Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Callie is right, I totally would have vomitted...if the lunch I was eating while watching this wasn't so delicious.

This is officially the gooniest I have ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Re: can't find things even with directions. Remember that you're in this store day in, day out, for weeks or months or years. While the specifics may not be familiar, the layout definitely is. When someone goes to the grocery store it's probably the first time they've been there in weeks, or perhaps ever. It's foreign ground to them. (To say nothing of the automatic bias that you don't see/remember the people who don't have problems because they simply go about their business and don't bother you.)

I go to Menard's for house/car/whatever tools once in a blue moon. I try to look around for myself, but if someone sees me looking lost and comes up to ask me if I need help, sometimes even with their precise directions I feel like I'm going the wrong way for most of it and then still end up searching for five minutes in the area I was directed to. It's not because I'm dumb, or blind, but because I have to look at everything in the area to try to find what I'm looking for, because not only do I not know where what I'm looking for is, I also can't know what all the other stuff around it is to disregard it until I look. Because I don't really know the store. At all. Now for myself, I see it as a matter of persistence and care, but for others, who may be distracted that day, or in a hurry, or whatever else, they can subconsciously choose to disregard things before even looking at them after a certain period of time based on previous failure to find a thing, and end up walking straight past what they were looking for while in that mindset. It's a very human mistake.

This basically leads me to two points:
1. If you'll pardon the pontificating, the most important lesson of humanity is that nobody else is you. Putting yourself in other people's shoes isn't just a good idea, it's basically mandatory to understand all the random interactions everyone has on a daily basis. Most of those stories were probably unusually bad days for those people too.
2. I've found that the best way to ask for help is while looking embarrassed. Now that just comes naturally to me because I don't like needing to ask for help from strangers, but I've found that people are a lot more willing to help you if you look like you really need it, rather than simply want it (or loudly demand it).

EDIT: This being said, there are definitely exceptions. People arrogant enough to think that the world exists simply to service them do exist. The lady who missed the carts on the way in may have been one such, or she may have had cataracts and couldn't see for poo poo, or she may have been thinking about something else while walking into the store and by the time she looked around for carts she was well past them. One can never know.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 29, 2017

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

How is there even a Mario Party 3? I mean, I'm glad that they continued and fixed problems, but drat does this look like a series killer.

• Locked thread