Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Call Of Duty has been complete dogshit since CoD 2. Not Modern Warfare 2, but the WW2 shooter, Call Of Duty 2. Bungee sucks rear end. Blizzard has been total poo poo since the activision merger and hasn't shipped a product worth the packaging it comes in since The Burning Crusade. Bioware sucks and hasn't made a dece game since Mass Effect 2. People who play RPGs to gently caress aliens or mod skyrim to have dicks and titties are creepy and lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

you fail to realize that cod3 was a complete shitshow of great loving fun

I played it on the wii and it was real, real bad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i hope bethsoft licenses a Fallout spinoff to Obsidian again, because the gulf in quality between F3 and F:NV was frankly loving ridiculous. The worst part of F:NV were the things they couldn't get rid of from F3, like old assets and the game engine itself.

I liked skyrim though. Yeah its a very stupid, poorly written game but it's maybe the best world bethesda has ever constructed.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Agreed that Majora's Mask is the best zelda.

b-b-b-but the time limit!
:qqsay::qqsay:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

voiced RPGs are fine as long as they're not sandbox RPGs. If you try to be a sandbox exploration game like fallout, it's a dogshit world shrinking bad idea done for people who are absolutely the most retarded demographic within games players, the ones who are averse to reading things.

however if you're going for something more story driven, voicing works fine. See, The Witcher 3.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pick posted:

DA2 doesn't flagrantly waste your time like Planescape Torment.

Liking DA2 is indeed an unpopular opinion, because it's hot poo poo garbage. It's a borderline troll opinion.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pick posted:

Again, and this is not a joke, and I have six years of expressing this option VERY clearly, I believe it is the greatest video game ever made.

Im going to throw you off a loving bridge

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

soul calibur 2 is the best fighting game ever made and there's no need to pretend otherwise.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Disproportionation posted:

EALA made better C&C games than Westwood.

please dont troll

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tenspott posted:

DA2, much like the Empire Strikes Back, was initially derided when released but will eventually get the recognition it deserves as the best of the series.

Yeah i can see how copy pasted level design, assets probably cobbled from cancelled games, and dismal story and writing just needs time to age like a fine wine

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune is a better RTS than Warcraft
Command & Conquer '95 is a better rts than Warcraft 2
Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun is a better RTS than Starcraft
Red Alert 2 is the best RTS ever made
Command & Conquer 3 is better than Starcraft 2.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if video games were food, Blizzard-Activision makes rice mash and other toddler-friendly foods. D3 was no exception and they didn't make it better at any point, the changes they made just shifted it into a different kind of lovely.

Activision and public shareholders are the worst things that ever happened to Blizzard.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually you just gave me fuel for the one I'll defend whole heartedly: Command & Conquer -> Starcraft hard.

StarCraft is popular among people who want to play some kind of psychotic memory game of specific build-orders and think they are super-pro-awesome because they punch keys really fast.

C&C is an actual strategy game, esp. Red Alert 2 and Generals. Generals: Zero Hour is also hands down the best RTS ever made. A little cleverness and out of the box thinking could gently caress build-order l337s.

Hell even for MORE unpopular opinion, I think C&C 4 could have been a great game had the level up poo poo not been rushed and it wasn't a C&C game. Swap the C&C stuff out with, say, TF2 stuff and have Valve release it and people would have thought it's gameplay was fresh and interesting. But it did suck as a sequel so I can agree to that.

ED: C&C3 had major issues and it's expansion broke the game so I will agree with anyone who says that overall sucked.

the problem was that EA had a cancelled game on their hands, in the form of a very bad idea intended for the asian market. Most of the assets and code were built apparently, and EA clearly has a problem with just letting go, unable to accept that some game concepts just aren't meant to be. They slapped a bunch of C&C branding on there and paid Joe Kucan to Kane it up in front of a green screen for 20 mins or w/e, then released a product that has apparently poisoned the franchise.

and EA just can't stop trying to inject a bunch of f2p bullshit because the reason the new C&C Generals game also failed was because players more or less revolted in the alpha as they started adding changes that moved it towards some cash shop bullshit.

