Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Danger: 0 | Freak: 0 | Savior: 0 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

"Uuuuuuuurgh..." A wave of pain comes back over me as I slip out of that one moment of focus. I put my hands on my hand and bend over a little bit from the feeling as my mind comes back into the here and now.

When I look back up, Ted and Nikolai are standing in front of me. "Yeah, you're right. gently caress Scope." I stand up casually, like I'm feeling perfectly fine and not like my head still fuckin' kinda hurts and I want to throw up a little.

I put my hood up and lean back against the alley wall. "But if you're so concerned about the Senshi, shouldn't you still be out there, Nick? Who's watching 'em now?" I give him a grin as I imagine them just going 'gently caress This' and running away like Firebird. It's what they should do, I think. Not go to loving jail because of us.

Any hope of Nick just walking away seems to go away the moment Ted opens his big mouth, though. Which happens really quickly. "Well, I guess there goes that secret, huh." I cross my arms shake my head. "Ted, you gotta learn how to lie."

Man, I thought this was supposed to be our secret...

"Anyway," I look down the alleyway and point towards the southeast. "I found him. He's over there, in a bar. A place called The Hound's Pit. Like a hole or an armpit or whatever."

"Here." I pull up the place's location on my phone, then send the address marker to Ted and Nikolai.

And then I look at Ted. "You gonna talk to him, or you gonna kick his rear end?"

Takanago fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Rat Street

Caught between the inquisitive gaze of White Emperor and the disappointed face of Jacob, Ted squirmed uncomfortably.

"I know I know I'm sorry" Said Ted all flustered, avoiding eye contact with Jacob. "I never feel confortable telling lies, but, if one or both of us walked off to do this and got into trouble, he wouldn't know where were, he should know this too because this concerns the mission and him..."

He relaxed himself after that, and managed to meet eye to eye with Jacob. "The Hound's Pit right? I think..." He thought about this for a moment. "I think it should be just me to go. If we all show up at the same time he'll think something is up and run away, but he might not of it's just me."

He looked at Nikolai "Please Nikolai, can you trust me on this one?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 2, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Freak: -1 | Danger: +0 | Saviour: +1 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Rat Street Alleyway

"What." She said, "What." Louder, that time, "Pointman - like, our Pointman. The Academy's Pointman - beat up Glitter Heart's friend --- how bad is 'real bad', Ted?" She didn't really interact with Pointman much at school, but he was a big dude, and for Glitter Heart to have been that angry... poo poo. Her thought process showed on her face, "Real bad must mean real, real bad. Right?" poo poo again. This explains why the Senshi were just blowing up Rat Street. This explains the expression they were wearing after being defeated. The new knowledge she'd just received explained everything that had happened at Rat Street, and absolutely nothing beyond it. Her mind raced with questions. If Pointman had commited a crime, why hadn't he been arrested? Why were they only learning about this now? Any hero who severely injures any villain gets criticized on the nightly news. A young hero (like Pointman) hurting someone from a former-hero group (like the Senshi) should've been at the top of everyone's facebook feeds within hours. What the hell was going on?

A part of her thought that none of those questions mattered. A part of her knew that the thing to do was head back to Rat Street, get the Senshi in a police car, have Scope ream the team for being sloppy about Firefly getting way, and then get up tomorrow for another day of patrols. A part of her was already reciting something her father had said long ago, 'The mole that sticks it's head up, gets the mallet.' Just stay underground, keep quiet, and eventually she could graduate and become a hero. A part of her believed that a future with the Senshi behind bars for 'senseless destruction' was the only possible future.

And at that moment, Runaway loathed that part of herself.

She snapped back to reality at Ted's request, "Your plan is to just, just walk up to him by yourself, and what? Talk to him? Ask him if he used his Academy training to brutalize someone? Ask him, in public, if he committed a crime?" Her accent had slipped a lot, but, "You're a really honest guy, and that's good. Truly, that's good. But -" this needed to be said, "- other people lie, Ted." She let out a small, sharp laugh.

Nikolai shook his head, clenched his fist, recollected himself. He glanced up, his usual calm somewhat restored to his face, "No. Going alone is dangerous, and it's hard for me to see what it'd even accomplish. We should-" He paused. So many options. So many bad options. He looked Ted in the eye, his teammate's desperate tone poked holes through Nikolai's reservations. If he couldn't think of anything better, than maybe it was at least a place to start? The foreigner let out a short sigh of remorse, "I... I take that back. I'm sorry for what I said. I do trust you, Ted, and if you think the information is good, then you should talk to Pointman. But," Nikolai stepped forward, hoping the thin mantle of command laid upon him by Dynamic Savior: Phoenix held at least a minuscule amount of power over his teammates.

"We," he pointed to himself and Jacob, "and the Senshi should follow behind you. Even if you figure out that Pointman did what the Senshi think he did. It doesn't matter matter if we don't have any proof or leverage over him. The Senshi can.." he spoke around the potential of grave violence, "do things, that we Academy students cannot. And we can play off their involvement as an accident. " Nikolai bit his lower lip, was this the right move? It was the only move that felt right, at least, "Ted, you head straight to the Hound's PIt from here. We can give you a fifteen, no," He thought of a different, more scenic route from Rat Street to the Hound's Pit. Being a lifelong local had some use.

"A twenty minute head start. If you can get a confession from Pointman before we arrive, then we capture him and it becomes your word, and the Senshi's, versus his. If he attacks you, unprovoked, in front of witnesses, that's even better. But the best would be If you can get a solid alibi from him. Then he simply walks out and we explain to the Senshi how it couldn't have been him, and we'll start the investigation for the real criminal." Nikolai nodded his head firmly, "We can't leave out that possibility. It could have easily been a costume thief, or a shapeshifter, or.!!" He suddenly coughed and let the sentence trail off, "Uh. Point is. I have seen many wondrous things since coming to Arcadia. Just because the Senshi saw him, doesn't mean it was him they saw. You understand me? But if it was him, then we have to..." He trailed off.

In the alleyway besides the ruins of Rat Street, Nikolai faced his teammates' judgement. He hoped that his plan to enlist the help of villains, that they had just fought, in an effort to interrogate and possibly capture one of their own classmates... He hoped it went over as well as it could.

