Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
i'll play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Diqnol posted:

I want to know:

Favorite Color
Favorite Movie
Favorite Person To Hang Day 1

Equally relevant questions.

Brown, Clerks, Scum

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

Laaaaaaame

My bad.

Green, Half Baked, SK

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

Clerks is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTfvxYUBug

I've delivered a lot of variations of Randall's reply to Dante to my friends over the years when they complain about things. It's so good!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Mission accepted and completed.

##vote Tobbs

Mostly a gut read.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Diqnol posted:

What else could it be based on other than gut at this point?

##vote Diqnol

I had a N0 cop and used it, lynch this scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

I can't shitpost anywhere else so I guess here I am guys ama

If you were scum, what kind of posts would you make?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'll be kind of busy for a lot of today and wouldn't mind a bump to tomorrow.

Tommunist posted:

This feels like a fake non town meltdown

Infinitum posted:

You know who uses weird rear end phrases like "non-town" this early in a game?

Scum that know I have to either be Town, or a 3P.

##vote Tommunist

I actually kind of agree with Infinitum here. ##vote Tomm

Not just regarding the phrase "non town", but the way he threw shade at Infinitum without making a case or vote felt suspicious to me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Some quick bookkeeping: I'm here for like 15 minutes, then out for like two hours, and then should be back from then until deadline.

The Science of Suck posted:

You look like you're trying too hard to appear casual
##vote Tommunist
---

The posts where you vote and then say oops not in the game have the same timestamp. So in less than a minute you checked the player list and then claimed you made a mistake. I don't think that's likely so you're probably lying.

I think SoS's suspicion of Tommunist is fake. ##vote SoS

SoS - what is it about making a mistake naming someone and immediately correcting it that you think is scummy?

Diqnol posted:

I've reread the interactions between these two three times now and it still screams extra.

##vote this is a stickup

What was it in those interactions that made you land on stickup? I say this as someone who can never read him.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

Okay, this SoS vote really took off and I really don't see why. He made one post about how the timing of the posts made him think that Tomm wasnt being genuine in his surprise that Kash wasn't in the game.

I mean, I could see this. But a more reasonable answer is that he posted that way for comedic effect. So at worst, SoS votes on a weak case on D1

Nothing about the tone of SoS's votes (to me) implies comedic effect. He put down a vote on Tomm for "trying to appear casual" and then continued to argue that Tomm was lying - which to me, sounds more like an attempt to misdirect the vote than a joke.

chores not posting at all is kind of piss-poor but ideally BK will deal with that.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Just over 30min to go.

Would like to see a claim from SoS before hammer.

I'm still not comfortable with this push over Tomm.
Gonna be making a case for him tomorrow methinks.

While I agree that Tomm's use of "non-town" is suspicious, I don't think it's as much of a slam dunk as you seem to.

Is there anything else to Tomm that you find scummy or is that it? Whats's your opinion of SoS?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Something about Tobbs has been making my nose itch this game. With Chores flipping, could this have been some soft bussing?

I re-read Tobbs and here's what stuck out at me:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I actually agree with MMT here. SoS comes out of the gate with what is essentially a gut read "I think you're trying too hard to seem casual." and then tries to justify his gut read by saying that Tommunist faked accidentally picking someone who's not in the game for his favorite player to vote.

I'd expect a town player under pressure to be honest and say that it was a gut read, rather than get so self-conscious about their vote that they come up with an even worse argument.

##vote SoS

Objective truths:

(a) Tobbs was the third vote on a SoS, and his reasoning was basically a "me-too" on existing cases
(b) The post I quoted was the only (non-joke) alignment call Tobbs made on D1

Additional meta stuff:

(c) Town Tobbs is usually a pretty active player whose opinion shifts around a lot, and I think his play this game is noticably different
(d) I would have expected a town Tobbs to say something about the degree to which chores was lurking since they usually interact in games; the fact that he didn't makes me think "scumbro"

##vote Tobbs

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Your case, MMT, is that I jumped on with a me too vote? I added to the conversation in a genuine way. What makes my vote and case worse than any of the follow-up emptyvotes, as well as votes cast to avoid a no-lynch? We thought SoS was scummy, so we lynched him. If he'd flipped scum, would my case/vote still stand out as especially scummy to you?

My case is a couple of things.

