Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

@bombsfall is a pretty great twitter follow fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

While we can never go back, life is meant to be lived and your place in this world does have significance, even if you yourself cannot see it.

Mae'll be fine and so will we.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really love this game and its characters. Even this one tweet made me very happy to see.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm sure this has been posted before, but want to read commentary on NitW from a liberal who probably thinks that the poor family in Parasite were the villains? 'Cause here's a Galaxy brain of a take.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but want to read commentary on NitW from a liberal who probably thinks that the poor family in Parasite were the villains? 'Cause here's a Galaxy brain of a take.

I think she was a little too close to the material to be able to have an objective take on it. Also, knowing how incredibly leftist Scott Benson is, this just reminds me of how good the leftist world is at being its own worst enemy and deciding that the one that needs destroying is the closest ally at hand.

Like, I think BootlegGirl's big problem is that the game doesn't show gender and orientation based bigotry, but I think Scott felt he wasn't the best person to show that?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This stinkpiece was written by someone who looks at one of those United States of Canada memes that has blue states join Canada and applauds.

Just mind boggling classism and bigotry here from someone claiming to do otherwise. Double ice backfire.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly it just seems like someone who just missed the point? She's so caught up in her image of small-town America is small-minded bigots (which, to be fair, is pretty much true) that she missed the game's whole thrust of setting up a world in which bigotry wasn't a factor to better get at the real problem of capitalism.

So when the game reached its climax of "the middle class sacrifice the underclass out of a blind faith in The Economy" she read it as "white people attack minorities out of fear" because she's so blind to the class struggle.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
1 4 1 1 4 2 1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Incelshok Na posted:

1 4 1 1 4 2 1

What?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Has there been any news on the physical version of this game?

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

The hook on die anywhere else.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kazy posted:

Has there been any news on the physical version of this game?

Unfortunately due to the controversy/death involving one of the guys that worked on the game it doesn’t seem likely they’re going to do much of anything with it now (we can probably kiss that supplemental game they were talking about a while back goodbye as well along with any hope of a sequel). I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They announced a new project in June bug it's not NitW related.

Definitely feels like they want to leave NitW alone given everything, yeah.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

They announced a new project in June bug it's not NitW related.

Definitely feels like they want to leave NitW alone given everything, yeah.

I hadn’t heard about that, do we know anything about this new project yet?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Sadly no. It's being made by a new studio the Bensons founded.

https://twitter.com/theglorysociety/status/1272529409111621634?s=19

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They did recently add Steam trading cards, though. Not sure what to make of that.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Larryb posted:

Unfortunately due to the controversy/death involving one of the guys that worked on the game it doesn’t seem likely they’re going to do much of anything with it now (we can probably kiss that supplemental game they were talking about a while back goodbye as well along with any hope of a sequel). I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.

I hadn't heard about this, what happened? I'm guessing a sad mentally unwell person checked out because that would certainly be on-brand for what was presented in the game.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Incelshok Na posted:

I hadn't heard about this, what happened? I'm guessing a sad mentally unwell person checked out because that would certainly be on-brand for what was presented in the game.

Go back to page 37 and start reading from there. It follows the whole saga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Incelshok Na posted:

Here’s the short version at least:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Holowka

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Geemer posted:

They did recently add Steam trading cards, though. Not sure what to make of that.
There are games I've had in my account for years with no updates that still randomly add trading cards, my conjecture based on what I've heard is it helps out long term sales as a lot of people still buy stuff based on if it has cards or not, especially when there are sales. Some of the game devs that post here could probably prove or disprove that.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Master Twig posted:

Go back to page 37 and start reading from there. It follows the whole saga.

Well... this sucks.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
It's too bad they turned down the TV/movie deals. This "game" inasmuch as it is a "game" would work much better as either a one-shot TV show (12 30 min episodes could cover the story with minimal fat-cutting and let Mae be friends with Bea and Gregg.

A movie would be a lot fat-cutting but could still be solid.

Given the minimal and often incongruous "game" elements to the "game" it feels like that is what it should have been anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I enjoyed the "game" and would've been less interested/not at all interested if it was a "tv show" or "movie"

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm fine with there being no other media on the game. The game is perfect as it is, and doesn't need any other adaptations. There's just no way it would live up to the story told in the game.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Incelshok Na posted:

It's too bad they turned down the TV/movie deals. This "game" inasmuch as it is a "game" would work much better as either a one-shot TV show (12 30 min episodes could cover the story with minimal fat-cutting and let Mae be friends with Bea and Gregg.

A movie would be a lot fat-cutting but could still be solid.

Given the minimal and often incongruous "game" elements to the "game" it feels like that is what it should have been anyway.

in case anyone missed this the first time around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-gwpATLp4

it would make for a great series for teenagers / young adults

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I do wish there had been a way to easily jump back and replay different possible hang-outs, though. I only went with Bea and missed out on Gregg and didn't want to play through the whole game again.

Also I played at launch and I think they may have added extra scenes in patches which I never bothered to watch... Still, very good one playthrough, though.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Macaluso posted:

I enjoyed the "game" and would've been less interested/not at all interested if it was a "tv show" or "movie"

Why?

