dissuade anyone from playing it, but I wanted to give my input as a man who likes to roleplay cowboys who don't know what a bolt action rifle is, in post apocalyptic Nevada. If you play like that, Dead Money is a pretty jarring break from the play style of the rest of the Mojave. Someone warned me that Dead Money introduced a very different play style before I got it, and that warning prepped me for it in a positive way. I'm just not sure I could tolerate playing it again, now that I know the story, but it was worth experiencing.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
My pet hate is Avellone's nonsensical one-way elevator plotlines. There was one in Kotor II (press the button and it swaps two characters over and also teleports the villain back for some reason), and the one in Dead Money was even more ridiculous.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

From the release:

quote:

New characters and new stories await players in Bastard’s Wound, including a closer look at the world of the Beastmen, the fate of a refugee settlement, and all-new companion quests featuring three of Tyranny’s most memorable party members.

Features

A Refuge from Kyros: Players will explore an all-new section of the world, centered around an illegal settlement of those who have fled the devastation of the war. What sentence will you mete out to the stragglers?
Companion Quests: Learn more about the history and personality of Verse, Barik, and Lantry, in new quests and interactions to earn their loyalty or enmity.
Loyalty and Service: Bastard’s Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?

That's really cool they're adding a brand new ending path for the people siding with Kyros.

The new patch has respeccing too now in addition to a pretty substantive new game+

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-patch-notes-1-1-0-0023.1028830/

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Raygereio posted:

Did it stop working after the Win 10 Anniversary Update? Update your drivers and check out NVAC on the nexus.

I had done all this before and nada, then I tried it again today and it seems to work perfectly. Pleased shrug!

E: regarding the NV DLCs, they're very different from the main game and that's partially why I like them; it's like they help to strengthen the setting by defining themselves in relation to it- sort of different antitheses to the Mojave's thesis, you could say. It helps that (Honest Hearts excepted) they're all incredibly hostile places and you'll avert an existential threat to the Mojave in each one, reinforcing the relative friendliness of the Mojave as the Courier's home. Even Zion, beautiful as it is, is somewhere you come home from.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 13, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Scorchy posted:

From the release:

That's really cool they're adding a brand new ending path for the people siding with Kyros.

The new patch has respeccing too now in addition to a pretty substantive new game+

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tyranny-patch-notes-1-1-0-0023.1028830/

The new game + stuff actually sounds pretty neat:

quote:

Item Importing
    Players may select up to 2 items to bring from a previous playthrough.
    The number of items that can be imported increases by 1 for each subsequent New Game+ playthrough.
    Once an Item has been unlocked for a New Game+, it can be selected on future playthroughs of the same character without being unlocked each time.

Character Creation
    All previous choices up until conquest will be kept, but can be changed.
    Attribute Points can be reassigned.
    Experience in Skills can be re-assigned.
    If Attributes or Skills are re-assigned during character creation, all talent points will also be refunded. These can be reallocated after character creation.

Conquest
    All previous actions chosen in conquest in the previous play-through are highlighted to remind players of which choices they made previously.

Reputation Abilities
    Players will be able to unlock up to 2 reputation abilities they had unlocked in their previous playthrough.
    The number of unlockable reputation abilities will increase for each new play-through.

New Merchant
    On New Game+ playthroughs, there is a new merchant available in game.

Other notes
    All rings acquired from the previous play-through will carry over to New Game+ Characters.
    All Spell Cores, Expressions, and Accents unlocked will carry over to New Game+ Characters.

The level cap for New Game+ Characters has been raised to 99.
    Enemies will also scale to meet the player's new starting level.

Slowly build up your character's gear and power from one new game to the next.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I had done all this before and nada, then I tried it again today and it seems to work perfectly. Pleased shrug!

E: regarding the NV DLCs, they're very different from the main game and that's partially why I like them; it's like they help to strengthen the setting by defining themselves in relation to it- sort of different antitheses to the Mojave's thesis, you could say. It helps that (Honest Hearts excepted) they're all incredibly hostile places and you'll avert an existential threat to the Mojave in each one, reinforcing the relative friendliness of the Mojave as the Courier's home. Even Zion, beautiful as it is, is somewhere you come home from.

And at the same time they all reinforce the main theme of the game, which is that to move forward you have to learn to let go of the past.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

the main theme of the game, which is that to move forward you have to learn to let go of the past.

Actually you will find the main theme is that shooting 80's punk rockers with a levergun never gets old, even years later.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Actually you will find the main theme is that shooting 80's punk rockers with a levergun never gets old, even years later.

Or is that the moral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

bongwizzard posted:

The main theme is that I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle

• Locked thread