Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What causes that relative inaction from Golovkin? Was it something visible in the fight, like Jacob's lateral movement and stance switching keeping Golovkin from getting his feet set/finding his rhythm, or something more internal like a possible Golovkin injury or the timing/reflexes not being there? I'm assuming it's a thousand little things that have to be there for the punches to not be forced and since Jacob's is a well regarded boxer/puncher it was harder for Golovkin to have a high punch out.

I guess I'm just noticing that sometimes the skillful activity you're watching in the ring is actually most evidenced by what the opponent isn't doing. Golovkin wasn't as busy in that fight as I thought he would be, but I'm thinking that's Jacob's achievement rather than Golovkin's failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
At least around here it feels like mma is no longer a unifying blue collar passion, so there's just more room for me to quietly enjoy boxing without having to hear poo poo from someone in a rapture shirt. Rupture? Anyway I feel like boxing is enjoying a comfortable niche instead of always being compared to another combat sport.

Edit: affliction shirt

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How disappointed do I get to be of the anti climax that is ward refusing a mandatory challenger and getting stripped of his title? I was too young when my hero big George did that so this is my chance.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 24, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I always struggle to appreciate the inclusion of John L Sullivan; without video it's just so hard to judge his skill. I consider Jack Johnson right at the very first era of who could be counted, and that's also leveraging his ranking in the top 3 of all time (and honestly I think Johnson should probably be above Louis; after all it's not like they put in Gentle Jim Corbett or whatever (Ok so they have Jim Jefferies).

Funniest thing about this list is how small older heavy weights are; as the weight class with no ceiling it's the one that just goes up and up, like how we have to keep changing what an IQ of 100 is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/12/wladimir-klitschko-mount-everest-boxing-anthony-joshua

Nice interview, and I have to say I like the metaphor regardless of its appropriateness.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That down: mostly being off balance?

edit: wow, hard KO, right through the ropes.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 23, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neither of them look great now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

big money big clit posted:

It worked for guys who lost and then much more clearly lost rematches?

Ali is vulnerable to a good jab. He clowns liston, loses respectably to norton, and is clowned by Holmes. A problematic style is one thing, but old age is another. Honestly I'll miss Mayweather when he's gone. Well, more gone.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm sure I'll look stupid for saying this two days from now but I do think Joshua has stepped up too big too early against Klitschko. Even at 41 Wlad would probably beat out 95% of heavyweights without problems.

And surely, surely, fighting as a contender rather than the reigning champ will light a fire that reforges the steel hammer?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Got off work, hurried home, I'm hyped to see the main event. I wanna be excited by heavy weights again, either from a young again Wlad or something like a real start to a new Era. Symbolism I know but it's a narrative I'm sold on.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't want to see a decision in the arena that made eternal flames from one guy's initials.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
poo poo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Premature?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The heavy weight division is back baby. Who does Joshua fight next, Ortiz?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Everyone's right about the stoppage, I can see that now that I've stopped literally screaming. Great fight. Great fight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think Wlad was quite good, not a shot a fighter by any stretch, and that makes Joshua's win more legitimate. As someone who always had a soft spot for the older fighter Dr steelhammer wasn't a joke in there, this end of an Era didn't feel like a farce.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So how does Anthony Joshua compare to the other two heavyweight champions, Joseph Parker and Deontay Wilder? I want to know more about these fighters so that I can get pissed when they never unify their belts anticipate more great heavy weight matches and an eventual unified champ that saves the dead sport that is dead.

Joseph Parker https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianm...n/#48f487647e19

Looks like he took his belt from a fatty that shouldn't even be in his division, and still had to get a decision to do it? Maybe that's not fair, let's watch the fight and find out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9vhTmUq48Y Or actually gently caress that, we all know Wlad / Joshua was the last great heavyweight fight since the dinosaurs of Lewis and Hollyfield stopped roaming the earth, so let's just watch highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YZdzxhfjVc That looks more like one guy being poo poo than the other being great, like I'd googled up a low-light reel for Ruiz.

Deontay Wilder looks like he might be the hardest hitter in a division that doesn't lack for choices? In particular it seems like he has, rather that just very "heavy" hands, real "one punch" KO power? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqt6tW2a2Kc But like Tyson this highlight looks like a big old string of nobodies getting wrecked.

So would the guys who follow this sport much better than I do throw me a bone? How does Joshua stack up to the other champs? And how much hope is there for unification bouts, or perhaps in an easier to answer question, which unification bout is most likely?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

https://gfycat.com/UniformLastAlleycat

Man, I could watch that right hand all day.

My two bit lee Wylie imitation paperboy hat is that there's a context to that right hand, with Wlad bouncing up on his feet and playing with distance and Anthony just kinda standing there. So it's not just a great punch because Wlad decided to throw it, he decided to throw it because the time was right. Anthony doesn't really react as the punch comes in, he raises his hand a bit butwho would expect that to stop a power shot from Dr. Steelhammer? He should have slipped or moved or something, but he didn't really see it coming and got nailed. And I'd say Wlad didn't show more of them because he didn't feel the timing or see the opportunity? So Wlad didn't throw more good punches because he wasn't winning the fight? I dunno, maybe that's a stupid tautology? If someone else has a better answer please tell me because I also would have liked to see Wlad be busier, but I have this feeling that's kind of wanting Wlad to just do better in general and only seeing the topmost layer of all the timing, distance, range, pacing, etc.

