Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm really into Evil Art Garfunkel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Has the time period been confirmed? I instantly thought that it must be the 70's with the wig Katie Aselton was wearing but didn't really think about it beyond that.

It's intentionally not in any time period

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lokipunk posted:

I've never posted in TV before, wasn't sure how spergy people get about spoilers.

They're not spoilers if it's not a streaming show. And they're definitely not spoilers if you're just speculating.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sanschel posted:

So the credited actor for the Demon is Quinton Boisclair, a man with no photos who has never done any other work except this show, and the only solid indication of being a real person is that his name is in the credits. Assuming that's just an alias, I'm not sure exactly who they'd be covering for but it smells like the kind of thing you'd do to avoid spoiling a big twist.

There is a Quinton Boisclair on Facebook but it definitely doesn't look like the same guy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

It's on FX, they don't care about traditional ratings.

They've gotta care to some degree. It's not premium cable.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Ryan Murphy, on the other hand, loving loves extreme zooms. Chew on that one, critics.)
The People vs. O.J. Simpson had the funniest camerawork I've ever seen on tv.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yellow eyed man is too silly looking to be that scary, especially with his goofy laugh that accompanies him.

The fingers coming around the wall were a nice touch though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am so confused by the Cary/Kerry situation

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys really don't need to spoil poo poo that already happened, especially if it wouldn't be a spoiler in the first place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

There's a creepy sound it makes too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you guys think there's any particular meaning to this show's fondness for embedding people in walls/floors or does Hawley just think it looks cool/disturbing?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Black Is Black posted:

Is there any chance the big bad this season isn't Shadow King?

In comic book shows, that's always a possibility.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Xealot posted:

Awesome. I didn't know what to expect from this show, and now I am positive I have no clue where it's going. Which is exactly what I wanted.

"Terrified, menacing rendition of The Rainbow Connection" is now a thing I have seen in a piece of fiction.

"From the man who brought you 'menacing recitation of the Jabberwocky...'"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

Give Aubrey Plaza all the awards. She managed to take a B-/C+ villain like The Shadow King into an actual scary villain, when he was just kind of a filler villain for X-Men comics. I'm scaroused after watching her dance number. She's up there with Jessica Jone's Purple Man for scary villains.

This show made Aubrey Plaza grinding on you into something to be terrified of, which is pretty impressive.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Haha this was the first time I saw that guy. Is he in other episodes?

He's in the first one

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Is this show a limited mini series with start and end or is it going to continue on? I want to know if we'll get closure or if they'll draw out his struggles for multiple seasons. Was hoping we'd see him actually able to wield his powers knowledgeably at some point but after 6 episodes it looks like he's still not close

It got a second season the other day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Emmy voters are not going to give a poo poo about a superhero show

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah, totally apt description of this show. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how apt a description it is. That's how it's going to be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

This show really transcends that genre.

I can't think of a single thing even remotely similar to Legion. The only comparisons at all are Lynch and Kubrick, and really it's mostly on the visual side of things.

This is how I felt about Hannibal, but award show voters didn't care about that either.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show is pretty drat discomforting. Not Hannibal levels of it (what is?), but it's not exactly a romp.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Mr. Robot is not in any way a "comic book show", and I wouldn't call it a genre show either. What's the genre? "hacking"?

Techno-thriller?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Anything that isn't a soap opera, a reality show, or a terrible police procedural is a "genre show".

But those are all genres?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol using Pink Floyd on a show with a character named Syd Barrett.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well that's a hell of a cliffhanger to put after the credits

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

anothergod posted:

Is this a thing that happens after every episode?

I don't think so. Noah Hawley made a point of telling people to wait through the credits on this one. It's not uncommon for TV shows to have a stinger in a season finale--Mr. Robot and The Walking Dead come to mind.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chadzok posted:

Oh and can I just say that the opening with the cooked guy and his gay husband/adopted kid was one of the most awesome things in the whole series. Felt like a nod to the Austin Powers "henchman's family" scenes.

It fleshed out that character really well and set up his husband as an antagonist next season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Ok so to everyone who seems to think David is now 100% sane: David feels better because before he was schizophrenic AND he had a psychic parasite that was pushing him further into madness, and now he's just schizophrenic. I guarantee an immediate season 2 plot line will be "I thought I was better, but Im starting to think Im not."

Isn't hearing other people's voices/thoughts part of his superpower?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Stop me if this conversation happened already but what year do you think this show takes place in? Every time I ask or search, the answer is either "it's supposed to be ambiguous," "it doesn't matter, we're just seeing it through David's crazy eyes," or "the 80s." Yet David's sister asks if she can e-mail her husband, which places it in the late 90s at a minimum. What do you folks think?

The same year Archer is set in

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Unsurprisingly, no Emmy noms

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

She borrows her mother's body, and it accidentally switches back partway through. So it's complicated.

I was confused by that story: do they switch bodies in the middle of it or switch minds back to the right body? I thought it was the latter but other responses suggest the former.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Do we have any word on Season 2?

Google tells me that it's expected to air in February and that the guy who was supposed to play Farouk is being recast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Feb of '18 is the last I've heard.

Also, Saïd Taghmaoui is playing as Farouk in what I imagine are going to flashbacks, but who the gently caress knows with this show. All the principals will be back, so he's not replacing Aubrey as far as I know.

Edit: ^^ Well poo poo. It's not going to be Saïd anymore?

As of two weeks ago, no.
https://www.avclub.com/shadow-king-actor-said-taghmaoui-abruptly-leaves-legion-1820839661

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL @ 2017 that I was genuinely surprised this wasn’t due to him being outed as a sex creep

No reason has been given so there’s still plenty of time for it to be revealed that he is a sex creep

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I also weirdly wanted Jessica Jones to have some more procedural elements even though I hate procedurals. It would’ve worked better to pad out Marvel’s unnecessarily long seasons than stretching the Kilgrave arc did.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah Pratt's really the only one who's career exploded, and poor Asiz could have broken into comic auteurism if he wasn't a creep with the ladies.

Aziz did break into comic auteurism and the creep thing was, what, a month ago? Considering how many people were defending him (and compared to some of the more extreme cases highlighted by the #MeToo movement) he’ll probably be fine. By the standards of people who mostly do standup he was a superstar after Parks and Rec.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Chris Pratt pulling the Blade 3 Ryan Reynolds “You’re funny but chicks can’t crank it to your dad bod so here’s 10 million worth of personal training and curated meals for a year and now you are a hot slab of beef” is the secret happy ending of Parks & Rec

“I just stopped drinking beer.
“How much beer were you drinking?”
“...a lot.”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Poehler was already a widely-recognized actress, Rashida Jones now mostly directs and writes - she was attached to Toy Story 4 before leaving over differences with Pixar, Nick Offerman has built a recognizable brand out of Ron Swanson, Adam Scott at least gets more TV roles than he did prior to the show, Rob Lowe was already famous and continues to get work, Aubrey Plaza went from a bit player to a well-known actress, Aziz Ansari did fine but whoops. The only main characters who didn't get a big boost from this were Retta, who deserves to be a lot more famous, and Jim O'Heir, who at least got a movie role out of it.

Compare that to the two other popular, critically-acclaimed NBC sitcoms at the time, 30 Rock and Community, and the P&R cast did way better.

Didn’t 30 Rock and Community have atrocious ratings? The better comparison is probably the Office, though I think the P&R cast do better than them too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t even know what the Bro-Rape thing is. Is that like how Ellie Kemper will always be Blowjob Girl?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who is narrating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No matter what you do to the song, White Rabbit will always be cliched