Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like Bowser's explanation for Bash and Cash. "Let's play a game where your friends beat you up and rob you! Then you'll know what it's like to be me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are the bonus stars for the first Mario Party fixed? Like, always for minigames, coins, and ? spaces?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord the amount of Bowser spite on this board is ridiculous. I suppose it's all going to come down to coin stars, in the end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This just kind of reminds me how amazing Kart 64's Rainbow Road was, and how much chintzier it was in just Mario 64. I guess it's what the engine could take.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, gonna be a lot of star stealing going on.

I like how interactive all these boards are, even in the first installment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this seems... exactly like the Mario level, except also with an escalating coin toll?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm in favor of making one big video out of minigames. Regular boards have a natural stopping point for discussion and blind speculation. I dunno that mini-games will have enough to talk about to keep the thread interested -- I think that's what you'd have to make the call on.

Also because there is no goddamn good reason for anyone to go hungry in the year of our Lord 2017, the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act of 1996 removes any liability for harm caused by good-faith donations and remains on the books.

At least until somebody decides to repeal it because the poors should suffer it's not cost-effective.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 5, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. This level is like, ten coinflips in a row and they all have to land for you to get the star. That's just cruel.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what a finish. Is it possible to get two stars on the same turn or do they always spawn that far apart?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, now that I've seen some of the bullshit out on the stage boards, I wonder if MiniGame Stadium wasn't a bit of a mistake. Just because it's, like, 75% of what you play Mario Party for with like none of the frustration factor.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, looks like the last map all over again. No stars, giant stockpiles of coins.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what's the next thing you're looking forward to, in terms of the grand sweep of Mario Party?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If they'd turn up the minigame rewards on this stage that might be kind of neat, actually. You're getting money all the time but it's slowly draining away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does seem kind of sucky that the only thing Mario Party 1 thinks is good progression is "more and denser randomness".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Would I put it past an N64 AI to deliberately create resentment between the human players with Chance Time?

...yeah, I probably would.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Toad just stands there narrating as Bowser spits fire on him. Little dude's irrepressible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please avoid Dokapon Kingdom at all costs. If you've ever despaired at Mario Party (and I caught some there), Dokapon Kingdom might cause you to hate the very idea of video games.

I'm amazed Yoshi couldn't manage a single star. I suppose they expect you to buy some of those power items?

And I think the CPU might be sandbagging when they can't really improve their position in order to not contribute as much to the goal, since stars are a 30-coin jump.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord Wario's got some mad cash in the bank.

I have to wonder if they retuned their hard computer to actually be hard for a grown-rear end adult in these games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope the next game goes better for you, really. Maybe turn minigame explanations back on so you're not flailing around for the rules while the CPU sprints ahead?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's some pretty good variety if you just wanna play a few mini-games. But it seems the worlds actually have a little more meat to them this time? Even if that meat is kind of rancid.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You can't get the snifit police to shoot down that station and get your coins back? Wow, that's painful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In the end there's really only so much you can expect from roll-and-move, I suppose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Bowser is a true hero of the revolution, helping the downtrodden in their time of need. Who'd have thought?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, Bob-ombs are originally from the belatedly renamed Super Mario USA. They make the most sense as aliens.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord. Slot cars this early? It's like the game hates you, personally.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I busted out laughing the second goddamn time Mario found a secret star.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that was a virtuoso performance on Peach's part. She just could not do anything wrong.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 31, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the opposite bank they've got going here, actually. Everybody gets 5 coins, except the person who lands there has to pay it all back.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, here I figured you'd just finally use a star to go invincible and knock him into orbit that way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That one fuckin' Battle Minigame swung the whole thing in a terrible collapse of random chance.

So, good to see Mario Party hasn't changed!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that you're enjoying the duel map.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Despite being heavily based in random fuckery, Mario Party 3 can still serve up some hubris now and then.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the little sparkles Tumble gets in his eyes when he gets excited. He's just been a regular ol' board game die but the Millennium Star made him a real boy!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the happening spaces that give you a choice in where to move. That's a good innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate the idea of a solo campaign mode thingy, but it does feel like the entire RNG is arrayed against you, instead of switch-hitting you and your buddy on the couch within thumpin' range.

• Locked thread