Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Just checking in to say HOLY poo poo, potential KO of the year on CBS broadcast by Lubin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Hoo boy this is going to be hell to judge if it stays like this. Thurman more active, but Garcia really has a good measure of his body shots (low ones aside).

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

That was surprisingly anticlimactic, had Thurman 8-4 or 7-5

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

aaaaaand that was a great job by Jimmy to keep the suspense going

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

*Sigh* Guess I'm gonna be the one to say that I doubt Crawford stays at 140 long enough for that fight to happen.

I'll go cry myself to sleep now.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Porter is so graceless.
I mean that as a compliment; he just loves to bully a fight when he can and he doesn't care how it looks.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm gonna say something horrible and you're going to hate it. I feel like Porter has the style to trouble Mayweather.

I don't think he's like, good enough to actually do anything to Mayweather, but he could certainly make him work hard.

There's nothing controversial about that statement. If Porter were to keep Mayweather on the ropes for 2:30 of every round landing on elbows/arms, occasional bodyshot and headbutts while Mayweather gets 1 good clean punch and random circling before being pushed back to the ropes, that's a decision right there. It worked for Castillo, it worked for Maidana, and it certainly could work for Porter on a post-40 retired Mayweather.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

That was another fight that lived up to the hype.

Kovalev-Ward

Thurman-Garcia

GGG-AlvarezJacobs

I'm loving the relatively recent high class bouts

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Glad I missed this one, I'll catch he replay I guess.
Canelo thinkin he can box because he outboxed JCC Jr makes me want to realllly favor GGG

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So...does Pascal EVER throw a straight punch? I mean, he's decently fast, but he loops everything and it really seems to cut down on his effectiveness against anybody with a jab.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

That was expectedly underwhelming. Fonfara needs to retire.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The SituAsian posted:

I'm inclined to say this sticks like Bradley. Both have done great jobs getting paydays and, near as has been reported, both take care of themselves very well. As unsatisfying as the 2nd Kovalev win was there was no doubt that Kovalev was on the way out anyways and-while I think he always would have won-the thought of Adonis Stevenson catching him with something crazy would kill me inside so :tipshat: Bon Voyage Mr. Ward.

So...has anybody mentioned that Kovalev's own trainer thought Ward would take him to school with body shots because Kovalev was getting too egocentric? I know the ending was bad, but it didn't seem out of nowhere.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The SituAsian posted:

Linares-Campbell turning out nice after it looked like Luke was going to get worked.

Also Danny Jacobs signed a deal with Eddie Hearn-unknown if he's left Haymon-and has multi-fight deal with HBO

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760311

EDIT: Linares wins a split, which I agree with. Apparently one of the judges gave a 10-10 round since the card that went for Campbell was 115-113 and he was knocked down.

The combination of Campbell getting shocked by the step-up in competition and Linares' trait of fading after frontrunning made this a much better fight than I anticipated.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

That's a horrible stoppage. I had a feeling it would happen since the ref was getting that cut checked too frequently.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

*runs in on thread*

Wilder is a good heavyweight. He must fight Joshua who is also a good heavyweight.

*runs out of thread*

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Haha the boos at the end.

Boooey Joe Saunders

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

SSR has no right to be winning fights like he does, walking around with no consideration for punches thrown, never jabbing, landing shots that apparently hit your life points directly. It's ridiculous that you have him against boxing wizards like Gonzalez and Estrada and he's still somehow winning.

I thought the decision was fair, 117 is wide, but 116 would have been fine imo.
He reminds me of Antonio Magarito (NO NOT CHEATING) in that regard, I think his opponents are underrating his endurance despite being hittable. But if he loses an ounce of resillience, he's going to have a hard fall from grace.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Main difference right now is that this looks to go 12 and we're unlikely to get a quitting result, but Loma doesn't look to be in much danger.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

SPOKE TOO SOON

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

:wtf: HOW DI THST HAPPEN DGFDJKBFLDF

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Lid posted:

Horn missed weight

...the first time. He got a reprieve and made it an hour later.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

What on Earth is ESPN+ and why would I pay for something that should be on their main networks anyway? They can't possibly be making much with this, right?
I know some people that are looking to cord cut, but this won't lure them to pay for streaming ESPN :wtf:

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Charlo easily decisions Trout...somehow one judge had it a draw for a majority decision. The crowd is booing so loud, and its emotionally bothering Charlo. Trout says he's not done, but not sure that's accurate.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Marching Powder posted:

Was it competitive at all?

Every source I've seen so far indicates that no, it was not competitive.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

second to who?

Spence :colbert: I think that's a legendary fight if it can be had.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ This is true and it makes me sad.

balancedbias fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 10, 2018

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Holy poo poo, Mares-Santa Cruz was awesome again!

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

:colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

kimbo305 posted:

So many of the great Cuban boxers were amateur only. I'd say their style was very tailored towards that, but in a really balletic way. Really good balance, good movement, good ability to read the opponent. Using technique to do damage -- landing right at the very end of a punch to maximize reach. Able to draw out their opponents without using a lot of energy to bait.

The heavyweights, which are still pretty light, have some of the most eye-poppingly good technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAbGvmIWxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFvQUyA470

:wtf: I didn't expect commentary about Savon "He's not very fluid" uhh...yeah he wouldn't win a gymnastics floor routine but I watched some of the Olympic fights as a kid, he had nice footwork. Politics robbed the world of some awesome heavyweight pro fights over the years.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

There were rumblings that Keith Thurman was going to fight in August, obviously that didn't happen. It's been a year and a half and he doesn't have anything even close to scheduled, and it doesn't look like he's going to fight this year. He seems done to me.

Random comments from my dad today, "I guess Keith Thurman is retired now huh. Too many good fighters and a baked in injury excuse after a strong run. Good for him."

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Watching the GGG-Canelo rematch replay...you guys are awesome, but really it was a close fight. Golovkin had some dominant late rounds, but it's not like they were 10-8. The stylistic mixup causes too much dissonance. Why is GGG the persistent jabber? Why is Alvarez the forward fighter? Since when does the fighter landing more body punches get gassed late? The only obvious missed call was ANYONE that gave round 12 to Canelo. That's the one bullshit point I have. Overall 7-5 GGG but nah, I can't say it's a robbery. The ebb and flow reminded me of Hopkins-Taylor and Holmes-Spinks. There is no consensus on scoring.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Hello

*straight left hand*

I'm Loma

*straight left hand*

Pleasure to meet you

*straight left hand*

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

JESUS loving CHRIST LOMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

My main takeaway from both Charlo fights:

For the love that all is holy, learn to throw a body shot.