Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qirex posted:

a topic so non-controversial that this forum basically stopped talking about it when the old android thread got closed

it's in the google thread now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The "buy a used HP jornada on eBay" craze and SH/SC was a crazy time

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

My experience with your applications so far:
I installed your Mine Colony game about 15 minutes ago.
"Has no special permissions required." Great!
Crashed on Install ("Google Apps has stopped working.")
No worries, the icon was still there so I played the game.
Now, I was going to start preparing some notes to help you out.
So first, I went to uninstall Mine Colony. Crash. Cannot uninstall app, not responding.
Tried again, same problem.
Now suddenly, icons start disappearing from my screen. "Settings has stopped responding"
Other background apps now crashing, I reboot.
Android loads to a completely unresponsive black screen.
After a few minutes, the screen is still black but I'm able to only bring up the Reboot/Shutdown menu.
Reboot again, same problem.
Doing a full shutdown now.
I am a very frustrated and angry customer right now. My phone is completely Effed Up at the moment.
Update:
Full shutdown doesn't help either.
Going into recovery menu.
I don't swear very often, but I must say: your software just totally hosed my operating system.
Did you make a bricking virus or something?
Oh poo poo. Safe Mode isn't even working. gently caress.
Need to download some tools, going to try clearing Application Cache if I can access it.
Using a PRIV, this isn't going to be fun.
Apparently, I'm going to have to install the Android SDK. Got the USB drivers installed.
SDK might not work out after all, need to enable USB debugging. Developer mode already on, but I still need access to the OS menus.
Looking at other options.
Wife called me asking why I'm still at work. "I tried to help someone out, and got hosed."
Yep, "System UI isn't responding" even in Safe Mode. ADB won't work unless I can Authorize it from the UI. Can't access contents in any way while the UI is broken.
Will hunt around for bootloader options, maybe there's a way to replace the O/S without wiping all data.
Welp. If I had a different Android, I would have more options available. But, having a PRIV puts a lot of restrictions in place. The only option is a complete wipe, wonderful.
When Blackberry says "securely wipe the device", I hope they're not writing zeroes to it. Would be nice to recovery some data after the fact.
That's not good. Failed FR, now phone won't boot.
Trying the flash again.
Worked this time thankfully. Back to the new user Welcome screen.
I'm not hopeful on any data recovery but I'll give it a shot. Time to rebuild my phone, during the Easter long weekend of course.
It's late now, so I'll have to start re-building tomorrow on Good Friday.
In three days hence, my phone will rise again!
I forgive you Tomasz.
* 04/14/17: Update from /u/faultexception, /u/lacozzini & /u/justjanne
Cause is most likely the icon file size, its 3556x3556 and causing a Out of Memory exception error.
According to /u/justjanne, most devs won't notice the bug because they install via Android Studio or Visual Studio, using ADB which never displays the icon.
/u/lacozzini pinged Google about the issue, as it's something they can easily search and eliminate on their store. It's also important to track after approval and submission, since the icon file could be updated or replaced if a programmer had malicious purposes.
For those that were interested, data recovery is very limited (e.g. contacts, some images) unless you have root access. PRIV can't be rooted (AFAIK), so I can't recover important stuff. On a different android, I would have been able to recover the phone fully. But, the PRIV apparently uses unusual security measures.. it's like they built a prison where all of the doors are unlocked from the outside, and the only way to fix those doors is to burn down the entire prison and build it again. But, the contractors will keep installing the new wrong doors.

https://np.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6575nr/is_it_actually_possible_to_earn_money_from_mobile/dg8mmia/?context=10000

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

if it causes normals to start caring about color calibration that could be cool

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

time is a circle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91iyxSzmSAI

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

video is gone, what was it?

if you put your finger on the right part of the phone while using 5ghz wifi (on certain channels) you lose connection

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

OnePlus says ‘jelly’ scrolling effect on OnePlus 5 is normal - The Verge

[–]domosicecreamOnePlus 3| VertexOS 38 points 3 hours ago
They saying it's normal because it's a hardware issue, the display is mounted 180°. If they admitted it, there would be a huge backlash and would probably have to recall all the phones.

[–]shorty6049Nexus 6p/Pixel C/Moto 360 13 points 3 hours ago
What do you mean by "the display is mounted 180°" ? Like they accidentally put the screens on upside down or something?

