Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

VikingSkull posted:

Stewart (Friesen) gon win dis

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
SRA :allears:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Harveygod posted:

Turn left SRA :ohdear:

That's Johnny Sauter

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I have yet to see a debris yellow this year, by the way

e- also ad breaks seem much less frequent

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

Hmm... corporation who likes Trump also likes fellow corporation that likes Trump. Nah, nothing with that.

sir this is the NASCAR thread

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
that's what you get for not selling merch

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
less downforce is a good thing, idgaf

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
They don't have better catch fencing :ssh:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Not a debris yellow anywhere all week.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
"Man this segment crap is causing wrecks left and right"

*no one notices that this all broke out in the third segment*

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Conspiracy! Conspiracy! I yelled to no one in particular because I am a lunatic

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I still don't understand why people are saying it was a bad race, it looked like every other plate race I've ever seen

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

wicka posted:

The end of each stage does not require a caution, and if it does, it sure as poo poo doesn't need to be eight loving laps.

Well you need the first lap to slow the cars down, second to gather them up, third for formation, fourth opens pit road, fifth is for the lap down cars and usually like two more pace laps so I mean having eight isn't some huge deal IMO

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Volkerball posted:

And having constant restarts increases the likelihood of accidents. Almost every actual caution was right after a restart.

Almost all the wrecks happened in the third segment.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but that was just luck of the draw. If you've got 7 restarts and 5 cautions on restarts, limiting the number of restarts is going to help keep the green flag out. Deliberately adding more restarts for shits and giggles is just asking for trouble.

Well, what's the solution, because when the race is run like normal they go single file for 400 miles and everyone in this thread bitches that the race is boring.

dennyk posted:

Hell, Viking, I know you've been around long enough to remember quickie yellows. If they can get a debris caution done in three laps at some short track, they drat sure ought to be able to do it at Daytona when there ain't even any debris to pick up.

I've also seen guys get run over on pit road because the teams knew it was a quick yellow and they did dumb poo poo.

wicka posted:

Is this a joke? The cars are still in the tri-oval when the caution comes out and they need four more laps to get to pit road? Just pit at the end of the that lap, ffs.

So many of you are quick to criticize NASCAR but then still parrot their idiotic reasoning for their bad rules.

Kidc and I probably criticize NASCAR the least in this thread.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I mean, I'm not saying they can't tighten up the yellows some, I'm sure they can. I like the segments, though, because too many races have been single file until the end, the plate races are notorious for that.

I'd rather sit through restart crash cautions than debris yellows any day. Ideally, they'd run the race without either, but there's a ton of people, some in this thread, that get bent out of shape if the field gets strung out and if bunching the field back up and awarding points helps get more money into the sport then I'm all for it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, like, arguing about yellows after a race at Daytona seems weird considering this forum plays a game based on them.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not sure a sample size of one plate race is indicative of how the new format will play out, though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Let's focus on one thing that can bring us all together: Kasey Kahne is loving Terrible

but he's so dreamy :allears:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

lol I just watched this and was gonna post it

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Volkerball posted:

At the end of each stage, park all the cars diagonally down the length of a turn, and when the siren goes off, all the racers have to run up the banking, jump in their cars, start them, and take off. Fastest ones out are the leaders.

Every pit stop the drivers have to drink a glass of champagne*, whoever drinks the most bottles during the race is the winner.

*Bottles of High Life also count, as that is the champagne of beers

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
70 subs lmao

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Elitist Bitch posted:

Didn't Mikey make Mark join Twitter? Anyway, I wish I could see that guy's face when he looks at his mentions tomorrow. His tweets look kinda boring and regular, I wonder what got his knickers in a twist.

The thing about the average NASCAR fan is they lead boring, normal lives while also holding dumb opinions of the sport that they'll gladly share on a whim. Couple this with being an older demographic that doesn't really "get" social media and you have that post.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

FuzzySkinner posted:

Jesus Viking, how many short tracks does New England, New York , and New Jersey HAVE? Just found out about this one (which has sadly closed..) via a clip of the movie "Arthur"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03KitgIrxk

Tell me about this track (Danbury) if you got any info.

