Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

Ok, am I mad or was the winning try for the titans a no try? 13 was offside at the kick, well within 10m throughout the play and made a contribution to the try?

No, I am quite sure that the Cronulla Gallens lost fair and square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Smorgasbord posted:

No, I am quite sure that the Cronulla Gallens lost fair and square.

In your answer please remember that I live in Brisbane and have a lot of family on the Coast

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Wests Tigers posted:

A Message from the CEO,

Okay, let’s great straight to the point. It is frustrating, and a disappointing outcome, to have Aaron and James’ management not communicate to the club as per the deadline on Friday. But it’s now done and now we as a club and community need to move forward.

As Members and fans, it’s important to understand that this club has afforded these players and their management every opportunity to sign with the club. As you’re all aware we have been working with their management for a number of months now to attempt to secure their future here at Wests Tigers. We identified both players as priorities to re-sign and acted accordingly, offering long-term contracts for both.

From the club’s perspective, we have purposely chosen not to comment publicly on these negotiations due to our respect for the process, we couldn’t comment publicly until we had some certainty around the playing futures of Aaron and James.

Unfortunately, as negotiations with their manager dragged on we felt we had to put a deadline in place to get some certainty, not just for us, but also the players, our Members, Corporate Partners and fans.

That led us to meeting with their manager on Tuesday and imposing a deadline for 5pm Friday to get an answer on whether our current contract offers would be accepted. Unfortunately, this deadline passed without an answer and as a result we took the current contract offers off the table.

The club was incredibly disappointed to have to take this cause of action but the club always comes first and as mentioned above we needed clarity around our playing group for 2018 and beyond.

When I spoke on Friday about the club being in an exciting position, maybe the most exciting position within its 17 year history (bar of course the glory of 2005) it was not said with any disrespect to the players departing, it was said with a view to the future. In my role, I can’t afford to dwell on the negatives, or sit idle and ponder what may have been. Members and fans expect action, not sorrow and moping around. We live and operate in a really competitive environment and I need to ensure that we gain every competitive advantage over 15 other clubs wherever possible. So yes, I have flipped the negative of losing Aaron and James into a positive as I automatically look for the next path out and up and that’s why it’s exciting.

I often hear and read “why don’t Wests Tigers acquire more players”, the simple reality is if there is no room left in the salary cap a club cannot purchase players. This club has suffered with poor contracts for sometime, these are not the fault of the players however it has meant we have been operating under salary cap pressures. Wests Tigers now head into the market with more than 200 players off contract for next season, 100% of our cap set to be playing here, and a war chest that would be the envy of our competitors is exciting for this organisation. It must also be known that the processes we have implemented over the last two year ensures this club will never be in the same challenging contract position again.

With this clarity around playing contracts we are now in a position to move forward. We can now chase the best talent in the game. We’re already aggressive in the player market and will be building a great 30 player squad for 2018 and beyond.

You will see plenty of names being linked to this club over the coming weeks and months. As always nothing is confirmed until the club announces it and I ask for your patience during this time.

We’ve already made some positive moves in this area for 2018 and beyond with the likes of Luke Brooks, David Nofoaluma and Michael Chee Kam recently committing to the club. We’ve also added Chris McQueen to our roster and look forward to having him join us for the pre-season.

This player movement is a part of the business of sport. We operate in a professional environment where players move between clubs and its up to us at Wests Tigers to make sure we’re a part of that movement and are building a club that will have sustainable long-term success.

As I’m sure you’re all aware there have been plenty of media reports that haven’t painted this club in the best light. I ask that you read between the lines, question everything you see and hear, and if needed address your concerns with the club directly. We’ve found that quite often only half a story is reported, which is disappointing, but unfortunately something we’ve become accustomed to. We are working hard to get our side of every story out there and will communicate directly with you whenever the time is right.

We’ve also copped some flak recently around our promotion of the successes within the business, primarily around our ever growing record Membership and high crowd numbers last season. The successes in the commercial side of our business, or the ‘froth and bubble’ as it’s been called by one reporter, is central to our long-term success and allows us to invest back into the Football Department to acquire experienced coaches (like Ivan Cleary) and provide the infrastructure needed to be successful on the field. Dismissing these achievements as “froth and bubbles” is naïve and shows that people external to this organisation do not understand the fundamental financial principals behind administrating professional sporting business. We’ll continue to promote all our successes, and hope that you’ll celebrate them with us.

