Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I remember a really good feeling in deus ex human revolution was where I'd developed my character to have the icarus mod as well as decent cloaking. That scene where you're in those capsule-like apartments within that building and it gets raided and you have to get out? I just cloaked, icarus'd directly down that open lobby/atrium area from the 3rd floor, and left undetected.

I checked strategy guides afterward and didn't even see that listed, which really drove home the charm of the original, which is "I really CAN approach situations any way I'd like and can conceivably succeed without the game breaking or punishing me" and even though I never ended up completing the game, it remains one of my fondest gaming memories, though I'm about 5 years perpetually behind anything modern because my PC is never high end for contemporary games so I end up playing the "classics" much later, and for much cheaper, which I'm fine with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

The Black Mesa remake is awful though.

It is? I thought it was just a graphical overhaul. It looked pretty neat; what did you find awful about it?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

There's a few things but the worst parts are that they made the tentacle boss AI worse, and they removed the ichtyosaur's roar. Those were the best parts of the game and they hosed up.

Well alright but there's a ton of pretty rad game built around those moments though I agree that those changes you mentioned don't sound so hot. Maybe you're being too critical and should relax and be a little more forgiving for the dev's sleepless nights and unpaid labor making this remake, who did it all, selflessly, for YOU. :mad:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Yeah, I have a physical copy of Call of Pripyat that I found in some bargain bin years ago and played the regular version for a few hours but just couldn't get into it, even though FPS RPGs or whatever the term one would like to use are absolutely my favorite types of games (Prey was amazing).

I'd really like to give it an honest try, though, so what mods would ya'll suggest for a new player who's familiar with most of the shared mechanics of system shock/prey/etc already? Again, I just have a standard retail version right now.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

poverty goat posted:

This won't change the core gameplay much but will look pretty nice for a game from 2009

Good deal, thanks!

I'm looking at the Remake one. Is that decent?

I'll also head on over to the games thread. Thanks for the info.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Are video games good or are they bad

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Hurry up I have to get to get to the podium for my Ted talk

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I know this is the video game thread but tons of gamers are also huge comic book nerds so in that sense, my thing is that I CANNOT ever get over people who call comic books "books"

I've been reading or hearing it for years and I've never gotten used to it at all, in fact I would go so far as to say I hate it

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Probably the Aaaah! Real Monsters SNES game. Platformers where the character is animated like a cartoon character rather than a videogame character kind of suck in general, and this was a particularly lousy one.

But what was that early comic book game, I think for Genesis, that was actually pretty rad?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Man I beat max Payne 3 a few months ago when it was on sale and it's really a lot of fun, plus the gunplay in it is top notch, let me be John woo in a police station. I could live without the cutscenes but overall the tone of it was pulpy and good and fun and HEALTH did the soundtrack too

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Rutibex posted:

yes. you are not supposed to win Rimworld, just experience different and unique kinds of horrific colony failure

X.. X-com?!?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Bulletstorm was obviously aping Gears and such with overblown masculinity and cursing and it's very linear but it also was a fun FPS and I liked it

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I know sandboxes and open worlds have been discussed but Far Cry 3 was one of the best ones ever

please no one derail the thread by talking about Far Cry 2 , it's so divisive

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Khanstant posted:

MD was dogshit about acknowledging your actions. You can walk into a high security bank, rob it blind, break all the glass, disable/destroy cameras, leave open high security vaults, knock out an entire floor of guards, employees, and security bots and nobody notices. Come back after travelling the world a little, everyone there still asleep and place torn to hell.

