Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

The now world-renowned Persona series started out as a little RPG for the PS1, released in 1996, that was a spin-off of the Megami Tensei series of RPGs. It offered an interesting departure from its contemporaries, mixing in Jungian psychology and a modern-day Japanese setting. The game retained some of the components of its parent series while setting the standard for what was to come later in the Persona series. It received an English localization in the form of Revelations: Persona, which was heavily localized and Americanized as well as made slightly easier.

In 2009, a PSP remake of the game (the one I'll be playing) was released that included updated graphics and UI, new music, animated cutscenes, and multiple difficulties. Even more fortunately for English speakers, the English version did away with the old localization and was translated from the ground-up with the Japanese setting left intact. This included the game's second quest, which had been gutted entirely from the English PS1 release.

I hope that series veterans and newcomers both will enjoy this look at Persona's somewhat neglected beginning chapter.

About the LP

This LP will be mostly screenshot, with videos for boss battles and animated cutscenes.

One really divisive element of Persona's PSP remake was the music, with the amount of tracks being reduced and updated to fit the more modern Persona 3/4 style. I personally enjoy tracks from both the original game and the remake, though err on the side of thinking that the original music fits the atmosphere better. In order to have the best of both worlds, this LP will include links to both the original music and the remake's music, indicated by either a or .

No spoilers, please! Discussion of other Persona entries is okay, as long as no major spoilers are being flung around. In addition, discussion of the original PS1 version's content up to the latest update is cool.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Common Route
Update 1 - The Persona Game
Update 2 - After-school activities
Update 3 - Hospital check-up
Update 4 - PERSONA!

SEBEC Route
Update 5 - Uninvited guest
Update 6 - Jail break
Update 7 - Field trip
Update 8 - System failure
Update 9 - Bullying intervention
Persona Pitstop Vol. 1
Update 10 - Mirror, mirror
Update 11 - Boy problems
Update 12 - Storming the castle
Update 13 - Family reunion
Update 14 - Era of God
Update 15 - Another face
Update 16 - Intrapersonal communication
Update 17 - I'll face myself
Update 18 - Opening Pandora's Box
Update 19 - I Am, I Exist
Update 20 - Having a bad time
Update 21 - Bonus Round

Snow Queen Quest
Update 22 - Cold as ice
Update 23 - Food fight
Update 24 - Tower of Death
Update 25 - Depths of darkness
Update 26 - Tower of Retribution

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 1 - The Persona Game

:siren: PS1 Opening :siren:
:siren: PSP Opening :siren:

I personally prefer the tone and atmosphere of the PS1 opening, but both versions boast excellent imagery and symbolism.

Like I mentioned in the OP, the PSP version comes with three difficulties. All they do is either decrease or increase enemy damage, so I'm sticking with Normal.

I forgot myself and knew only my
happiness as a butterfly. Soon,
I awoke, and I was myself again.
Did I dream that I was a butterfly?
Or do I now dream that I am a man?

Strange Atmosphere
Door, Frozen Shut

The scene opens on seven high-schoolers, presumably goofing off instead of doing any work.

Dude, if that really worked and I could see my future, I'd be on easy street. You sure you ain't got the brain rot, Hidehiko?

Maybe not seeing the future, exactly, but weird stuff does happen! I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is if you are, Mark.

Alright... You're on. I'll bet you an all-you-can-eat dinner at the Peace Diner on Joy Street.

Are you guys serious? Yo Kei, Yukino! Who're you guys gonna side with?

Ugh! You guys are so cold, y'know?

Mark turns to face the last remaining student - the main player character.

Hey, who're you with? It's gotta be me, right?

Sorry, Mark, but betting on weird things is what a teenager's gotta do.

Sheesh, you too? All y'alls crazy.
Heeheehee... This'll be fun! Awright, let's get started!

Brown, Mark, Ayase, and Elly arrange themselves in a square, one person in each corner.

Umm. Persona! Persona! Please come here!

When one person finishes the incantation, they must then walk to the next corner and tag the next participant.

Persona! Persona! Come here!

Hurry it up! All-you-can-eat! All-you-can-eat!
Okay, okay... Persona, Persona. C'mere... I guess.

Persona, Persona! Please come to us...

Elly walks to the empty corner where Ayase was, completing the ritual.

The rest of the group gathers back in the middle of the room.

Hehe... Looks like I win.
*Sigh* Happy now? Hurry up and go get the teacher.
W-Wait! Hold up! One more time! Please!? Mark screwed it up! C'mon, you gotta take it seriously when you do it.
Oh, you little...! What a sore loser.

:siren: Scene - Strange Phenomena :siren:

New to the PSP version are animated cutscenes, which I'll both provide in their entirety and screenshot and transcribe below. The original Japanese version only had subtitles, while the English version adds voice acting.

Wha...What is...?

Huh? It's too late now to ask to--

Whoa!

The girl in white begins to sob as the group looks on at her.

Girl: Help me...

Lightning gathers and crashes throughout the room, causing the screen to flash white.

Yukino!

As Nanjo runs to help Yukino, bolts hit him and Mark as well.

The last one down is the protagonist.