EA these days only wants to make games you can complete or enjoy after investing in a bunch of frivolous horseshit that costs a couple times more than the base game and tbh im glad they're not touching C&C anymore since their intent with it is clearly straight up malevolent and anathema to what a RTS really is.

Also Red Alert 3 loving suuuuucked and the cutscenes including some cool people could not change that. Building the campaign around co-op? really? go gently caress yourself EA.

im salty about EA now and forever.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

I prefer the GDI/Nod setting to the Red Alert one but I will admit that Red Alert 2 is the superior game.

same. red alert 1 is a functionally better game than c&c 95 and RA 2 is a functionally better game than tiberian sun, but gently caress me if i still prefer the tiberium games.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CD Projekt red streamlined crafting a lot after they released Blood & Wine. It's maybe the most painless crafting system in RPGs right now. Fallout 4's is the worst. It's cool in theory to be modding guns and stuff but in practice bethesda can go gently caress itself with all that hunting for adhesive and high-end parts.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I disagree usually, but for Fallout 4 tgm for basebuilding and I built a script to max out weapon and armor parts.

I shouldn't have to do that for a crafting system to be functional imo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the basebuilding in particular is very obviously bethesda stapling a kind-of cool Fallout 3 mod in order to pad the content of the game.

That said I really like weapon modding and stuff, that's really well done, but it's also a cop-out way for them to make distinct items without putting a bunch of man hours into making actual content.

I paid for it brand new, and I shelved it for a while to play Witcher 3, a better game imo, but I ended up playing F4 quite a bit, and I can't say I regret it. It has a lot of problems but if you like Fallout games it's just fine. Bethesda shouldn't have voiced the protagonist and the plot is garbage, but there's a fun but flawed game in there.

Luckily the worst part - the basebuilding - is totally optional save for one brief lategame moment.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you like fallout games you shouldn't skip Fallout 4, but the dlc is pretty lame. I bought Automatron and I regret it, I watched someone play Far Harbor and it looked terrible. Haven't seen Nuka World but there's no way it broke the mold

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

#1: They were working on a post-apocalyptic game that focused on settlement building, but half-way through they realized it was so similar to fallout that they made it part of the fallout universe

#2: They hamfisted in settlement building to go along with the "survivalist" fad in videogames right now (AKA minecraft, ARK, those other survival games everyone plays now)

#1 isn't likely since they literally just ripped off a Fallout 3 mod for the F4 stuff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

I like pay to win aspects in games. I am old; I have a lot of money but not a lot of time to waste what with family, career, travel, etc. Let me buy gold in your dumb MMO.

you are a loving pox on anyone who understands the value of their money/doesn't have enough of it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

phasmid posted:

Did you know that, according to Dante Alighieri, you will be locked inside of a smoldering crypt for all eternity?

before he goes, he'll spend the rest of his life in guantanamo with a food tube up his nose. nobody is allowed to talk that positively about da2

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

does anyone actually read the hundreds of in-game books/scrolls/notes etc. that you find lying around in wrpgs

TES-sized :words:? no, no, never. WItcher style blurbs yeah. Fallout stuff is usually audio so yeah

