Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Before I sent the Touch to my mom,

i send the Touch to your mom every day. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it pisses me off so bad that libraries essentially solved their mandate via ebooks and publishers were all LOL NOPE THOSE EBOOKS WEAR OUT NOW JUST LIKE REAL BOOKS PAY US

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

No, you don't.

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it pisses me off so bad that libraries essentially solved their mandate via ebooks and publishers were all LOL NOPE THOSE EBOOKS WEAR OUT NOW JUST LIKE REAL BOOKS PAY US

This is why I pirate every fuckin book I can

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

it's like the easiest thing in the world too

lol at thinkin they could possibly DRM fuckin text lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

same. plus you need like zero infrastructure to set up a repository of 500kb MOBI files. throw up a VPS with a stolen credit card and welp, you can now host the entire library of congress

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

my tv is an old Panasonic plasma and its too stupid to have ads

same. it's really good even tho it is that weird 1024x768 rectangular pixel panel.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Citizen Tayne posted:

Before I sent the Touch to my mom, I checked with my brother who still lives near her to see if he could replace the battery and he said it's about fifteen minutes and $18. Flawless.

oh poo poo that's all? my old 2010 3g kindle keyboard needs to be charged about once a week now and it seems like half the time i actually have time to read a thing on it, the battery is dead. gonna have to do this.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Citizen Tayne posted:

no joke, my wife sends me an email when she gets new books on overdrive.

I log into amazon, "download to transfer over USB" import them into calibre, then I hook her kindle up and put the books on and she "returns them to the library"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

Before I sent the Touch to my mom, I checked with my brother who still lives near her to see if he could replace the battery and he said it's about fifteen minutes and $18. Flawless.

this was my plan until i found that $5 touch in the store, now i want to case swap the keyboard to white because those are less common

Elder Postsman posted:

oh poo poo that's all? my old 2010 3g kindle keyboard needs to be charged about once a week now and it seems like half the time i actually have time to read a thing on it, the battery is dead. gonna have to do this.

for a while i ran mine with the wifi off and it did much better, but now its down to a few weeks maybe. its worth it if only because its such a workhorse. theyre also the last model with good 3g internet and tts support without some dongle and a speaker

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

yeah it's seriously one of the best tech purchases i've ever made.

Apr 7, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah it's seriously one of the best tech purchases i've ever made.

It really is the platonic ideal of a good tech product, and a silent revolution in electronics. More people need to use Kindles and expect the same out of their other technology.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
the thing about kindles is this. . . no matter if you get a "special offers" one or not.

you don't see a lot of folks out there going stupid to jailbreak the loving kindle to get rid of ads.

is a good product, it works, has a long battery life, you can get them dirt cheap left and right. . .

just be a smart nerd, and if you buy an ebook, strip the drm, keep it locally, cause it ain't like you gonna have to have some huge cloud backed storage for all the azw3s you ain't actually reading

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if you just keep it from latching onto your wifi it'll run outta ads p quick and you get a default sleep screen begging you to let it download more ads

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I just go to #bookz on undernet and download txt files to read on my iPod nano 1G with rockbox

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i hope ur not jokin m8 bcoz the 1g ipod nano is well top kit bruv

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sweevo posted:

they're ads

stop making excuses them them

ads are good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i use my kindle every day but i worry that ppl will think im a fucktard since i dont got a lot of paper books so i buy books anyways and crease their spines with a rock sometimes. hth and also its good 2 give authors some money a lot of times they dont got a lot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u can tell by my sick diction that i read a lot hehe (star wars, trek, gate, etc etc)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u ever wonder why ppl who say they read a lot of books always say the "devour" books and are "voracious" readers? ud think these brainiacs would find another word some time or another to describe their mass reading. always question these folks commitment to literature when they use one of these old and busted words. anyways i dont value the Old Book smell, but i do value the smell my of rotting smegma. coincidence? maybe.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
christ marie they're *pronounced britishly* advertisements

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've found that people who actually talk about "devouring" books or being a "voracious" reader are a lot more interested in appearing to read a lot than in just reading stuff. strange but true!