I’d also like to address some of the speculation about Joe Wehbe’s position with the club. Earlier this year Joe was brought into the club after being recommended by a couple of players who have had personal dealings with Joe. The club worked hard to accommodate the requirements of Joe however it was Joe in the end who felt that the way he wanted to operate would conflict with the Football Department’s current operations. The club still encourages those players who have dealings with Joe to continue those relationships.

Now we must move along to today’s game. I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at ANZ Stadium for our clash with the Bulldogs. This is a huge game in the context of our season and I can assure you the team is ready to go. We have complete confidence that Ivan Cleary and his coaching staff will prepare this team to be ready to face anything the Bulldogs throw at them.

Your support provides a massive boost to the team so I call on you to be there today and be a part of what will be a great day as we commemorate the sacrifices of our servicemen and servicewomen for ANZAC Round.

Justin Pascoe
Wests Tigers CEO

Justin is, I think, not in a good mood this morning.

I'm actually OK with the thrust of this, though. In an ideal world we would have Moses, Woods and Tedesco, but we don't, and the club is bigger than any player - for the first time in possibly club history we have money, and I think after next year we're only paying for players actually on our books (and possibly an old coach or two).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I like that "we will not be paying players to play for other clubs" is an exciting new development for the tigers.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
It's funny that the Tigers are complaining about a lack of communication for the player agents when they should have heard the laughter as soon as they imposed a Friday deadline.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I think they had no other choice but setting a deadline. It was clear that the players were going to let this fart around for the rest of time and this would gently caress over the club trying to negotiate for the other off contract good players. By forcing the issue at least we have a chance to get some decent talent (although we'll still gently caress that up).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tigers gently caress up a runaway try

Gould "this is brilliant"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nofa is such a slow winger. Especially compared to the Morris twins

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Look, I don't mind when we gently caress up to give up points, but how the refs missed the fact that the dogs player dropped the ball a mile after being tackled and then they scored poo poo me to tears.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hopefully the dogs get a massive for that. Eastwood is knocked silly, trainer signals multiple times that he needs to come off, he says gently caress that and defends several plays and then saves a try. Then goes off for his assessment.

Ridiculous.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

Hopefully the dogs get a massive for that. Eastwood is knocked silly, trainer signals multiple times that he needs to come off, he says gently caress that and defends several plays and then saves a try. Then goes off for his assessment.

Ridiculous.

evidently not as silly as [insert Tigers failing]

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Brenko Lee unclear on the rules of a sin binning

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birdstrike posted:

evidently not as silly as [insert Tigers failing]

fake edit: kicked on tackle 3 clearly concussed

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Eastwood with the win assist for the Tigers

What a surprise Josh Reynolds tried a trip

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Can't believe we managed to not poo poo the bed in a situation where we had all the advantages.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Red_Museum posted:

What a surprise Josh Reynolds tried a trip

I'm really getting sick of this poo poo.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

I think they had no other choice but setting a deadline. It was clear that the players were going to let this fart around for the rest of time and this would gently caress over the club trying to negotiate for the other off contract good players. By forcing the issue at least we have a chance to get some decent talent (although we'll still gently caress that up).

It may also suit all the clubs interests not to bid up and over inflate player contracts.

Imagine if Teddy had say a 1.3million offer on the table, he wants to stretch it out to maximize his cash, and Easts are making nice noises because only they have the moola at the moment. So instead of being used as a bargaining chip, the Tigers say "gently caress you" and withdrawal the offer. Easts have their man, but they can then say "Oh yeah well we said 1.3 million but stuff happened here have 800K" Teddy is forced onto the deal, or heads to another club for a few K more, but essentially he's lost half a million a season. And he will be pissed and scream blue murder.

And every day from now on clubs will use the story of how teddy hosed himself out of half a million to get players to sign.

I've been in the corporate world too long.

Jono C posted:

I'm really getting sick of this poo poo.

Agreed. He really is a loving grub.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

You're very right Mini. Bonus points if us managing to win a game and playing hardball with Teddy gets him to think about what he really wants, and for the second time in his career he backflips. It's got precedent...

