Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.

Stumpus posted:

Starting the game over since I got the xpacs. What is the crunchiest build this thread can recommend?

Do a pirate that starts the battle by firing a blunderbuss, firing another blunderbuss, and then switching to a sabre to cut fools. That's the true pirate way.

Get that swashbuckler ready for Deadfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, I'd love nothing more than to be able to play a barbarian/priest or arcane knight or some character who wears heavy armor and spends the first half of every fight buffing the crap out of himself, then marches into combat and tears everything up with a bunch more active abilities or whatever, but that's going to take a lot a button pushing.

Doing all that on top of full party management seems like it would be more trouble than the fun you would get out of it.

I don't really see the issue. You have a limited time to use abilities in every fight and ideally your character should always be using an ability, unless their primary function is to auto attack or they've run out of abilities to use. You pause the game, make sure every one is doing something, watch it unfold, pause the game when an important action finishes, queue another and so on.

Having more abilities doesn't really make micro-management any harder, it just gives you more tools in your tool belt, since, ideally, you'd be using an ability whenever possible anyway.

Edit: I guess if you like to play the game without pausing it would make it harder, but then you are kind of working against the game and making it harder for yourself.

Akong fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 21, 2017

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Weren't wounds also related to damage type in the first game? I'm pretty sure you would get Serious Burn if you were knocked out by fire damage.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

I've only used Empower to replenish so far. Would using it to empower help deal with the armor of enemies? Seems like Armor Penetration and Armor Reduction are complete game changers and absolutely necessary, at least on Veteran. If Mercenary Fighter didn't have a mace that could reduce armor, I'd be completely screwed.

Please let us move things directly between characters instead of having to put it in the stash first. I played without unrestricted stash to begin with and oooh boy, did I regret that.

Also, really digging the writing and quest design so far. I like the flavorful foreign languages and the quest seem to all have purpose. I can see how resolving each quest differently could lead to different outcomes for the village.
I'm not a big fan of the world map as it is right now, though. I feel like maps that have previously been explored (Dank Spores, Big Lagufaeth Ambush) should stay on the maps to be visited again. I resolved the the Dank Spores one by leaving them alone because I didn't feel strong enough, but I would have liked the chance to chance my mind. Aesthetically, I would have preferred a drawn cartography-style map. The current one looks kind of janky to me, but that seems to be just me.

Akong fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 16, 2017

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Does Shifter seem kind of broken to anyone else? I made a Nalpazca Shifter and took the corrode and fire damage to my shapeshift form and it absolutely wrecked the beach Lagufaeth. Every time I got somewhat low, I just healed by changing shape. That thing wrecked my party the first time, I encountered it, but I reckon it can be soloed pretty easily with a Shifter.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

My characters all turned gray-haired on level up. I like to think this is a feature showing that my characters grow and are changed by the hardships they endure.

Kind of strange how characters can be several places at once. I came home from Poko Kohara and Vektor is literally standing a few feet away from Other Vektor.

Akong fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 16, 2017

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

If you hide your hat, it does not display your hair. Is this working as intended or will it be changed?

Sorry for spamming.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

I'm not talking about showing hair underneath the hat, but about showing hair when the hat is hidden through the UI option. That shouldn't be difficult to do, unless I'm completely mistaken.

Edit: Lots of fights in the area around Poko Kohara are not finishing for me. Enemies just stand in place, untargetable and combat never ends.

Akong fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 16, 2017

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Am I the only one getting consistent crashes when quitting to menu?

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

I found the sand grubs quite frustrating from a visual clarity and AI perspective. I was trying to pay attention to the fight but they would disappear and reappear somewhere else and my characters would run through hostile effects to catch them, always putting themselves in awful positions. I would have to actively stop them every time. It was just a mess to keep track of. I kind of like the idea, though. Just needs some tweaking.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Anyone had any luck with the Streetfighter subclass? I felt like Streetfighter/Berserker would be the perfect combo, but putting my character in a position where they are being flanked and aren't hitting allies makes them dead very quickly.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Bring back ya boi:

Or I'm writing up an angry steam review on the beta. This is your last warning. I will never give up the fight for justice and you will feel the power of my retribution in this life through to the next.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Having played a bit more, I kind of retract my initial hatred towards the penetration system. It's actually really fun managing penetrations and making sure you hit one of the thresholds on as many characters as possible. Now this does mean that things like expose vulnerabilities, Armor Rating Degen modals and Penetration modals are a must, but it's very fun to juggle it. I hope we can still get that feeling but making sure that as many play styles and weapon choices as possible are viable.

Sabers still feel kind of OP. High base damage and a penetration modal? Yes, please.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Breastplates aren't as fancy schmancy as in the first game. I haven't decided where I stand on this matter.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Why do I have 31-41 damage with a fine saber and 9-14 with Beza's Toothed Blade? The fine saber has a sharp modifier and an insane 22-30 attack effect, both of which are lacking from Beza's. Maybe that's why I felt that sabers were overpowered...

Edit: I also have one more penetration and more accuracy on the fine saber compared to Beza's which is exceptional. Seems like the exceptional modifier is just not working. I don't know whether the insane damage on the fine saber is intended.