Runaway/White Emperor is proposing the Caper! We Must Lead the Senshi to Pointman to Bring the Truth to Light. If any of the other villainous S.I.G.M.A Alleyboys second this proposed Caper! I'd appreciate it, but oh boy is the future definitely doomed.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 5, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +0 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1 / 5 | Conditions: Clear | Location: Rat Street

There was the rapid patter of soft-soled boots on concrete as Phoenix dashed around the parameter of Rat Street looking for any sign of Firefly. Not for the first time, she appreciated the pink haze her armor kicked up when she was tapping into her enhanced speed. It helped cover up the fact that she looked like someone had sped up a tape of her running … really, she had no idea how the top end speedsters managed to make things look so natural. Maybe if she leaned into it more? Something to experiment with later, she supposed.

Following the road, she took a sharp right turn, dashing between the bumpers of two cars as she hooked back. The mission wasn’t a bust, not yet. Losing one Senshi wasn’t ideal, but they’d stopped the rampage while causing minimal property damage, and none of them were hurt. They were still a fresh team, getting used to each other, that was a fine result for their second time out. At least, that’s what she tried to tell herself, but she wanted the clean sweep. She wanted to validate everyone’s hopes for her, and to boost the team’s profile in the process. Unfortunately, the team wasn’t functioning together … at least, not all the parts of it. It was kind of like playing a game of Jenga with a couple of people who really just wanted to watch the tower of blocks fall over. It wasn’t her fault that things kept going crooked.

As the leader though, she was the one who was supposed to keep things on an even keel. That was proving difficult while her own rudder was tipped. Darnit! How could Jacob just go and use her name like that!? In the field! In front of three supervillains!?! Children could process the concept of a secret identity! It was a school rule, and a family one! Slips of the tongue like that were absolutely unacceptable! They put lives in danger! At least Rave was just sloppy and disinterested in things, Phoenix honestly felt like Jacob was picking a fight with her.

Well, maybe he’d get it. Just as soon as they were out of the public eye. She couldn’t very well cause a scene, it would only draw attention to his misstep.

That was when the lightshow caught her attention. Veering off the side of the road, Phoenix dashed straight up the brick façade of one of Rat Street’s squat, aging buildings. She shielded her eyes from the sun, the tail of her split-tailed cape rolling and flickering in the updraft as she squinted behind her mask. That was Rave’s energy signature alright, she could dimly hear the strange warbling audio that tended to follow her displays.

<I think Rave found her.> Phoenix thought clearly, hoping that Lyrebird would pick up on it … telepathy had definite advantages over radio comms, but she was still getting used to it. <I’m going to go check it out.>

Then she was in motion again, dashing along a street lamp to get across the street and moving from roof top to roof top as she moved from the outer parameter back towards the fight.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"Wait," I narrow my eyes a little bit at Nikolai. "This is seriously what you want to do?" Then I stop leaning against the all and take a step towards him. "You sure you don't want to play it safe? Stay out of trouble?"

I flash Nikolai a smile and lean forward. There's definitely a hint of lawfulness in the air coming from somewhere. Even if it's not expressing itself right now. "You really want to just let Ted go off first, then have you, me, and the fuckin' Blood Moon Senshi walk up as backup? You want them to back us up against loving Pointman?"

I let the question hang in the air for a second, and closely watch Nikolai's face in the meantime. How much does he actually believe in this plan?

And then I just burst out laughing, suddenly dropping any pretense of skepticism I was keeping up. "Pfhahahaha! Man, that's fuckin' wild! I didn't know you had it in you! poo poo, I should have voted for you when we were picking leaders! Not loving Phoenix..."

I roll my eyes, then look vaguely in the direction of the spot where we left the so-called 'villains.' "gently caress, I was just about to go do something about them myself, but..." I look back towards White Emperor and pull my hood back off my head. "This works, too. Don't expect me to try to explain to a group of pissed-off punk Senshi why they shouldn't be mad though, if Pointman pulls some bullshit alibi." I throw my hands in the air. "I ain't touchin' that."

"For real though," I put on a more serious expression. "There's no way it's not gonna be messy as gently caress. I'm up for it though."

Then I turn my head back towards Ted. "This work for you?"

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Rat Street

Superspeed grid pattern search? Well, it couldn't hurt. Even with Jacob's "help", Ted and Nikolai shouldn't have a problem keeping the Senshi contained until the authorities came.

So, it was time for Dynamic Knockoff to enter the scene. Lyrebird didn't do the "shout a transformation catchphrase" thing — it wasn't her style, and more importantly, it wouldn't be her transformation catchphrase. Instead, she exhaled silently as a light burst forth from the back of her head, enveloping her with its mysterious makeover might.

The costume was gaudy, pink, and ill-fitting. That was the problem with copying transformations — the measurements were never right. The Dynamic Savior outfit was at least smart enough to adjust itself over time, but for the first few minutes, Sun-hi would basically be wearing Jennifer's clothes. She took off in a pink blur as soon as she could — the risk of tripping over her own boots was preferrable to the risk of snide comments if she stuck around longer.

Considering her frankly pathetic telepathy range (it didn't improve no matter how she trained), Lyrebird didn't really expect to find what she was looking for. She was more surprised than pleased when she actually picked up that slightly familiar sense of directed rage at the outmost periphery of her range. It took her a few passes around the block to triangulate an exact position — the fact that Firefly seemed to be standing still was both helpful and more than a little concerning. Hearing Rave's signature untz untz from the same direction was an unexpected coincidence, too — was Her Alien Smugness doing something helpful, or just being infuriatingly aloof at the enemy?

Well, no sense in waiting around. Phoenix's route should have her passing by the area at any moment — looking for her first would be a waste of time. Might as well engage! And there they were, Rave and Firefly about engage in an actual showdown.

I'll be damned, looks like Rave wasn't flying off to sulk after all. She's actually doing her job! She was also about two seconds from getting a face full of fulminating fury from Firefly. Which was an excellent opportunity to bail Rave out so she could rub her face in it later.

Lyrebird dashed in. Unfortunately, her boots chose that moment to make a final size adjustment. The sudden tightening around her ankles mid-step threw her slightly off-balance, and rather than deliver a graceful sweeping kick, she skidded to a stumbling stop. Out in the open, off balance, and within arm's reach of the enemy.

"Shi... uh... hi," she said. Yeah, there was no salvaging any dignity from this. Good thing the helmet was hiding her face — no good could ever come of looking flustered in front of Rave of all people.

----

Rolls posted:

[18:31.03] <Auraboks> Defending Rave from imminent retribution:
[18:31.06] <Auraboks> !r 2d6+1
[18:31.07] <Krysmbot> Auraboks, 4+1 = 5
[18:31.12] <Auraboks> And failing!

Marking potential and bracing for impact. Lyrebird can't hear anything Phoenix is thinking, since she isn't actively listening for it.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ted bit his lip ever so slightly.

