Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That trailer is like a more sanitized version of Lamezone, I'm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm five minutes in and oh my god this is literally a mix of Kentucky Route 0 and Lamezone, someone call a priest and a jeweler because I'mma marry this video game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This doesn't seem to be catching fire with those communities the way games like Life is Strange and Undertale did. Not sure why, maybe it's because it kind of snuck out without much fanfare.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

Lotta reasons why.

It's a light platformer with minigames done in vector graphics that doesn't evoke the same kind of rabid nostalgia a pixel art JRPG with bleep bloop music does with certain crowds, or is as immediately grabbing as a full 3D, fully voice acted adventure game. It came from relatively unknown developers as opposed to something with the backing of Square Enix (Life is Strange) or was developed by one of the lead musicians for Homestuck (Undertale). It had a long development time where probably most of the initial hype died off years before the game was released. And, it's also pretty grounded compared to the other two. It has supernatural fuckery going on, but the bulk of the game is spending time with regular people dealing with real problems in a straight forward fashion. Life is Strange you're rewinding time all over the place, and Undertale the entire cast is basic rear end anime archetypes that are easily quotable and the game is built around meta shenanigans.

Okay I see your point but consider: Gregg.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

anime was right posted:

undertale had a huge cult fanbase from a dumb webcomic and anyone who liked earthbound ready to spread the gospel, fwiw

i think this game will slowly garner steam. its getting like 9s across the board.

If it's going to start getting fanworks it can start with proper covers of Die Anywhere Else and Weird Autumn, those are some catchy melodies even when they're just basic synths and bass.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

"This is like something out of a failed state."

"What's that?"

"When you make a country and it doesn't work out."

"So...like this one?"

"Ayyyyyyy"

"Ayyyyyyyy"

Our brave youth, they laugh to keep the tears away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bewilderment posted:

what kind of monster wouldn't want to watch Garbo and Malloy. THAT'S A WHOPPAH

On the other hand while it doesn't matter at all in the end, I guess things are slightly more positive if you don't talk to your mom on a certain day.

That conversation turned really super uncomfortable really super fast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

an actual dog posted:

Honestly I think most kids who drop out of college and come home have WAY more uncomfortable conversations than what's in this game. Mae gets off easy.

I think for kids in those situations parents who are mostly loving and supportive can be pretty stressful too, because they constantly feel like they're letting their families down just by existing and can go down even more self-destructive paths to deliberately stoke resentment and feel justifiably hated. I wasn't in Mae's exact situation but some of that percolating stress in her household definitely felt familiar.

Also holy poo poo I don't know which of Mae's friends wrote the bassline for Pumpkin Headed Guy but they were clearly possessed by the devil.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

I wished I switched to keyboard controls for that one; switching between a and y on the game pad was really hard. The solo (?) section loving murdered me despite that though.

Also at macaluso: nope! I went to the church every chance I got and it still happened.

I can breeze past the A-Y-A-Y bits on a controller no problem but yeah, that solo is a god damned ballbuster and I keep force-closing the game on failing it because I do not wish to look the fool in front of my man Gregg.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nichael posted:

I think the cast of this game are more expressive and human than just about any AAA game.

It's amazing how they instantly made Gregg endearing just by giving him a basic "happy" expression when everyone else's faces are relatively static.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am glad that this video game recognizes that possums are wise, and powerful, and destined to rule.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

If it's going to start getting fanworks it can start with proper covers of Die Anywhere Else and Weird Autumn, those are some catchy melodies even when they're just basic synths and bass.

That was commendably fast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Beat it. I really liked it and related to a lot of stuff that the main characters went through, but I think the dialogue and animations could use another pass; it's very hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic or not when the dialogue all looks the same and the characters have the :3: or :v: face the entire time no matter what

Like many modern people, it is safe to assume that everything they say is veiled in sarcasm except when it is punishingly, agonizingly sincere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

So, during the epilogue, I think I had some flags glitch out or something cause there were these three weird dudes on the incredibly ominous cliff that the game treated like I had met and conversed with before, it left me rather confused, as I hadn't seen them before at all?