[–]livedadevilS8+ Snapdragon / Oneplus 3 19 points 3 hours ago
Yes. Turn your phone upside down and scroll, things squish and stretch (my S8 plus does) which means that one plus hosed up manufacturing and actually mounted the displays wrong on some units

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

it doesn't. this is complete nonsense. displays don't get mounted upside down. they don't even have an upside down, the scan direction is reversible. what this person is seeing is probably just lag in the touch response that gives it the rubber band effect

It might just be power of suggestion, but I definitely see something similar when scrolling on a pixel that's upside down. Presumably it's not the actual AMOLED module being mounted upside down, but something a little more subtle elsewhere in the chain.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

I just recently found out that whatever kernel an android device ships with, that's the version it stays with forever, through all OS upgrades.

what. the. gently caress.

why would Qualcomm make more than one BSP when they can just make one and call it a day

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Doc Block posted:

for the anroid phone in question, its possible that rotating the device makes it fall off some optimized, direct framebuffer-to-screen drawing path, and having to go through the window compositor (so the screen contents can be rotated 180 degrees) introduces a noticeable lag. (as if anroid has an optimized drawing path :laugh:)

good catch that's probably what's happening with the upside down pixel

who knows what's wrong with the oppo phone though. Yesterday it was normal, today it's a software fix

EDIT: Yeah the oneplus refreshes bottom to top for some reason https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/960-fps-video-oneplus-5-display-t3629812

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 1, 2017

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

the short version is that it's not that some are leaving the factory with a panel in one orientation while others are 180 degrees from that, it's that they sources the same panels as the previous phone but designed the phone such that the panel is 180 degrees from that.

because the oppo R11 had the connector on the bottom, but they wanted to use the same screen as the one plus 3, which has the connector near the top

oppo, vivo, and one plus are owned by the same company, oppo and one plus share a building, and the one plus phones are built in an oppo factory

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

what OS is running on the average desktop at google?

EDIT: oh

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

eric posted:

Yep. The AirPods are good. It's time to let go of wired headphones.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

I bet Sergey Brin is glad his intern loving was exposed years ago before there was a penalty

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when i was a kid i thought jonathan rhys davies literally was pavarotti

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

there was way less commonality between the SW builds of various symbian s60 phones than you would think. like think fragmentation/reinventation issues worse than the android market, except all happening within one company.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

i remember the coby kyros ~*~in the club~*~

lost to the ages, that video. or maybe cuz yosposters were making GBS threads all over the comments idr

i can somehow still picture some guy miming a "this is what you look like holding that tablet" gesture to the guy filming.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

apples socs and cores are way way larger than arms though, just saying that i don't think there's that much on the table at the scale arm does cores at (i assume arm at least has bigger stuff on the roadmap, but i expect that apple will keep being the most audacious designers for the foreseeable future).

possibly samsung should have attempted something similarly ambitious, but they were mostly playing in the same ballpark as arm, and thus achieved nothing terribly interesting.

don't sell them short, they managed to get noticeably worse results than qualcomm

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12620/improving-the-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-2

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

google next gen assistant: sending a bit of speech to and from the cloud is too slow, lets spend hardware to do it locally

google stadia: local hardware is too expensive, lets use the cloud for ultra low latency video

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

a product that will literally burn your balls is a verge 7
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/13/21136283/msi-prestige-14-review-laptop-specs-price-pink-content-creator

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i wonder what the plan is for stadia

microsoft had to spend a couple billion to break into the game console space 15 years ago, presumably the number would be in the tens of billions today.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i still want foldables to be a thing. my phone is too big (when it's in my pocket) but also too small (when I'm trying to look at stuff on the screen) and foldables could the solution to that once the technology advances so that they don't break all the time

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

1) the chips can run at a lower frequency. dynamic leakage increases with the square of the frequency, so they get significant power savings for the same computation.

dynamic power (in theory) scales with frequency linearly and voltage squared, but since you generally end up raising voltage to raise frequency I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with power being proportional to frequency somewhere between squared and cubed over the full range of operating frequencies.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

