Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Not through the season yet. This is a fairly accurate depiction of me at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKSfoio-Sc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

double nine posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand the combat scene is a great one to show my friends how awesome legion can be, while at the same time it'd set unrealistic expectations.

What'd make a good tastemaker scene to show the uninitiated? One of the Hamm monologues maybe ("this will make you vomit")?

If they like Aubrey Plaza and smoke weed just show em:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOI6zrVMa6A

e: I really hope they go balls out next season after reading up on Legion.

quote:

David Haller was the son of Gabrielle Haller and Charles Xavier (unknown to Xavier). He had a normal enough childhood until he was present for a terrorist attack. The attack kickstarted his powers and led to the mental trauma that caused his name “Legion.”

You see, David gained multiple personalities, but each of the personalities had its own, distinct mutant ability (most of these abilities, on their own, would be considered “Omega Level” in their categories). David had the ability to, in effect, create new mutant powers out of nowhere and each of those powers came with a personality. There seemed to be no limit to the amount of powers he could create. His abilities were so strong that he literally traveled through time at one point! He was even able, at one point, to erase himself from existence.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 3, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
[wall of text inbound]

I've been thinking about the dance scene in the very beginning of the series, the one in the asylum. Originally I just thought it was part of this show's general insanity and wrote it off as nothing more.

However, this season we've seen that dance-offs are a way to show psychic battle. Psychic control.

So what does that say about that very first dance?

The first dance was almost a dream sequence when David was half conscious in a pool of water while in the clutches of Division 3. We see him back at the asylum, Sydney standing next to him, them moving in sync with each other while everyone else in the background repeats their gestures. Just like we see in season 2 during the dance-off at the disco.

I now think that was David remembering his unconscious mind taking control of her, making her do what he wanted. Making her love him.

"Want to be my girlfriend?" "Yeah, sure."

In fact, around 13 minutes in, just after David asks her that, we actually see brief fade ins of that dance sequence from the end of the episode.

Consider how much of the show has been Sydney going "You're my man" and refusing to even think negatively about their relationship. I took at that as this being her first 'real' relationship with someone who could actually touch her (in the astral plane, at least) and her not having any frame of reference for how a healthy relationship should go.

In the final episode, we see one of David's other personalities saying how they "deserved love" over footage of the moment David and Sydney first met at the asylum. We also know that David hasn't hesitated to manipulate everyone around him as he's seen fit.

Maybe Sydney never really loved David. What if the entire time he was subconsciously controlling her to get what he wanted - the love he always felt he was owed. This behaviour was also why he didn't hesitate to edit her memories and rape her at the end of season 2. It wasn't anything new for him, he had been doing that since the very beginning.

And this could imply that, in the final two episodes, when Sydney was trapped in the bottom of the hole with Melanie/Shadow King, maybe instead of taking control of her, he was actually freeing her from David's control and for the first time in the entire series, she was free to make her own choices.

And her first choice was to be totally creeped out by David.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 3, 2018

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That's essentially how I read the whole situation.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

And it matches up with what Farouk said, how Sydney would feel the same about David that David felt about him.

An interesting interpretation. There's enough ways to read this show that you can really make of it what you want.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
What I did like is because Dan Stevens is so likeable and charismatic as an actor is that they're able to use it against the audience. Like at the start of season 2, David is more upbeat than he was before, because he thinks that he's got a fresh start and can be is own man, so you root for him. Then he keeps making more and more morally ambigous choices, because hey, he's the main character, and you like him, and he's a flawed hero, but still the hero, right? Then episode 11 hits like a ton of bricks.

Bill Irwin and Amber Midthunder give the best performances of the supporting cast - they've really got that brother/sister dynamic right. Even though there's like 40 years between them, they really make it convincing that thier characters (or character?) have been together for years and are utterly dependant on each other to function.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Has anyone seen any good cast interviews? it'd be great to see how they all feel about working with someone like Bill Irwin, especially Amber.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Even if you did, good luck finding them.

Grey Ant Composite, sepia 2014 $3-400. But you can't find them. I looked.

I contacted them through the website about the show and the glasses and they said they're working on bringing that color back!! Maybe they just said it to shut me up but whatever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wonder if they fit thick corrective glass to compensate for my molesight

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So I finally got to the season finale and now, uh, I need a different name for my Spotify playlist, because "mindfuck: a Legion playlist" got a whole new meaning I would rather not deal with...

