Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

christmas boots posted:

The listen mode is replaced with a smell mode that identifies the nearest person with food in their pockets

well the colors on everything are adjusted so you can't perceive reds, but everything has an aura that represents its scent. so when you're chasing down Loser #712 and he hides in the cabinet under a kitchen sink, you can smell his fear.

you will also be able to smell your own frustration when you find that it has a safety bolt. but you can smoke him out eventually by taking a huge poo poo near him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The last of us isn't at all a bad game but it also isn't "the best videogame ever made" which I have heard multiple people say

*pushes box over to wall to climb over it for the fifth time*
Best game ever!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You might have a better time if you played on easy

I liked it well enough on normal, but it's almost a different game for me on grounded. Part of it is figuring out how to avoid fighting when I can and I'm having a lot of fun realizing that there are a lot of enemies I actually don't have to fight. Plus I never have much ammo or items so it gets really tense and I do feel a sense of pressure to be judicious with what I use and when (granted, I know the ammo is at least partially an illusion -- the game spawns ammo if you run out, but the illusion works for me)

It's definitely been a victim of its own hype, but I definitely don't regret playing it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The White Dragon posted:

fair enough i haven't played tactics ogre. but i've read that it's one of those games that you just cheese with some kind of extremely accessible god strat, in this case "archers only." if it's an ogre-series game though maybe the meaningful part is HOW you do the maps, rather than just defeating all the enemies

Tactics Ogre defined the whole TRPG genre. It's worth playing just as a gaming history kind of thing - it was a huge advance in the genre, especially for a game that came out in 1995. A ridiculous number of features that we take for granted in TRPGs originated in that game. It's not quite as widely recognized in the US because Final Fantasy Tactics came out before Tactics Ogre in the US, even though FFT was developed after Tactics Ogre. (The games even had the same designer, Yasumi Matsuno, and FFT was his first project after quitting quest and joining Square.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

The problem with sunless sea is there's just too much dead air as you sail from port to port, especially once you've figured out your trade routes and are just grinding all the storylines, where nothing ever happens unless you forgot to buy food or fuel. This is a game that would lose almost nothing if it had fast travel- that's how dull and empty the travel bits are.

The Zubmariner expansion helped this somewhat, the underwater map has a lot more interesting encounters including a few interesting surprises.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The last of us is a very boring game to play that somehow has the most natural sounding dialogue ever in a game even though the story and characters are dumb af

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You might have a better time if you played on easy

maybe if you're bad at games

the harder difficulties of The Last of Us are great, they make you actually engage with the mechanics

gameplay is very good in those games, probably one of the best third person shooters ever

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

gameplay is very good in those games, probably one of the best third person shooters ever

Lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

maybe if you're bad at games

the harder difficulties of The Last of Us are great, they make you actually engage with the mechanics

i am certainly bad at games and as a result i don't want to artificially stretch the time it takes to reach the finish line

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

what are these superior third person shooters?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

compared to The Last of Us?

Off the top of my head - Gears of War, Vanquish, the first 2 Max Payne games, Uncharted 4, Resident Evil 4

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

vanquish is the only one i could consider and even then its a one trick pony that shows all its cards in about 20 minutes.

the combination of stealth and action make Last of Us more dynamic than any of those

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

vanquish is the only one i could consider and even then its a one trick pony that shows all its cards in about 20 minutes.

the combination of stealth and action make Last of Us more dynamic than any of those

you would call the last of us a better shooter than Resident Evil 4? I mean fair enough man but that sounds crazy to me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Enter the Matrix

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i like resident evil 4 a lot but the last of us is a more interesting and varied shooter

like I said, its very good on the higher difficulties, if you play on easy like you said you did you don't have to engage with the mechanics at all

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EDF is a vastly superior third person shooter compared to The Last of Us.
Don't even @ me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

third person is bad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh and also Just Cause.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the enemies in just cause just stand there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just Cause isn't a great game but Just Cause 2 is.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

third person in games is Wrong

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
third and person videogames are perfectly fine but they both can't compare to the ultimate form of presentation - the top down viewpoint

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Third person is better than first person cuz I can see my character do cool poo poo rather than stare at the same pair of disembodied hands or gun or whatever

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

really though the worst is when they combine first and third person, so you are looking from the character's eyes but their entire body is modeled and moves in space instead of just being a floating eyeball, i hated when games started doing this (like in thief 3 for example)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

serious sam and operation flashpoint already had both perspectives in 2001 or so. Which was pretty great. I think SS didn't render the body though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

really though the worst is when they combine first and third person, so you are looking from the character's eyes but their entire body is modeled and moves in space instead of just being a floating eyeball, i hated when games started doing this (like in thief 3 for example)

No, its the best when the go all in so when you do spin kick the camera violently snaps around 360 degrees.

God I love Breakdown

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Has there ever been a good dog simulation game?

Besides dog mode in ROTT

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Floodixor posted:

Besides dog mode in ROTT

The game "A Dogs Life" which accurately models what its like to be a dog like digging holes, pooping on things, and pushing humans into meat grinders to avenge your fallen comrades.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I think Witcher3 is pretty good? Is that unpopular?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just Cause isn't a great game but Just Cause 2 is.

I meant the Just Cause series but yeah 3 and 2 in particular are great.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Barudak posted:

The game "A Dogs Life" which accurately models what its like to be a dog like digging holes, pooping on things, and pushing humans into meat grinders to avenge your fallen comrades.

Woah

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tripwood posted:

In 2015 yes

Today no

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tripwood posted:

nah i'd say its one of the most popular games in the past 10 years and also one of the best

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the worst thing about early 3d games weren't the actual 3d graphics, it was the 2d elements like the menus, health bars, button cues and so on, everything was suddenly ugly and embossed and shiny and messy. fonts were suddenly all bad too

one thing which mario 64 did right was to make its main menu a 3d object to get around this

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

3D is so passé, when will we get 4D games?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dino Eggs was the best 8-bit platformer.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Floodixor posted:

Besides dog mode in ROTT

Animal Crossing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JollyBoyJohn posted:

In 2015 yes

Today no

The answer depends on how much of the present company is composed of dumb, insufferable contrarians.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 16, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

I remember watching a video of that game, one thing that comes off funny is that while all the voice acting is American apparently the environment looks very English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

Funnily enough it has in-game advertisements for Pedigree. A game whose central plot has a catfood factory grinding up dogs and turning them into catfood, with a finale of a woman being thrown into the factory's meat grinder, is sponsored by Pedigree.