While I admit that suspicion could be thrown on a bunch of people for the SoS push, you specifically stuck out to me because the lack of alignment calls was (and is) out of character for you. As it stands right now, there are 0 living players in the game where you've said "I think (player) is scum because (reason)".

Like if you were town I very much feel like you would have OMGUSed me and accused me of manufacturing content or something for casing you. Instead, your response is to ask why other people aren't suspicious / how I would react in the hypothetical situation that SoS was scum instead of hunting for scum.

quote:

With regard to posting less here than normal, it's a product of having overextended myself (I died in two games just yesterday) as well as the speed of the thread, which is slower than normal. That, and I'm writing a novel with which I'm very nearly finished. It's horrendously nerdy, so I'd sooner claim than share what I've written with a bunch of ruthless goons (it's available to read for free online).

While I acknowledge that it's entirely possible that you're telling the truth about being overextended, more often than not I'm suspicious of people who go out of their way to explain why they're not able to post (see also: "the Cubs are playing").

Also, if you're trying to share the link I'd be interested in reading your writing and would like to think I'm not really all that ruthless :)

With all that said..

Tommunist posted:

Also i jailed him [Moat] night and i mean no town died so lmao

I know better than to ignore "Moat got jailed and no one died". Consider this a virtual vote for him - I don't want to rush hammer given there are lots of people who havent' really said anything yet and I want to see if anyone claims a vig on chores.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Why the gently caress would the vig claim in this current atmosphere?

http://i.imgur.com/AfR72C0.mp4

Why wouldn't they?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Because you're assuming:
- They're a one shot vig
- Not a serial killer

I said "I want to see if someone claims it (instead of turbo'ing Moat)", not "I think the only explanation for what happened is a one-shot vig".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Jedit posted:

You're arguing that Town have two protection roles.

I think it's feasible that town has two protection roles. Something killed chores last night and no one's claimed a vig so to me SK is the most likely scenario.

Max posted:

I get that there is a chance that Moat could be scum in this scenario. But based on the fact the fact that he was jailed alone could mean he was also possibly the target of the NK. It's interesting to me that a few people immediately jumped on the assumption that he had to have been scum without much provocation.

I think that if Moat was town, he would have volunteered the fact that he was jailed to explain the last of a scum NK. Instead, his first post on d2 was

Moatillata posted:

Hi I still think one of

Stickup
Jedit
And tomm

Is scum

Also lol at chores rolling scum and getting nked first night

"I still have the same opinions as I did on d1", not "hey guys I think I was the NK target because I was jailed". Town would have volunteered that information.

I mean I might be biased but part of the reason I'm suspicious is that this exact thing happened in Swan Song mafia and people just kind of glazed over it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

I wasn't told I was jailed mmt

Tomm was the first to tell me

Haha yeah I posted that and then stepped away to get ready for my day and realized that if you were VT you wouldn't have known you were jailed. What do you think of Tobbs?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

When there's a 50/50 chance that someone is scum, it's usually a good idea to eliminate them. However, it's also good to have other conversations going on simultaneously. Even though I'm the focus of MMT's scrutiny, I like that she's making an effort to get info on other player's alignment calls. Apart from SoS yesterday, I haven't seen anyone being overtly scummy. Also, with the godfather dead and multiple town power roles out there, this game might become solvable through night actions.

I'm sorry to keep banging on this "Tobbs meta read" drum but click here or here to see an example of Town Tobbs normally posts. Look at how many different people he accuses of being scum and how he's willing to throw his vote around.

The Tobbs I'm seeing in this game seems uncharacteristically afraid to make an incorrect case (but is fine making a town read on me) - I'd think it was scummy even if I didn't have a meta read there.
For example, I find it impossible to believe that a Town Tobbs wouldn't have cased Asiina by now.

Do people disagree with me or are they just not reading this case?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

This is more of a gut call for posterity than a case, but:

While I'm not saying that Diqnol is definitely the SK, I will say that if Diqnol was the SK I would 100% expect him to target a lurking chores first.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

I've never seen Tobbs be particularly quiet and safe. If you're basing this mainly on his behaviour in other games do you have examples of him doing this as scum? I find it a little odd you're going with that angle but only linking his town play

I don't think I've ever been in a game with scum Tobbs, which is why the difference here is so striking to me. The things he's doing differently aren't minor things, they're striking differences that I would perceive as scumtells on anyone.