[TIPS] Getting the best out of Android

I have compiled a set of tweaks that I have done over time to get the best out of my Android. This includes getting rid of ads, reducing bloatware, focusing on privacy, getting more performance and battery life. Most of this are focused on non-rooted phones, there are better alternatives if you are rooted.
Feel free to add your own tips below and I will add them here.
1. Debloating: Many OEMs will have a lot of apps preloaded like Facebook, Microsoft, Google apps, and their own apps. These can be removed through ADB. This is safe and can be reinstalled easily if needed.
Enable developer options by clicking the build number seven times and enable USB Debugging. Install ADB on your PC, connect your phone to PC and run adb shell pm list packages to list all your packages.
To remove a package run adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package_name>. You can find a list of bloatware list for your device / OEM from xda-developers (Eg. Note 10 bloatware list)
2. Privacy:
1. App permissions: App permissions are bundled under a single category now under Android-10. Permissions can be removed for apps that don't need them. Or better, removing permissions can be automated with Bouncer
2. More privacy options can be found in settings / app-settings through which you can turn off personalized ads.
3. Disposable email-ids: Temporary email addresses can be created with apps like Temp Mail if an app or website forces you to login.
4. Use password managers and two factor authentications (Bitwarden and andOTP) for secure logins.
5. Prefer open-source alternatives instead of apps that collect your personal data.
6. Firewall: I recommend Netguard. This blocks Internet access to apps that can function without internet (like Calculator, Camera, Gallery, Video / Music players). Netguard can also block ads and trackers (see below).
3. Ad-blocking: Before getting into this, I'd suggest buying a pro-version or supporting the developer directly whenever possible.
1. There are ad-blocking apps like Blokada / DNS66 that uses VPN to block ads system-wide. There are many hosts file around internet that can block Ads, Trackers, etc.
2. If you are using Netguard, from above, there is a github version of it that supports ad-blocking as well (https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blob/master/ADBLOCKING.md)
3. If you prefer to do this without VPN, devices above Android-9 supports Private DNS in settings. (Having dns.adguard.com as your private DNS will block ads system-wide)
4. Performance and battery:
1. Frequently clearing an app from Recents menu will make it load again and consume more battery.
2. Automation apps like Bixby Routines / Tasker can be used to enhance battery life / performance, like
1. Turn off Mobile Data / Location when you're connected to Home Wifi network.
2. Turn off Data-Sync when phone is not charging.
3. Turn on Battery saver at night.
4. Turn on Locations only when you open an app that needs it (like Google maps, Uber, etc.)
3. Turning off background Wifi Scanning, Automatically download software updates can improve Battery life.
4. Turn off Digital Wellbeing by removing it from Usage Data Access, if you're not using it.
5. Don't use aggressive battery savers, they would cause more drain. Android's default Doze is good enough IMO.
6. Prefer Dark / Black themes especially when you have OLED displays.
7. Disable Fast charging whenever you can.
8. Keep your battery within 80% - 20% to prolong battery life.
5. Other tips:
1. Use Youtube Vanced instead of default youtube app. This blocks all ads and allows Background playback, PiP mode and a cool AMOLED black theme.
2. Google Opinion Rewards is a neat way to earn Google Play credits that can be used for play store purchases.
3. If you have a Samsung phone, check out GoodLock suite of apps. They are made by Samsung and offer crazy levels of customization. Also Hex installer is cool if you're into customization.
4. Reducing animation scale in Developer options will make your phone feel more responsive if you have older phones.
5. If you don't use Google assistant, disable Microphone access to google app and remove it from Device Assistant app from Settings->App->Default Apps.
6. Using Your phone for Windows or KDE Connect for Linux can make things seamless between Phone and PC.
7. If your phone has NFC, it can be used to automate lot of things by tapping on NFC tags like Turning on WiFi when you enter home, Unlock your PC by having a Tag near it, Having a bed time routine with a Tag on your bed, etc. Check out NFC Tools for more.
8. Hermit can replace many apps like Facebook, Twitter, Amazon with their web versions.
9. Firefox Send can be used to send files < 2GB to anyone through a link.
10. Replace chrome with Kiwi browser or Firefox, they are open-source and support extensions.
11. Install and enable ADB on your PC and always allow debugging for your phone from your PC. This will come in handy when your display is broken, by controlling screen with scrcpy.
12. If you have a Snapdragon CPU, there will be a modded version of Google's camera for your phone. It would improve picture quality drastically with Google's HDR+ processing. You can check xda-developers.com for GCam for your device.
13. snapdrop.net can be used to share files to any device within your network. Just enter the URL in you browser and it'll work.
PS - Be careful when uninstalling system apps. Use a recommended debloat list for your device if you're not sure.
I will be adding more tips here. Suggestions are welcome.
Edit 1 : Added Google camera and snapdrop.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

people held house parties to celebrate the launch of windows 7

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

i can't find the one anymore with the strategically beeped out words that made it sound like they were planning an orgy

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As an embedded engineer, I hate sdcards with a passion. Apple was 100% correct never to add them to iPhones.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

yosposters are huge nerds, but we're all self hating nerds, so we bully each other into doing 'normie' things that are actually good, like using spotify instead of music janitoring

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

crepeface posted:

google doesn't want to be a hardware company anyway, as long as everyone's using their services, they don't give a poo poo.

the unfortunate part is that they do but are still not succeeding

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lot of renewed noise about fuchsia. prepare for google to go from android pretty much being the smartphone windows 95 to a proper google product where they randomly eol half the core features without warning.

even if the playground for senior engineers actually ships something I think they're still a very long ways away from being able to replace android.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jabor posted:

it's okay, once we figure it out we'll send scotty back in time with the secrets of transparent aluminium

sapphire has a fair bit of aluminum by weight IIRC so we kind of already have it

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

$2000 LIMTED EDITION MARIO WATCH

it is at least a better watch than a richard mille

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

she got to yahoo, saw that it was probably in an unrecoverable state, and decided to just shower its money on doing favors for her friends

as opposed to a theoretical CEO that doesn't do this?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i have a car that recharges in about 3 minutes at any of about 150,000 charging stations around the country.

way to humblebrag about driving on dictator juice

instead of fracking juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sounds like they got a pro voice guy for their steam demo video so it sounds kind of like a radio ad: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1787630/Jump_Challenge/