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

PIZZA.BAT posted:

in case anyone missed this the first time around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-gwpATLp4

it would make for a great series for teenagers / young adults

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The interactivity is quite a lot of the fun. What Mae chooses to do is fundamental to the plot. Fixing those choices in a canonical video would not add much except convenience

I could see a different story set in the same world as an animation or something. The art style is on point

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Malcolm XML posted:

The interactivity is quite a lot of the fun. What Mae chooses to do is fundamental to the plot. Fixing those choices in a canonical video would not add much except convenience

I could see a different story set in the same world as an animation or something. The art style is on point

I felt railroaded by the choices, they were either inconsequential or just a way to squeeze more hours out of the playtime for a better $/hr ratio. If you want to tell a linear story: tell a linear story. TV and movies do that well. The strength of gaming is that you always have a choice, you can always choose.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i like the pacing of walking through the town on my own and exploring and checking in with the npcs

tv could get a similar tone sure but it’s a fundamentally different experience

like, the payoff for selmers feels a lot more meaningful when you’ve consciously been making the time to talk to her every day even though it’s optional

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NITW is a game that I could actually envision translating pretty well to a TV or web series. Some adaptations would have to be made but the story structure and character interactions could largely remain intact.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
As it stands right now, it's not quite a game it's not quite a comic book. You don't quite get completely what you would with either but you get a good experience and it comes with an amazing soundtrack.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
NitW leans into a lot of really quite microscopic game techniques more than it does into any kind of "game narrative" technique; it lets you choose things, but largely as either or both a source of flavour or to use the whole notion of choosing a response as part of some other fixed narrative. The most memorable and illustrative example of the latter technique is the scene where Bea is driving Mae home from the party in the woods, and Mae is drunk, and the dialogue you can choose from her is apologetic and self-aware but what she actually says is incoherent babbling that only makes Bea madder. Like was said before a lot of the payoffs in the game are culminations of things you have to continuously choose to engage with throughout each playthrough, and these are the most conventionally game-narrative-y plot threads in the game insofar as they can reach or not reach that resolution depending on your action, even when the plot threads themselves are still linear and fixed. A step further back, the game also loves to contrast Mae's free-roaming with Bea and Gregg's complete lack of freedom, which is the kind of juxtaposition that only really works in a game.

There's no particular reason you couldn't tell a more or less identical story in a linear medium, none of the game-y flourishes NitW has are really essential to what makes its plot and themes work, but you'd need to make tiny changes to everything, and it would wind up feeling noticeably different in structure, pacing, mood, and other such ways.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

it's got a triple-jump, it's a game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Because I want to play a video game

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

film, TV, theatre all have their own techniques to add flourishes to a work. I don't think the proposed adaptations are e.g. a single camera pointed at a blank soundstage for 10x45mins straight. NitW is 'just' interactive rather than being formally, ludologically, "a game"

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fedule posted:

NitW leans into a lot of really quite microscopic game techniques more than it does into any kind of "game narrative" technique; it lets you choose things, but largely as either or both a source of flavour or to use the whole notion of choosing a response as part of some other fixed narrative. The most memorable and illustrative example of the latter technique is the scene where Bea is driving Mae home from the party in the woods, and Mae is drunk, and the dialogue you can choose from her is apologetic and self-aware but what she actually says is incoherent babbling that only makes Bea madder. Like was said before a lot of the payoffs in the game are culminations of things you have to continuously choose to engage with throughout each playthrough, and these are the most conventionally game-narrative-y plot threads in the game insofar as they can reach or not reach that resolution depending on your action, even when the plot threads themselves are still linear and fixed. A step further back, the game also loves to contrast Mae's free-roaming with Bea and Gregg's complete lack of freedom, which is the kind of juxtaposition that only really works in a game.

There's no particular reason you couldn't tell a more or less identical story in a linear medium, none of the game-y flourishes NitW has are really essential to what makes its plot and themes work, but you'd need to make tiny changes to everything, and it would wind up feeling noticeably different in structure, pacing, mood, and other such ways.

:yeah:

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Fedule posted:

I agree games are a different medium so, yeah, changes would have to be made. But I feel that a more controlled medium would allow for a better structure, pacing and mood for the story being told. I almost stopped playing the game because the first jumping puzzle was dumb and I don't particularly care for jumping puzzles. That would have been a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Incelshok Na posted:

I felt railroaded by the choices, they were either inconsequential or just a way to squeeze more hours out of the playtime for a better $/hr ratio. If you want to tell a linear story: tell a linear story. TV and movies do that well. The strength of gaming is that you always have a choice, you can always choose.

You literally get to choose lots of things in NITW. Who to hang out with, what to say to them, little side missions and such. You just don't get to choose the overarching plot, because it's about your relationship to a world forced upon you. The choices aren't inconsequential, they are just character-driven not narrative-driven for the most part. They give you a window in Mae's mind and draw you into her worldview. The game is a linear story about complex people and the choices develop and explore that complexity.

Also, weirdly hostile take assuming someone added dialogue options for "better $/hr ratio". If you know anything about the devs, you know that's absurd.