As unconsciousness sets in, a yellow butterfly flutters onto screen and flies through a plethora of gears, buildings, and other objects.

A single masked man greets us.

Welcome. It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Philemon, a dweller between consciousness and unconsciousness. And now, a simple test: can you state your name?

Name Entry
Name Entry

For names, I go with the names given in the manga adaption - Naoya "Naorin" Toudou.

:siren: Scene - The Power of Persona :siren:

Splendid. There aren't many who can remember their identity when in this domain. It seems you passed that test. But tell me this: are you aware of the many and varied selves you harbor within you?

The selves effused with divine love...

...the self capable of demonic cruelty...
People live by wearing different masks. Your current self may be only one of those innumerable masks. You, though... You have a very firm grip on your identity.

I respect your strong will, and in return I grant this power - "Persona." It is the power to summon the selves within you, the gods and the demons you harbor. The time is soon when you will need this power.

Now you must return to your proper time and place.

Indeed. It's rather extraordinary.
Think he's seeing it now too?

School Days
Educational Institution (Dungeon - After School)

Ahaha, welcome to the infirmary. You sure look cute when you're asleep.

Before anyone else can say anything, the door bursts open and a teacher comes hurrying in.

Thank goodness you're awake, Naoya! I was so scared when I heard you'd collapsed!

I'm sorry you had to deal with my students, Natsumi.
C'mon, taking care of students is her whole job! What's so bad about us...?
Now, now, Masao! I want you to think about what you've done! Anyway, Eriko and Ayase told me what happened. No helping out for you today! Instead, go get yourselves checked out at Mikage Hospital and head home!

Oh, not like that. I can tell by looking at you that you're perfectly sane. But I'm worried you might have gotten hurt while collapsing, so go see the doc.
So there is something that can faze you, Ms. Saeko...Alright, we'll go.
Speaking of Mikage Hospital, wasn't a student in your class staying there?
You mean Maki, right...?
Yes, that's right. You should visit her while you're there. She's been laid up there for over a year now... I'm sure she's lonesome.

With that conversation done and a goal set, we now have control of Naoya. Rooms like this are viewed and explored in an isometric view.

You can interact with people to talk to them and grab items from boxes. Naoya borrows some aspirin from Nurse Natsumi.

People and objects that can be interacted with display a small icon when you stand in front of them.

What were you doing, anyway? I asked you to prepare for the sports festival. We only have a month left and nothing's ready yet. Should we just cancel it this year...?
I know I couldn't take being cooped up in the hospital for an entire year. Let's go cheer her up!
Mikage Hospital, huh? That's kind of a long walk from school. It's way to the northeast. You leave the school, head north...And go all the way to the 3rd ward, then take a right at the Mikage Ruins. Eh, if we just wander around, we'll get there sooner or later.
It seems we have no choice in the matter. Best to get it over with.
I put a new plant there. What do you think? Livens up the room, doesn't it? They say plants grow better if you talk to them. Give it a try, Naoya.

The plant in question is the Agastya Tree in the back, one of the many save points that are at our disposal. With the events of the day saved, Naoya and the gang will have to wait until the next update to start exploring.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 21, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, sweet! This is cool! I've never actually PLAYED the original, but I do know the plot of this one. Question:

SEBEC or Snow Queen? Or will you do both?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm finally going to see the end of this game! :woop: Thank you so much for LPing it!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The original intro is the one thing that I miss from the PS1 version. The new intro isn't bad (and the boss music alone pretty much carries the new soundtrack all by itself), but I still remember the quiet piano intro 20 years later.

okay that's not entirely true i miss the american version of mark too there i said it

One thing that got lost in the translation is that when Elly says "Persona, Persona" it's spelled out in the Latin alphabet instead of katakana (because she's studied abroad and is cultured like that, you see). Granted it doesn't make much sense given that the pronunciation is the same, but there you go.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I tried to do this a number of years ago and had gently caress all luck, transposing all the text got old really fast and I couldn't find a script dump to save my life.

Good luck!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Nice, I love the original Persona and wanted to revisit it in some way before P5, but didn't want to endure the jankiness of the actual gameplay again.

I miss Philemon a bit in the new games even though Igor serves the same story role in P3-4. But the "Persona game" from this intro is one of the weirder ideas in Persona 1 that was abandoned in later games (I think briefly mentioned also in P2). I'm not sure where they were going with it really.

By the way the video link for Philemon's second speech (after you enter your name) is linking to the opening of the game.
Speaking of that video, it's OK to post the original PS1 version of it right? Because the campy voice acting and CG is really a treasure that needs to be seen.

Or to talk about the American PS1 versions of stuff we've seen already in the LP in general.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
This link goes to the PS1 intro again.
E: beaten on that

I know the plots to all of the sequels, but not this one. It'll be nice to see where this series started.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Oh dang, I'm on board. I'm super curious about the Persona series for being part of or connected to SMT in general, but I basically don't know anything about any of it, and this is looking like an excellent entry point. Thanks for doing this.

