Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought the earlier Budokai games had Raditz die very messily? Are they censoring the later Dragon Ball games?

No, that's just graphical limits in action. I don't think any Budokai game had a messy death for Raditz, since they use in-engine cutscenes, thus the model can only go so far.

The censoring actually happened in the anime, with Kai, due to changes in what can be shown in TV. The open wound from the Makankosappo became a burn mark. It's silly.

Also, I'll be the first person to say it: I really don't like Infinite World. I think the negative reviews are what the game deserves. If it is meant to be a celebration of the Budokai series, it does an awful job. Cutting out several characters in favour of GT is bad. The minigames are horrendous, with the checkpoint one being slow, boring and nonsensical. The difficulty curve is bad as well, but I feel in general the Budokai series has problems with difficulty spikes. I genuinely can't see a reason to recommend this game over Budokai 3 or Shin Budokai.

About the video itself, I don't think the checkpoints look like the XV gates at all beyond being hexagonal. The checkpoints here are pretty simple and sharp, while the XV gates have spheres on each corner, in black and white, having an overall slightly more complex design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You call this a celebration of Budokai, and don't understand why you're Yamcha in the taunting training? Yamcha vs Tenshinhan was the taunting training in Budokai 3 as well. That said, there it had actual dialogue between both that was funny and made the training nicer by having some character bits, something that isn't present here because that'd take more effort than they were willing to put, apparently.

Though i have to give credit to the cutscenes, they are pretty well done, better than the VN-style ones in Budokai 3. But Budokai 3 also had a world map that let you see different things and didn't lock you to Goku, so...one step forward, two steps back.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god, Recoome's post-ultimate explosion has the Ginyu Force logo in it. That's wonderful.

What isn't wonderful is that Porunga model, holy poo poo that's ugly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This shows exactly why putting the focus only on Goku is a terrible idea. Goku spends a lot of the series off-screen, so the others can shine a bit, especially in this saga - giving us this mess of minigames with only one fight. A fight that isn't even the climax of the saga, because that was Gohan's.

Talking about Gohan, I don't get why the training here has less attention to detail than in Budokai 3. In that game, Gohan had his Vegeta-style armour, and in the tutorial that was meant to happen in this part he was correctly shown in it (Goku, not having said outfit, had his epilogue clothes instead since...at least they're blue, close enough). Here, both have their usual clothes which they did not wear at this part. There's no reason for this, considering this isn't a whole new game, it's still Budokai, and the textures should still be usable.

Also the Dragon Ball minigame looked lame but I'll give them credit for having Goku as a Super Saiyan in it, since at this point in the story neither him nor Gohan left the form except to sleep so they could properly master it. Also I can't complain about having an easy way to get the Dragon Balls when it can get grindy and annoying in other games.

Finally, you pointed out that Cell was intelligent enough to use his super move mid-combo but you couldn't. I distinctively remember this not being the case in Budokai 3, where four squares then circle would have Goku use the Kamehameha as his combo ender (and I think the same combination applied to other characters, though my memory is a bit hazier there). Is that not the case anymore?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did Cell have his Imperfect voice for that fight? That seems to be a thing with these DB games.

It's inevitable. Only the English dub gives each Cell form a different voice. As such, the voicebanks for all of Cell's forms in-game are the same, thus no matter the transformation, they'll remain the same.

This isn't the case in Xenoverse 2 entirely because Cell (Imperfect) and Cell (Perfect) are separate characters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, so now the game gives fights to people other than Goku? Why not do that before? Weird game!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That battle with Kid Buu really did look frantic as hell. It must've been a lot of fun!

Also I'll never understand why the Budokai series gives Kid Buu's ultimate the name "Instant Transmission Kamehameha". There's no Instant Transmission at all in it, and if you block, there isn't even a Kamehameha!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Wait, it has a Kamehameha if you don't block successfully?

Yeah, if attack wins, Kid Buu finishes the move with a gigantic Kamehameha that even overwrites the Vanishing Ball.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Too good AI is poo poo to fight against and this is no different. That the GT Saga is unfun and painful to go through is true to the series though!

I'll give Infinite World points for actually adapting at least a bit of GT's super mind-screw of an ending though. I expected none of it.

Talking about mind-screw endings...what the gently caress was that credit roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

There are additional fights that unlock after the credits, and a Survival game mode. But I had absolutely no desire to play the game even remotely longer, especially since many of the fights are repeats with different characters.

While it is boring, you could show them on Very Easy or whatever. Don't play on Normal because even that is bullshit, but just to show what else the game has to offer and maybe, just maybe, show the slightest bit of originality in it so it isn't 100% a worse product than Budokai 3 with its neat what-ifs or Budokai 2 where the only good thing was its what-ifs because the gameplay sure as hell was not good.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The extra cutscenes were hidden in the credits. It is amazing how little was shown.
What is the deal with the ki bars under your health being small or large?

GamesAreSupernice is wrong in this one, actually. The large Ki bars are "static", to put it in some way - the small Ki bars gradually drain even if you aren't using any Ki moves, but the large ones won't drain on their own. Furthermore, the large Ki bars, in the previous Budokai games at least and most likely in this one as well, represent your power up to 100%, going beyond that in Ki means your character's stats are pushed beyond their normal. Having less than the big bars won't push it below 100% though IIRC.

• Locked thread