Looking back, "VICTIM" by HEALTH ended up being one hell of an addition to the playlist. It's like a teaser for season 3.

quote:

Know we're never gonna feel the same as it was today
Know we're never gonna feel again
But I still wake up and lie to myself

Love, your love, it's not enough
Love, your love, it's not enough

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mierenneuker posted:

So I finally got to the season finale and now, uh, I need a different name for my Spotify playlist, because "mindfuck: a Legion playlist" got a whole new meaning I would rather not deal with...

Looking back, "VICTIM" by HEALTH ended up being one hell of an addition to the playlist. It's like a teaser for season 3.

I am cultivating a playlist between Legion and Westworld, called “Legions of Killer Robots”. :)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

They've released an album of the season 2 covers. It owns

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Thanks for the link, album rules

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here's the mp3 version for people like me who have to own music:
https://www.amazon.com/Its-Always-Blue-Songs-Legion/dp/B07G2S9X9G

Deluxe Edition has two more tracks, including the "Behind Blue Eyes" cover:
https://www.amazon.com/Its-Always-B...+%26+Jeff+Russo

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Oh jesus gently caress. I've been waiting for this ever since I scrambled to find the "Superman" cover after the episode only to realize it was a Noah Hawley special. Hell yes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I recently watched Flight of the Conchords for the first time, Jemaine Clement looks around 30 years younger on that show, I am surprised he is only 44.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oasx posted:

I recently watched Flight of the Conchords for the first time, Jemaine Clement looks around 30 years younger on that show, I am surprised he is only 44.

Yea, it took me about half the movie to realize who he was in What We Do In The Shadows.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Just finished binge watching both seasons.

Season 1 is quite next level. Really amazing atmosphere, premise, pacing, acting...the whole shebang. Season 2 was enjoyable but good lord it was up its own rear end sometimes with the slow pace, indie rock soundtrack, gratuitous weird bits and overall meta-ness. I seem to recall Fargo annoyingly dialing up the same elements as the show progressed, so I hope Hawley can exercise some aesthetic restraint in S3. The shows are too much alike in many ways. And please, no more obviously filler throwaway episodes (S2E6). It was weird to be so intrigued while also tempted to fast-forward through some of the more redundant stretches. Strange tension that, but I did like how things ended up coming together and laying the groundwork for the anti-hero themes of S3.

OldMemes posted:

What I did like is because Dan Stevens is so likeable and charismatic as an actor is that they're able to use it against the audience. Like at the start of season 2, David is more upbeat than he was before, because he thinks that he's got a fresh start and can be is own man, so you root for him. Then he keeps making more and more morally ambigous choices, because hey, he's the main character, and you like him, and he's a flawed hero, but still the hero, right? Then episode 11 hits like a ton of bricks.

Yeah, he definitely sells it 100%, but the misdirection also works because there's still the gray area of Farouk and his machinations.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 12, 2018

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E6 owns and nobody can convince me otherwise, if only for the "Change the World" cover.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Is episode 6 the one with all the different possible timelines? Because that was far and away my favourite epsiode of the season.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I really liked that episode and it was a good setup for showing all the ways that David could've gone "wrong" without completely tipping their hand that even 'our' David might not be the best person

I think I'm probably due for a rewatch instead of just occasionally tossing on the music from the show: https://open.spotify.com/album/2uePxYTyE0K4uiIMb6Hqps?si=fjIABxjHQ1S7ljdbwevMLw

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Is episode 6 the one with all the different possible timelines? Because that was far and away my favourite epsiode of the season.

Yeah. It just felt like a waste of time to spend an entire episode showing us the high likelihood of David abusing his powers regardless of timeline. Wasn't worth dragging the overall pace of the show to even more of a standstill.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I did not enjoy it, though I did enjoy the way they found ways to reference it in the last episode or two.

I do think I'd get more out of it on a rewatch, but I suspect that I wouldn't get that much more.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating; the show's characters just aren't strong enough to support a full episode's focus. So episodes about David's transtemporal relationship with his sister, or a deep dive into Syd's conciousness, bore me to tears. And that's before you get into the decision to take a quarter of your episode's real estate dramatising an event we've already heard about in monologue (Syd's rape of her mother's boyfriend).

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Vernacular posted:

Yeah. It just felt like a waste of time to spend an entire episode showing us the high likelihood of David abusing his powers regardless of timeline. Wasn't worth dragging the overall pace of the show to even more of a standstill.

