Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

Same. I love pets and pet classes.

Making the pet class and the ranged class be the same class is just horribly limiting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

rope kid posted:

The world doesn't have enough money for all of a game development team's ideas.

Works for me, I'm in for $250.

Ropekid, I have a very important question. Can we gently caress the statue in Baldurs Gate 2 Pillars of Eternity 2. Is that one of the endings.

Also for those who actually did the work, are there any payoffs to being a Priest in PoE1? Any Priest only content you can remember? Specifically Magran or Eothas? It felt like Ciphers got triple the responses as the other classes, but I always kind of wanted to bring a Priest of Eothas through the game to see how the ending responded. Actually, do Rangers get a single mention ever?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Space Pussy posted:

Slower default combat sounds good but I'm super triggered about the 5 party member change.

Yeah gently caress this. I want 6. I loved that about BG and IWD.

Not 4 or 5 - 6.

Maybe being a fat backer will give my whining some weight.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Boo 5 player parties.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm glad for 5 player parties. It will allow them to write better companions, balance the combat encounters more effectively, and make each encounter less mentally taxing (fewer variables that need to be tracked).

oswald ownenstein posted:

The writing is too good for any ridiculous romances but if you're looking at the audience, the game could use a Viconia or Morrigan.

That was one thing kind of oddly missing from the first game - and don't bring up grieving mother because nobody wanted to stick it in that cray

Characters like Viconia and Morrigan - ones that constantly second-guess the PC's choices - are very much an acquired taste. I suspect the PCs in PoE1 were written the way they were to make them more-or-less appealing to everyone (if not especially engaging).

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The decreased party size would probably bug me if not for the multiclassing additions, which should allow me to fill any hole that having one less member would have created in my team composition.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm good with smaller party, i felt like six was a lot to manage at once

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Maybe they can just add a scaling option if the community is that divided - I'd imagine the majority of RPG dorks and backers will insist on 6 though.

I always loved 6 because I liked having a bunch of different roles, or some duplicates, rather than the lovely dragon age style - and frankly I hate leaving characters behind. I know they're just text and bits and bloops but I always feel bad.

I would never want more than 6 because then it gets ridiculous - but 6 is a good magical number for me

(Works out well in games like XCOM too)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Scoss posted:

5 party members sucks if true. One of the things I like most about these oldschool D&D style games is big parties. By the time you shrink down to 3 or 4 member parties I feel like you have only enough spots to cover the necessary roles and nothing more for creativity or fun, or worse, the roles become generalized and you lose the archetypal fantasy for what a class is supposed to be. 5 is still bigger than a Dragon Age or Mass effect but it's a step in a direction I don't want.
Free yourself of "necessary" roles.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

i'm good with smaller party, i felt like six was a lot to manage at once

Six is a staple of the genre. And you were never really forced to run with a full crew.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zore posted:

Oh, I meant as a fully fledged companion like Eder, not an animal companion.

It's be rad as hell, I agree, but- Xaurips can't talk. Players could barely loving abide Grieving Mother, and she used actual words on occasion. How are they going to take to a companion that can only communicate through yelps and mummery?

Vermain posted:

I'm glad for 5 player parties. It will allow them to write better companions,

Before anyone goes too far down this train of thought- there's no reason to assume that a smaller party size will imply fewer companions overall. They're still going to want at least one of each class, and I don't think they're going to have fewer of those. (I'd prefer two of each at a minimum, but that's a lot of writing).

(I really liked the six-man party :< )

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Vermain posted:

I'm glad for 5 player parties. It will allow them to write better companions, balance the combat encounters more effectively, and make each encounter less mentally taxing (fewer variables that need to be tracked).

Mentally taxing encounters are what makes it fun.

Having 6 player parties increases the variation between the highest highs and lowest lows. I like having the freedom to drag around 1 or 2 characters that I enjoy playing or interacting with, but are considered suboptimal.

The fun I find in these games is experimenting with different builds, and smaller parties just feels very constraining. It puts way more onus on the developers to try to balance every class and build. If my rapier monk is kinda crappy in a 6 player party, then who cares. In a 5 player party it's far more magnified. I don't think I would have had a Chanter or a Rogue around for instance in a smaller party.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vermain posted:

I'm glad for 5 player parties. It will allow them to write better companions

I mean, in theory maybe. But I certainly didn't feel like Tyranny had better companions despite only having a handful total and a party limit of 4, for example. Sure, different teams and all, I'm just saying there's nothing inherent about fewer = better/more fleshed out.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The Fig investment pitch seems meh. If those average prices are even slightly optimistic, it needs to fall in that 800k range to break even and 1M to make a reasonable return. When you invest in things like this you're not looking to have a realistic upside of 25% in two years.