I wonder under what circumstances a school nurse's terrible cooking ability is so important and widely known a fact that the game deems it more worthy of mention than even the most summary description of her personality.

quote:

Speaking of Mikage Hospital, wasn't a student in your class staying there?
You mean Maki, right...?
Yes, that's right. You should visit her while you're there. She's been laid up there for over a year now... I'm sure she's lonesome.

Ooooh, visiting someone at the hospital. That never turns out badly, does it?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

FrankZP posted:

I'm super curious about the Persona series for being part of or connected to SMT in general, but I basically don't know anything about any of it, and this is looking like an excellent entry point.
Persona 3 is probably where you want to start if you want to know what the deal with the series is, as that's the game that introduced most of the mechanics we associate with Persona nowadays. Persona 1 and 2 are interesting in their own right, but they don't really resemble the later games all that much.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's fascinating to see the beginning of the Persona series, although I've heard that SMT If... is the basis for the series so I'm not sure which is the start of it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

FrankZP posted:

I wonder under what circumstances a school nurse's terrible cooking ability is so important and widely known a fact that the game deems it more worthy of mention than even the most summary description of her personality.

There's this little running joke in all things anime in which a woman, any woman ever, being bad at cooking is the entirety of the joke and is apparently the funniest thing ever. Because a woman can't cook, you see. How hilarious!

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

First off, thanks to everybody to checking it out and commenting! Big thanks to Alpha3KV and ItemGetter for pointing out the link issue, I must've double-checked everything except the videos. Fixed now.

Junpei posted:

Oh, sweet! This is cool! I've never actually PLAYED the original, but I do know the plot of this one. Question:

SEBEC or Snow Queen? Or will you do both?

Yep, I'll be showing off both routes including their bad endings. Don't know if I'm masochistic enough to do a Thanatos SQQ run, we'll have to wait and see.

Item Getter posted:

Nice, I love the original Persona and wanted to revisit it in some way before P5, but didn't want to endure the jankiness of the actual gameplay again.

I miss Philemon a bit in the new games even though Igor serves the same story role in P3-4. But the "Persona game" from this intro is one of the weirder ideas in Persona 1 that was abandoned in later games (I think briefly mentioned also in P2). I'm not sure where they were going with it really.

Speaking of that video, it's OK to post the original PS1 version of it right? Because the campy voice acting and CG is really a treasure that needs to be seen.

Or to talk about the American PS1 versions of stuff we've seen already in the LP in general.

Yeah, the Persona game was a point in P2 as well. They probably went with it because it's the easiest way to have teenagers attempt the supernatural, just like American media often has teens trying out stuff like Ouija boards.

And yes, posting about the (amazing) PS1 and localized version is a-okay! I'll most likely be doing a big post or two about them near the end, for archival purposes. For anybody wanting a little taste, somebody uploaded the PS1 Philemon video so I don't have to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGBpRmP2Cw

FrankZP posted:

Oh dang, I'm on board. I'm super curious about the Persona series for being part of or connected to SMT in general, but I basically don't know anything about any of it, and this is looking like an excellent entry point. Thanks for doing this.

(Unrelated but hello, I enjoyed your Nocturne LP!) Doc Morbid is right that in terms of current Persona themes and gameplay, Persona 1/2 have only the very basics compared to Persona 3-5 (I'll probably nerd out about Persona themes at some point as well). But it's always interesting to see where a series started and I enjoy P1 on its own merits (plus then you can feel like a dweeb when you recognize call-backs later in the series).

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's fascinating to see the beginning of the Persona series, although I've heard that SMT If... is the basis for the series so I'm not sure which is the start of it.

The director, Katsura Hashino, has basically said as much that if... is a Persona precursor, as the positive reception from the game's high-school setting inspired them to then work on a game that dealt with young adults' struggles. In terms of gameplay, the game's Guardian system is sorta like a proto-Persona system. Somebody did a LP of if..., so you should check it out if you're interested.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I do remember reading that LP years ago, though I've forgotten much of the game over time and I think the LPer only did one path out of like 5.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mraagvpeine posted:

I do remember reading that LP years ago, though I've forgotten much of the game over time and I think the LPer only did one path out of like 5.

To be fair they were translating it as they went!

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil
Hot drat I'm looking forward to a full LP of this game. I admit I ended up getting stuck in the Police Station during my attempt at playing and had to quit, so it'll be nice to see everything the game has to offer.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was terribly ill-equipped to make sense of this game back when I played it on the Playstation. I'm not sure I ever once successfully negotiated with an enemy. Gave up by the second dungeon.

It did have the phrase 'Nate Danced Seductively' though, so it wasn't all bad.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"Mark Danced Crazy!"

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

I think I understand what you guys mean as much as it's possible for someone who hasn't played any of the games to understand it, but my interest in the series predates the release of Persona 3, so I think I'll be fine. :D

PeaceDiner posted:

(Unrelated but hello, I enjoyed your Nocturne LP!)

*: Heyo! Much obliged!
: Go easy on the compliments, will ya? They go right to his head.
*: Well I don't think it's that b-
: It kind of is that bad. Sorry.
*: I worked on the sucker practically non-stop for months! I think I'm allowed to be happy that people liked it!
: See what I mean?
: Yikes. Shameful.
*: ...we're doing that thing where we're busting each other's balls as a bonding ritual, right?
: Humble, and quick on the uptake, too!