On the one hand, this is what he requested that they do. He would go and find Pointman and... Whatever happened would happen. But the involvement of the Blood Moon Senshi gave him pause on immediately accepting the plan.

"I'll do it, I was the one who suggested in the first place it's only fair I go through with it. But, I want you to promise me, you will not sic the Blood Moon's on Pointman if it comes to a fight. No matter what, just let me try and handle this unless I say otherwise alright?"

He looked at them both, and took off his earpiece. "Let's say, if I give you four quick taps on the microphone that'll be the signal that I'm in deep trouble and I need help right now." He put it in his pocket, he hoped it wouldn't come to something like that, but you never know when you are dealing with unknowns.

"But the Senshis stay out of it, this is between heroes and it should remain between heroes because if we've gotten the wrong idea or there's an unknown party at work here, it'll quickly spiral out of control."

"Can we agree?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 5, 2017

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I put my hands up and back away a little bit when Ted mentions the word 'promise.' "Ohhhhh no. Nuh uh. No way."

"I can't promise to control the Senshi, dude. Whatever happens when they're there is their choice. And you know how pissed they are..." I look away, as a bit of nervousness creeps onto my face. There's a million images flashing through my head of ways this whole thing could end up and every one of them is a way this goes wrong. "It's like I was saying, there's no way this is not gonna be messy as gently caress."

"Like, poo poo. Think about it. If you were in their spot, would you want to hold back? Would you even let yourself be held back?" I narrow my eyes and grimace as I start to imagine everything they must have been feeling. The vivid colors of anger and sadness flash through my minds eye. It's a lot like imagining what it's like to stare into a bright flashlight. "I don't think I would."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

[quote="TheNabster" post="470030101"]

"Then I think we'd be better off just keeping them in one place and not taking them with us if we can't ensure that they won't just attack when they see Pointman."

"Nikolai, we're at a bit of an impasse here, what do you think?"

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

"What else are we going to do with them? They're here now, and," he turned towards Jacob, "If this was Pointman's fault - if Pointman truly did hurt their friend, we can't.. it wouldn't be right to arrest them for trying to bring him to justice." He unconsciously gripped the hilt of his sword, "They shouldn't be punished for our failures." He glanced downwards, and realized in shock what his hand was doing. He let go of the sword and took a deep breath, trying to handle the stress of the situation.

"We could just let them go, I can go do that right now. Make it look like an accident. But.. I don't want to..." He felt horrifically selfish for what he was going to say, "I won't take the blame for them escaping alone. I'll do it, but promise me you'll be with me when Scope does our 'review'" And when Jen sees what we did without her leadership, he almost said.

His eyes shifted from Jacob to Ted, and back again. "If we take the Senshi to the Hound's Pit, then whatever happens, the truth will come out." Probably. "If we let them go right now they'll still be angry and looking for Pointman, but at least they won't be punished for trying to avenge their friend." And wrecking Rat Street. "If we take them to be arrested now, and their friend is still hurt, and Pointman was the one that hurt her, and he gets away --- That's... that's not justice. That's..." His words failed him. Why was this situation so complex? Why was it so hard to be a hero?!? His hand fell unconsciously to his sword's hilt, fingers digging into the metal.

It will take a good argument (or a bad argument and a good provoke) to convince Nikolai to arrest the Senshi now, but he's willing to just let them go if you guys agree to stand on the Scope's firing line with him. If there is some way to defer or avoid this problem, he(I) haven't thought of it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"You're fuckin' right," I look at Nikolai, deadpan. "We shouldn't arrest them. They're not villains, they're just dealing with loving trauma. And throwing them in jail doesn't fix poo poo."

I throw my hood back over my head, and stick my hands in my jacket pockets. "And don't worry about blame. I can take it. You can go keep an eye on Ted and I'll go keep an eye on the prisoners. Then, y'know, go poo poo-talk Glitter Fart some more and turn my back like a dumbass and then bam!" I whip my head forward like I'm being punched. "They're gone."

"I'm probably going to get blamed for that whole Phoenix thing, anyway. So this won't make much of a difference." Well, okay, it definitely loving will. But I'm not going to loving say that. I don't want anybody worrying about me. "Half the teachers already hate me, so who cares if one more does? It's not like I was going to ever get on Scope's good side, anyway."

"So let me take care of it, alright?" I give Nick and Ted a classic troublemaker's grin. "It's easy to blame people like me. When we get back you can just say Jacob hosed it all up."

I should mention that I'll be going on a trip to Japan very soon (Mar 7) so I'll be either not posting or, if needed, posting very briefly for a couple of weeks. (Until the 23rd) And part of the reason I'm suggesting this is that having Jacob split off, then get knocked out or "knocked out" by the Senshi and then probably get a big punishment from the school later might work as a decent way to write him out of the active story for a while. Don't feel like you have to go with it if you don't, though. We could always just have Jacob fade into the background/get separated for other reasons.

Also for this whole thing, I'm going to say that Jacob gives influence to Ted since Ted has been cool and also shared a secret with me. I'd give influence to White Emperor too but he technically already has it from being Runaway. Jacob's opinion of Nikolai has increased, though.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ted opened his mouth to argue with Nikolai and Jacob about just up and letting the Senshis go after everything that they had done and what they were meant to do.

And couldn't bring himself to do it. This was not a random act of destruction, this was a retaliation, as rough and surly as the Senshi's were and how most people wouldn't expect them to have any motive behind this other then 'they were bored', they weren't the perpetrators in this instance for once. Ted didn't like the idea of arresting victims because for crimes they weren't going to commit until pushed, something didn't sit right in the pit of his heart.

And so he sighed and went. "Oh boy I'm not looking forward to this. Alright I will stand up and get shouted at with you two on this one, the circumstances are exceptional enough to warrant it. But if you are going to be explaining it to Scope, which of us two are going to explain this to Phoenix?" He looked at the two of them, Nikolai, personable as he is, would probably be in the bad books for having been given authority and then proceeding to lose their prisoners in the process, and something told him that if Jacob tried to explain the circumstances behind this it was going to end up with someone getting punched.

"Is it gonna have to be me?"

Lucky Ted reluctantly agrees with the plan and will argue no further.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 6, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Jacob.

Jacoooooob.

What a legit dude. Judith had forgotten how cool he was - no, that was wrong. She had never really know how cool he was. It was one thing find common ground with someone in their tastes in music and art; it was another to see them reacting under stress, sacrificing themselves for what they believed was right. Every person on the team wanted to graduate from the Academy and become a hero, well, okay, maybe not Rave, but the rest of them definitely had that dream in their hearts. For Jacob to endanger that dream for the sake of what he holds as right in his heart... Crap, she was starting to tear up a tiny but. She was such a sap about stuff like this. Pull yourself together, girl!