But it's always good to have a third competitor to KS/Indiegogo so I hope it does well, and the game itself ought to be fun enough to justify the 29 bux.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's be rad as hell, I agree, but- Xaurips can't talk. Players could barely loving abide Grieving Mother, and she used actual words on occasion. How are they going to take to a companion that can only communicate through yelps and mummery?

You could actually do a mute character really well in a text driven cRPG. Because you can write the text describing the actions, they could be as expressive as a character who can talk with requiring a massive animation budget.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
50% funded after six and a half hours woot

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

From http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/

quote:

theovf22stuff asked:
"How does the content streaming work? How does one achieve content streaming with what are essentially huge hand painted 2D backgrounds? This is one of the things that got me scratching my head and I'm curious to hear even a basic explanation of how this was done."

It’s important to think of a game level as being much more than just the environment art (2D or otherwise) in it. That said, our backgrounds (both in PoE and Deadfire) are actually chopped up into tiles that are loaded and stitched together at runtime. It is similar (but by no means identical) to how Infinity Engine maps were sliced up into hundreds of 64x64 8-bit tiles.
I believe Roby Atadero and Adam Brennecke both worked on our streaming system, so hopefully they can give more details in the near future.

quote:

koprophagoi asked:
"Can you talk about the inspirations for the art direction of Deadfire Archipelago material culture. E.g. for architecture, sculptures, weapons, nautical vessels etc. ? Certainly noticing quite a broad mix of real world correlates in elements from Indo-Islamic, Persian, South-East Asian, Polynesian, and even more."

I’ll be brief with this response as well because I’d hate to steal the limelight from our fantastic art team, headed by Kaz Aruga. We’ve tried to spread out our influences in the Deadfire, so we’re relying less on European sources of inspiration, much more on SE Asian, Polynesian (e.g. Māori, Balinese), east African, Indian, and other cultures.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CottonWolf posted:

You could actually do a mute character really well in a text driven cRPG. Because you can write the text describing the actions, they could be as expressive as a character who can talk with requiring a massive animation budget.

I'm trying to remember if there have been mute companions in RPGs before, aside from simply characters who don't have anything to say like created party members. Some games will have a pet character like a dog that might have a few token interactions.

Actually, you know what'd be cool? A companion who can speak, but doesn't speak your language. Like you end up picking up a native from an isolated island, or you meet an explorer from a distant land, or hell you just meet a foreigner somewhere who's not up on the local trade language. Might be a fun set-up, either learning their language as they go or trying to clue them into what's going on, or how you'd even end up working together in the first place. If you're nutty you could go full con-lang and make something up but I'm guessing as soon as you put down words some player would decypher it then want for their character to be able to do the same thing.

Regardless, everyone speaking the common tongue is one of those gameplay/story conveniences that could be novel to mess with and make a character stand out more.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

FYI, assuming we're 24 plus months out for FIG, the investment return seems pretty shallow yeah.

With compound interest and the poor sales of Tyranny, breaking 1 million is a pretty big ask for any sort of return, esp if money is going to be 24-36 months from release date.

A regular investment account with 5% compound is going to return better than 1.13 over 3 years, unless this game turns out to be a supermassive hit and breaks 1.5 million copies you should be putting your savings into a regular savings account. Deadfire will probably sell about 800k full priced copies, in line with the first game.

ofc if you know you're not going to actually save the money or put it in an account because lazy n disorganised, better to shove it in FIG than spend it on a vacation or a nicer car. FIG's one of the easiest, poo poo simple ways of investing money, but you shouldn't invest in 99% of cases.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Dolash posted:

I'm trying to remember if there have been mute companions in RPGs before, aside from simply characters who don't have anything to say like created party members. Some games will have a pet character like a dog that might have a few token interactions.

There was a mute character in fallout new vegas: dead money that worked out pretty well.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Can someone familiar with fig tell me if late backing is possible? Don't think I can throw an appreciable amount of money by the end of the month, but I want to give ya'll $$$

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Grieving Mother was basically a mute character who talked on occasion

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Welp, here goes 284$. Gotta have that Obsidian hoodie.

