Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I just finished this game, holy gently caress was it great. It was the first time iv ever 100% a game, i just couldn't put it down. I'm gonna take a break before I hop into NG+, I don't want it to get stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

XtraSmiley posted:

I agree, it was the poo poo! Did you try the DLC?

Yeah, I bought the complete edition so I played the DLC.

I had this funny experience when I was playing. I thought there was a title card that said "10 years later" when transitioning from young Aloy to present Aloy. Therefore for the entire game I thought she was 16. Then later in the game when they said she was 18 i was like, wait what? I was convinced that the missing 2 years would be some kind of plot twist or it was some kind of plot hole. I didn't want to confirm during the game in case it was a spoiler, so I spent the whole game wondering what was gonna happen. And then nothing happened and it turns out I was just wrong. Oh well.

Anyways, I can't wait for HZD 2 to come out, hopefully it doesn't take 6 years like HZD did. They released the DLC 9 months after the release, right? Maybe there is still a second DLC coming, if we keep up the 9 month pace.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

exquisite tea posted:

The title card definitely says "10 years later," it's just that Aloy is closer to 7 in the prologue as I believe her naming ceremony takes place six months after they find her. Also I think a couple years are supposed to pass from the beginning of that training montage to the end, which you can see by Rost's beard getting greyer. They probably just didn't want to model a slightly older looking child Aloy.

Guerrilla has said no more DLC planned for HZD, but they've remained at pretty much full capacity since the game released last year and just put up a bunch of new job specs for quest and action designers to provide "an open-world adventure experience" so they are almost certainly already working on Horizon 2.

Hmm, I just rewatched the opening sequence and I don't see a title card that says 10 years later. Theres definitely one that says "Six Years Later" but when it transitions from young Aloy to present day there isn't a title card.

As for HZD2, I'm expecting that it's going to be a lot less work this time around since they already have all the underlying systems figured out and built and its just a matter of iterating and adding whats going to be in HZD2 content wise.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I can't imagine that HZD 2 would be too difficult to make - they already nailed all the hard stuff. The vast majority of the game worked so well they could just create a new map, new characters, a new weapon or two and new quests and call it a day. I doubt that's all they will do but the bar for what needs to be changed is pretty low.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I actually liked that there were so many different materials that I had to juggle, but I know I’m in the minority on that. Other than that I can’t think of any real flaws in the gameplay, so I’m excited for more HZD at frozen wilds quality.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the big problem is that a ton of the sidequests, especially once you hit Meridian, are total rear end and take you all over the map just for some dumb errand

the reality is that all of the most interesting story stuff is about the pre-apocalypse world and you only really get to focus on that for main story missions

The side quests were my favorite part - meeting all these really unique people was super cool. It gave me a lot of context for what the world was like.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

twistedmentat posted:

I got this on Black Friday and once I finished Spider-Man I delved into it. Though with work I haven't been able to get much done. Just completed the Proving, and like "here's a million story hooks!" is what happened, but drat, if I don't wish I had more hours in the day to play this.

I know I'm taking a risk posting in the thread, because I've done an amazing time avoiding any kind of spoilers, like I knew the Carja existed before playing, but knowing there are other people outside the Tribals you are living with at the start isn't really a spoiler. I have seen videos recommended to me about HZD explained and such, but a big nope to those.

Though one question I have, what weapons should I be packing? Like do I want to get one of the other bows rather than the one you start with? I've been sorta bloodborning it by dodging a lot of stuff and killing it with my spear, but I know I can'd do that forever, especially against Sawtooths and enemies like that.

HZD is very tactical, you will eventually want one of everything. Start with the cheap weapons first and learn how to use all of it. It’s super fun to learn how to use your entire bag of tricks.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I wish - it’s basically nonexistent now and makes no sense, but for some reason they still keep it around.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I also bought a ps4 just to play HZD, but count me in on buying it again if it comes out on PC. PS4 load times, never again.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

morallyobjected posted:

Montana Recreations is one of my favourite things in this game

I just replayed through the whole thing with the DLC and i never got tired of it, but I also didn't do a ton of side quests, which I think is a mistake people with games like these. a bunch of them just aren't that worth it

Counterpoint: i beat this game and then turned right around and played it a second time to 100%. I've never done that with a game before. All of the content is just delightful.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

exquisite tea posted:

There's a GDC panel on Horizon Zero Dawn where the presenter talks about how the scope of the game changed drastically as the big robot dinosaur combat finally became playable. Basically everything you fight that's larger than a Scrapper came together late in development, so the only enemies to playtest against for years were the little machines and humans. The tutorial heavily emphasizes stealth because that's all the design team really had to work with, but once the big machines were implemented stealth became less and less pronounced. He puts it like "you spend the first 10 minutes picking up rocks and then never agin for the next 50 hours."