*also they might just be elementary school teachers, those seem to be some of the go-to compliments for "gifted" children

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i buy used paperbacks from the salvation army and the only ebooks i have need to go through a three step process so i can package them for my newton

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'd rather hear about "devouring" books than "consuming" "media" (watching animes)

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

u can tell by my sick diction that i read a lot hehe (star wars, trek, gate, etc etc)

lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

nilay is great. i got banned from commenting on the verge for calling him a moron when he wrote an entire article about why we dont have arm macbooks because "the benchmark scores are the same between the apple a9 and the core i5" or some poo poo equally moronic

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the tng star trek books aren't bad

burning swine
May 26, 2004

kindle seems like a pretty great product but I have serious concerns about spending real money for ebooks I won't be able to read after amazon goes tits up and my kindle hardware reaches its sub-decade maximum lifespan

i buy a lot of hardback books now

burning swine
May 26, 2004

now, if they would throw in a free kindle copy when I bought a hard copy, that would work

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i sometimes pirate ebook copies of the physical books i buy and i don't feel bad about it because they totally should just provide it for free ityool 2017. i'd pay a buck or two for a combo deal too, if they provided it (i know some tech pubs do now)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i mostly just buy ebooks in the first place now though and i'm not worried about the drm but if i was i'd pirate those too idgaf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

kindle seems like a pretty great product but I have serious concerns about spending real money for ebooks I won't be able to read after amazon goes tits up and my kindle hardware reaches its sub-decade maximum lifespan

i buy a lot of hardback books now

removing amazon drm is trivial

Apr 7, 2003

They do have a new file format that makes it harder to strip DRM IIRC though.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I've encountered the new format from amazon on one book.

I don't remember what I did to strip it, but it was rather easy.

Apr 7, 2003

well good.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have darth bane dynasty of evil in hard cover its by the guy wrote mass effect and he does epic force moves on ppl and has bug armor FTW and also this chick makes evil force tentacles.... WOW!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
in star wars shatterpoint epic jedi mace windu goes to his home planet which is a jungle planet and does battle with this powerful savage guy who has like a super strong shield made of something that his light saber isnt good against. and some other poo poo happens. one time there is a mountain or something falling on a car with a guy whos stuck in it and he uses the force to hold up the land slide while throwing the car somewhere else. incredible power. kind of reminds me of like that game where you pull a star destroyer out of space and crash it into the floor with the force. wow. such increidble powers. also in the mace windu book he has a hot and sexy girlfriend iirc which i like to read about.

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

in star wars shatterpoint epic jedi mace windu goes to his home planet which is a jungle planet and does battle with this powerful savage guy who has like a super strong shield made of something that his light saber isnt good against. and some other poo poo happens. one time there is a mountain or something falling on a car with a guy whos stuck in it and he uses the force to hold up the land slide while throwing the car somewhere else. incredible power. kind of reminds me of like that game where you pull a star destroyer out of space and crash it into the floor with the force. wow. such increidble powers. also in the mace windu book he has a hot and sexy girlfriend iirc which i like to read about.

:jackbud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
another cool thing that happens in a space wars book is yoda teams up with some teens and one teen shes not very powerful but she has a lot spunk and is scrappy you know. anyways they go to a far away planet where count dooku i think lives and its a raining planet and dooku lives in a giant mansion where he plots his evil deeds. dooku used to be bffs with yoda and he was his apprentice until he became evil. yoda is sitting in a zen garden at one point and hes remembering what good friens they were. they was kinda sad to me to think about yodas life like that. hes really old you know and hes had a lot of friends who died or became evil or whatever. that would be sad. anyways at another time in this cool book they are at the mall or the airport idk IG-88 busts in an starts loving owning ppl left and right. that was badass he was using his epic droid speed and weapons to hose down ppl with lasers and rockets. man that owned. they ended up defeating him by throwing bombs on him i think. that was cool. i love to read, books.

• Locked thread