I'm a bit sad they went with multiclassing instead of Prestige Classes. I'm sure there has been a discussion about this and I wonder why they went with that choice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scorchy posted:

Boo 5 player parties.

So much agreement

For many reasons. It really limits party composition, limits ability to experience the different companions, and the odd number makes for odd and irregular formations.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 27, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Urthor posted:

FYI, assuming we're 24 plus months out for FIG, the investment return seems pretty shallow yeah.

With compound interest and the poor sales of Tyranny, breaking 1 million is a pretty big ask for any sort of return, esp if money is going to be 24-36 months from release date.

A regular investment account with 5% compound is going to return better than 1.13 over 3 years, unless this game turns out to be a supermassive hit and breaks 1.5 million copies you should be putting your savings into a regular savings account. Deadfire will probably sell about 800k full priced copies, in line with the first game.

ofc if you know you're not going to actually save the money or put it in an account because lazy n disorganised, better to shove it in FIG than spend it on a vacation or a nicer car. FIG's one of the easiest, poo poo simple ways of investing money, but you shouldn't invest in 99% of cases.
I think you still need to be accredited so the target audience for Fig shares isn't exactly people choosing between car or savings account. Its for rich mother fuckers who want a hobby hedge or a bullet point that says "technology" in their industries served.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So much agreement

+1

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

That'd be ideal yes

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Some of the backing options seem pretty great. Really not surprised to see "create a spell" is already sold out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh goddammit

quote:

The biggest change from the original is that Deadfire will have a five-character adventuring party. The original had six players, and Obsidian’s 2016 RPG Tyranny had four. How did the designers decide that five is the magic number?

“We’ve been playing with a five-character party for most of development and really like how encounters work with that size,” Urquhart said. I can see how this came about — six characters can be cumbersome, while four can seem … limiting. Five enables for you to cover every major RPG role — tank, damage-dealer, ranged, magic, and healing — while still giving the player room to experiment with character builds.

Yeaaah this really feels like a bad call

Harshin my buzz here man

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Bummed about 5 character parties as well! Like, you didn't even have to manage your fighter or pally or chanter or other front liner most of the encounters as the AI did a real good job of just using per-encounter abilities and auto attacking. This was a solved problem!

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh goddammit

Yeaaah this really feels like a bad call

Harshin my buzz here man

They listen to feedback a lot especially from backers - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them reverse their decision on this

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My gut is that less characters is worse because its less. But if I think really hard about every time I've played IWD or POE, there is always a 6th person who feels really vestigial and is there because I wanted to check some box I didn't actually need.

The only unarguable reason not to cut it down is because there will be no base formation that won't set off OCD.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

zedprime posted:

My gut is that less characters is worse because its less. But if I think really hard about every time I've played IWD or POE, there is always a 6th person who feels really vestigial and is there because I wanted to check some box I didn't actually need.

The only unarguable reason not to cut it down is because there will be no base formation that won't set off OCD.

I think that's just you. In every infinity game I've played - or PoE - I use all 6 characters with regular pausing. I've never felt anyone was vestigal.

Like my current party is eder (tank) , kana (off tank and occasional 2h dps + chanter stuff), me (rogue) , aloth, durance, and sagani (ranged)

I don't want the game to get dumbed down to smaller fights that only need 1 tank because we can only have 5 guys and nobody wants to take 2 tanks with 5 guys

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm bad at roleplaying games because my only thought on going from 6 characters to 5 is if you made a full 6-person party of created characters for the first game you won't be able to recreate the whole thing for the second. Or you can but you'll have to keep rotating somebody out and that's just clunky.

C'mon Obsidian what if somebody wants to do an LP?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Kind of bummed that apparently the Vol2 Lorebook will be inside the box. I wanted to read that but want keep the box mint. :smith:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I hope the game is more moddable so I can go full Wizardry 8-style eight person party with a robot monk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zedprime posted:

This is a HUGE issue for me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You're all gonna run with 5 guys and you're gonna cast my spell, and you're gonna like it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

You're all gonna run with 5 guys and you're gonna cast my spell, and you're gonna like it

What if I don't bring any spellcasters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't know how badly I wanted a sequel until I saw that release video, hell yes. When I realized Eothas was back :vince:

Plus Eder!

• Locked thread