Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Notes from tonight's trial:

Somebody gave me a free ticket outside the stadium - thanks, random dude.

Moses Soli looked the goods.

The Dragons lock got ten for throwing a punch, so good passion for a trial game I guess.

Idris also looked the part when he could hold the ball.

Tigers offence was 90% hit it up and bomb the fullback (or drop the ball - so many dropped balls), but that's trials. Dragons looked pretty solid though, especially in defence.

The referees were shameless of course but the Tigers seemed to get their share of the dodgy penalty calls which was nice.

The Dragons hooker got opened up somehow and came off looking like Benny Elias at SoO.

Jai Field scored a very nice try for the Dragons right on half time.

WIN Stadium looks like a cool place to watch football, at least in summer evenings.

Final score: Dragons 20-10.

Also six weeks for Croker I hear, for a dislocated kneecap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Tigers look all right against what on paper seems a much stronger Cowboys side (yeah, I know, trials and all)

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I'm conflicted - he was probably my favourite player to watch, and I've been on the Simona bandwagon since his debut, but his career probably deserves to be over after that if it's true. It's a waste of talent.

Also, thread title.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
He's a goddam idiot who had everything on a platter and threw it away, but the NRL was knocking people out of the way to get some of that sweet, sweet gambling sponsorship money. When you decide to live in the ocean, you probably can't get too upset if some people get a little wet.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

Tedesco takes such a high priority over not only the coach but the other three muppets that this was always going to be happening sooner rather than later.

I'm not entirely sure I'm happy about that. Tedesco is amazing and certainly our only genuine marquee player, but no individual player should be bigger than the club regardless of how good he is.

That said, I think sacking Taylor was the right move and probably needed to happen in the off season.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

There was weird disagreement between the refs a few times in that game. Very odd.

From the Sportsears broadcast, at least one of the refs was having comms problems and spent most of the second half complaining about the crackling. Presumably that doesn't stop them yelling at each other, though.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
In a bit of unalloyed good news for the Tigpies, though, David Nofoaluma has resigned for four years,

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Wests Tigers posted:

A Message from the CEO,

Okay, let’s great straight to the point. It is frustrating, and a disappointing outcome, to have Aaron and James’ management not communicate to the club as per the deadline on Friday. But it’s now done and now we as a club and community need to move forward.

As Members and fans, it’s important to understand that this club has afforded these players and their management every opportunity to sign with the club. As you’re all aware we have been working with their management for a number of months now to attempt to secure their future here at Wests Tigers. We identified both players as priorities to re-sign and acted accordingly, offering long-term contracts for both.

From the club’s perspective, we have purposely chosen not to comment publicly on these negotiations due to our respect for the process, we couldn’t comment publicly until we had some certainty around the playing futures of Aaron and James.

Unfortunately, as negotiations with their manager dragged on we felt we had to put a deadline in place to get some certainty, not just for us, but also the players, our Members, Corporate Partners and fans.

That led us to meeting with their manager on Tuesday and imposing a deadline for 5pm Friday to get an answer on whether our current contract offers would be accepted. Unfortunately, this deadline passed without an answer and as a result we took the current contract offers off the table.

The club was incredibly disappointed to have to take this cause of action but the club always comes first and as mentioned above we needed clarity around our playing group for 2018 and beyond.

When I spoke on Friday about the club being in an exciting position, maybe the most exciting position within its 17 year history (bar of course the glory of 2005) it was not said with any disrespect to the players departing, it was said with a view to the future. In my role, I can’t afford to dwell on the negatives, or sit idle and ponder what may have been. Members and fans expect action, not sorrow and moping around. We live and operate in a really competitive environment and I need to ensure that we gain every competitive advantage over 15 other clubs wherever possible. So yes, I have flipped the negative of losing Aaron and James into a positive as I automatically look for the next path out and up and that’s why it’s exciting.

I often hear and read “why don’t Wests Tigers acquire more players”, the simple reality is if there is no room left in the salary cap a club cannot purchase players. This club has suffered with poor contracts for sometime, these are not the fault of the players however it has meant we have been operating under salary cap pressures. Wests Tigers now head into the market with more than 200 players off contract for next season, 100% of our cap set to be playing here, and a war chest that would be the envy of our competitors is exciting for this organisation. It must also be known that the processes we have implemented over the last two year ensures this club will never be in the same challenging contract position again.

With this clarity around playing contracts we are now in a position to move forward. We can now chase the best talent in the game. We’re already aggressive in the player market and will be building a great 30 player squad for 2018 and beyond.

You will see plenty of names being linked to this club over the coming weeks and months. As always nothing is confirmed until the club announces it and I ask for your patience during this time.

We’ve already made some positive moves in this area for 2018 and beyond with the likes of Luke Brooks, David Nofoaluma and Michael Chee Kam recently committing to the club. We’ve also added Chris McQueen to our roster and look forward to having him join us for the pre-season.