Yeah, they're missable. You only meet them if you go to the cemetery with Bea.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In regards to the ending, I have to wonder how much of the town's up-and-down prosperity was due to the Black Goat, and how much of it was just happenstance that the cultists placed too much faith in. While the Black Goat and its "gifts" are almost definitely real, assuming it's that giant silhouette that Mae chats up, its attitude doesn't jive at all with how the cultists describe it - it talks about "little creatures" who come to it begging for answers but don't listen, insists that the only thing in the universe is the "menacing existence" of meaningless atoms, and alludes to "pulling the tear shut," which suggests it's thinking about retreating to wherever it came from and abandoning the cult entirely. That's a pretty sharp departure from the cult saying that the Black Goat goes "I'm hungry, throw people down the hole to make your economy show good numbers and not bad ones."

If that metaphor holds up, then the Cult of the Black Goat consists of a bunch of conservative, self-centered old men sacrificing the community's poor and disadvantaged in order to benefit a system that they believe they control directly but is actually far outside of their scope or willingness to comprehend. Kind of on-the-nose, but I appreciate the metaphor.

e: also those city council jag-offs were absolutely cultists and I'm glad they're dead

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 28, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
loving Werewolf Jones.

NitW is really closer to TerribleTerribleTerrible tho

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

Speaking of the end, I wondered about what Bea had to say about Gregg and Angus's relationship. She was of the opinion they're just smalltown highschool sweethearts and once they move to a bigger city, meet new people, get new jobs or go to school, they'll grow, change and probably break up. In particular she thinks Angus will outgrow Gregg once he gets past the idea that Gregg saved him from the difficult time in his life where he was getting away from his abusive family. I'm no expert on relationships, but while I thought what she said was plausible, it was also sort of a cautious and conservative take from someone with a (not unjustified) cynical outlook. It seems just as plausible their shared history would keep them together, or if they drift apart a bit later they could still remain friends. Heck, if anything's going to cement a bond with someone it might be sort-of-accidentally killing a murder cult together.

I'd be interested to see what other people thought of what she said.

Pretty much the same as you. Bea's perspective definitely isn't unfounded, and young relationships like that tend to have too much importance placed on them by both sides and sputter out when the reality doesn't hold up. But if you hang out with Gregg more it's clear that their relationship definitely isn't shallow - Gregg is making conscious efforts to change for Angus' sake, and Angus clearly cares about Gregg for reasons beyond some vague sense of obligation for "saving" him. Bea's take is part realism and part cynicism/bitterness that they're getting out of Possum Springs while she's entombed at the hardware store.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My absolute favorite bit in the game was near the end when Mae is rambling on about how she has to go into the cave alone to confront the cult because of the poo poo she's been going through and the rest of the gang just completely ignores her saying that because she's being loving stupid.

Angus put it best earlier in the game: "Mae, I don't think you're a bad person but I do not trust you with any part of this process."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RedMagus posted:

When Mae describes how everything broke down into shapes, is that relating to a real mental illness? Closest I can think of is face blindness, ala "Man whose Wife was a Hat". I'd really like to do some reading on that if possible.

I'm no psychologist, but it sounds like a psychotic break with accompanying dissociation.

A Human Ear Alright posted:

Best adventure game, narrative-wise, to come out in a long time.

Some odd sudden jumps in the story like everyone says. It seems to be trying to tell us a story about both Mae's personal struggle with her illness and the town's struggle in the same way. That's almost problematic but they never quite make that link explicit? Like, I think folks would be real mad if this game flat-out said "borderline personality disorder is caused by an eldritch horror eating away at your town and once you defeat it you are fine" but it didn't really go there 100%.

But w/e I forgive "Loom" for its faults on a regular basis and this is better than "Loom".

