Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

btw thanks for all the posts re: Remnant last night, i did end up grabbing it because it sounds possibly janky in a way that i enjoy, we will see how my laptop handles it or if i need to hide in The Office to give it a shot later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m actually enjoying Greedfall, and I wish more games would offer to teleport you back to the original quest giver at the end of a quest.

Janky as hell game though

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

btw thanks for all the posts re: Remnant last night, i did end up grabbing it because it sounds possibly janky in a way that i enjoy, we will see how my laptop handles it or if i need to hide in The Office to give it a shot later

Let me know what you think of it, I love talkin' 'bout Remnant

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I have an opinion that there is a potential within videogames to improve education engagement and efficiency but it has simply not been done right yet and hope as games get easier to make it can be done.
There are already edutainment games since forever but they are sort of in their own category (and they do work I got better at maths from one) and their are lots of gameafy apps and ideas to help learning too but they are only a tiny piece.
I'm just thinking about how quickly I pick up complex systems and maps from games and how well I learn them so I can recall them easily, I think if that can be properly brought to learning anything you want it would be valuable. Games are fun so they trick your brain into engaging them and repeating them so somehow there should be a way to slip in useful stuff too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Isn't that basically all Zachtronics games?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

All but one of the CoJ games are good (the Cartel blows so bad they don’t sell it anymore) but Gunslinger is excellent.
The first one is good, Bound in Blood is really loving good, but Gunslinger sets out to do one thing and executes it perfectly.

gently caress yeah, Bound in Blood is totally underrated and a really fun game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Flannelette posted:

I have an opinion that there is a potential within videogames to improve education engagement and efficiency but it has simply not been done right yet and hope as games get easier to make it can be done.
There are already edutainment games since forever but they are sort of in their own category (and they do work I got better at maths from one) and their are lots of gameafy apps and ideas to help learning too but they are only a tiny piece.
I'm just thinking about how quickly I pick up complex systems and maps from games and how well I learn them so I can recall them easily, I think if that can be properly brought to learning anything you want it would be valuable. Games are fun so they trick your brain into engaging them and repeating them so somehow there should be a way to slip in useful stuff too.

i have been trying to put together some kind of post about how the weekly Duolingo leaderboards are the most cutthroat PvP experience i've had in ages but have consistently failed to make it funny or interesting, but eh it totally ties into what you're saying here

Barudak posted:

zachtronics games are incredible and yes, every single one that i have played has been ~~~mind-expanding~~~ in bizarre ways, i am frankly convinced that their scenario designer(s) is/are the best teachers the world has ever produced, or, alternatively, some manner of evil wizard(s)

oh man one step from eden looks tight AF as someone who like, played enough of the MMBN games long enough that i could probably convincingly doodle several of the series' navis

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

christmas boots posted:

I’m actually enjoying Greedfall, and I wish more games would offer to teleport you back to the original quest giver at the end of a quest.

I like it too

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I played their game Mars War Logs and it was satisfying for an RPG to be like, 10 hours without turning you into some badass level 80 character fighting a planet destroying god or whatever. It was a nice self contained story with a normalish dude beating rear end with wrenches. I wish there were more short rpgs like that.

I'm gonna play that weird game where you are a pack of apes, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

I think Spiders shot themselves in the foot by positioning Greedfall as the Bioware killer / Bioware's successor, when they clearly don't have the resources for that, and their gameplay formula isn't even all that similar.

The game's good, but I also liked Technomancer, so take it for what it's worth.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

steinrokkan posted:

I think Spiders shot themselves in the foot by positioning Greedfall as the Bioware killer / Bioware's successor, when they clearly don't have the resources for that, and their gameplay formula isn't even all that similar.

Yet it's a better game than most bioware games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

steinrokkan posted:

i wanted to like technomancer but that poo poo just felt like eastern european mass effect

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Yeah they are great but I feel like that's just a tiny fraction of what could be done. Their games are puzzle games and a bit heavy to get into, if it could be more subliminal so it could fit into something that just looks and plays like a game. For example and this is a real thing already, a space game can model all the planets and moons and their relative positions, now if the player is flying back a forth through the solar system playing their fun space game at the end you could expect them to be able to recall which planet is which and their main moons. That's an accidental educational feature which lots of games have but if it could be done more intentionally there is potential.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a game called Heavens Vault where you solve puzzles by learning a foreign language and its an imaginary language and not a real one and feels like such a huge missed opportunity.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Flannelette posted:

yeah, im a teacher and i think its very frustrating that more isn't done with this concept. i mean i learned english almost entirely from games before i even really got english education from school. what if id had a game that taught me math by giving me concrete uses for the math in the game or something? i was relatively good at calculus and averages and probabilities (and economics) compared to like trigonometry, maybe because i'd been using that a lot in management games at the time. games, unlike textbooks or audio courses, give you an immediate goal for something you learned so theyre in theory really effective for learning how to apply knowledge

a lot of educational games from the 90s kind of hosed up by just giving you problems to solve without really incorporating them in the game. i recall i played some MSX game in school where you flew a UFO around some caverns, and occasionally you had to open a door and itd be like 9X + 5 = 41 SOLVE FOR X, but that puzzle had nothing to do with the gameplay itself, it's not like you needed calculus to fly the UFO around. language learning games were kind of similar, they were usually just platformers where you collected items with words on them or something, but the knowledge wasn't really part of the game itself. link's awakening and gargoyle's quest were way better for learning a language, because there you actually need to understand what's being said to solve problems

there should be a whole bunch of games dedicated to teaching people specific skills, but i see very few of them, or at least few good ones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One time I got out the manual for an educational game and got the default teacher password to set the difficulty to lowest