Still, she felt compelled to address Jacob, "We'll tell Scope you hosed up, but it'll be a lie." She waved a hand in the air as if trying to dismissive the unpleasant scene from her mind, "What kind of pathetic hero ignores their own conscience and heart? I haven't seen you make a mistake yet, Jacob."

After that statement of support, Nikolai started to walk quickly out of the alley, "Come on, to the Hound's Pit! We need to move fast."

He threw a quick glance back towards Ted, "As for who will talk to Phoenix, well, that depends on if the information you received was good, or if this whole thing is truly a wild goose. If you got tricked, then I think it's fair you be the one to explain how and why." Nikolai held a gaunt expression on his face for a brief second, before relaxing and letting out a small laugh, "No, no. I joke. She gave me command, and I'll be the one to take responsibility. No matter what, she'll be pissed, but I believe that if we find something out about Pointman she'll understand."

"Although, Ted, the story of how the Senshi escaped might need to be a little... altered..." Nikolai struggled to be polite, "Look. If possible, let me be the one to talk to Phoenix first, is all." Honesty is the best policy. except when you're conspiring to release wanted criminals, then it's somewhat of a bad idea.

quote:

16:51 Scrree Runaway Supports Jacob!
16:51 Scrree !r 2d6+4
16:51 Krysmbot Scrree, 7+4 = 11

Mark that Potential/Shift Labels and enjoy Japan, you beautiful sacrificial lamb of a delinquent!

Moving to the Hound's Pit with Ted for the next prompt.

Choosing to add Team to the pool (from 0 to 1) on a +10 Comfort/Support.

edit: Reminder question for the next prompt - Did White Emp. get Volt's digits???

Scrree fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 7, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

A few minutes before the alleyway talk...

"Oh! Sure!" Volt fumbles a little getting her phone out of her pocket, and gladly shares her number with you, "Th' name's Reiko, by the way! Uh, do ya, like, wanna hang out or something after I get outta jail?" asks the big, bruiser girl, shyly.

White Emp. now has Volt/Reiko's digits! Use it wisely, my friend!

Team 'What Could Possible Go Wrong!?' (Lucky Ted, White Emperor)

Leaving Jacob with the Senshis, you make your to the Hound's Pit. The area around it has managed to avoid the Senshi's rampage, for now, although there's barely anyone there now. When you enter the place, it's about what you'd expect a seedy bar to look like; there's grime everywhere, the floors are sticky, the lighting is dim and moody, and there's a weird smell to the place. It's still the middle of the day, so the place isn't exactly filled with people yet.

In front of you, you see a brawny looking man with short, cropped blonde hair hunched over the bar. He doesn't exactly look like he's old enough to drink yet, and, in closer inspection, you can actually see he's actually drinking a glass of very non-alcoholic milk. In front of the man is the bartender. It looks like they were in the middle of a conversation before you walked in.

The bartender eyes you, "Don't you think you're a little too young to be here?" She asks, raising a suspicious eyebrow at you.

You're pretty sure the guy in front of you might be Pointman, but you're going to have to get through the bartender first.

What do you do?

Lucky Ted

How important is the truth to you? Do you really think you're ready for this? Still, at least you're not alone on this. You have White Emp and Jacob, of all people, backing you up, so that's gotta count for something, right?

What do you do?

White Emperor

This just got a whole lot more complicated, didn't it? What started as a simple "stop the villains!" mission turned into something much more complicated, and maybe a bit more darker. And poor Jacob. It's true he chose to take the fall for you and your team, but the guy is already skating on thin ice as it is, and a stunt like this might get him kicked out of the Academy for good. He'll forever be branded as a gently caress-up, and the only ones who will know the real nobility of his actions will be you, and Ted. Do you think there's anything you can do to help Jacob?

What do you do?

Team 'Let's Make Jen's Life a Living Heck!' (Dynamic Savior: Phoenix, Rave, Lyrebird)

Rave

Firefly drops her bat, and clutches her head in pain. You can see she's practically struggling to keep herself standing up! The pain is almost too much for her to handle, and you can see the fear and confusion in her eyes.

Firefly marks Afraid!

Just when you think you've got the upper hand, you see Firefly raise a shaky arm at you. Her hand starts glowing red, and soon, a stream of hot fire comes shooting out of her hand, engulfing you in flames!

Rave takes a Powerful Blow!

While you're momentarily distracted by the flames, Firefly stumbles back, and attempts to make another run for it.

What do you do?

Lyrebird

That, uh, could've gone a lot better. You stopped right in front of Firefly as she was about to unleash her attack, and get caught in the same flames that were meant for Rave. Owch.

Lyrebird takes a Powerful Blow!

Great, not only is your outfit slightly singed, but she's getting away, again. This whole thing is turning into one, big mess, and it's all because of Jacob. If only he just listened instead of throwing a hissy fit.

What do you do?

Dynamic Savior: Phoenix

You spot Firefly, but that's not the only thing you see. You also see her setting your two teammates on fire, and making a run for it. From your vantage point, you notice she's not running as fast as she usually is. You could probably easily catch up to her now, but you'd have to deal with her fire magic. Still, it's 3 against 1, so dealing with her shouldn't pose that much of a problem, right?

...Wait. Oh God. You just realized you left Jacob with the Senshis! Sure, most of the Senshi might have given up, but that won't stop Jacob from antagonizing them and making the situation even worse! Or do you believe Jacob will actually behave, for once? How much do you actually believe in Jacob right now?

What do you do?

OOC: Have fun and enjoy Japan, Takanago!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

[img]https://i.imgur.com/o9m3t1K.png[[/img]
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: The Hound's Pit

A few minutes before the alleyway talk..

Nikolai added Reiko's number into his phone, "Well, being a student of the Academy does keep me rather busy, but," he looked up, his golden hair sweeping lightly upwards from the movement, "I'm sure I'll be able to find the time." The for you was not spoken, but absolutely implied.

Runaway curses Nikolai's charms, but accepts the digits with a promise to use them only for the most solemn and important of duties.

---

Within the Hound's Pit

As the bartender turned to the pair, Nikolai subtlety elbowed Ted in the back. I'll create an opportunity for you, his body language said.

Then he shifted forward, looking the Bartender straight in the eye, "That's what people tell me. But I tell them, I tell them, back in my home country I was weaned on Vodka!" To Ted, it's obvious that his accent is far more pronounced than usual, "водка!"

