Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I pretty much agree with all that. I didn't think Canelo won, but I can see it. It sucks though, and a sad end to my favourite career in boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I, for one, am glad that boxing isn't corrupt anymore.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJVZQrhmJc

playing this at my one man drunk eulogy for Golovkin's career.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel kind of weird rooting against Canelo because I actually really like his head movement and versatile combinations. It really was a good fight, the last round in particular deserves another viewing.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I pretty much agree with all that. I didn't think Canelo won, but I can see it. It sucks though, and a sad end to my favourite career in boxing.

Roy Jones Jr was my favourite fighter growing up. Watching him get KOed by Tarver was brutal.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Roy Jones Jr was my favourite fighter growing up. Watching him get KOed by Tarver was brutal.

I almost cried. I was 22 and basically the late 90s/early 00s were RJJ.

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 17, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tesilential posted:

Ggg threw like zero body shots....again

What was he/his team seeing that I wasn't? Sure Canelo had a lot of counters loaded up, but nothing that seemed so surefire that GGG shouldn't even attempt body shots.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

It was one thing to get caught with one punch but could anyone have imagined he would've fought on for so long after Glen Johnson did this to him?

kimbo305 posted:

What was he/his team seeing that I wasn't? Sure Canelo had a lot of counters loaded up, but nothing that seemed so surefire that GGG shouldn't even attempt body shots.

He was really wary of the overhand right in both fights. Rightfully so but I think most would agree that he went too far in the other direction.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

It’s the main reason I’ve been giving Canelo’s power more respect —GGG sure did.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Anyone else hyped for Joshua Povetkin? I'm based in Asia do will have to wake up at 4am to watch it. Joshua of course is the overwhelming favourite but I'm wondering if he will be able to hurt someone as solid as Povetkin.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

povetkin's a pretty live underdog tbh. he's a much better boxer p4p than joshua and i get the sense that joshua's overlooking him a bit.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

povetkin got rocked by david price in his last fight

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

price is a heavy hitter with good fundamentals tbf. he just has no chin

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
loving BJS man

https://twitter.com/DiscoDean7/status/1041657134780493825?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jesus Christ, gently caress that guy.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

It was one thing to get caught with one punch but could anyone have imagined he would've fought on for so long after Glen Johnson did this to him?

He was never the same after dropping back down from heavyweight. There’s a terrible track record of guys in their 30s going down in weight; Chris Byrd, Eddie Chambers, and Oscar de la Hoya are recent examples of guys dropping down a weight class or two late in their careers and getting dominated. He should have stayed at heavyweight and beaten up washed up versions of Holyfield and Tyson. Oh well.

As for the Joshua Povetkin fight, I don’t see it as very compelling at all. Povetkin has a punchers chance, but he’s little and almost 40, and he should have lost to Marco Huck and was recently dropped and hurt by journeyman David Price. He also couldn’t do anything against Wlad Klitschko. Povetkin has no roadmap to victory besides landing a lucky punch and stopping Joshua.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The last time Povetkin beat up a big guy was when he stopped Wach, and that was when he was juiced to the gills. I think AJ is clearly much better than Wach and I think Povetkin in his current form is not even as good as he was when he got thrashed by Wlad.

People want to rate Povetkin because he clearly has the talent and pedigree to have had a good career and he's spent the past decade in the top 10, but he's not actually done anything to really earn the distinction as a credible threat. His best win is like, what? 2014 Takam? 2011 Chagaev? He seems like he should be better than that, but he's frankly squandered all of the ability he had and will be going into the fight with AJ as a smaller, nearly 40 year old man. A dude that Price sent flying literally across the ring. Now you can easily say that Price is a big puncher and that's true, but it's not like AJ is pillowfisted. AJ also has some pretty effective defence and a good chin, which not even be necessary given his natural reach advantage and solid jab. This is boxing, so anything could happen, but I don't think Povetkin should be a serious risk to Joshua here.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wach was a complete tomato can and Price is a journeyman.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
But Povetkin is pretty solid right? Joshua isn't going to just come out and knock his head off in the first few rounds surely? I was getting bored of his fights being like that and I'm glad they haven't been for a while now.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Quizzlefish posted:

But Povetkin is pretty solid right? Joshua isn't going to just come out and knock his head off in the first few rounds surely? I was getting bored of his fights being like that and I'm glad they haven't been for a while now.