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 2 - After-school activities

School Days
Educational Institution (Dungeon - After School)

Stepping out of the nurse's room brings us to our first 3D dungeon - St. Hermelin High. You can strafe with the L and R buttons, allowing Naoya to crab-run around campus (obviously the most effective form of transportation a human can use). We won't be heading to the hospital just yet, as the school and city have plenty to see and plenty of people to talk to.

First stop on the first floor in the school's courtyard.

It's been part of my daily routine, ever since I was a girl......Praying to the guardian deity that everyone grows up into fine adults.

Our principal's a cool lady... but she can be a little too lovey-dovey.

>It's made of thamatite and possesses an abnormal magnetism. Legend has it that a heavenly being known as Hiremon dropped it from the sky to be Mikage-cho's guardian stone.
This megalith shard...It's a very precious cultural artifact. Who built it? For what purpose? It never ceases to fascinate me.

Near the courtyard in the teacher's lounge, with only one teacher to be found. The teacher informs us that someone keeps coming in and out of the open room on the second floor before accusing Naoya of being the one doing the deed. How rude.

Man, Hidehiko sure works fast at times like these.
I told Ms. Saeko about what happened. Brown seems to have already gone home... And I don't think Ayase could explain it coherently, do you?

In Ayase's defense, how "coherently" can one explain lightning striking down four of your friends in the middle of a classroom? Other students on the first floor are talking about supernatural phenomena on their own.

Rumor-loving girl: Some people have heard moaning and seen red eyes peering through windows... It's supposed to be cursed since they leveled the haunted mansion to built it.
The haunted mansion! Man, that takes me back. I used to go play there a lot and that old bat-- I mean my mom, got mad at me.
Yeah, they tore that place down and put up the SEBEC building last year.

Why's everyone so pissed at SEBEC? It's just a regular company.

The first floor of Hermelin is larger than the others thanks to a passageway that leads to the gym and club rooms. Unfortunately, there's a particularly loathsome person standing watch at the moment.

If you want to get outside, the school gates are there for a reason! Our school's swarming with degenerates like you! Ooishi is far too lenient!
Now get outta here! I'm going to call a specialist and have this blocked off!

Urgh, it's Hamya. I hate that guy...Cheese it, Naoya!
Tch... Isn't there one decent teacher here besides Ms. Saeko and the principal?

There's even more rumors being spread around in the gym.

Rumor-loving boy: It's SEBEC's doing, if you ask me! Huh? Proof...? It's just male intuition!

Directly next to the gym are the club rooms, though only two are of interest for us - the drama club and the fencing club.

Drama club member: I heard there was a traditional play we used to perform... Why not do that? I think it was called The Snow--
Drama club president: Absolutely not! That one's off limits. I'll decide soon...Give me some time.
Snow...? Was he going to suggest The Snow Queen?

And further down the hall...

Tamaki is the female player character from the SNES game Shin Megami Tensei if..., which takes place in the same universe as Persona 1 and 2.

Tadashi, on the other hand, is based off of real-life Atlus employee Satomi Tadashi, who was the scenario writer for Persona 1 and 2.

Sheesh, Tamaki, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

What did you say!? I'm gonna rip this trash off the walls right now!
Hey! What're you doing to my goddess!?
"Goddess" my rear end, you pervert! You're the perviest pervert to ever perv!
Arrrgh! You hag! You're a haggity hag who hags all hagging day!

I'll just leave you two alone and head upstairs.

All of the stairs in Persona have the same exact landing and layout. Perhaps Mikage-cho had some kind of executive order?

Serious student: Places like that only attract hooligans--
Haha! "Hooligans"? Seriously? What a poindexter!
Serious student: Won't you pipe it down!? As I was saying, wouldn't it attract hooligans? I'd certainly hate to see that happen.

Um, I hate to ask, but...Could you tell Maki I'll give back that book next time I go visit her...?

U-Um, thanks. I'm sorry to ask you to go out of your way like that...It was a really good book, so I wanted to read it again before I return it...
That good, huh? What's it called?
U-Um, "Gate to Paradise"...
Whoa, that's deep! I didn't know Maki was into that kinda thing...
If you enjoyed it that much, why not simply buy your own copy?
W-Well... It's kind of expensive...and my brothers and sisters need new clothes.
Nanjo, you moron! Don't you know she works part-time to help her family out?
Alright, well, we gotta get goin', but we'll be sure to pass on your message!

Apart from classrooms, the second floor is also home to the cafeteria.

Was it a vision? Is there really a girl waiting for me to rescue her? W-Wow... that's awesome...

"Toro" is the word for fatty tuna; the PS1 localization dropped all pretenses and just nicknamed him "Chunky."

Well-informed student: Dude, guess what I saw! Toro asked out Ayase and got rejected on the spot! I hear he's still following her around, though.
Toro's got balls, man! I mean, asking out Ayase!? Dude... I wouldn't go after her in a million years!