"I don't understand why it is so hard to get a drink in this land! How do you people live? Come, take a look," Nikolai began to pull out his ID, "Am I truly not old enough? Back in Belarus, I could drink for years!" He moves again, trying to draw the Bartender away from Pointman, "Please, explain this to me. I do not understand."

quote:

00:50 Scrree White Emperor Provokes the Bartender to distraction!
00:50 Scrree !r 2d6+0
00:50 Krysmbot Scrree, 8+0 = 8
00:51 Scrree good enough!

No matter how the bartender responds Nikolai will act like a deeply confused foreigner, and ask questions like "Sure, sure, I can't buy водка here, but what of beer? That's hardly a drink!" In this manner he will buy time for Ted to approach Pointman.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Danger:-1, Freak:+2, Savior:+0, Superior:+2, Mundane:+0
Potential:2/5, Conditions:Angry, Insecure Location:Somewhere Downtown

No. Unacceptable.

Not the flame based attack, that was to be expected, I had left myself open and I doubted one (perfectly executed) blow would take out someone bolstered by extra-dimensional potency, even if they were foolishly misinterpreting it's source.

The slight charring didn't bother me. At all. I let the primitive manipulation of basic chemistry wash over me like it was nothing, because it was. What bothered me was the interruptions. Lyrebird and Phoenix. Fluttering in out of nowhere like a pair of bonded kusmian fowl. I see that Lyrebird had even taken it upon herself to dress like a Dynamic Savior.

If they were intending for all of us to wear those ridiculous costumes they could forget it.

I was HANDLING this. I didn't NEED or WANT their intrusions or especially their primitive suggestions about how to do things BETTER - which were of course wrong. Most of all, though, this was frustrating because they were clearly going to prevent me from properly getting it out of my system. Now that it was a ridiculous team effort, again. We all know how that went the first time. Just talk, talk talk.

Well no more of that.

<<I HAVE THIS. LEAVE.>> I broadcasted it...loudly...into both of their minds.

And I erected a wall of hard light around Firefly as she attempted to flee. She wasn't leaving. Not until I was finished with her.

<LifeGetsWorser> also taking a powerful blow
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 5+1 = 6

Marking potential

<LifeGetsWorser> Rave's unleashing!
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 7+2 = 9
<LifeGetsWorser> good good

Going to take the Insecure condition, here

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Jennifer’s heart leapt in her chest at the gout of flame erupting from Firefly, tongues of orange flame sweeping over Lyre Bird before the main jet reached out for Rave’s lightshow overhead. For all her speed, Phoenix was too far to intervene. Assuming Lyre Bird’s powers of mimicry were all they were reputed to be, her mock armor should be enough to stand up to Firefly’s assault … assuming that it fit properly and left no gaps for the flame to bypass. Rave she was a bit more worried about, she could siphon off the flickering light, but the heat was the primary threat … had she gotten a shield up in time? If so, how long could one stand up to the Bloodmoon Senshi’s mystically empowered flames?

Either way, it was important to get them out of the line of fire. She felt the catch in her belt shift as she mentally reached to pull more power from the Dynametal in her ‘morpher, revealing the shimmering silver coin before it began spinning, brighter spirals of pink energy leaking out into the corona of her armor. With a flash like lightning, her energized body disappeared for a moment, reappearing just in front of Firefly.

[00:18] <JusticeGrieves> Phoenix moves to Directly Engage Firefly
[00:18] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+2
[00:18] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 6+2 = 8
Phoenix avoids Firefly’s blows.

A white gloved hand caught the back of the Senshi’s head, her own speed accelerating Firefly until she smashed forcefully against the hard light structure Rave had erected around the fleeing Senshi, her brief flash of lightning speed having let her slide over the emerging wall, turning the trap into an impromptu cage match.

<<I HAVE THIS. LEAVE.>> the words boomed inside her skull, forcefully echoing off of the jagged edges of her mind between emotion and memory, laced with resentment and frustration. The words tasted (?) like Rave’s, if that made any kind of sense, a shiver of something wrong running along Phoenix’s nerves as the Dynametal responded to the intrusive message. Jen didn’t have time to examine it though, in a fight between speedsters advantage could shift in a heartbeat.

<Leaving before things are finished is your strategy.> Jennifer’s mind snapped back, telepathic contact bypassing the filter between her brain and mouth with an undercurrent of combat planning. With a high-velocity pivot, throwing her against the opposite wall and shaking her hand free to throw off a shower of glowing embers where Firefly’s burning aura had tried and failed to catch her glove on fire, silvery flecks turning white as the flexible Dynametal replaced its ablative layer of protection. <I’d rather see them through.>

Phoenix dipped her head back to avoid a punch for her faceplate, seeming to slide over the concrete rather than step. A snap kick thudded home into the Senshi’s ribs, prompting a return attack. Phoenix slipped around to the side, her image stuttering before she twisted and drove an elbow between Firefly’s shoulders, staggering her forward towards the wall again.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, that comment about seeing things through reminded her that she’d left in the middle of trying to figure out what Jacob’s damage was … and that she’d left him with three times the number of Senshi she was currently dealing with no less. It would probably be fine, she thought as she deflected a rapid series of punches while backing up. Whatever beef he had with the idea of following her in battle, Jacob was still a hero. He’d said it himself, hadn’t he? He wanted to see Justice done. Surely, there was a limit to how far he’d act out just to spite her. Everything was just fine back with the other Senshi. She had to focus on the fight in front of her.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Whether or not I am ready for this or not doesn't matter what matters is I'm now doing it, and backing out now would look bad for everyone involved. Afterall, sometimes the only way you can find out if someone can swim, is to throw them into the river, you don't know what you are capable of until you actually try it at times.

Ted watched passivly as White Emperor went straight into his routine right in front of him. It was... Well okay it was intentional he knew that, and was obviously supposed to give him an opening to approach their mark but still it was really kind of embarrassing to watch. Good on ya Nikolai, Ted thought, as he slipped into position on the seat next to Pointman.

From Ted's vantage point he could see the mental processes of Pointman at work. It took him a few seconds to realize who the dumb foreigner making a scene actually was - I.E another classmate at the same school he went to and thus someone who he doesn't want to recognize him - another second to realize that maybe he shouldn't be here and to find business elsewhere, so he turned around and-

Ted nodded companionably at his 'friend', and raised a finger. "Don't say anything." He said quietly. "A running man would attract far more attention right now then a talking man, and very dangerous people are currently looking for you, you may not have much time. All I would like to do right now is talk"

"And all I want to know is, what did you do Pointman?"