It at least makes a little sense thematically - basically everyone EXCEPT Aloy has no chance face to face against the dinos, so the entire hunter culture is based on stealth. So of course they are going to teach child Aloy the proper ways to hunt (stealthy). It's only after Aloy grows up and leaves the Nora hunting ground that she discovers that she can go loud against a group of ravagers and win.

I don't think that the game devs did this on purpose, but its cool to think about.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I LOVE that everyone flirts with Aloy and shes all "naw bro, i got poo poo to do."

I've had enough bad romance in games that I appreciate the devs leaving well enough alone.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

toplitzin posted:

Ahh, i thought the carja texts were only showing 5ish generations of sun kings

The current sun king is like the 14th king so yeah, either a lot of murder happened or they are pretty old.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Ulio posted:

Just started this game, so far I am not sure what I think, around 5 hours in. Seems like a lot of good ideas but the combat is kinda still not clicking for me. I love the 1v1 battles vs a big mech but getting spotted then bumrushed makes me want to turn off the game. I feel like the action path is so much more fun but the stealth path seems the best way to go through most places even though it is literally just pressing r1 then watching a cutscene.. Hopefully I will get more places where I can set up traps and get creative.

This game thrives on its story, so try real hard not to spoil yourself.

That being said, the combat really opens up as you get more weapons. The game expands tactically, not numerically so you will never powercreep your way past the Dino’s. You’ll just get better at fighting them. I bet some players in this thread can take down the most powerful Dino’s with the starter gear.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to remember ifwe saw any livestock (it's been a while since I replayed it) I know there's farms with grains and stuff.

The Nora probably share hunted meat relatively equitably, Banuck maybe the same, but the rest of them I bet if you aren't a hunter or rich your diet's 95% vegan.

There isn’t anything larger than a boar. I don’t know the in-universe explanation for it but at some point in development they decided horse-riding was going to be something only Aloy could do, so they got rid of anything horse sized and replaced it with robots.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 5, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

ufarn posted:

They can either be categorical without actually knowing all games are going to work or hedge their wording now, it's basically a matter of whether you want to front-load or back-load the compatibility outrage.

The most reassuring thing is that they are definitely manually reviewing the biggest games on PS4 because of the possible PR fiasco, but Dead or Alive: Beach Edition is probably just going to be supported on faith.

my guess is that anything worth caring about is going to be backwards compatible, and the only people who are going to care about the weeb poo poo are doing it for internet points.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Given that HZD had colorado, utah, and wyoming I wouldn't be surprised if HFW had death valley, san francisco, nevada desert, and pacific northwest tall trees. gently caress we might even see the grand canyon.

achtungnight posted:

I hope the sequel brings back most of the machines from the original. I can live without a few of them, but others are iconic like the Stormbird, Rockbreaker, and Thunderjaw.

I hope they don't. Unless they give us a dramatically different weapon layout, all those machines are "solved." Like, what if the big bad robot is another thunderjaw? Everyone who played HZD is gonna waltz right through it, whereas the first time i encountered a thunderjaw in HZD i ran for my life and came back 20 hours later and barely beat it. I want that experience again in HFW.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 17, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Medullah posted:

Look at this guy who's first Thunderjaw wasn't the Cauldron one and had an actual option to escape.

I might be mis-remembering, but isn't the first thunderjaw just off the main road?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It would be easy enough to have thubderjaws again just give them different weak points. Something other than giant canons that you tearblast off and pick up and use.

Tall necks are probably coming back unless guerrilla is moving away from the Ubisoft style open world systems. I hope they do what BOTW did - instead of giving you all the info, give you a vantage point from which to see the info.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SubponticatePoster posted:

Sekiro did swimming/underwater combat very well, hopefully it's something along those lines. In the video she's wearing a rebreather thing and I'm praying that means you don't have a breath meter or some annoying crap like that - just stay underwater as long as you like.

This might be a clue to them fulfilling a fever dream of mine - every open world game can benefit from metroidvania elements. Water in the way? Gotta find the rebreather first!

Although I guess HZD did this in a different way - instead of needing items you needed knowledge. You can beat most enemies with basic gear if you have the knowledge.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
So much of the drama of the first game was discovering what happened - I hope they have something similarly captivating for HFW. I mean I trust them because they have the same people working on and the story will have been there from the beginning unlike HZD.