What I got from it was that there's almost no timeline in which David can be happy while also remaining himself and that the timeline we're looking at in the main show is probably one of the bad ones. It's an episode of pathos more than it is about just the straightforward demonstration that he's more likely to abuse his powers than not.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

But then again it came out at a very particular time where I could very much identify with the concept of being at a crossroads in one's life. So a lot of my reaction to it is most likely coming from what I put into it rather than what was "actually" there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think it was not just about looking for a timeline where David is happy, but also one where his sister is still around. There was one where he had a family and was really happy, but there was no sign of Katie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Vernacular posted:

Season 1 is quite next level. Really amazing atmosphere, premise, pacing, acting...the whole shebang. Season 2 was enjoyable but good lord it was up its own rear end sometimes with the slow pace, indie rock soundtrack, gratuitous weird bits and overall meta-ness.

*random cow appears*

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 13, 2018

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Season 2's soundtrack is insanely good

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So I just got off a flight and caught up on half of season two.

What the gently caress happened?

The show felt like it was spinning it's wheels for God drat ever and the Syd memories episode wore out it's welcome long before it reached oh hey here's the virginity story again but surprise it's even worse rape now and he was framed.

A shows run off the rails when the unrepently evil villain is the most interesting and less conflicted character in that they're not a hypocrite in their evilness. Them and the Cary's.

And let's not get into the delusions.

This reminds me in all the wrong ways of Friday night lights season 2 in oh poo poo we were renewed and we need to just throw poo poo at the wall to find what sticks.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Lid posted:

A shows run off the rails when the unrepently evil villain is the most interesting and less conflicted character in that they're not a hypocrite in their evilness.

I don't think "the villain's the most interesting part and might not be what we thought" is a sign of a show going off the rails.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I don't think "the villain's the most interesting part and might not be what we thought" is a sign of a show going off the rails.

Should've rephrased that to only interesting part. Though I'm having difficulty with the shows internal logic. In season one it was David who could destroy people with a look as he's the most powerful mutant ever which King took for a ride.

Then in season two Oliver can now do this despite being a telepath (And later telekinesis) and it being put on the Shadow Kings powers again he was an immortal psionic but yeah the powers are just getting more and more but inversely making the stakes feel less and less.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

Should've rephrased that to only interesting part. Though I'm having difficulty with the shows internal logic. In season one it was David who could destroy people with a look as he's the most powerful mutant ever which King took for a ride.

Then in season two Oliver can now do this despite being a telepath (And later telekinesis) and it being put on the Shadow Kings powers again he was an immortal psionic but yeah the powers are just getting more and more but inversely making the stakes feel less and less.

It's all pretty consistent, as long as you allow that things like psychic powers exist on the show.

David has reality warping and psychic powers. He is the Most Powerful Mutant. He's also literally crazy and untrained, so he can't use his powers anywhere close to his full potential.

Amahl is a very, very old psychic who has had plenty of time to master his craft. He can make people do things they're not aware they're capable of.

Oliver has had a lot of time to practice, also.

Things like this aren't uncommon in Marvel comics. Jean Grey was initially a telekinetic until they decided to make her a psychic too. (They retconned that Professor X locked her out of parts of her brain for a couple years till she was "ready" somehow.) Then there's the whole "secondary mutation" thing, where Emma Frost, a psychic, can transmute herself into organic diamond and Warren Worthington, who has hollow bones and feathered wings, has blood that will heal you.

My point is, the X-gene is a hell of a thing, and this show is internally consistent. It's also full of psychic perception fuckery.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
If you didn’t like episode 6 then why are you even watching this show lol.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Season 2 is up on Hulu!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Space Fish posted:

Season 2 is up on Hulu!
About time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

When is season 3 supposed to air?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I don't think they've finished shooting it yet, so it could be a while.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Danger posted:

If you didn’t like episode 6 then why are you even watching this show lol.

In retrospect, my issue was more with the season as a whole than the episode itself (though I suspect that it would still be kind of dull with a re-watch).

The show is moving at enough of a snail's pace as is, and then you throw in that episode...its kind of torturous, and there's a weird cognitive dissonance at work coming straight from a watch of season 1, which was taut and flowed smoothly plot-wise.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The final season is coming this Summer:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/legion-season-3-final-season-announced-summer-2019

(Hawley always intended it to end at 3 seasons, as per the above link.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Metalshark posted:

The final season is coming this Summer:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/legion-season-3-final-season-announced-summer-2019

(Hawley always intended it to end at 3 seasons, as per the above link.)

For some reason I thought he said 5 seasons initially but I can't find anything to support that. I must have made it up in my head.
Either way I'm stoked we are getting another season of this show.