(a) we're halfway into day 2 and he's only made one case (which starts with "I actually agree with MMT here")
(b) he isn't voting for anyone
(c) he posts an excuse for why he isn't posting as much this game

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

She said she was going to check-in/catch up today. If she doesn't follow through on that, sure, it's likely she's scum (from a meta standpoint). Asiina is a player who owns her meta.

I've literally seen you case TMM for being lurking scum based on a meta read in a game where he announced beforehand that he'd be gone for a weekend.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

And also, if Tobbs were town I feel nearly positive that he would be casing me right now, since from his point of view my tunnelling on him would be "scum MMT trying to drive a mislynch". The fact that he's chill about it and less suspicious of me, not more, is dead wrong.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Again I stress that even if Tobbs was someone who I had never seen play before, I would think he was scum. It's not just meta.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok but same question then, does Tobbs not do that stuff as scum? Acting different than usual doesn't necessarily mean someone is a different alignment than usual

I'm just going down the list of recent games:

In Swan Song, where Tobbs is town, he makes 8 total votes in the first three pages of his post history.

In Katamari Mafia where Tobbs is town, he makes 9 total votes in two pages of his post history.

In Paupers of Podlma, where Tobbs is scum, he makes 2 total votes in the first three pages of his post history (full disclosure: I wasn't in this game and hadn't read it; I just scrolled through Tobbs' post history for that game).

In this game, he has 1 vote so far, 2 if you count the stickup joke vote.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Jedit posted:

What is tingling you that isn't meta, then? I just re-read him and I'm not seeing anything other than someone trying to make cases.

Quote 2 of his cases this case.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Quote 2 of his cases this game.

Mafia edit. Also I'm going to be gone for a little while after this post.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Diqnol posted:

MMT, I don't dislike your case per se but I don't appreciate that it's so rooted in meta and I am being pinged by your awareness of the unpersuasiveness of that fact. Could you burn all of that out of your case and explain to me why Tobbs is scum?

Jedit posted:

He expanded on one case. Reading over again, though, you're right: Tobbs is contributing, but not actively casing.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Diqnol posted:

I don't think that not actively casing is a scum tell. You think it is compared against his meta. I find this unpersuasive.

I guess at this point all I can do is encourage people to read what I'm saying (and to especially click the links I provided if they're not familiar with Tobbs) and make up their own minds. In a game that's essentially based on reading other players, I very strongly disagree with the assertion that Tobbs' meta should be ignored given the degree of difference between his town and scum games.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

mmt do you have any other feeling about the game other than that tobbs meta says he is scum?

After Tobbs you'd be next on my list.

this is a stickup posted:

kill me or moat today thanks

Moatillata posted:

Why are you making this into a thunderdome???

---

I deny the utility of [a thunderdome] but never the good old fashioned fun it provides

---

I would vote tomm, stickup or jedit

The first two for obvious reasons the last because he has now twice mischaracterized

---

Stickup who tries to make the vote a thunderdome between me and him

---

Hi I still think one of

Stickup
Jedit
And tomm

Is scum

---

(re: stickup voting for Moat) Also this is a really lame pile on

---

I think stickup is a good vote tbh. I guarantee my flip will be what I claimed from the beginning which I guess is useful because maybe you guys might go after all the folks who piled on so easily and readily.

---

Oh yeah I forgot

##vote stickup

Your original read on stickup - that he's scum because he said "please kill me or Moat today" - seems fabricated. Can you sell me a little bit better on why you think stickup is more likely scum than Tobbs?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

@MMT

Honestly your scum read on tobbs isn't that far off. I'm maybe one or two lovely posts away from calling his alignment. The only thing that gives me pause is that in swan song I was really sure tobbs was the SK based on his posts and they are reminiscent of what I'm seeing now. In podlima I made sure to vote tobbs as my last post because his vote for me was so obvious and I had that aha! Moment that he was scum. I am waiting for that to happen in this game.

I'm not really trying to put you on the spot. I'm just asking questions because I remember how effectively I used this meta argument against you throughout swan song

For you to be putting me on the spot I kind of feel like you'd have to be accusing me of being scum. Are you?

