Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Khazar-khum posted:

Elephants and a few breeds of horses don't trot. Instead, they do a running walk, an intermediate gait where they're always keeping one foot on the ground so they don't bounce.

Here's a video showing the running walk. You'll notice the riders are sitting smoothly, no matter how fast the horse is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JBa8n_tN1U

Power-walking is just as lame when animals do it as it is when humans do. Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1989 scientists detected an unusual whale call. It's frequency is at 52 hertz while usual whale call is at 20 frequencies. Since 2014 scientists have detected the whale call every year (they have never actually seen it). They have never heard any whale respond to the whale call, Blue 52 (as the scientists calls it) is the loneliest whale in the world.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Speaking of bees, the Japanese honey bee has an inventive method of defense against giant hornets. The hornets are huge bastards. Their exoskeleton is too thick for bee stringers to penetrate and once they discover a hive, it takes only a handful of the enormous fuckers to decimate it. To cope with the threat, the bees will mob any scouting mega-wasps they encounter and form a compact bee-ball around the intruder. They then hang on and vibrate their flight muscles to generate heat, until the stupid hornet dies from heat stroke. Some of the bees parish as well, but I can only imagine that their heroic deeds live on in story and song because gently caress wasps.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On the subject of gently caress wasps, Scrub jays are the only new world birds that will eat the loving things. They catch a wasp at the "waist" in their beaks so the wasp can't angle a sting, the Jay then rips the stinger off with a foot, tosses it and eats the rest of the wasp. After eating enough of the adults it'll knock down the nest and eat all the eggs and larvae.

I only gas the nests a jay can't get to because I love watching those crazy blue assholes get their wasp murder on.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Boxer crabs walk around holding sea anemones in their claws so they can gently caress up prey and competition with the anemones' stingers.

Also if they lose one of the anemones they'll rip the remaining one in half, and both halves will grow back into whole anemones.

The anemones are cool with this relationship because it offers them protection and mobility / access to food.

http://www.popsci.com/boxer-crabs-thieving-cloning-anemones

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Alhazred posted:

In 1989 scientists detected an unusual whale call. It's frequency is at 52 hertz while usual whale call is at 20 frequencies. Since 2014 scientists have detected the whale call every year (they have never actually seen it). They have never heard any whale respond to the whale call, Blue 52 (as the scientists calls it) is the loneliest whale in the world.

Goon project: We should find it and kill it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Goon project: We should find it and killgently caress it.

Slam
Whale

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Poor little goon whale.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Skippy McPants posted:

Speaking of bees, the Japanese honey bee has an inventive method of defense against giant hornets. The hornets are huge bastards. Their exoskeleton is too thick for bee stringers to penetrate and once they discover a hive, it takes only a handful of the enormous fuckers to decimate it. To cope with the threat, the bees will mob any scouting mega-wasps they encounter and form a compact bee-ball around the intruder. They then hang on and vibrate their flight muscles to generate heat, until the stupid hornet dies from heat stroke. Some of the bees parish as well, but I can only imagine that their heroic deeds live on in story and song because gently caress wasps.

The heat tolerances are really close as well, the bees vibrate their bodies to bring the temperature up to 117 degrees. They can survive up to 118 degrees without being cooked, the wasp can only handle 115.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

nature is metal as gently caress

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The heat tolerances are really close as well, the bees vibrate their bodies to bring the temperature up to 117 degrees. They can survive up to 118 degrees without being cooked, the wasp can only handle 115.

I want this to be true :science:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I want this to be true :science:

It is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6m40W1s0Wc

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Sociopastry posted:

nature is metal as gently caress

PYF Cool Animal Facts: Nature is metal as gently caress

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

How the hell does a behavior like this evolve?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

I would posit the defense was about swarming to sting to death but happened to conveniently work in a different way

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

You could ask the same for that fungus that releases just the right combination of drugs to make an ant crawl to the top of a blade of grass, bite the end of the blade, and stick its body out, waiting for a cow to eat it and continue the fungal life cycle. Must've taken a whole lot of trial and error to hit on that particular cocktail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSUU3E9ZoM

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hairy frogs are wolverines who push their own bones out of their skin to make claws

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

FACT: Bears eat beets. Bears, beets Battlestar Galactica.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Manatees can maintain their buoyancy by constantly ripping rear end.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Crows use traffic to crack nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGPGknpq3e0

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Psycho Society posted:

Worker bees are disposable -- evolutionary fitness depends on having more kids, so the sterile worker bees are willing to kamikaze to protect the queen. The bees that overcooked themselves died and the hornet's buddies killed off the colony either that time or on the next attack, the bees that happened to get hot enough to kill the hornets without killing themselves and lived to fight another day saved their hives and so passed on that ability.

Not animals, but today while randomly browsing wikipedia, I learned that plants evolve for mimicry too -- the weeds start to look like the crops in order to avoid getting, well, weeded out, and eventually become crops themselves. Rye and oats, now staple crops themselves, began as weeds in wheatfields, and evolved to look like the wheat because the farmers uprooted everything that didn't look like wheat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Worker bees are disposable -- evolutionary fitness depends on having more kids, so the sterile worker bees are willing to kamikaze to protect the queen. The bees that overcooked themselves died and the hornet's buddies killed off the colony either that time or on the next attack, the bees that happened to get hot enough to kill the hornets without killing themselves and lived to fight another day saved their hives and so passed on that ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

Oh yeah for sure, I mostly meant how a behavior could evolve that's utility is predicated on a complicated end state, like literally surrounding an armored wasp and shivering until it dies. Intermediary behaviors would have to provide an advantage as well.

The other posters also answered this question really well too. It was probably an extention of swarming and stinging a more vulnerable predator. Probably some sort of arms race thing going on too where the colony and the wasps adapt to each other over time.

As for oats, that's very badass and it's crazy how farmers literally cultivated new useful crops by accident. Life is crazy

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The stingers of hymenopterans (bees, wasps, etc) are modified ovipositors

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

The stingers of hymenopterans (bees, wasps, etc) are modified ovipositors

Animal genitals in general is just a never ending horror show:

That's the genitals of the male bat bugs which mating ritual has rightfully been referred to as "traumatic insemination".

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
platypus mothers bear milk but they don't have nipples so they curl up their bodies in a half circle to squeeze the milk out of their skin and have it run down the wrinkles to where the baby sits with its mouth open

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
there was a experiment where tortoises were taught to use touch screens to get food and were pretty successful I think. also there's spiders that are capable of abstract 3d visualization of terrain to climb around behind and over prey to attack from a more favourable angle

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

violent sex idiot posted:

platypus mothers bear milk but they don't have nipples so they curl up their bodies in a half circle to squeeze the milk out of their skin and have it run down the wrinkles to where the baby sits with its mouth open

Platypuses really are nature's practical joke.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I seriously thought they were made up until way too late, like 15ish or so

What a bizarre animal

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Every time I think I pretty much have a handle on platypi, another weird fact that makes no drat sense about them comes to my attention.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Platypi are often known as "God's strangest and cruelest joke". But the platypi still do their best every single day, and nobody can ask more of them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Platypuses are great relics of older mammalian groups.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

So did most people when it was discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

A Spider Covets posted:

Like, 15 minutes ago, you mean?

• Locked thread