Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love horror games but there are a lot I'll never be able to play. Can someone recommend some good horror game LPs that aren't people screeching at the scares? I've seen Voidburger's and Id's works.

The absolute very best horror LP I've ever read was Egomaniac's take on the Remaster of Siren. It's a very complete and informative LP, including supplemental material never released in the US. Also, Ego sticks to subtitles for his videos, letting the atmosphere of the game speak for itself. Wear headphones for peak experience. Also, Siren is an impossibly difficult and obtuse game, but with an absolutely amazing storyline, with some of the very best "show don't tell" I've ever seen in a game, so it's great to have someone who knows exactly what they're doing pull it apart and show us every tiny speck of detail.

Another good horror LPer to look into is Niggurath here on the forums. He does a lot of games, many obscure, and does so with a calm and relaxing voice that is far easier to listen to than the screaming jumpers you complain about.

Unrelated: If you're interested in Screen Shot LPs that add a narrative, I strongly recommend checking out Chokes McGee's runs of Final Fantasy Legend 1 and 2 on the game boy. He is an excellent writer that adds metric tons of humor, pathos, and drama into these games, heavily characterizing what are normally blank slate player characters, and fleshing out the stories far further than what is in the game itself, while expertly staying true to what the games actually say.

Also, I too am a big fan of watching things like AGDQ and seeing people far better at older games than I'll ever be speedrun them. In that vein I'm totally hyped for next month's Big 20 Famicom Race, a marathon where players have to go through twenty famicom titles in a row, with most of the games having the stipulation of winning the whole game. As it says, it's a famicom race. Some of the titles have been ported to the NES, some with graphic overhauls (Hebereke turned into Uforia, for example) and then some games NEVER left Japan. It should be a fun race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Would Game Center CX count? It's a show in Japan where this thirty-something comedian and game lover named Arino comes in and has to meet challenges for old games (usually beat them) within a time limit. He's not an expert player, and often is new to the games offered, but he and the producers of the show make it incredibly entertaining. You find yourself easily rooting for the lovable Arino, and cheering along with him when he conquers particularly difficult challenges. Also, the show is intermixed with features such as trips to various arcades in Japan (called Game Centers there), and interviews with classic game creators and stuff like that. There's a big thread in Games about the show, and I'm pretty sure goons are the main source of subtitling on the net. It doesn't take much searching to find episodes on youtube or whatever, though they regularly get taken down as well. To really get a feel for the show, I suggest starting with early episodes before going forward. The Super Mario series, in order, would be a good overview of the style of the show and how it's grown, both in presentation, and in Arino's skill. On the other hand, the Punch-Out episode might be the funniest one of the entire series. The show is probably the closest equivalent to a "Top Gear" for classic gamers, and is just terrific.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

jaclynhyde posted:

And I'm gonna recommend that LP in general because it's great to see Claire and Ryan's sheer enthusiasm for the games, especially as they see the graphic and quality of life improvements from beginning to end. It's an excellent background LP because, you know, video of RPGs, but their off-topic and on-topic conversation is great. (Also their voice acting is hilarious, but fair warning if you would not enjoy the adventures of the Most Italian Paladin!)

Yeah, I'd second that recommendation even if I wasn't the wacky neighbor costar level in that thread with Claire constantly shouting out to me as a running gag, and my eventual officially sponsored extra content of slowly screenshotting my way through the flashy modern remakes.

Why no, I'm not shamelessly self promoting, why do you ask?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Scruffy's Let's Play Monaco series was really enjoyable, and helped me get more out of the game. I didn't want to watch an LP as a walkthrough, and I didn't want to watch it as a substitute for playing, and so I found it fun to go back and watch his play of a particular level (Monaco allows for a lot of flexibility and improv) and get that ohhhhhhhh, I shoulda thought of that feeling.

He's basically doing the same thing for Enter the Gungeon presently over in the sub-forum. I recommend it.

• Locked thread