Akong fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 18, 2017

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Ropekid, make the wyrm buddy able to land and walk around like bird friend. This is important to me and so it should be important to you

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Has anyone tried the counter mechanic? Does it work? Like, can you counter a fireball by throwing overwhelming wave at it or something? That would be pretty cool for wizard battles.

I really, really like Thrust of Tattered Veils now. Feels so good to use.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The mechanics seem to be there but I think it needs clarity especially in the combat log.

Like, there needs to be a "X begins casting THINGY" and then it needs to tell you when you mouseover "THINGY is a X inspiration which can be countered by a Y inspiration"

The other problem is that the inspiration / affliction system is a lot less comprehensive than I'd expected. Like, maybe half at most of all buffs or debuffs seem to be either inspirations or afflictions. It feels really inconsistent and complicated and I'm not sure why they didn't move ALL powers to the inspiration/afflictions system.

This is all still first impressions for me though I'm like four or five successful fights in at this point.

I'm talking mostly offensive spells, though. Like, the detail panel for fireball says "Counters: Water". Whether that means that fireball counters water or can be countered by water, I don't know. I don't even know how it would work.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

I always start combat with Infuse with Vital Essence. Enemies need to settle down anyway before I can land the good AoE's and buffing int before throwing them down is just really handy. It's just a really good spell.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Haven't encountered anything that gives immunity. But you can buff Will directly or through buffing Int or Resolve, where each point of Int or Res gives 2 points in Will.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

oooooh

If you uncheck "auto level companions" you get to level up the starting mercenaries manually, including picking better wizard spells on the wizard

note: the wizard keeps her current grimoire which has the default spells in it already

Oh my... You've been going with the auto-leveled companions so far? I'm so sorry.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Nah, i'd cheated a bunch of cash and hired a merc party. But still.
Oh, okay. I feel like being able to have an entire party of multi-classed characters would be incredibly powerful with the utility that can be filled by "secondary" classes and the damage/defense by the "main" classes. So basically everyone can be a versatile utility character while also being pretty good in combat. Any truth to that?

Anyone else finding the Escape ability to be super fun to use, visually and aurally satisfying, and just really powerful? It's definitely one of my favorite abilities right now, being used both as an escape and and engagement tool and, most of the time, both at once. It's just too good being able to go from being surrounded and in a terrible situation to flanking an exposed enemy with just one ability. And it just looks and feels so cool, which is the most important part. I get that it was in the first game, but having it multiple times in a fight is great.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Why did they go away from the drawn world map? I thought that looked much nicer.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

rope kid posted:

* People complained that the DR system felt "mushy" because it was a linear, sliding scale (it also didn't deal well with high damage values) and caused damage value bloat.

* People didn't get the Endurance/Health split.

* People either didn't understand the purpose behind the camping supplies system or understood it but burned up all of their per rest resources every encounter anyway.

I like the penetration system and the more active micro management it requires. I think it's fun. But it seems to me, that for the Endurance/Health system you are catering to people who don't bother to even try to understand a system that is, quite frankly, very easy to understand. Yet for the Penetration system you are making it significantly less intuitive. Would the people who didn't bother to learn the Endurance/Health system in the first game bother to learn the penetration system, or will they just feel frustrated when they end up doing no damage? So far, I haven't seen any streamers who managed their penetrations without me telling them about it, which is a problem when it is so crucial right now.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Abandoning armor entirely because "ah well, some monsters will penetrate it anyways" is like not equipping weapons because "ah well, some monsters won't be penetrated anyways."

This conversation is getting increasingly inane.

That's not really true, though.

If you have no armor because the enemy would penetrate anyway, you are gaining a recovery time bonus and you aren't taking more damage, because armors don't have any inherent damage reduction on them.

If you go without a weapon you'll do less damage, because you'll be using your fists, and you'll be gaining nothing.

This is ignoring any bonuses on magic gear, however.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah. Breastplates on everyone forever.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

When will we stop having characters sheath their big-rear end 2-handed swords on their back? Rope kid, you are personally killing my immersion.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

I like great stories and and worlds and exploring them in ways beyond littering the ground with corpses. I always find that the most interesting part of tabletop role playing games are when you use your characters abilities in ways that aren't strictly related to combat. I also like having a challenging combat system, however, that rewards me for looking at and using the numbers to my advantage. I would prefer if Pillars did both. Pillars 1 was definitely towards the combat side but Deadfire seems to be adding at least some possibilities for interesting things to do outside of combat.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Speaking of fashion: Will wearing a hat still make you bald in Deadfire?

Yes. Right now, even wearing a hat and hiding it with the ui option makes you bald, but that's probably not intended.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

I was so excited by the DLC announcement that I went to preorder them, completely forgetting that I had already bought it. Now I have 2.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

I kinda suspect I'm going to use one of the critical role elf pics though because I was planning to shift the hair color to white and one of them is "elf lady with white hair" so that matches up.

That's a gnome. You can only use it on any gnome characters you make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

The song in the tavern is totally a hurdy-gurdy version of the song from the Stalwart tavern.

• Locked thread