This player movement is a part of the business of sport. We operate in a professional environment where players move between clubs and its up to us at Wests Tigers to make sure we’re a part of that movement and are building a club that will have sustainable long-term success.

As I’m sure you’re all aware there have been plenty of media reports that haven’t painted this club in the best light. I ask that you read between the lines, question everything you see and hear, and if needed address your concerns with the club directly. We’ve found that quite often only half a story is reported, which is disappointing, but unfortunately something we’ve become accustomed to. We are working hard to get our side of every story out there and will communicate directly with you whenever the time is right.

We’ve also copped some flak recently around our promotion of the successes within the business, primarily around our ever growing record Membership and high crowd numbers last season. The successes in the commercial side of our business, or the ‘froth and bubble’ as it’s been called by one reporter, is central to our long-term success and allows us to invest back into the Football Department to acquire experienced coaches (like Ivan Cleary) and provide the infrastructure needed to be successful on the field. Dismissing these achievements as “froth and bubbles” is naïve and shows that people external to this organisation do not understand the fundamental financial principals behind administrating professional sporting business. We’ll continue to promote all our successes, and hope that you’ll celebrate them with us.

I’d also like to address some of the speculation about Joe Wehbe’s position with the club. Earlier this year Joe was brought into the club after being recommended by a couple of players who have had personal dealings with Joe. The club worked hard to accommodate the requirements of Joe however it was Joe in the end who felt that the way he wanted to operate would conflict with the Football Department’s current operations. The club still encourages those players who have dealings with Joe to continue those relationships.

Now we must move along to today’s game. I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at ANZ Stadium for our clash with the Bulldogs. This is a huge game in the context of our season and I can assure you the team is ready to go. We have complete confidence that Ivan Cleary and his coaching staff will prepare this team to be ready to face anything the Bulldogs throw at them.

Your support provides a massive boost to the team so I call on you to be there today and be a part of what will be a great day as we commemorate the sacrifices of our servicemen and servicewomen for ANZAC Round.

Justin Pascoe
Wests Tigers CEO

Justin is, I think, not in a good mood this morning.

I'm actually OK with the thrust of this, though. In an ideal world we would have Moses, Woods and Tedesco, but we don't, and the club is bigger than any player - for the first time in possibly club history we have money, and I think after next year we're only paying for players actually on our books (and possibly an old coach or two).

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I thought Naiqama played better as fullback than I expected him to, but I was surprised they didn't move Nofoaluma there.

The Tigers have looked more positive in the past few weeks than I can remember them looking in ages -if nothing else Cleary seems to have brought that.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Field report - it looks like a tiny crowd (maybe 6000 at this point?) at a damp Campbelltown, and I'd be surprised if Roosters supporters aren't slightly in the majority.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Game going as expected.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Why can't Woods do that for the Tigers?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

Pretty happy to be seeing the back of Woods.

I'm really looking forward to booing him next year.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
After the (mostly) successful return of Pat Richards a few seasons ago, Brett Hodgson has returned to the Wests Tigers as assistant coach, to remind us that the Tigers can win not only games but premierships (under the right circumstances).

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
All the Dragons had to do was beat the worst team in the comp. That's all I asked.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I feel better about the Knights winning yesterday now.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

Hahaha parramatta failing is always a joy

It's a shame it'll give the Tigers the spoon, though, since I kinda feel the Bulldogs deserve it.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
It's the first time in years the Tigers haven't had a spare coach to loan them, too.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
No better place to be on a Sunday, especially when you're not officially the worst team in the comp.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
That was 100% Tigers right there.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Or win, since an all Queensland grand final looks like the best possible (and least likely) outcome at this point.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Do we even pretend there's a salary cap any more?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Jono C posted:

So your team loaded with representative players doesn't have a spare million dollars to spend under the cap at this time of year?

My team has like 10 internationals, thank you very much.

Admittedly they represent countries like Estonia, but they're still internationals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Befoer we get the new thread, does anyone have the back story on Moses Suli?

Wests Tigers posted:

CEO Justin Pascoe said it was a difficult decision but is satisfied it is the right one for the club.
“Moses is an exceptionally talented player. That’s why over the last 12 months our coaching and personal development staff have dedicated so much time and energy in supporting Moses with his challenges, both on and off the field.”
Wests Tigers has been working closely with Moses’ manager Mario Tartak to reach today’s resolution.
Mr Tartak said, “While it’s always disappointing to see player part ways with a club, the Wests Tigers have been completely transparent, professional and empathetic throughout this process.”
Mr Pascoe said the decision was not made lightly and is about putting the club first.
“We are working really hard both on and off the field to build something special here at Wests Tigers. That includes building a culture and set of standards that cannot be compromised.
Mr Pascoe said that while this has been a challenging period for the 19-year-old, his on field contribution will always be valued at the club and Wests Tigers wishes him the best of luck in the future.
“I am sure If he’s willing to take responsibility, be a team player and commit to the demands of being a professional athlete he has the potential to have a successful career in rugby league.”

That makes it sound like he's been a bit of a naughty boy?

• Locked thread