The link is about as explicit as it can be without getting tediously literal, I think. The cult and the Black Goat are probably real, but they're also treated as equivalents to Mae's deteriorating mental state and the disintegration of Possum Springs - Mae's mental illness isn't caused by the Black Goat, but her dreams definitely reflect it. This is clearest in her encounter with that giant cat-thing in her last dream - "the hole at the center of everything" is a metaphor for the sense of impending existential doom Mae and her generation feels about the world in general. Community is falling apart, the climate is falling apart, capitalism is falling apart. The younger generation is looking more and more like they're going to spend their lives picking over the ruins of prosperity that was promised to them, and there's no higher authority to which they can appeal. Meanwhile, you have the cult, which the game outright calls a group of "conservative dads" who brutalize and kill people they think are the dregs of society (who, surprise surprise, are mostly kids) to appease a force that's beyond their control or comprehension but still, to their knowledge, makes the town a little richer. Even better, the gang points out that the cult actually consists of the town's most prosperous members - so while they go on and on about sacrificing people for the good of the community, they're really just terrified of losing what they already have for themselves.

Nothing is really fixed by the end of the game. Mae is still badly sick, her friends are probably going to drift apart, and the status of her family, her home, and Possum Springs is still in jeopardy, especially without any kind of eldritch pick-me-up. But like she says to the Black Goat, she's tired of trying to numb herself and convince herself that nothing she has matters or is already gone - she wants to get emotional about it and to be in pain when it's gone, because that at least makes it meaningful.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 6, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"We're all gonna die from temperatures and water."

Germ is a sage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Did anyone want a Tom Waits-inspired cover of "Die Anywhere Else?" Then here you go you oddly particular weirdo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I am digging on this guy's voice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

While I appreciate another cover, I still don't think I've found a definitive version that I like yet. Either the "Weird Autumn" chorus is too low or the lead singer just can't really sing.

Given what it's imitating that's practically a feature!

My favorite so far was the surf rock version.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alder posted:

Does Germ live in the woods or is his house nearby the well?

Cut material reveals that he lives in a double-wide in the hills outside town. Nice family. Huge-rear end trampoline.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Nonspoiler answer: the pacing, the tonal shift, the almost complete lack of interactivity or choices

Spoiler answer: I was loving a game about real world people problems and anxieties, fitting in, growing up, making friends, keeping friends happy, keeping yourself happy, exploring the town and hanging out with cool people. Then suddenly it's an actual horror game about a big cult and Actual Cthulhu, which could have been done well but here all it did was bring up about a thousand questions with no answers

They're all about the same thing, one is just a realized metaphor instead of straight realism.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Just got back from the party with Bea. Was I supposed to read Mae as queer from the beginning? Felt like I missed out on that piece of exposition somewhere.

There's references to it dropped elsewhere but the game doesn't treat any of it as a big deal.

And Mae's outlook and personality isn't changed much by your input, on the end. She's less Chloe from LiS and more Walker from Spec Ops the Line, only she's dropping WP on her social life.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Was there ever any real payoff to feeding your rats other than the achievement?

The epilogue chapter reveals that your efforts have fostered a plague of rats upon downtown Possum Springs. Congratulations, you bringer of pestilence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm kind of wondering about the unwritten aftermath of the game. Didn't like a dozen people, who presumably have others that would be worried about their whereabouts, just go missing -- all at once? Aunt Mall Cop gonna be busy.

There's a decent chance that Molly was one of them, though that's all just speculation.

And there's some pretty strong broadcasting that Bruce committed suicide. On top of how idyllic his description of the coming reunion with his kids was, Mae then asks if they'll see each other again and he replies with something like "we'll all meet again someday," plus Karen's quietly devastated reaction with Mae breaks the news. The guy probably would have been fed to the hole if he hadn't offed himself, though. Really no good outcome either way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

Seeing that comparison pop up again and again got me thinking about the tagline to the game. In the context of the climax I read it as some poignant advice on how to live your life, that when things look dark and hard, reach out to those around you and even if things aren't great. Even in the face of insurmountable pain, you can still find solace in your friends and the community you build around yourself.

But I guess it can also be a sort of... warning? That when people face the end of their way of life and the world seems to leave them behind, they can and will look for any solution to keep things from changing or to keep themselves from disappearing. Even if it doesn't actually do anything.