Female student 1: He obviously ran off with his girlfriend! C'mon, it's been two months already!
Female student 2: That's a lie! That Chisato bitch tricked him! Everyone knows that girl's bad news!
I was surprised too when Chisato started dating Yosuke. It was so sudden... Chisato never acted like she cared about him before. Actually, I always thought Ma-- Hey, shouldn't we get going?
It's true that not even I think Chisato has an especially attractive personality. It seemed as if she was dating Yosuke to show off as much as anything.
Yosuke's handsome and a nice guy. I hate to admit it, but he's hard to beat!

There's also the second floor's empty classroom. Time to check it out and hopefully clear Naoya's name.

Rage (Reiji's Theme)

Huh? Reiji? You're Reiji Kido! What're you doin' here?

Without a word, Reiji steps aside and leaves the room.

Hmph. The standoffish sort, I see.
Look who's talking... What a gloomy Gus! But hey, for all we know... Maybe he's the kinda guy who secretly practices magic tricks at home.
Reiji transferred here soon after the SEBEC Building was constructed...

With that mystery cleared, we all head up to the third and final floor.

Eeeheehee... I'm investigating the seven mysteries of St. Hermelin High. Want to know what I've learned? Eeheehee...maybe some other time...

Well, Tsutomu, I maaaaay have some new mysteries you might wanna check out. Not everyone is so accepting of Devil Boy, though.

Those two over there are making fun of Devil-Boy... But I prefer Devil-Boy to them. At least he doesn't act all high and mighty.

Male student: I know much more about the occult. Though, I could never tell the uninitiated.
Library committee member: You see that guy over there? The one they call Devil-Boy? He tripped and fell over again today during PE. It was frickin' hilarious! He can't even do a single push-up! What a lamer!

There's also the student council room, where we can check on how Hermelin's politics are going.

Student council president: Kandori would have refused to do it as a point of pride... So I refuse too! It's all part of my quest to be more like him!

Student council member: Huh? You haven't heard of that bigshot at SEBEC? He graduated from here... He's still young, but he's branch president of a big company now.

Last up is the art room.

Might've heard a bit about them at this point.

Art club member: Well, Maki's pieces are incredible. She's won several awards for them. Her friend Chisato isn't very good, but she's had better luck with men.
The painting I saw of Maki's had a strong, raw sense of emotion to it.
I've seen one of Maki's paintings. She won an award for her "Gate to Paradise."

That's all the school provides us for now, so the group heads out to the entrance hall.

There's a reason it's said that one's youth passes quickly.
That Nanjo pisses me off so bad... I'll find a chink in his armor someday.
Masao and Kei are both such children.

The four step outside.

Smile
Number 1 (Nanjo's Theme)

Y...Yamaoka...!
Oh, my! Master Kei is leaving the premises with a crowd of friends! I'm...I'm so happy to see this...!
Master...Kei?
Y-Yamaoka! I've told you time and again never to call me that! You dummy!

N-No, I, ah... Oh, be silent, Masao! Look, Yamaoka, I don't need a ride today! Just...go back without me!
Oh, my! Will you be going out on the town with your chums, young master?
I'm only going to the hospital! And stop calling me that!
The hospital!? Heavens! I do hope you haven't hurt yourself, young master!

Even stone-faced Yukino can't keep it together.

Enough! Let's be on our way, Naoya! Yamaoka... do NOT follow us!

Nanjo storms off in a huff and into Mikage-cho, which we'll explore next time and finally get around to seeing Maki.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 21, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I don't remember very clearly, but does the map mark where you've been?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't remember very clearly, but does the map mark where you've been?

The HUD map doesn't do that, but the full-screen map you can pull up will only show you places you have been. (Edit: never mind looks like it may have been changed on the PSP)
It's rather handy since the dungeons in this game are full of dead ends and you can sometimes avoid them by looking at the map.
By the way, did they upgrade the PSP version so you can switch floors in the full screen map? It would alleviate a problem with some of the more annoying dungeons.

I know there will be some talk about the PS1 version later, but I feel obligated to mention how Nanjo's butler is named Alfred, since that version felt the need to change half the characters' names into pop culture references for some reason.

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
I bought this game 8 years ago on release and played maybe the first 3-4 areas over and over and never advanced very far because I was a baby who couldn't handle the old-school style of it. I'm going to follow this thread closely to finally, vicariously, finish it in some way.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

I really like all the details in the various rooms, but man, for having such a motherly and cheerful principal, this school sure feels like a relentlessly grey craphole. "Alright, I'm all for messing around with occult rituals and stuff. If we manage to summon a demon, maybe I can trade my soul for some paint."

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

FrankZP posted:

I really like all the details in the various rooms, but man, for having such a motherly and cheerful principal, this school sure feels like a relentlessly grey craphole. "Alright, I'm all for messing around with occult rituals and stuff. If we manage to summon a demon, maybe I can trade my soul for some paint."

In the PS1 version when you're in one of those isometric rooms like the nurse's office and walk towards the exit door to the hall a little tool tip will appear which says "DUNGEON". Which I guess it technically is in game terms, but it always sounds funny to me. Like that's how the kids think of it.