I dunno, all of that sounds pretty sick, minus the obvliviousness of the game post-destruction

I liked deus ex HR but all of the complaints itt are valid in my opinion

I bought deus ex MD when it was on sale but I can't really run it :(

The biggest crime in the deus ex series is that they overshadow Prey, one of the best games made in the last 5 years, woefully marketed (if any)

Prey has great sound design and I know there's some criticisms about the plot but it's just hella good all around

It's the only game I've played through from the start multiple times. I'm in my 3rd play through now and it's still showing me new things. One of the strongest things about Prey is the obvious care and attention to design that's present in multiple parts of the game

In particular, so many games crow about how their game responds to your choices and how you can do so many different approaches to a problem, but Prey comes through on that in spades. You can even gently caress off early in the game if you want. It's dope, I love Prey very much thank u for reading

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

hello thread after talking about Deus Ex HR I started playing it again from the start but in NG+

I just don't think i'm having as much fun with NG+, like I'm roaming around the first mission but I think it strips away a lot of the fun, what are ya'll's thoughts on NG+ playthroughs, do some games do it WELL or is it NOT FUN in other games, please provide examples and cite your sources

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

ng+ is best on super mario bros. and super mario land

surely you're not talking about the NES one

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

hell yes

playing through the hour-long game again with upgraded enemies is much better than e.g. persona 4/5 where you play through the entire drat 90 hour game again but with access to all your OP poo poo so none of it matters anyway

what

super mario bros for the NES has a NG+ mode????

edit: i just looked this up, what the gently caress, how did I not know this?!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Lodin posted:

Oh obviously. I just find it strange that it's seldom brought up. Not like it's underappreciated because I've seldom seen anyone have anything really negative to say about it. I suspect that years from now it will end up being looked fondly on like your Deus Ex or System Shock 2.

It's like the only game I post about, it's fantastic

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Has there ever been a good dog simulation game?

Besides dog mode in ROTT

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Barudak posted:

The game "A Dogs Life" which accurately models what its like to be a dog like digging holes, pooping on things, and pushing humans into meat grinders to avenge your fallen comrades.

Woah

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Max Payne 3 really is a lot of fun. I know the load times can be a little rough and the essential distillation of the game is cutscene shoot cutscene shoot but the shooting is SO GOOD. And having checkpoints you can reload later to replay some of the better scenes just owns bones. It has a ton of atmosphere and, as has been said, the HEALTH soundtrack is great as well. The shootouts at the graveyard, airport, and like a bunch of other ones are all terrific.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

!Klams posted:

Oh poo poo, HEALTH did the sound track? Ok picking it up tonight.

Don't expect health style though except in a few certain parts of the game, though it REALLY works, too.

Edit I'm listening to slaves of fear right in fact! Mmm, sleek chrome sleazy decadent punishing nihilism

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It makes me wonder if HEALTH play a lot of video games, because it’s one of the few pieces of game music that really feels like it was written for a game instead of being rejected score for a film. I also like that the intro to the song just kind of loops during the actual shootout until Max starts properly running into the corridor and dropping bodies.

well yeah, they composed the soundtrack directly for the game. It's not a song borrowed from their catalogue, this was dedicated music from the band.

I like HEALTH a lot but some people get a little rattled if they go earlier in their discography, when they were far more abrasive and lacked the chops that they have now. I like both and there's a time and a place for a squall of noise, but I just like the blend of hooks plus noise that they settled into.

HEY if ya'll like noise and rock, check out Parts and Labor's "Mapmaker", one of my absolute favorites albums released that year. Not as electronic, more organic noise and such, but they're a hoot.

Sorry about posting about music in the game thread

edit: gently caress this was already responded to twice! God DAMMIT gently caress poo poo

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Edit: oh I was thinking of terminal velocity which also owned hard at the time

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Salt and Sanctuary is the dark souls meteoidvania kind of thing some people might like

The first time I played it was with a friend, dual co-op and it was hella fun, then I recently did a single play through and it's still good, give it a shot

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Hey so I downloaded dead cells and I'm not into it

I got Strider and it looks awesome and I like it

And I just got hollow knight and it's fine

I want a game with xp and skill trees and leveling up and stuff, like after I beat salt and Sanctuary I wanted something similar but I CAN'T FIND IT HELP

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

This Strider?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK8ZzfCZjNw

I played it on an arcade machine and I think both console versions.

It was dope on MAME too.