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

quote:

IT’S being reported the Wests Tigers have made a monster offer to Josh Reynolds in an effort to lure him away from Belmore.

Channel Seven says the Tigers have offered the Bulldogs five-eighth a contract worth $3 million over four years.

While Canterbury is trying to keep the playmaker, Channel Seven reports their offer to Reynolds is worth half as much of that from the Tigers.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...2f9e-1493025159

"What are the Bulldogs offering? . . Tell him we'll double it!"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly think Josh Reynolds would be a good signing for the Tigers

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
grubbiness aside

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
His real worth is almost exactly halfway between those two figures. All his various grubbiness aside that guy plays with heart and would become a fan favourite pretty much wherever he went.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hated by your enemies, loved by by your friends (fans) is what you want in a footy player

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That sounds like a perfectly fair offer for Reynolds given the way salaries for halves have become inflated under the new cap.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

His real worth is almost exactly halfway between those two figures. All his various grubbiness aside that guy plays with heart and would become a fan favourite pretty much wherever he went.

I would be ecstatic signing him (so long as the price isn't too crazy) for this exact reason. I am massively supportive of people playing with passion - watching Nofa celebrating his try this week (and his general play and passion all year) has really concreted in my wish for him to be at the club long term.

Whilst Reynolds is a complete grub (hell, his attempted trip on our winning try is, what, his fourth in the top level of football?) he plays 110% every game and wears his heart on his sleeve. I'd take a team of him and Nofa and lose every game with passion rather than watch a team of robotic "professionals" every week. Football is a sport of emotion and I'll be damned if professionalism robs that from me. I've supported the Tigers in one incarnation or another since I was 3 years old and whilst I scream at my idiot child self every day for liking the colour orange so much I'll keep supporting them until the day they manage to bankrupt themselves completely into oblivion (probably 2019). If the team folded I'd have a hard time watching any more football, and I hope for the players in the team to show a fraction of that same deeply destructive love for the logo on their breast.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bankruptcy is probably more likely in 2021 when the next crop of signings get off the backloaded contracts

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The Queensland team usually picks itself but with the retirement of CP13 and injuries to a few key players I think it'll be pretty interesting this year. McGuire hasn't really been inspirational at lock for us so far this year but I don't see any better options. I think Walters will be pretty loyal and pick Myles and Lillyman even though they haven't impressed in the regular season, though I think Wallace will definitely get a look in, maybe Napa as well if he shows some form coming off injury.

My pick

1. Slater
2. Holmes
3. Gagai
4. ONeill
5. Boyd
6. JT
7. Cronk
8. Wallace
9. CS9
10. Lillyman
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. McGuire

14. Oates
15. Napa
16. Papalii
17. Cooper

I like Morgan and I think he's the next Queensland 5/8 but he's not in great form and Oates gives us the size we need against NSW as well as being a utility. Napa and Papalii give us size and aggression on the bench, and Cooper comes on to run those deadly lines with JT that win games. I don't think we can afford to run a halfback utility anymore, especially since the NSW pack will be even bigger and better than ours this year.

If JT is still injured I think DCE will go alright alongside Cronk, but if it's the other way around obviously loving avoid, and you'd just throw Morgan in there instead.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

This game has been surprisingly entertaining.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Big effort from the Dragons without Widdop

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

Big effort from the Dragons without Widdop

Definitely. They did well all things considered.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

So the refs missed the knock on from Slater and Ayshford was onside. gently caress this is frustrating.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

So the refs missed the knock on from Slater and Ayshford was onside. gently caress this is frustrating.

You're like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Come on warriors. I have a smug storm fan as a friend who posts the NRL score screenshot from the app every week they win with a faux modest review of the game. Please gently caress it up for him.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Come on warriors. I have a smug storm fan as a friend who posts the NRL score screenshot from the app every week they win with a faux modest review of the game. Please gently caress it up for him.

Well we tried...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Well we tried...

Waiting for the Facebook post :gonk:

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Well we tried...

Yeah. There was some really good defence in there. We still suck at converting possession into points, and there were some terrible last tackle options tonight.

In other news, Matulino to the Tigers has been confirmed. This might be a win win for both clubs. On his day he's the best prop in the world, but after last year's tramadol drama it was probably time for him to move along.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

oh look we beat the warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Reynolds to tigers is a go, apparently

• Locked thread