We are only seeing the rooms with stuff in them but the school is a huge 3-story level, presumably realistically sized and half of the rooms you try to enter are just locked. So if you choose to explore the school you spend a lot of time combing like 20 rooms to find which ones you can enter.
The PS2 games streamlined this a bit by making the school smaller and having you only be able to enter your own classroom but it did trade a bit of the feeling of place for much less tedious exploration.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Couldn't play this one to the end, because the mechanics haven't aged too well for me. Dunno what really grinded my gears on it, but it'll be nice to see this through. Good luck to you!

also philemon is an absolute fucker

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Item Getter posted:

The HUD map doesn't do that, but the full-screen map you can pull up will only show you places you have been. (Edit: never mind looks like it may have been changed on the PSP)
It's rather handy since the dungeons in this game are full of dead ends and you can sometimes avoid them by looking at the map.
By the way, did they upgrade the PSP version so you can switch floors in the full screen map? It would alleviate a problem with some of the more annoying dungeons.

Yep, you can now switch between floors and the PSP mini-map shows where you've already been.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I gotta be honest, I grew up with the Americanized version on PS1, and seeing the proper version of it years later, I haven't really been able to accept it. My brain is still stuck on the idea that the localized version is correct, even though it's poorly translated and missing an entire quest. Like, I fully realize the PSP version is pretty much objectively better (aside from the music and the fact that it's on portable), but getting used to a cast of characters, and suddenly having them all change names and hair still messes with my head a little bit.

Looking forward to the LP!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

rujasu posted:

I gotta be honest, I grew up with the Americanized version on PS1, and seeing the proper version of it years later, I haven't really been able to accept it. My brain is still stuck on the idea that the localized version is correct, even though it's poorly translated and missing an entire quest. Like, I fully realize the PSP version is pretty much objectively better (aside from the music and the fact that it's on portable), but getting used to a cast of characters, and suddenly having them all change names and hair still messes with my head a little bit.

Looking forward to the LP!

Same..... it was my first Persona / SMT game. It's a bit difficult mentally to make myself refer to the characters by their original names even though the PS1 names are mostly objectively dumb sounding. And the character sprites are harder to distinguish in this version, like the main character and Nate look pretty much the same from the back.
It's also slightly weird that Mark is apparently still called Mark most of the time in the original, though I knew about "Elly" and "Brown". I wonder what the deal is with many of the characters in Japanese Persona 1 and 2 having English nicknames, though I guess it made things easier for when the US branch decided to Americanize all the names.

I'd add "the intro movie" as the only other thing the PS1 version did better, in spite of its technologically primitive look.
At least the first half of Persona 2: IS (again only the original) gave us a good non-dated looking version of that

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Item Getter posted:

Same..... it was my first Persona / SMT game. It's a bit difficult mentally to make myself refer to the characters by their original names even though the PS1 names are mostly objectively dumb sounding. And the character sprites are harder to distinguish in this version, like the main character and Nate look pretty much the same from the back.
It's also slightly weird that Mark is apparently still called Mark most of the time in the original, though I knew about "Elly" and "Brown". I wonder what the deal is with many of the characters in Japanese Persona 1 and 2 having English nicknames, though I guess it made things easier for when the US branch decided to Americanize all the names.

I'd add "the intro movie" as the only other thing the PS1 version did better, in spite of its technologically primitive look.
At least the first half of Persona 2: IS (again only the original) gave us a good non-dated looking version of that

I had the inverse. I saw the remake first, and then when I looked at the localized PS1 version I PHYSICALLY CRINGED.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
In the original localization, they made Mark black. It was kinda cringeworthy.

Edit: I also like how the protagonist looks all goth in the original Japanese version/this remake.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Junpei posted:

I had the inverse. I saw the remake first, and then when I looked at the localized PS1 version I PHYSICALLY CRINGED.

Yeah, I can see that. I'd probably feel that way if I played the remake first.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 3 - Hospital check-up

School Days
City 1 - Tranquility

The rest of the group follows after Nanjo onto the city map. The PSP version's map is a welcome respite from the PS1 original's, though I do admit that actually walking around town and having to wait on street lights to change was pretty fun. Pressing the Square button will bring up the names of all the buildings on the screen. First stop is the Kaneda Mansion on the left.

What nonsense! To my eyes, this old woman's so-called "treasure" is little more than rubbish. She purports to be an antique collector...
But she'll buy anything that's priced high enough. What could be more absurd?
That old biddy treats everyone like a thief. Just ignore her.
Can we leave yet, Naoya? I'm sick of taking her crap!
Hmph! Children like you can't grasp my treasure's true worth! Now get out of my sight!

On the other side of the spectrum is the Himeno Residence to the right.

Well, yeah, anyplace would look small next to yours! Tch, this is why I can't stand rich dudes like you...
I think this is where Yuko Himeno lives. You know, Maki's friend. I work part-time for myself, but she's doing it for her family...
Man... talk about a sob story! Yo, Nanjo, why don't you work part-time to pay Yamaoka's salary yourself!?

And related to working part-time is the Yin&Yan convenience store up top.

Something's come up, so I'll be in late. I'll work overtime to make it up.
Oh, okay. You're a real go-getter, y'know that? I guess you have a reason to work.
Yukino really does have a part-time job? Uh... why?
I want to study photography abroad, so I gotta save up.
I can't fathom Yukino wearing that uniform and smiling at customers.

