Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Getting in on the ground floor for this.

One interesting feature: parries work in the Dark Souls style, except when you have a pistol. Then they work in the Bloodborne style--shooting an enemy while attacking stuns them. Except...Bloodborne wasn't out yet when this game was being made.

Funny how they had the same idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

betamax hipster posted:

Bloodborne was released like a year before Salt and Sanctuary shipped. It's probably not a case of convergent evolution.

I checked and you're right. Hm. Well, maybe they ripped off a really good idea then. Hard to say.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I played Dishwasher and Vampire Smile but not Charlie Murder.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most of the weapons have somewhat different movesets. Unlike Dark Souls many of them have quicker, more intricate combos. Air juggling is a big thing in Salt & Sanctuary too. So combat isn't nearly as ponderous as you'd expect from a Soulslike.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't mind the lore of this game. Parts of it are even inspired. But like Dark Souls itself, you can get through the whole thing without knowing or caring what you're doing.

Speaking of, apparently it's the Village of Smiles because the queen went mad and was fond of cutting people's throats and mouths open when murdering them. So they retaliated by giving her the biggest smile of all. Gristly.

The traps in this game WILL kill you in one hit unless you're prepared. The swinging log traps, anyway. You can usually survive the little crossbow ones.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, Genocyber, have you played the first DLC for Resident Evil 7 yet? It's pretty good. Little different than the previous Mercenaries mode.

There's "Nightmare" where you run around in the basement and can only make items and weapons from scrap-collecting machines, there's a puzzle Escape Room, and "Ethan Must Die," where you die in almost one hit to anything but get randomized loot strewn about the mansion.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I went with the poison guys as my covenant once. The poison...wasn't great against a lot of enemies. They also specialize in a lot of dexterity weapons, though, at least.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of like how all the merchants of every covenant have different dialogue, even the generic "what are you buying" dialogue. The poison merchant said "Let's get you outfitted, killer."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dang, you turned the Tree of Men into a corpse faster than I thought possible.

I love the concept of the Tree of Men. And its name. It's a torture machine come to life with the power of hate!

The Scarecrow thing still has some pretty intimidating dialogue.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The poison guys are probably the best covenant in my experience, actually, for anything that is capable of taking damage from poison, especially any boss capable of that, there's just a particular reason why.

Poison damage stacks. The more poisoned you, or an enemy gets, the faster you lose health. This isn't super obvious but if you eat lots of attacks from cytoplasms you can see it.

You might think this is useless, however (spoilered because it might ruin the game for you) one thing you can gain access to with the woodswraiths is free poison throwing knives

Which means you can fight any boss with, say, 75 poison knives to throw at them which basically takes out about two thirds of their health for free.

Enemies may be resistant to poison, but they are not really balanced for you having that much poison.

Tried this and I can confirm: I threw a whole bunch of poison knives at an iron giant and took that sucker down without much trouble. The problem wasn't the poison, I just wasn't poisoning ENOUGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love how there's one extra-evil Creed for tarnishing other sanctuaries. Extra power, at the price of having to do all sorts of hard stuff.

• Locked thread