I posted a tad about it when you asked about Don Lajoie the other day. We had the elf statues the Fairgrounds had at OCFS on top of our grandstands. It was basically an invite only type of place and one of the crown jewels of paved mod racing back in the day. No junk cars, everything was turned out professionally and it was known as a hard to win at place because of that. No field fillers at all. It was about 30 minutes from me by way of I-84, my dad used to go there occasionally.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

exploded mummy posted:

don't forget drag racing

I know you know exactly what I'm thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHhrtnBMNQ

Man, back in the day all my mom and her cousins had to do was cross the Hudson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCznWkdNC2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln-Fuy878hg

financially racist posted:

i mean just within an hour of where i used to live, we had albany-saratoga (a 5 minute drive from my house), lebanon valley (went here a whole lot) and fonda (never went because everyone said it sucks)

northeast is just absolutely littered with short tracks

Within 90 minutes of me I have OCFS, Lebanon Valley, Accord, Bethel, Wall, and Riverhead..... Thompson and Stafford aren't much farther, and then there's Albany-Saratoga, Fonda, the PA tracks, etc etc. A 4 hour drive gets me to maybe two dozen different short tracks, lol

The other thing worth noting is we hardly have any bullrings. Accord is a quarter mile, but by and large all the tracks up here are half miles.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 4, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Neodoomium posted:

I also made this

flame broiled

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Neodoomium posted:

This race sucked

this was basically every race prior to 2002 and NASCAR trying to cater to idiots with no attention span

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I bet another track loses a date, Charlotte loses an oval race but gets a roval date, and Vegas gets two in this deal.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

BMB5150 posted:

Or make the Coke 600 driving the roval and get a 2nd driver and make it an endurance race. I'm waiting for my check from NASCAR on this idea.

they should take your money for that idea :colbert:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Big blocks went to mufflers years ago and no one gave a poo poo

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah extra weight is moot when the cars run ballast weight. Though the ballast might be run at a lower point and maybe it affects CG somewhat.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

How did the 1.5 mile D Oval become so popular when it produces the worst "show"?

Well, there was a time before aero dependence when loose racecars on a high banked and fast mile and a half was exciting, especially compared to contemporary tracks like North fuckin Wilkesboro

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
It's why so many people bitch about Kansas, Texas or Las Vegas and rarely poo poo on Charlotte and Atlanta directly. The typical NASCAR fan will bitch about 1.5's but would also howl in anger if you bulldozed those two because of "mah traditions"

They are also conveniently the perfect size for 150,000 seat grandstands

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Complaints about a team running away with a race will never cease to amuse me. Like, that's the entire point of the sport. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

shyduck posted:

I think these complaints were one of the reasons why we have stages now. I mean it didn't really work out at Atlanta with Harvick running away with the thing until the penalty, but it also gives more meaning to over top 10 throughout the race.

Also it could be a lot worse for sure, like in the days when Petty and Cale were literally lapping the entire field.

It's also the reason the cars are high downforce and built to spec like everyone hates, and the reason there is a playoff system.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

shyduck posted:

I really would like to see NASCAR for one race at least, mandated a minimum ground clearance for like, I dunno, 3 inches at a cookie cutter.

This sounds like a good idea until a car turns sideways at 200mph

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
It would be a crime if Stefanik didn't get in.

Also, no Smokey, HoF continues to be a garbage fire.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
sell us hats sprinkler

e- Also backmarkers did have sponsors, but you don't remember that you almost never had a one off single race deal. Dude's would run 2/3rds of the year with a blank car and then lock up a deal for the rest of the year. Or start the year with a sponsor and then lose it. Teams would also just disappear and no one cared and there were far more teams that'd only show for big races with their one car and one of those rare "I'm sponsored for three races" deals. Some of the owners today feel like NASCAR needs to be a money making enterprise and 20 years ago owners would just piss money in the wind to do it.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Oh definitely. A big reason for that, though, is the teams. A guy like Haas will slap his name on a car, or Penske, and just eat the money, but a lot of teams today want to fully fund everything and it's just unrealistic. I could give two shits hearing about Jr. having a race still open when I know Hendrick can just put him in the City Chevrolet car for a race and make all the money in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

financially racist posted:

the real downward slide was when boudreaux's butt paste left the sport. rip.

same but Buckshot Jones

• Locked thread