Edit - I can't figure out how to post the image on the new page, sorry guys.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 1, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
http://www.thefightcity.com/wladimir-klitschko-anthony-joshua-world-needs-boxing-rematch/

Good article, but regarding the stoppage I think it was consistent with modern boxing. Wlad on the ropes and turned away a bit. I can see the romance in a Wlad rally in 11/12 tho

Article also does better than me at context for the Wlad right hand, an eager to finish joshua that doesn't have the foot work or the experience to end the better moving Wlad. Once punched out, Joshua gets hurt, gets hesitant, and stands still when that left feint right comes in.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 1, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wanna make sure everyone realizes you can change the play back speed on you tube. Watch your favorite fight on the slowest setting, see every feint and footstep, then put the speed back up and lose your drat mind over truly great fighters.

I watched foreman stalk norton like that and it felt physically and mentally oppressive.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A side issue is that you won't see as many usa heavy weight Champs because big boys go play football and basketball in numbers incomparable to boxing. I bet you could make many, many heavyweight divisions, from club fighter to champs, out everyone who tries to get into a single prominent college team.

It's like every great fighter recently has an old boxer raising him because it's not like kids grow up with a media or pop culture presence that makes them want to be boxers. And this doesn't even get into the ufc .

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 1, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I keep thinking about that very early mma fighter with control issues who you can watch on YouTube round house kicking some boxing champ in the early 90s. I forget the details but someone not on a phone could find it.

Edit it's Patrick smith I think, but where is the video

Edit 2 damnit I don't know who it was, this is driving me nuts. Anyway I predict a standing guillotine in round two.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 18, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

https://youtu.be/2DmbOL4oyWQ

Bowe vs Elijah tillery, got it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 18, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah oddly It wasn't the after the bell fighting or even the getting helped into the ring, it was the kicks. There's a rematch that ends more conclusively.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Loved that bowe Golata vid, and I've always liked George foreman in "Beyond the Glory"

https://youtu.be/VySbGfCz5TM

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Marching Powder posted:

Apparently Mike is saying some interesting things about Cus in his new book. Some things about being a master manipulator who shaped him into an arrogant psychopath etc.

Teddy Atlas didn't paint a flattering picture of Cus in his autobiography. But it's hard to say how much of that was D'amato being real, real old and casting aside his principles trying to achieve glory one last time. Not that 'Cus was a great guy before the specter of death loomed' really helps if Tyson is raised by post-death-specter D'amato.

Edit - I now specifically recall that D'amato convinced a judge to release Tyson into his care in a dramatic courtroom speech that, Teddy says, had the judge in tears.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 2, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
2nd HBO boxing podcast on Ward vs Kovalev 2 is up, they plan on doing one every week day before the fight.

I'm getting pretty excited, on one hand Kovalev may have overtrained and so "only" needs to be in a better place physically for the rematch, otoh Ward got better as he figured Kovlev out and that may only progress further in the rematch.

The HBO podcast does suggest that a factor of both matches is going to be the disparity of the trainers - Andrew having a father-son relationship with Virgil Hunter and Kovlev's trainer...not being viewed as positively in both the actual match and aftewards.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's an excellent point, and I wonder if he's being coached to go HAM or of they're going to try to pace him. Who is training him anyway?

Please tell me it's Freddie Roach.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not gonna lie, as old as he is I wanna hear Bruce Buffer say "undefeated, undisputed Xweightchampion of the wooorld" one more time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I meant Michael and now you've helped me hurt my own feelings.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ah well, as long as he can stay retired, I'll be happy. :unsmith:

I'm assuming this man with a doctorate or whatever managed his money ok?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmn, evander holyfield at ten? Or Sunny Liston? Might as well just make 9 both brothers, they won't mind.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just as a thought, what would everyone think of weight classes letting you get a little heavier as you age?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For reasons outside of boxing?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Last night I dreamed both Canelo and Golovkin bought adjacent Hollywood Hills mansions and Canelo exploited a zoning technicality to build a huge driveway through Golovkin's yard. I need to email Teddy Atlas and find out what it means.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He's using mistaken guilt to fuel a masochistic career in heaven now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sucks, especially since they called the fire suspicious.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

So the guy that was touted as the next big hope in Danish boxing, the next Kessler got his rear end handed to him by John Ryder this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzo3ffh_5M

Of course, as happens with so many of these guys (particularly in danish boxing) they get all hyped up and also buy into their own hype.

So that was the very end of round 2? He looked tired, with a pawing jab. Was he out of shape, or tense, or something else? Was his nose bleeding before the last hit?

Is John Ryder a journeyman gatekeeper or something below that?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The fight will be 4:00 PM saturday, Central Time (CT)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think the last guy he hit in the stomach finally got off the mat this morning.