Heading over a screen gets us to Mikage Sun Mall, loaded with shops to peruse. The group steps into the clothing store, Rosa Candida.

The woman browsing the back rack catches Mark's attention, and she turns around when she notices everybody.

Oh, crap! It's my mom!

Mark's mother: I'm doing some shopping, but the load's piling up. Help me out, Massie!
Hmmmm... This "Massie" is you, is it, Masao Inaba...?
Q-Quit it, you old bat! I'm busy! Leave me alone!
Mark's mother: Massie! You'd call your own mother an old bat!? And just when I was thinking of buying you some t-shirts!

Well, Mark's already got a pretty nice t-shirt: it has a print of the protagonist from Devil Summoner on it.

"Massie"? That's about as embarrassing as "young master."
No one asked you, Yukino!
Mark's mother: Oh, are these your friends? My, this store is expensive. Look at this one, Massie!
What do I want with that!? C'mon, Naoya, let's go!

Mark escapes from the store without turning to see if anybody's following.

Yes, ma'am.

Another place of interest is the Historical Society, which the group stops at for a quick look. The hottest display is the Expel Mirror in the middle of the room.

Girl: My teacher said it's boring in those ruins 'cause there's nothing else there.
It's musty in here, but kinda nice. Maybe it's the mirror's influence.
It's long been said that mirrors have mystical powers... Is this one of them?
You're awfully studious all of a sudden. Is Hell about to freeze over?

Located in another ward is the shopping district Joy Street.

Reiji's mother: His name's Reiji Kido. Do you know him?
Yeah
Reiji's mother: Oh, so you know him? Ah, you're in the same class? I see... Then you must know my son isn't very outgoing... It may be selfish of me to ask this, but could you make friends with Reiji?
Sure
Reiji's mother: Ah, truly? Thank you! Please feel free to come visit him at home sometime!

After setting a playdate with Reiji, the other place of interest on Joy Street is the casino, Judgement 1999.

Blonde man: Dude supposedly has a scar on his head. He shouldn't mess with the Tailors!
Just ignore those guys. They'll get bored and wander off before too long.

Tailors...? I don't know about your naming sense, Mark.

Now then, with everybody getting all excited about SEBEC, shouldn't we go check it out as well? How interesting could a company called Saeki Electronics & Biological & Energy Corporation be?

This ain't a playground for brats like you. Hey, toss these kids out!

Takeda? What's this disturbance about?

Strange Atmosphere
Stillness Before (Theme of Kandori - Silence)

Kandori...
My, what a rare pleasure. What business does the scion of the Nanjo family have with us?

I didn't come here for you. I'm only tagging along with these people.
Aha... Then these must be the young master's school friends. You accompanied them to a sordid place like this? Quite a friendship indeed...
Cease calling me "young master." I never gave you permission to use that name.
You little--!
Stand down, Takeda. It seems the Nanjo family lacks discipline... Well, I'll allow it. But Nanjo... I will teach you the proper form of address to your betters.

Tch... It's almost time, Mr. Kandori.
Yes, I'll be right there. Now then, the time has come for me to ask you all to leave.
Heh! Let's go, Naoya.

There's one last location we need to stop at before heading to the hospital: the abandoned factory. It acts as the base for Mark's Tailors group.

Hm...? Masao, is he one of your "crew" as well?
Say what!? Huh...? So you're the dude with the scar on his head... What're you doin' here?

Oh hey, it's Reiji. This saves me the trouble of having to go all the way to your house. Wanna hang?

I mean, you could've just said "no"... Like before, Reiji walks off without saying anything.

Now then! With the city and school explored, the group heads into Mikage Hospital.

A Girl At the Window (Dungeon - Hospital)

Best not be idle, after all.
Heh... Cold, man. By the way, Maki's in Room 302.

The other three pause and stare at Mark.

You're pretty well-informed, Masao.
Uh... Shut up! A friend of mine told me! Yo, Naoya, let's just go already.

Most of the doors are closed - it wouldn't do to run into somebody's hospital room, after all - but we can still get into the nurse's stations on 2F and 3F.

Uh...
Nurse: You visited her last week too didn't you? And the week before...
Is that so...? You're unexpectedly nice to her, I see.
Leave him alone, Nanjo.

Nurse: You know she's been in and out of the hospital since she was a child, right? I always worried about her keeping up her friendships...

Nurse: Her only daughter is in the hospital and she hasn't visited even once! I don't care how busy she is at SEBEC! She's a failure as a mother! Poor Maki...
Why is Maki's mother working at THAT company, of all places!?
Oh, crap! Y'think I should've brought flowers or something? Well, too late now!

Too late indeed - the party heads to Room 302 to see Maki. Luckily Maki is the only one whose plate outside the door is yellow, making her even easier to spot.

Space
Sanitation Department

Nurse: That's right, Maki. Why don't we go for a walk tomorrow?

True to his word, the doctor and nurse take their leave and leave the group alone with Maki.

Daily Life

You're so thoughtful, Masao.
What do you mean?
I told Masao I wanted to see everyone when he was here last time...Isn't that why you all came?