It's absolutely both of those things, and the game even calls it out as such. It's undercut a little by Angus (who is, by far, the character most qualified to pass judgement on this situation) going "no, gently caress 'em," but NitW is at least partly about the extremes people can go to when confronted by "the hole at the center of everything," the looming dissolution of everything you cared about or believed was important.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Quorum posted:

So I blew though this in a couple days and it was v good! Not too much I have to say about it that hasn't already been touched on, including goggling at the terrific / awful timing of its release, but I do want to bring up the janitor.

Earlier in the thread people were dismissing him as just a janitor but he definitely knows way more than he should, plus he keeps turning up in situations he doesn't have much business being in.

Someone pointed out that the weird teens mention three conceptions of God: caring but absent, present but uncaring, and ravenous and roaming. Present but uncaring sums up Catgod nicely, and what is Black Goat but ravenous, so which entity is the caring but absent god? Maybe the janitor, who is after all a bird like all the religious iconography is.

I mean I think it's intentionally fairly ambiguous but it would explain why Catgod never met the God the little people kept describing to it: he's a sneaky, subtle bastard who mostly just cleans up messes and rigs vending machines, which you can interpret as a metaphor if you like.

The Janitor is probably not just a janitor, yeah, but it's still kept ambiguous like all the game's supernatural elements. A few more interesting things about him is that he introduces himself as "the forest god" in the Harfest play, jokingly says he's "as old as these trees" in the game's epilogue, and the cemetery appears to have a statue in his likeness.

When he appears at Mae's bedside he also claims to be "fixing a door" elsewhere, which matches with the Sky Cat constantly talking about tears in the sky - the Black Goat is ripping up the fabric between our reality and that of the things beyond, and one of these tears is probably the reason Mae is affected by its influence. The Sky Cat says that it's closing up its own tear because it's tired of all these silly little non-nihilistic critters talking to it. The janitor is probably helping to fix the hole in Mae.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alder posted:

I thought it was Mae's personality since she is friends with Gregg and they used to commit crimes in HS. Most of her problems with mental illness occur when she was in college and during the ending scenes. She is not a Bad Person per se but just a different type of MC than what I'm used to for story games.

Angus pretty much sums her up in "Legends" when he says, "Mae I don't think you're a bad person but I do not trust you with any part of this process." She's smart enough to know right from wrong but she has Complications when it comes to interacting with polite society.

I like how she still tends to hit it right off with outcasts and weirdos like Lori M., Germ, and the Hollerers for the same reason she constantly strikes out with normal people - she's too oblivious to really know what she should or shouldn't do in social situations, so it lets her reach out to people who'd otherwise be ignored.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The best/worst part about Mae's social pratfalls is that she's totally oblivious to them. You'd think that some part of her brain would be screaming "STOOOOOOOPPPPP" during things like her little exchange at the college party but nope, nothing to worry about here!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arkannoyed posted:

Super Best Friends just started an LP of NitW, and their intro is pretty cool.

Reading every line in wacky voices is going to sink that one quick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Don't worry about it. You don't have to do well to pass (and there's actually an achievement for sucking hard at all of them) and the final one will break your puny fingers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

You could probably make a good video game that was exclusively about exploring and messing with the concept of choice as seen in games so far.

It was called The Stanley Parable and it was grand.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bea is bae

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've liked most of the covers I've heard but the Taking Back Sunday edition's a bit much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This one really deserves more attention than it's gotten.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Are there any highly recommended versions of the other three songs, or is Die Anywhere Else the one everyone covers?

Soft Girl's version of Weird Autumn" is pretty much the definitive one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyODHwluaY

Though this guy does a good job of it too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrlhY-JwrQ

Pumpkin Head Guy is covered less often but this one's decent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JuvjsjezWs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Saw Kentucky Route Zero mentioned a couple times in this thread and it's part of the current humble bundle. Worry picking up for $7.50?

I'd rate KR0 as one of the best-written games ever made and every installment improves on the last, it's definitely worth a buy even if we may all be dead before the final Act is released.