Edit: it’s sucks that you didn’t enjoy the gameplay of Nier Automata because quitting after the first ending “because the story is boring” is like like quitting the Lord Of The Rings after 20 minutes “because I loving hate all this shire poo poo”

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 7, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It’s not like games ever care about the story when creating sequels. If HFW wraps up, they will just reboot into a new story. gently caress, it doesn’t even have to wrap up. Just give it the new God Of War treatment where it’s nominally attached to the previous entries in the series but otherwise does its own thing.

I hope they don’t do this, because while the gameplay is amazing, it was the story that really added that final “oomph”.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Will probably get this in three weeks.

How long is the prologue, on the scale of 20 minutes like Helgen to half the loving game like AC3?

Can I do most of the open-world fluff at the first opportunity or I will be barred against high-level enemies?

Is there any degree of sequence-breaking like picking up a mcguffin before any quest-giver asked for it?

Unrelated but I tried Sunset Overdrive and it was so loving awful that I permanently deleted off my Steam account. It had 60% DNA of pretty much every other sandbox-game ever made, but it's attempts at humor and being hip gave me worse blood-pressure than the hardest boss in Sekiro.

The prologue is not short - maybe 4-5 hours - but it doesn't "feel" like a prologue. It's more of a mini open world before you get access to the larger open world. There is technically a tutorial section at the beginning but that goes by quick.

There are no "levels" in the game. You don't gain in power by leveling (well, technically you gain skill points and you can put those skill points into stuff like "melee attacks do more damage" but its not an RPG in that sense). The main thing that is blocking you from immediately going to the biggest baddest monsters is:
1) Gear. You don't have all the tactical options from the start. By the end you will have traps, bombs, elemental weapons, weapons that disable enemy attacks, etc.
2) Knowledge. You won't have the knowledge of how to beat the enemies. It's like a character action brawler in that sense. When you first start playing bayonetta you wont know any of the combos and the initial enemies will feel difficult. However, if you immediately replay the game after beating it, those initial enemies will feel easy because of your skill as a player. Horizon is the same way. A brand new player with all the best gear will have a much harder time beating the big bads compared to an experienced player with just the starting equipment.

Edit: efb. thats what i get for researching my replies.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

NarDmw posted:

Since there is no PC thread (to my knowledge yet), I think a common question is for the adherents of the mantra "Don't preorder games". How would that reconcile with the port of a known excellent game?

Don't preorder games.

Buy it and play it on day one just like everyone else. And stop supporting lovely business practices.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I’m on mobile so I can’t check - is the spoiler thread still alive? If not, we can just rename this thread the spoiler thread.

My vote is “wait until you find out who aloys dad is”

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Honestly the biggest thing you're going to notice with the PC port is the faster load times. the load times on the PS4 are ATROCIOUS - I would imagine the PS5 will be better at that but probably not top of the line like you can get with PCs.

I would expect the stuff from the PC port to end up in H:FW, assuming the PS5 supports it, but i would not expect it in HZD.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Just give me the ability to separate stats from looks. I will never choose an ugly outfit, which defeats the purpose of having so many options.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Rinkles posted:

i have a deteriorating mindbrain, so some of that might be inaccurate

Early concept art definitely had guns, as is some of the early prototypes.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I thought it was dumb how there were still rusted hulks of old buildings that somehow aren't dust after a thousand years, but then I realised that if the plague ate all the bacteria and left earth completely inert before being shut down, it would make more sense. Might even explain why Elisabets corpse and home town are still there

I didn't see it as Elisabets corpse, just her suit. That the focus projected an image of her face into. But I could be misremembering

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

FAUXTON posted:

Petra's the one who's like "oh I'd show you a thing or two if I didn't worry about breaking you in half little spark" level thirsty right?

The fact that I don't know which specific person you are talking about is amazing. I think everyone is thirsty for Aloy and shes like "naw, got a world to save. see ya"

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Lumpy posted:

I would imagine recording is one of the last things they do, since they can have anyone record placeholders while the time things and do re-writes and so on. So I have hope!

This makes sense to me, otherwise you end up in a FF8 situation where the expensive cutscenes/voice acting stays even though the story has changed and the poor game devs have to do their best to stitch it together into something coherent.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

morallyobjected posted:

willing to bet it was just a typo and they meant FF13, which is very close if you're used to the Roman numerals (VIII vs XIII)

In the case of Final Fantasy, I meant expensive cutscenes and for Horizon it's voice acting. Sorry for the confusion.

IIRC it was FF8 that had super random cutscenes that barely connected to the gameplay, but I never played it so I might be wrong. If I am wrong, just pretend I meant FF13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I hope that HFW continues the fine tradition of "just do everything that other open world games are doing, but do them really well and with a good story." Yes please give me grappling hooks and gliders and free climb.

Does anyone know if free climb is in? It seemed like they were saying you could only climb specific things.