That one is the classic one, I played that in the arcades so much but it was so difficult

but the one I'm talking about is the remake from 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtcvSnu7CLE

If you ever played the Bionic Commando remake (not the 3D one, but the remake of the original, still a sidescroller but it looked beautiful), a lot of the same people worked on it and it shows, it looks great and it captures a lot of that strange vibe of cartwheeling into some giant area where you fight some bizarre thing screaming Russian at you

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

jokes posted:

The 3D one looks significantly less fun, but pretty I guess. Were they trying to make an atmospheric platformer? The original seems SUPER hectic.

the original is, for sure. This version isn't atmospheric, I suppose, but it does have some areas that seem just on the cusp of looking really great, like a portion where you're in a residential/business downtown area. Lots of same-y colors and such, but it's not about hyper realism as much as it is being close to something you know but not quite. Again, there's just this weird vibe from the original that REALLY made it stand out in the arcades, some parts were just so strange but it was undeniably cool. Lots of us kids just hadn't seen anything like it yet, and while it wasn't some colossal hit, I took a liking to it pretty quickly and played another version on Genesis a few years later and then just thought I'd never hear about Strider as a sidescroller ever again outside of the main character's appearances in Capcom fighting games. And then pow, here it was.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

It really was a cool game, it introduced genuine vertical and diagonal gameplay in a new way and some of the scenery and bosses were v cool for the time.
The remake hits the spot now and then but fails as well in parts for me. I didn't remember much running around grey corridors in the original and in the remake it seems to be a big feature.
Still cool though, I do like it, just not as much. I think in the early 90s it was easier to come out with a game that wowed everyone, that's much more difficult now.

Absolutely! I remember being very into even the demo part of the arcade cabinet that would show game play before you put in coins, when it would show that giant robot gorilla boss

This remake is too many gray corridors but I remember the point where I stopped playing it carefully, inching along and slicing things, and instead just cartwheeling put into big areas and waiting to see what it would throw at me.

It's a fun trip nostalgia wise but I do think the better remake in the same vien was the bionic commando one, which if anyone liked that NES game would do well to get, it looks great, doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, and the music is straight up BANGIN'

Now I'm thinking about picking up streets of rage 4,is it decent? I loved the previous ones, SOR2 4 lyfe play SOR2 erry day

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

OK I bought it and also got a controller for my PC which I've never ever done in my history of lightly gaming but after playing a lot of these side scrollers lately, it's become clear that mouse + keyboard, while vastly superior to controllers for FPS games, isn't quite as good for these dang platform hippity hop castlevania metroids

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I got Dead Cells on sale because I heard very good things about it and like that art style when it's done well, I tried to play it for 30 minutes and hated it

Then I went back to it a few days later and now I've put something like 40 hours total playtime into it, it's great

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I don't know if it's passed, but there was a really weird trend a bit ago where every game has a "trading card" or card feature and most of them weren't card games at all, I'm sure it appeals to some people but I hate HATE that weird rear end physical trading card component where it's all in game and this weird commodity fetishism

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I JUST beat dead cells and got this first boss cell. I played 88 hours. I only beat the end because I copied a bunch of saves when I was at the hand of the king fight, otherwise I just don't understand how a game can ask you to invest 45 minutes to get to a boss fight that drastically ramps up the difficulty and can just annihilate you in literally 6 seconds. That's ridiculous.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Vakal posted:

Did you get the one mutation that reduces damage by 65% for awhile when hit? That helps from being comboed to death.

Woah, I don't think so. Wait, is it the one that also increases your damage for that time, too? I think so but I'm not sure.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

Congratulations! You've finished the tutorial!

<:mad:>

I'm trying really hard here!!!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Vakal posted:

There are a lot of broken item combinations in the game once you unlock them.

Tell me your secrets.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

I still only have 2 cells... And I don't think I've ever beat the giant.

I still haven't beaten the scarecrow and I haven't even found the giant.

My route is always:

Prisoners quarters / promenade of the condemned / ramparts / bridge / stilt village / clock tower / high castle / getting my face hosed into a hundred pieces by HotK

I've been to most of the other biomes, like the graveyard and the DLC and such, but I tend to take what I regard as a safe way

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I wanted to just post "XCOM 2" in this thread can i do that

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

ok im gonna do it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003