Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why does he have a big American flag... on the ceiling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They're still doing Crank Yankers???

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

A mobile game? I shouldn't be surprised, is it just another garbage one like everything else out there?

Have you not seen Tapped Out?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

No, I don't play phone games.

Neither do I but I know what Angry Birds and Candy Crush are because I have eyes and ears. Point is it's huge and been around for years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So I was sitting on my couch today, and I realized, ever since I started watching, every single episode of the Simpsons has been worse than the one before it. So that means that every single day that I see one, that's the worst episode of my life.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You need to watch 'Get Him to the Greek' immediately.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

How are you a human male and you've never seen Superbad

What

No

Don't listen to this guy, that movie sucks rear end.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Her commentary reminded me of Homer's dialogue in that episode where him and Marge go to a movie and he asks obvious questions he would already know the answer to if he were paying attention until Marge yells at him to shut up.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He did put Homer into a coma in season 4.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"People who are good but smug about it are exactly as bad as people who are actively evil." - South Park

Since they are rich white straight men, the worst thing you can do in their book is to effect their lifestyle in any way. They aren't oppressed, so oppressors don't really bother them. If they dislike them, it's in an academic way, on principle. They don't really feel it.

On the other hand, do-gooders who (try to) make them feel guilt, shame, or like they should change anything about their lives actually do inconvenience them more than the actual bad guys of the world, so they hate them with genuine passion.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 30, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Not sure whether you mean the "DA DA DA DUM BA DOOOO" or the "IT BEGINS", but either one is good :v:

I like Ralph singing the 20th Century Fox theme from the movie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Simpsons joke that aged well

Nelson: “You ever gone on a killing spree?”
Postmaster: “No, no, the day of the gun toting disgruntled postman shooting up the place went out with the Macarena.”
Skinner: “I’m just glad I work in an elementary school."

:yikes:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Kevin Sorbo at least has the excuse of a literal brain injury.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeardley Smith hated the monorail episode, if you need another data point about her having bad ideas.

She claims all the actors hated it. :psyduck:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wtf, why? How? If that's true, they did an even fantastic-er job than I'd previously thought.

Well, it's easy to believe Shearer hated it. He hates everything. Actors often have no idea what makes the show they're in work. Patrick Stewart apparently always hated intellectual, classy Picard and would rather have been a beer & pretzels action hero. Mark Wahlberg thinks 'Boogie Nights' was a poor choice. Harrison Ford didn't like 'Blade Runner'.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Even then they were careful to contrast themselves from Looney Tunes by having Homer get carried off in a stretcher to the hospital.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Peak Futurama wasn't that good. Like season 9-12 Simpsons tier. Lots of extremely first draft jokes. If celebrity cameos in the Simpsons were bad I always particularly hated how much Futurama squandered any sci-fi premise by constantly mining 20th century pop culture.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My favorite Futurama joke:

Leela: Fry, night lasts two weeks on the moon.
Hydroponic Farmer: Yep. Drops down to minus seventy three.
Fry: Celsius or fahrenheit?
Hydroponic Farmer: First one, then th' other.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Roswell That Ends Well" has a poo poo ton of great bits.

"What smells like blue?"

"Why did you come to Earth?"
"Not a day goes by that I don't ask myself the same question."

Fry: "If she's my grandmother, then who's my grandfather?"
Professor: "Isn't it obvious? You are!"*

*which leads to another great bit in another episode:

"I did do the nasty in the past-y."
"Yes, and that past-nastification..."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Also, the bit where zoidberg is being dissected and he eats an egg immediately after the doctors pull it out of his stomach.

*Doctor cutting*
"Stop! I need that to talk!"
*Doctor cuts faster*

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

My

GOD

What in the holy gently caress is this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZQSq9ZTHdA

This is it. Close the thread. We have the answer.

Until next week.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Second Netflix season of MST3K was definitely when it found its groove, only let down by the lack of chemistry with the Mads, and I usually like Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt. I echo the sentiment that the jokes were too rapid fire (even when they were funny) in the first season. It was almost breathless. One reason old MST3K remains a constant rewatch for me is its chill, stoner vibe. Reboot MST3K felt like it was trying too hard at first.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ikanreed posted:

You do know what happens when you mix overanalyzing with a throw away joke, right?

This thread?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Same with the Montgomery Flea Market, literally just 2 minutes of copying and no joke

I can't remember if we're still talking about Family Guy but aren't a huge percentage of Family Guy 'jokes' literally just, "Hey, 'member that thing?"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

300 is meant to be a story that emulates how xenophobic authoritarians will use story-telling to dehumanize their enemies, re-write history, and prop up their own hideous culture as superior. 300 actually has great anti-fash, anti-racist overtones.