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Overwatch styles itself like TF2, and mechanically disguises itself as any kind of team shooter of that vein, but in reality a lot of places where things like skill, gameplay, and fun exist in a game like Team Fortress 2, it has been instead turned into a lovely skinner box that makes even the dumb idiot who went 0:30 feel special. In fact it goes far enough to make him feel special that it's probably nearly impossible to get 0:30 without the game giving you a free kill somehow. It's a sad reflection of gaming in general, and the distilled essence of what made WoW lovely: It's not a game where you 'earn' recognition by playing the game well, you earn it by mouthbreathing for enough hours, being made to feel special enough to sink your dumb loving wallet full of idiot dollars with your fat loser fingers into pudgily typing in the credit card number for the nth time to buy cosmetics and generally imagine spider-girl's fat rear end getting pumped in the 70gb overwatch folder you've got to fap with between/during matches.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bioshock infinite is actually a good game. It's Bioshock with better environment design, dimension hopping, and making GBS threads on conservatism, xenophobia, and nostalgia for the past. Plenty to enjoy there. Bioshock 2 is loving awful. It's just bioshock, except Rapture is even more broken I guess? an excuse to reuse all of the assets, and the plot was essentially a dumb and angry response to Ken Levine's pretty ruthless takedown of objectivism and libertarianism.

Basically a copy paste of the first game but with an overarching theme of "WHAT ABOUT COMMUNISM???"

Garbage game i'm glad I never paid for it.

Infinite wasn't the best game ever but I sincerely enjoyed it and there's no reason it takes the amount of poo poo it has been subject to.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

As a nerd growing up you have to learn to avoid certain communities, and a true friend will pull a person aside and save their friend, if they notice a taken interest in fighting game tournaments, or competitive card game tournaments, or honestly any nerd thing + tournament

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

what if its a racing sim tourney? those are pretty cool but im also completely biased and am a sucker for racing sims.

does it attract mal-adjusted people with broken disordered brains that will attack you when they lose?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

left 4 dead was good when it was new, but a rushed out sequel that was barely a badly balanced expansion and the fact that a semi-dynamic AI and asymettrical pvp doesn't make the game fun the millionth time. I know nearly every map so well that even though i havent played it in years i could probably jump in like i never left. I wouldn't play it again, but it was a pretty unique and cool game at the time, and I still have a shirt and swag from playing it at quakecon back in 2007.

most of the genre is really bad. I regret buying day z and project zomboid

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ss13 would be better if the people who played it werent objectively the worst kind of goon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Quake 4 was good.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

in F4 i think the railroad is supposed to be the clearcut good choice, but their morals are placated on the idea that androids are human, when they're factually not. You can watch the human-like ones being assembled. They're made specifically to increase the limited labor pool of the institute, and that's basically it. The institute is dumb for needing realistic synths for whatever reason, but the railroad is dumber for making the liberation of androids their hill to die on, and it makes bethesda really dumb for thinking that making the good guys idiots and the "bad" buys a bunch of well meaning nerds fully intent on improving life on the surface for humans, and the Brotherhood Of Steel East Coast Division having clearly reverted to their roots of morally grey militaristic technology hoarding, are the closest thing to an organized overt bad guy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

lol @ people discussing fallout 4 to this degree like bethesda put that much thought into it

i know reading as much as what i posted is asking too much, in all sincerity, but my post is basically pointing out the obvious and kind of criticizing bethesda. can't speak for everyone else but i'm not terribly happy with how Bethesda writes morality when Obsidian and CD Projekt Red consistently show them up.

It's still fun to talk about because I haven't done a BoS or Railroad run yet, and maybe they flesh out enough to justify their stupidity, but the BoS seems straight up fascist and the railroad so incredibly misguided that I kind of can't believe bethesda missed the mark so hard

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

someone gave me a free ARMA key, and i redeemed it, but i have never installed it or played it, ever. Is it worth my time? I don't mind tactical stuff but im not super thrilled about it, and i know that's arma's shtik. is there a fun game underneath the tryhard nonsense?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

bethesda needs to stop trying to tell stories. their strength is creating big fantasy world simulations, not linear stories. i put many hundreds of hours into the elder Scrolls games going back all the way to Daggerfall, and i have never bothered to beat a single one of them. the "main quest" was always the most boring aspect!

if Bethesda wants to make a good Fallout game they should do a procedural map of the entire wasteland United States, and fill it with randomly generated bandit factions and cities. let everyone explore their hometown as the wastelands. maybe throw a story somewhere off in the corner, but dont put too much effort into it.