Yes, he’s been the most solid heavyweight not named Klitschko, Joshua, Wilder, or I guess Fury of the last 15 years. He had a very decorated amateur career that ended with an Olympic gold medal (amongst other gold medals in other major tournaments), and he’s basically beaten every non-elite top 10 heavyweight out there over the last decade. He’s consistently been ranked in the top 5 or better during that time. He’s legit. It’s very unlikely that he’s stopped early here.

But he’s small and physically limited, and old at this point. He doesn’t really have the attributes to give Joshua much of a challenge at this point, but he’s good enough to make it a very boring fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hadn't heard anything about Wilder-Fury lately so I was beginning to get worried but it looks like it might be coming good on December 1 in LA instead of Vegas and the undercard could be crazy good

https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/1042843848538435585?s=20

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Hadn't heard anything about Wilder-Fury lately so I was beginning to get worried but it looks like it might be coming good on December 1 in LA instead of Vegas and the undercard could be crazy good

holy poo poo

I mean, I guess if anybody could get Leo and Gary to fight as a loving undercard bout it would be the heavyweights.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll definitely go see that fight if it's in LA. Seems like a strange venue though, it's not like Wilder is some huge west coast name and I'd think they would do better business in Vegas. But as a CA resident I'm not complaining.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'll definitely go see that fight if it's in LA. Seems like a strange venue though, it's not like Wilder is some huge west coast name and I'd think they would do better business in Vegas. But as a CA resident I'm not complaining.

There are scheduling conflicts on that day Michelle Obama has a speaking appointment at Barclays Center and there's a Justin Timberlake concert at T-Mobile.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The SituAsian posted:

This could be $100 and I'd still happily buy it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well they've allegedly locked down the Davis-Mares fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
How has povetkin been around for as long as he has been and only fought wlad? Who are those people on his resume?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

How has povetkin been around for as long as he has been and only fought wlad? Who are those people on his resume?

Because he's a protected fighter and not actually that good.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

He's one shotted a lot of durable guys who have been at the fringes of the top 10 at various points like Carlos Takam, Mike Perez, Marius Wach and Johnann Duhapas but all those fights happened in Russia when he was most certainly more walking chemistry experiment than boxer. He was supposed to fight Wilder in May of 2016 but the fight fell through due to the drug testing. The only fight we have since losing to Wlad where he was ostensibly 'clean' is when he got badly rocked by David Price. He's obviously got the pedigree as a former gold medalist and amateur champ but that was 14 and 15 years ago. I figure Joshua will come out cautious, figure out there's nothing to really be afraid of and take him out in 6 or 7.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

my nerves can’t take david price fights

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

thehappyprince posted:

my nerves can’t take david price fights

neither can david price

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Put a(nother) fork in David Price.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I am in Da Zone for some AJ-Povetkin :hellyeah:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For some reason the crowd isn't too into two boxers rubbing against each other instead of punching.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Has Sugar Ray Leonard been lobotomized? He doesn’t sound like he even knows what’s going on.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Has Sugar Ray Leonard been lobotomized? He doesn’t sound like he even knows what’s going on.

He's always been absolute death on the mic

Obligatory

https://twitter.com/SugarRayLeonard/status/396780019118112769

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I am going to be very upset if AJ loses tonight and we don't see a unified champ named Wilder for even longer.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Why is that gimp Bellew always in the ring

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Frankston posted:

Why is that gimp Bellew always in the ring

u wot m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Getting pumped for AJ's 30-minute ring entrance