Unfortunately this interpretation is not supported by literally everything else Frank Miller ever wrote.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He doesn't smile with his eyes. It's a very Osmond family, Stepford Wife, we're-doped-to-the-gills-on-anti-depressants kind of smile.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is an unambiguous red flag and moral failing

Like Ellen being friends with GW Bush, their race and class similarities are more important than any political differences. Any issue that doesn't affect rich white people is just a hobby to them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Anime wasn't a thing in the west until the late 90s" is one hell of a take. In addition to Voltron, Robotech, Akira, and all the other anime and anime-inspired stuff that's been coming over here since the 70s, even in the early 90s, before broadband internet, my friends in junior high - in Oklahoma -- some of the deepest 'flyover country' you can imagine -- had an anime laserdisc club where they watched OVAs and poo poo like Dragon Ball, Ranma, and Gundam in the back of a local comic book shop. That was like 93-94. If even we dorks in Nowhere, BFE knew about it by then, then anime was absolutely a thing that people in the west knew about earlier.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Show regularly has Tress MacNeille, Matt Berry, John Dimaggio, Eric Andre, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche AND Noel Fielding, and manages to waste ALL of them. It's a borderline crime against humanity.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's very good. It's also very ugly. Which if you point it out is like "xbox hueg"

Like yes it is intentional. Because given the subject matter it would be really gross if it were easy to look at.

Yeah, this is me. I want to like it but it's so eye-searingly ugly.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Simpsons will probably be the first show in existence to have fans of the whatever is the latest series go back and watch the earlier seasons and go 'who the gently caress are they?' to the celeb cameos.

Unless they ever make a reboot of The Muppet Show stick.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny how, in art, the sum is very often unequal to its parts. Look at any "supergroup" band. They usually can't help but be "pretty good" because of their raw skill, but they're almost never nearly as good as the best work of any individual member. Take the Traveling Wilburys. On paper, you've got the guy who wrote "Only the Lonely", the Beatle who wrote "Something", a person who wrote "Like a Rolling Stone", another who wrote "Refugee", and someone who wrote "Can't Get It Out of My Head". And yet, together, the best they could do is, "Handle With Care"? "End of the Line"?

Or go watch the documentary about 'The Dana Carvey Show'. Here you have a dozen of the people who would define comedy for the next 20 years all working together on one show, and it loving bombed HARD. Legendarily hard. Bombed so hard that it's bombing is still worth talking about 25 years later hard.

If I were running the Simpsons, I would do the final season as an anthology produced and written by different artists and creators who've been inspired by the Simpsons. Just go hogwild.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 9, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I once heard someone on a podcast trying to explain why they think latter day 'Spaceballs' and 'Men in Tights' Mel Brooks wasn't as funny as 'Blazing Saddles' or 'Young Frankenstein', and they called 'Spaceballs' in particular, "First Draft: The Movie".

So I think you're onto something there. If in the early days the funniest writers on tv spent 20 hours a day polishing that poo poo until it shined because they had something to prove, nowadays the fifth funniest writers on the FOX network work strictly 8-5 and don't stress about it too hard.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I do find it weird though to think of Spaceballs as in the low tier along with Men In Tights. I always thought it was way better than that.

Spaceballs is funny, but Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are perfect. And there's a lot of lazy jokes in Spaceballs. 'Pizza the Hut' is a very first draft joke.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zombie Squared posted:

Struggling to think of one good joke from spaceballs.

You're looking at it now, sir. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Other than pop-culture references that are utterly impenetrable to anyone under 40 and an inordinate number of jokes at the expense of celebrity women's physical appearance, MST3K aged really well imho.

They're still doing it today (as Rifftrax) and still funny.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think another difference between 'Blazing Saddles', 'Young Frankenstein', and the other classic early Brooks movies vs. 'Spaceballs' and those that came later, is that in the former he's mocking genres he genuinely loves and knows encyclopedically, whereas with 'Spaceballs' and later he's making fun of things he doesn't really understand and doesn't actually like. I could be imagining it, but I think the difference in the final result is obvious. Imagine the difference between roasting a friend whose work you admire vs. being asked to roast a celebrity you've never met and whose work you don't enjoy.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 12, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I used to be with the Mike side on the Mike vs. Joel debate too. His episodes are 'funnier', better produced, better movies, etc. However, in recent years I've come to appreciate Joel's laconic, stoner vibe. Besides, as Joel himself said in an interview when asked what he thought about the 'Joel vs Mike' debate, 'It doesn't really matter to me. It's my show.' Meaning whichever host you prefer, the brain behind MST3K is Joel. It's all his idea, his vision, his aesthetic. It's Joel all the way down.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Very much this. Not only possibly the best crossover episode in existence, but also a top notch golden era Simpsons ep.

And the source of a Simpsons reference that's become part of the wider cultural language to the point where people don't even realize where it's from: "said the quiet part loud".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Morrissey is the world's sandiest little butthole, so that's not surprising. Ugh, of all my childhood heroes who got milkshake ducked, he was one of the most disappointing.