18:31 TheNabster Hugzilla: Would mask Piercing to try and help my buddy pal friend Pointman out be acceptable?
18:31 Hugzilla Sure
18:32 TheNabster I shall do this then. Mundane +2
18:32 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
18:32 Krysmbot TheNabster, 9+2 = 11
18:32 TheNabster Ye

>How can I get you to not immediately leave or attack and tell me what's wrong?
>What do you intend to do?
>How could I gain influence on you?

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Rat Street

OH GOD FIRE EVERYWHERE I'M GOING TO oh wait, she was wearing magical armor. Stupid-looking magical armor, sure, but apparently it was fireproof — which made the conflagration scary and uncomfortable, but not actually that dangerous.

All right then! Boots on tight, balance regained, scorchmarks alleviating the pinkness of the outfit, Lyrebird was good to go. With three on one, they'd have this wrapped up real quick, then they'd pick up the other three Senshi (and teammates), report in, get heaps of praise, work out a training program to instill some discipline into certain people, flawlessly succeed at their next mission, hold re-elections for leader at some point, and...

<<I HAVE THIS. LEAVE.>>

Ow. The psychic equivalent of a boombox held up against her ear derailed that thought train pretty hard.

"We can hear you just fine, Rave, no need to yell!" Lyrebird yelled. With her voice, not her brain — she was still a bit too dazed to go straight to mindspeak. Man, what was Rave thinking? Normally she'd say something like 'I suppose I'll deign to let you clean up the scraps I left you. I'm a space alien bluh bluh.'

Unless... this wasn't Smug Alien Rave, was it? It was Cranky Teenager Marie. A sight as unusual as it was unwelcome — fully one-third of the team thinking with their hearts instead of their heads. And Rave had way, way bigger potential to mess things up than Jacob did. There had to be a way to get her to play ball, at least for now...

---

Rolls posted:

[19:33.07] <Auraboks> I'm gonna go ahead and take that powerful blow, see if that goes equally well:
[19:33.10] <Auraboks> !r 2d6
[19:33.12] <Krysmbot> Auraboks, 5 = 5

[15:48.45] <Auraboks> Piercing Rave's mask:
[15:48.48] <Auraboks> !r 2d6+0
[15:48.49] <Krysmbot> Auraboks, 9+0 = 9

Marking potential for the blow.

>How can I get Rave to accept our help and work with us?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potential:2/5, Conditions:Angry, Insecure Location:Somewhere Downtown

Jennifer's sassy retort was hardly warranted or desired, but I suppose it is the way of the Terran creature to insult in an attempt to overcome one's own GLARING and OBVIOUS deficiencies which I obviously didn't possess.

Jennifer wouldn't be anything - ANYTHING - if she wasn't randomly selected to put on a ridiculous suit. Sun-hi was a fluke of genetics. I was a SUPERIOR entity - Terrans were good for only one thing and that was infuriating me with their blase natures. How dare this 'Dynamic Savior' deign to think at me in such a manner? The Omnimarch had always, always always always said to beware those who wield Dynametal, but I think it must be more for the purpose of mental wholesomeness than out of any actual danger.

Sun-hi's actual shout was enough to make me turn and affix her with a glare - the wall was up and Jennifer had usurped my opponent just as my opponent had been taken from me earlier so I didn't need to devote any more attention to that - the problem with three-dimensional bodies is that subtlety is impossible - and the emotional variance is quite limited. What I was feeling would have been obvious to more evolved species', but to humans the emotion was simply nonexistent - there wasn't anything that compared to it.

So instead what came across was mounting frustration at being pushed into a corner and relegated to being 'the help' for Phoenix's increasingly obvious need to be the star of the show. Why I allowed her to consider herself the 'leader' of this 'team' was currently beyond me, I assume it had something to do with a certain sort of ennui. None of this should matter to me but her continued indifference in the face everything - all their indifference was truly leading me to an emotion that was many times more severe and elegant than the Terran emotion of aggravation.

What was the point of assisting these creatures if all they regarded me as was some sort of device for them to use until they wanted glory for themselves? Shouldn't I be given my opportunity to do something interesting? This reality was so limited, and now I wasn't even allowed to properly utilize my natural abilities? Letting me express myself properly in the theatre of combat would go a long way towards convincing me this enterprise was worthwhile, but clearly Jennifer would never see that. She was simply too limited.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Team 'Plan Bubsy' (Lucky Ted, White Emperor)

White Emperor

Well, it's working. Kinda. You've got the bartender's attention, and you're giving Ted enough time to talk to Pointman, but it doesn't look like she's buying the whole "confused foreigner" routine, and just sighing and rolling her eyes the whole time you're talking.

"Kid, I've just had a long day," she says, her voice filled with irritation, "Whatever you're trying to pull, it's not funny. Now if you're done messing around, I'm going to have to ask you, very kindly, to please leave."

Oh jeez, the glare she's giving you right now. Something about the way she's glaring at you sends a chill down your spine, and you're not even sure why.

Since all adults have influence on you, bartender lady is using hers to give you the condition Afraid.

She is looking really scary right now, like, scarier than any of the Senshis, and maybe even scarier than that super-mutant wolf thing... somehow.

You're feeling pretty nervous right now, but you can't back down now, can you? Ted still needs a bit more time to talk to Pointman, and you have the (scary) bartender's attention. Do you think you can keep it up long enough for Ted to finish his conversation?

What do you do?

Lucky Ted

Pointman tenses up when you ask your question. He doesn't look at you, instead choosing to stare at his drink. His whole body is shaking, and he's looking very visibly on edge right now.

"...You," he says, his voice low and threatening, "You... should leave."

quote:

>How can I get you to not immediately leave or attack and tell me what's wrong?

Remind him of who he is, and why he joined the Academy in the first place. While he may be rougher than most heroes, he's still a good guy at heart, or at least, he's supposed to be. He also looks like a man who desperately needs help, so you're going to need to convince him that you're here to help him with whatever he's going through.

Gain +1 forward to comforting/supporting Pointman..

quote:

>What do you intend to do?

Run. He wants to run away as far as possible. He'll fight if he has to, but he'd rather run, and keep running, until he can't run anymore.

quote:

>How could I gain influence on you?

Lend him an ear. Listen to what he has to say, and offer him help. As long as you don't go off on him, he'll listen to whatever you say.

What do you do?

Team 'Teen Temper Tantrum' (Dynamic Savior: Phoenix, Rave, Lyrebird)

Phoenix

As the fight goes on, Firefly's attacks become much slower, and easier to dodge. She's clearly fatigued from all that's happened to her, but she continues to push herself to fight, refusing to give up, no matter how dire her situation is looking.

