Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

To be fair, aside from the "I'd vote for Obama a third time" line which was probably just a line to make the dad seem like a garden variety vaguely racist white liberal dad instead of a sociopath, there's no real proof that any of the white people in the movie are liberal. I mean, most of them are pretty much full blown "blacks have an extra bone in their body"/"blacks have it better than whites" white supremacists.

It's probably over simplifying to say it's just about liberals, but it's definitely focused on them. The dad is the most obvious example with his "I would have voted for Obama" thing and him talking about how it was a good thing Jesse Owens beat his father. The attitude he puts off through the movie is of a guy who it a little too cool with things and is desperately trying to be seen as enlightened. Beating even that though is Stephen Root's character who is so enlightened that he doesn't even care about Kaluuya's skin color. He doesn't see race! (or anything for that matter...because he's blind...get it?) However, with some of the characters, yes, it gets into weird phrenology territory where they're making assumption that Black people are a essentially an exotic alien creature with super powers.

As I said in the bit you quoted, the movie is mainly about the hosed up, insincere things white people say to show that they're not racist. It's a movie about people that say Obama is "articulate", except in this not only are they sincere, they think if they were Obama they would be more articulate to. It's a movie that takes those statements and calls their bluff. Like I was discussing it with my friend and we'd talk about the motivations and he kept getting hung up because the reasons for wanting these black people was so stupid and senseless and every time he realized that was probably the point.

Also, while I'm writing, can I just give a shout out to how good Williams is in the movie, especially how loving creepy she becomes the second she puts her hair up in a ponytail. Betty Gabriel and Keith Stanfield are also great, doing so much their performance simple through their eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Pretty sure the timeline is that they were still hypnotized at that point and weren't turned into the grandparents until sometime between Chris discovering the truth and his escape.

No, they're the grandparents every time we see them in the movie. That's why the gardener is running around and Georgina spends so much time just admiring hey beauty in a mirror

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, I forgot to mention it but special shout out to the hypnotism scene which was just amazingly well put together. it just slowly built up so well and that rhythmic clanking of the teacup was unnerving as hell

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
the way the grandparents act in the their bodies makes sense if you think of them actually g like they think the help are supposed to act. They are trying to appear normal and to them they are doing what they think works be normal for how a black person to act which is why it often comes across all minstrily

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

why does the maid/grandma start crying during the talk in the bedroom?

it's the original person peaking through as she's forced to be so close to being able to get help from someone but so far while also knowing her inability to act is leading someone else to the same fate

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well, while the brain swap stuff isn't accomplished by any supernatural means, it might as well be (not that I think that's a problem).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought an antihero was more of someone that does morally questionable things to achieve their own goals yet is the focus of the story rather than someone who is just passive. I don't think I've ever seen antihero defined by passiveness, lack of curiosity and inability to work things out.

• Locked thread