If they do that they really badly need to be joint ventures with better storytellers. New Vegas is a legitimately good fallout game where the story is the main draw
The New Vegas thread in games is still active with tons of discussion with ropekid/josh sawyer sharing his thoughts since he was a senior or lead game designer on it. People still talk about and argue about which sides and stories are the best, not merely the least lovely.

I get what you're saying and TES works as a cumulative experience most of the time.(excrpt pblivipn straight up sucks except maybe a few dark brotherhood moments), but fallout deserves to be more than "elder scrolls, but post apocalyptic retro futurr"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just have arma 1 and no intention of paying for anything soon except maybe contributing to the pillars of eternity 2 fundraiser if they do slacker backer

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Liking blizzard rts is a popular opinion. The correct and unpopular one is that all blizzard games are total poo poo but what they did to RTS with warcraft 3 has been completely dogfucking the entire goddamn genre for 15 fuckin years.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

dawn of war 1 is really good. Dawn of War 2 was an exercise in "what if we just fukken copied warcraft 3 and axed basebuilding and basically macro actions alltogether lmao?"

i dont have anything bad to say about coh1 but coh 2 is the same stupid poo poo.

The ideal RTS is #1. Super hammy cutscenes #2 a game built around the single player campaign. the campaign is more important than any retarded multiplayer poo poo #4 it needs to be made by westwood studios

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had that until my dad gave it a huge data destroying mark on the data side of the disc and we never found it in stores again. I remeber it being awesome

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

CoH and Dawn of War were definitely good though. RTS's are good, and it's great when there are more onboard.

I think one of the reasons RTS's are so unpopular lately is because they are just so challenging that it creates anxiety. Also that they are largely centered around 1v1's is an issue because the number 1 response for a losing gamer is "blame teammates".

In the cold 1v1 ladder of SC2 ladder, you come face to face with your innermost flaws...

It's not that it's too hard or anxiety, it's just that starcraft style multiplayer where the only way to not be poo poo on is to follow a meta, follow strict fast build orders and work on tolerating and being good at doing the most tedious poo poo in the game, making sure you know what a patch change is going to change for you, outweighs any satisfaction from a victory. It's tedium. A good campaign is so important because I don't care about online competition at all. At all. I'm not 15 anymore, and I don't give a poo poo about a KD ratio or ranking10 plat in season 1 1v1. It's just straight up not fun. It's not fun in a blizzard game, or a relic game, or even a C&C game. Know what's fun? Invading america and levelling the pentagon with a horde of soviet conscripts while the obviously evil psychic and buffon premier congratulate you on your victories.

Having to look up and read things because you're getting dick stomped by lovely lame but totally legit strategies like 6 pool and 2 raxx that require a precise response to actually recover from and not lose immediately or in 5 minutes, is nothing any normal person will ever want to learn

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

this but unironically.

we really need a 4X Dune game. Would love a paradox game about the Landsraad.

This would own, like a scaled back Stellaris with grand strategy on the central arakkis map and the homeworlds of the great houses. You can also play as the fremen

the only issue i see is how long it would play from the reign of Shaddam IV to the defeat of the honored matres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Season 1 there was only briefly a special snowflake rank over diamond and you saw cheese well into diamond. I dont gove a gently caress about the game beyond this and literally the majority of people dont either, this was the window blizzard had to make people give a poo poo.

In starcraft yes literally just mastering build orders would statistically let you win enough for platinum rank and apm+ability to scout/react/adapt would put you in diamond. This means unit management and timely expansions and micro comes into play but it's a natural, miserable progression and you dont notice it. It takes a masochist or a sadist to keep doing it for fun and a delusional or desperate bastard to have mlg dreams but thats the only reason to keep improving since the game is straight up negative fun well before that level of play.