Soon, she stands there, breathing heavily, sweat pouring down her face. Her legs are shaking, and she looks like she's barely able to stand. Firefly goes in for one, last, desperate attack, swinging a slow, easily dodged fist at Phoenix. She misses, and trips, landing face first onto the pavement. "...No..." she says, "...No...!" she cries out, louder this time, pounding an angry fist at the concrete, "I... won't... let... it... end...! Not... not... like... this...!"

She forces herself back up onto her feet, "...A... Blood Moon Senshi... Never gives up," she picks her bat back up, "Not until... the very... end...!" As she finishes her speech, her whole body flares up, surrounding her in bright, crimson flame. She blinks away from sight, and soon appears right in front of you. You manage to dodge her sudden attack in time, but she's become a lot more vicious now. You've heard stories about Firefly being called The Blazing Comet, and you can see why now. You can barely keep up with her!

What do you do?

Rave

Well, would you look at that? Phoenix is having a lot of trouble keeping up with Firefly now. That's what she gets for butting in when you've clearly had this whole situation handled, right? Why don't you show her how a real superior entity would handle this situation?

What do you do?

Lyrebird

Oh, boy. Things are really heating up (Sorry). Between Firefly getting her second wind, and Rave's little temper tantrum, you're not sure what's worse. Either way, it's clear that Rave is getting more and more aggravated at you and Phoenix, especially Phoenix, and there's no telling what she'll do when she gets really mad. How do you plan to handle the whole situation?

What do you do?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ted looked in his eyes expecting, anger, defiance, a seething personal hatred of Ted, something that would make Ted think he had caught someone doing something he shouldn't have done.

He wasn't expecting fear, that kind of cold, shivering fear someone gets when the bottom has nearly fallen out from under their world and they are struggling to keep themselves up right. Ted took a breath, and nodded. "I've come at this all wrong, I apologise. Let me start over."

"Remember that thing you told me when we first met?" He thought about this "Actually no not that one, the second thing you said to me the second time we met and I asked you why do you think I'm doing this hero-ing wrong."

19:17 TheNabster Ted's gonna try and comfort a hardened superhero again
19:17 TheNabster Mundane +2
19:17 Hugzilla Remember the +1 forward
19:18 TheNabster +1
19:18 TheNabster !r 2d6+3
19:18 Krysmbot TheNabster, 6+3 = 9
19:18 TheNabster Good enough

"And I do remember what you said. It was 'Being a hero isn't about doing what people tell you, being a hero is about doing what is right. Even if the whole world is against you and is telling you a wrong is a right or a right is a wrong and they demand that you stand aside, you look 'em square in the eye and tell em 'Hell no.' It's about lending aid even when no one else will, or can. It's about knowing when to put duty above yourself and when to put others above your duty.' And then you told me I was being a flake but I committed it to memory all the same."

"But here I am, flakey fake hero as I am and do you know what I see? I see someone who needs aid that no one wants to give, and I am offering it to you right now, because you really look like you need someone to listen to you right now Pointman."

"What's got you in this state?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 12, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid! Guilty! | Location: The Hound's Pit

The nice thing about playing another person is that, you can act like a fool and not feel like one. Judith knew the real Nikolai was sensitive about his accent. Here she was, though, walking into a random bar and acting like a villain from Red Dawn. It was just another role to play.

At least that’s what she once thought. Now… Judith knew the look the bartender was giving her. It was the same look she so often gave the real Nikolai when she came back from Cafe Blanca. ‘I’m loving tired, and your stupid bullshit is keeping me up’. But the difference was - the difference was that Judith was just a kid, just like Nikolai, but this grown woman glaring daggers into her was a completely different story. If she wanted to, she could – OH gently caress. OH loving gently caress. SHE HAD USED NIKOLAI’S ID AS A PROP. THE BARTENDER KNEW HIS NAME AND EVERYTHING. OOHH FUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

Marking Afraid

Why the gently caress had she DONE THAT? Oh god. Oh noooooooo. If Judith kept up this annoying act, the Bartender might seriously call the Academy and blow the whole thing up. What would Ivanah do if she got a report saying that Nikolai had walking INTO A BAR and acted like a COMPLETE IDIOT. Ruin her only chance to become a hero, that’s what. Sorry, Ted, but it was time to retreat. Time to…

Ted was talking to Pointman, (heh, pretty cute outside that weird black getup), and looked like he was reaching the suspected hero. If Judith retreated now – if Nikolai retreated now, it’d ruin everything. This was what Jacob had sacrificed so much for. She really hadn’t had the time to process what he did for them. Everytime she thought of it, it hurt. Because there wasn’t a non-zero chance that he gets kick out of the Academy, and then, and then---

Judith couldn’t keep pushing the Bartender because she could call the Academy. But Nikolai couldn’t retreat because it would waste Jacob’s sacrifice. There was no way out. There was one way out. It might ruin this poor woman’s day, but…

Marking Gulity, per my 7-9 Unleash Runaway’s Powers roll

Ted! You better appreciate this!!!

Nikolai stepped back, the gig was up. “I apologize. It was a bet, from a friend...”

He stepped back again, “I’ll leave now, again, I’m sorry.”

One more step taken. The distance was perfect. Even if she tried to grab him, it’d be to late. “You know, it was just a praaaaannKkk!” His voice pitched upwards unnaturally, his foot caught on a stool, he tripped. His arm’s flailed upwards, searching for something to grab onto – instead, it was his elbow that connected with the edge of a table.

It didn’t look like he fell very hard, but the sound he made when he hit the table sent shivers into everybody in the bar. Nikolai pushed himself off the floor onto his knees. His right hand holding his left arm, which, at the elbow, was bent in an incredibly wrong direction. “Oh.” He said, “You know, it doesn’t hurt.” Then, he looked up at the Bartender. His face turned an even paler shade of white. “Oh, now it does.” He stumbled to his feet.

In that split second where he was bent over, he looked Ted straight in the eyes, and winked. Please, continue the mission. His message might’ve been communicated, or might’ve been lost. He had no clue. This was all he had.

Nikolai looked at the Bartender, pale face, white lips, “Ah. ah. I’m sorry I--- broke my arm, in your establishment.” He began to move towards the door. “I’ll get, get going to the hospital, I think.” He looked absolutely pitiful. His arm dangled at an angle at least 30 degrees off. No adult with any form of conscience could possibly ignore him.