Problem is that they usually treat the educational elements like phone games treat ads- an obstacle to getting back to the gameplay. Some of the better ones incorporate stuff like math equations into the gameplay with puzzle designs and such.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Barudak posted:

There is a game called Heavens Vault where you solve puzzles by learning a foreign language and its an imaginary language and not a real one and feels like such a huge missed opportunity.

theres another obscure one like this called solo crisis (made by quintet), it's a tactical RPG where you fight seemingly monstrous enemies who speak a fictional language but as you play you begin to learn the language and realize that theyre not actually monsters and theres a plot twist. its a good concept but itd be nice if this was done with a real language too

the problem i guess is that you do need some kind of help or support, or the game needs to be structured in such a way that theres a lot of context. for example: learning a language through a game works if your native language is english and the target is french or something, you can just go in cold and probably figure most of it out through context. but that wouldn't work for chinese so you'd still need some actual rote memorization or other task to figure out what all of the characters mean. of course nowadays a lot of language learning apps exist that are "gamified" to make it easier to keep going at it

i think its inherently easy to teach things that depend highly on visual knowledge and facts through games though. like geography is super easy to learn through games, history is too, even chemistry could work as a game

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

oh man one step from eden looks tight AF as someone who like, played enough of the MMBN games long enough that i could probably convincingly doodle several of the series' navis

One Step From Eden is super good. I don't like deck building games, but they do a super good job at making sure there is plenty of interaction otherwise to keep it interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

i think its inherently easy to teach things that depend highly on visual knowledge and facts through games though. like geography is super easy to learn through games, history is too, even chemistry could work as a game

I think it's no coincidence that those first two are some of the biggest themes of Carmen Sandiego games.

Do they still make those? I remember one in school that was like a quiz show setup, with multiplayer and various cartoon robots as the 'hosts'. They'd probably make bank on Steam and/or phones. Adjust the difficulty up and down and have party modes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I pretty fondly remember old school adventures games working really well when I was a kid. They just made the puzzles... actual puzzles and not adventure game logic nonsense. There was a where in time is carmen sandiego one and the xth grade adventures as well.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I went looking for Carmen Sandiego for my kids, and the most modern one was a crappy Win XP/ME version that handheld you through the whole game, like an interactive movie rather than classic Carmen. Found an abandonware copy of the last DOS version, from 1991, and other than some outdated geography they love it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FoolyCharged posted:

I pretty fondly remember old school adventures games working really well when I was a kid. They just made the puzzles... actual puzzles and not adventure game logic nonsense. There was a where in time is carmen sandiego one and the xth grade adventures as well.

I remember people being really mad about the puzzles in one of the discworld games

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i liked the discworld game for being weirdly obtuse, it also just had good graphics

i know all of the towns from a particular area of wales and cornwall because i always played the same map in TTD that was centered on that area

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

d3lness posted:

One Step From Eden is super good. I don't like deck building games, but they do a super good job at making sure there is plenty of interaction otherwise to keep it interesting.

I didn't like how crazy fast the game felt. It scratched the mmbn itch, but I like loading up chips every round and plinking away, where one step from eden was too hectic and I didn't pay attention to what was coming in so much as hammering the "use card" button

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's no coincidence that those first two are some of the biggest themes of Carmen Sandiego games.

Do they still make those? I remember one in school that was like a quiz show setup, with multiplayer and various cartoon robots as the 'hosts'. They'd probably make bank on Steam and/or phones. Adjust the difficulty up and down and have party modes.

gently caress you for making this earworm pop back up in my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EIUP8tvbE

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oberndorf posted:

I went looking for Carmen Sandiego for my kids, and the most modern one was a crappy Win XP/ME version that handheld you through the whole game, like an interactive movie rather than classic Carmen. Found an abandonware copy of the last DOS version, from 1991, and other than some outdated geography they love it.

Mario is missing is another pretty fun very educational game.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Well at least you're in the right thread I guess. Mario is Missing was one of the most disappointing moments of my childhood.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its mario for christ sake you think they could have thrown a platform or two in there to jump on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

but he's missing, you see

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The Year Without A Mario

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m mr heat bowser

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually crazy thing is the Luigi's Mansion games are the modern update to Mario Is Missing

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually crazy thing is the Luigi's Mansion games are the modern update to Mario Is Missing

this....huh. i mean you’re not wrong. but weren’t the Mario is missing games put out by MECCA or something and not nintendo?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

PinheadSlim posted:

Same. This thread is far superior to the video game chat thread in the games subforum.

I'll miss you dorks, also all 3D platformers are bad. All of them, even the one you're thinking of. Especially that one.

I thought this was good, but then again I was a dumb kid.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

duolingo is the best video game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

duolingo is the best video game

My job sucks, I keep leveling up but everything has level scaling

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oberndorf posted:

Netflix are putting out a chose your own adventure movie similar to Bandersnatch soon and that'll probably be fun. You get to decide to enter from the rooftop or sewer when breaking into someplace and such.

Oh and speaking of Spiders, I've hated anything from them that wasn't Greedfall. That said, Of Orcs and Men has an amazing themesong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-WdBsy24hM

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

The shop prices scale but the quest rewards are static. Who designed this poo poo?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

you're being facetious but duolingo's weekly leaderboards are straight-up the most insane cutthroat poo poo and i love it, a lot, and strongly support duolingo's mission of free education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

you're being facetious but duolingo's weekly leaderboards are straight-up the most insane cutthroat poo poo and i love it, a lot, and strongly support duolingo's mission of free education

Yeah, but somehow someone ends up with 10k xp in one day and how the hell are you supposed to compete with that. It’s stressful enough just staying in diamond league.