"Gate to Paradise," I think it was.
Ah... That's okay. I've read it so many times, I practically have it memorized.
Alright, I'll tell her next time I see her. So how've you been? You doing okay?
Uh-huh. I'm doing much better. I wonder if it's because of that good dream... It's hard to remember, but I keep dreaming of a really nice man... He's like a father...
Like that doctor? He seemed nice.

Did he do somethin' to you!?
No, that's not it... I just...don't like doctors...
Well, let's talk about other stuff, then. Hey, how about your mom? How's she doin' at SEBEC?
She's not my mom! She cares more about her job than me! She doesn't care about me at all...
S-Sorry...

Tension
Generic BGM-B

Maki!? What's wrong!? Hey!
This isn't good! Call a doctor!

:siren: Scene - Hospital Disappearance :siren:

The group stands outside the ICU, waiting to hear any news.

I do hope it's nothing serious.

...Dammit...

Mark casts his head down, looking even more dejected than everybody else. After he speaks, a rumbling begins to start in the building.

Hm? An earthquake?

The benches shake and the plaques rattle around before falling to the ground. Mark jumps out of the way as one crashes on the floor.

Whoa, it's a big one!
The hell!? Hold on!

It seems to have subsided.

Mark rushes towards the ICU door, ready to yank it open.

Maki!

Whoa! Wh-What the hell!? Where'd the room go?

What...How is that...? No, I was positive that was the ICU a moment ago!

As the group continues to stare in wonder, a woman's scream erupts from down the hallway.

That scream...It came from downstairs! Let's go!

Confrontation

Wh-What's with these guys?
Panicked nurse: Th-The dead patients suddenly got up and walked...That old man rescued me and...Nooooo!

Unable to take it anymore, the nurse bolts from the room in terror.

A Lone Prayer
Awakening Legend (Battle - Awakening)

Careful, guys!
How the hell are we supposed to fight somethin' that's already dead!?
.....!

Naoya awakens to his Persona, Seimen Kongou. A Rakshasa in Hindu lore and a protector deity in Buddhist lore, he once spread disease and suffering but dedicated himself to now ridding the world of such ills.

Mark's Persona is Ogun, who is known by many names across different religions. He is most well-known as a warrior god and a spirit of metal work.

Yukino's Persona is Vesta, the Roman goddess of hearth, home, and family who is one of the twelve of the most honored gods in the Roman pantheon.

Lastly, Nanjo's Persona is Aizen Myouou, one of the five Wisdom Kings who is known to transform worldly lust into spiritual awakening.

Overcoming Sadness
Freezing Mind (Shadow ~ Sirius)

Right, Yamaoka?
Oh, young master... Don't be so sad... It spoils your handsome face... You're a fine Japanese man...
And a man must stand on his own someday... It seems that this... will be the last service I can provide for you...
No! No no no! I won't let you leave me! Hang in there, Yamaoka!
It's time I said farewell... Just one last thing... Please promise me, young master... Promise to become the No. 1 man in the country and carry Japan on your back! *cough* *cough*
...Of course... Of course I will. When that time comes, you'll see.

That's my young master... I will always be... in your heart...
Yamaoka? Hey! Answer me... I'm begging you... Yamaoka!

Everyone else looks away, unable to bear the scene.

Let him alone...

Space

That thing said it was me.
I heard it, too...Think it was that Persona thing?
It said it would lend us power, so I kinda doubt it's hostile. If we're lucky, maybe it'll listen to what we tell it...I guess we might as well go on calling it "Persona."
That's how it felt to me, too...I have a bad feeling about this. Let's go.

Next update the party will set out into the hospital and we'll get out first taste of gameplay.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 21, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The Persona awakening music is highly recommended and one of the worst exclusions from the PSP soundtrack. Though I didn't realize until now Kandori's theme didn't make the cut either.

Cool , I never knew about those two enterable houses before, mostly since they aren't labeled on the PS1 map and the map in that version is such a chore to deal with. Likewise, probably for the same reason, I never saw that scene at SEBEC until I picked up the game again after this LP started.

Maki looks a lot nicer with her original hair color which fits her being one of the more realistically drawn character portraits in the cast.

Aw you skipped the part with Yamaoka hiding behind the vending machine in the hospital lobby.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

If Mark has any brains in his head, he'll be sending Yukino a gift basket for this one. Good grief.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well, consider me another member of the Persona fanbase who's never played this or either of the P2 games. I have a PSTV so I can buy this if I want it, which I may do if the LP makes it look worth my time.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Did Mark have that axe on him the whole time, or did he pull it out of a wall cabinet somewhere on the way down the hall?

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

Jegan posted:

Did Mark have that axe on him the whole time, or did he pull it out of a wall cabinet somewhere on the way down the hall?

From what I remember everyone just... kinda has their weapons on hand? Admittedly it's been a few years since I touched Persona 1 but that's how I recall it happening.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure about Persona 2, but I think Persona 3 marks where the story actually explains where people get their weapons from and why they're not plainly visible when walking around town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Persona 2 details where people get their weapons, but why they're not visible outside of battle is left as an exercise for the player.

• Locked thread