That was the plan.

quote:

19:28 Scrree Runaway understands that the only way forward, is to go full Bubsy (never go full bubsy (rolling Freak))
19:28 Scrree !r 2d6 -1
19:28 Krysmbot Scrree, 9 -1 = 8
19:28 Scrree GOOD ENOUGH

Runaway is Unleashing Her (shapeshifting) Powers to fake breaking her arm for the mission. She feels incredibly guilty, because this is going to absolutely loving ruin the Bartender's day.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 13, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Phoenix sucked in her stomach as she hopped back, throwing her hands forward to counter-balance the move as the flaming blur of a bat swung for her ribs. She twisted right and leaned aside to avoid a backswing for the side of her skull, a quick backwards somersault carrying her clear over the following swing for her knee. She could feel the heat through her armor, the roar and the haze of Firefly’s aura rendering her a blot of darkness against a blinding light, fire washing over her like waves breaking against the beach in the close confines of the battle ground.

Right when she’d thought this was over, Firefly had pulled out an unexpected reserve of strength. Behind her impassive helmet, Jennifer pressed her lips together in concern. Not for herself, she’d had her fair share of sparring matches with Dynamic Comet after all. The heat and the pressure of fighting someone who could keep up with her were nothing new, even if the moves were different. However, fire, even magical fire had to consume some kind of fuel, and Firefly had been on fumes just a second ago. She could admire the persistence, but she was worried the Senshi was going to do more damage to herself than the team would have done.

She ducked as the Senshi reappeared behind her with a swing for the back of her skull, Phoenix’s breathing even as she threw a back-kick towards Firefly that caught nothing but air. Her eyes couldn’t follow her movement at range, not through the flames, but that was fine. Jennifer let her eyes lose focus, not looking for her target, just taking in her surroundings much the same way they did when she was navigating the multicolored bullet sheets on her handheld console. The twisting patterns of fire around her told her what she needed to know about Firefly’s movements, even if she couldn’t see her.

*CRAKT*

[13:35] <JusticeGrieves> Dynamic Phoenix continues to Directly Engage Firefly
[13:35] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+2
[13:35] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 5+2 = 7
Phoenix will Resist Firefly's Blows

The bat came down into Phoenix’s open palm, shimmering pink energy holding back roaring red flame.

“You’re going to have to burn a lot hotter if you expect your flame to reach a Phoenix, Senshi!” she declared, a sharp kick flashing for Firefly’s midsection. If she was on target, it should drive the air out of her lungs, and hopefully take the fight out of her. If she actually could turn up her powers even higher, Phoenix might have to draw her weapon. The thought of shooting her arrows at a human being, even a magically enhanced one, twisted her guts. The Dynabow was meant to kill monsters, she didn’t think the Senshi deserved that title, whatever they were doing here in Rat Street.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 13, 2017

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: N/A | Location: Rat Street

This was such an inefficient way to fight. There were three of them! Three! But Jennifer was just all over the place. Occupying Firefly, sure, but also blocking Lyrebird and Rave from helping out. This should be a three-way ping-pong match with Firefly as the ball, not some solo squash session with two bystanders. One of whom would probably do something really stupid soon if she didn't get an outlet.

Sun-hi sighed. Fine. The fight was as good as won anyway, might as well let baby have her bottle. It's not like they were in any real danger from a washed-up speedster running on fumes. It shouldn't take more than three thoughts to set up a satisfactory conclusion to this whole farce.

First, getting Phoenix to back off for a moment. If she took out Firefly too quickly... well, that'd be okay too, but then they'd have to deal with Cranky Marie some other way.

<Jennifer. Disengage from melee. Let her stop and think, and she may realize that she's already lost. She won't surrender while you're fighting back.>

Then, stroking Rave's ego a little, prompting her to set up the big finish.

<Rave. Firefly is faster than Phoenix and I, but she isn't faster than your light blasts. You can stop her; just remember she's made of carbon compounds and not exotic space matter.>

She'd have to trust that Rave had at least a basic grasp of human biology at this point. Reminding her what the vital parts were might come off as a bit too condescending. Finally, pointing Firefly at the right target.

<Firefly. You know you're stuck in here with us. Rave can keep that light wall up as long as she needs to — just give up and save yourself the trouble. None of that "until the end" nonsense. Your friends all gave up right away. And are you really any better than them?>

...wait, that last bit was probably a bad idea. She'd been trying to direct Firefly's attention to the fact that Rave was the one keeping her locked in. Calling her friends a bunch of useless screwups had maybe not been the best way to do that? Oh yeah, Firefly was looking angry all right.

Oops. Well, at least she was already inside Firefly's head. That should let her defend herself at least a little, even if Firefly was too fast to for her eyes to keep up.

---

Rolls posted:

[20:19.32] <Auraboks> Provoking Firefly to attack Rave:
[20:19.36] <Auraboks> !r 2d6+2
[20:19.36] <Krysmbot> Auraboks, 3+2 = 5

Hubris! Marking potential, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potential:2/5, Conditions:Angry, Insecure, Guilty Location:Somewhere Downtown

Jennifer was a fool. She had angered multiple entities operating at higher frequency than her, and at least one was not her so-called teammate.

Sun-hi had suggested I simply blast the Senshi in order to end this farce of a combat, but I had a much better idea than that. Of course I did. My mind operated on levels these insignificant gnats couldn't even comprehend. I had let Jennifer distract this one precisely because I intended it to happen this way. Perhaps you thought it was frustration, earlier. Ridiculous. As I said the emotions I experience are vastly more complex than anything a Terran mind would be even remotely capable of comprehending.

These Terrans were useless, simply useless. And I'd prove that, now.

The Blood Moon Senshi was igniting quite a bit of flame. While that normally wouldn't matter on an exterior plane such as this, she was already in three-quarters of a box, trapping her with the Dynamic Savior.

All I did was make a roof. Make the light-construct air-tight. The fire that the Blood Moon Senshi was producing would simply eat the oxygen in their little arena, and the Blood Moon Senshi would pass out.

The fact that Jennifer would probably pass out as well wasn't lost on me. It brought a small smile to my face. So what if she passed out? - collateral damage. She should have thought about that before she dove into my combat.

As the arena sealed up, I turned towards Lyrebird and grinned, a sparkle literally in my eye. "Now we wait. I had this all well in hand to begin with." I explained, perhaps allowing myself a haughty tone that was my due. "Since Dynamic Savior Phoenix decided she HAD to get involved I allowed her her fun, but obviously she is outmatched, so...time to end it."

Perhaps I could have done it in such a way that didn't seal up Jennifer as well, if I really concentrated. But it serves her right.

<LifeGetsWorser> Krysmbot, don't be a jerk
<LifeGetsWorser> Unleashing
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 5+2 = 7
<LifeGetsWorser> UUURGH well ok

I'm taking the Guilty condition to let this work the way I want it to.

• Locked thread