Also my whole argument is that Tobbs' posts are nothing like they were in Swan Song - in what way are they reminiscent of what you're seeing now?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

Also I clarified myself in my edit to make you feel defensive but you still kinda bristled so I will ask you point blank

Are you scum mmt?

Point blank, I'm town.

Moatillata posted:

Tobbs normally really dominates the discussion and he didn't so much in swan. I think shine 3 is a really good example of town tobbs or shine 2 or FERNGULLY. Swan song wasn't so much like that and I think he is trying really hard to change his meta

Also I clarified myself in my edit to make you feel defensive but you still kinda bristled so I will ask you point blank

Are you scum mmt?

You think he's trying really hard to change his meta based on what exactly? What makes you think that over "he's scum and playing right into the scumtell that MMT pointed out"?

I'm fine with ##vote Moat - I don't think he's posting like someone who is trying to figure out other peoples' alignments.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

I am literally trying to parse your alignment hence my question to you based on how defensive you got

And what conclusions have you drawn from your read on me thus far?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

Also just FYI awful app wont open the link you embedded properly so I'm not sure what you're referencing

My post where I said that town Tobbs throws his vote around a lot, whereas in this game (and in the last scum game he played) he was very conservative when it came to actually placing votes.

You said, at least to my understanding, that you think this is because Tobbs "is trying really hard to change his meta". Why do you think this?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

I'm p sure he mentioned it in one of the many games I've played with him, I don't have a direct link atm and I guess he could confirm or deny it as well.

The whole reason I am engaging you about this topic is because I feel really solid about my tobbs alignment calls and my alarms haven't been fully tripped yet

OK, ignoring Tobbs for a second, why do you think stickup is scum? You seemed to take his "kill me or Moat today thanks" post way more seriously than was warranted.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

Man this game is open at just the worst times. I finally have some time to catch up on this today.

Tonight is the deadline d2 and you haven't made a game-related post yet - how's this coming along?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Probably sarcasm directed at Moat, but your reaction to his joking pressure is outlandish.

Did you just claim that scum know you're town or 3P, are you implying you're 3P? Seems like a cop out.

Same general question, anything to contribute to the game now that we're in D2?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

Except I didn't yesterday because I'm lazy and I'm about to leave and I likely won't be back to read 10 pages before deadline so welp.

I'm going to have to read it all anyway during the night to actually be able to use my role and I just cannot bring myself to care.

##vote Asiina

The fact that she mentioned having a cool role feels a bit opportunistic to me. If she truly wasn't reading the game and didn't care about it, I don't think she would have mentioned having a PR - so to me it reads like scum trying to justify not getting trying to make cases / scumhunt.

But even if she is town, I'd honestly rather just get rid of people who signed up and then aren't playing because it makes the game less fun. I have scum reads on Tobbs and Moat but at least they're willing to engage in discussion.

Best case scenario would be BK finding a replacement for Asiina but if that doesn't happen I think this is the best vote.

Asiina posted:

I know, I'm sorry.

I think a lot of us have been there at one point or another - all I'd ask is to be more selective of how many/which games you sign up for in the future :glomp:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

And I probably should, I'm a good role.

Did you use your good role N1?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I think this is a lazy vote MMT, like there are better candidates. I mean, if you have scum reads on a player push those cases. This feels like a forced cop out vote.

I don't really know how to reply to the accusation that I'm not pushing cases on the people who I think are scum.

Like I said, I do actually think Asiina is scum, because she went through the trouble of providing us a reason we shouldn't lynch her even though she also told us she's chosen not to participate in the game. I'm not 100% sure of it (because how could I be?) but it's believable enough to me that I think it's a stronger vote than Moat or Tobbs.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Asii/AA were on the same scumteam but I feel like it'd be jumping ahead to go down that road.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tommunist posted:

Ugh i dont like this paragraph

What about all the other ones surrounding it?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

I did. I skimmed the thread enough to use it.

Who'd you use it on and why? I can't imagine there's a reason not to answer this if you're checked out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tommunist posted:

While i dont like that asiina mentioned having a PR i think it comes from a nihilistic place then scum

So you think she got a cool role, didn't read the game, skimmed it enough N1 to pick a target, and then continued to not read the game going into D2 while letting it slip that she has a PR so we shoudn't kill her?

• Locked thread