Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

5:30 PST tonight, the upper crust of Hollywood does their annual attempt to see how far they can shove their own dicks down their own throats.
Have you seen any of these films? I tied my record for "most nominated films seen," this year, with one. Zootopia.
But that's not going to stop me from making an arbitrary game to make the ceremony way more fun... like an

OSCAR PREDICTIONS CONTEST!
Free to enter, winner gets beer.

Don't say "I know nothing about these movies," nobody does, nobody has time. Just guess or look it up.

You can use this printable ballot, or just list the categories and your pick for winner. To make it even easier, I list the categories at the end.

If you post your entry in this thread, don't edit it after 5:30 PST

http://www.vanityfair.com/oscars-20...2017-ballot.pdf

Deadline is Sunday at 530 PST

Categories:
Best Picture
Best Actor
Best Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Director
Foreign Language Film
Makeup and Hairstyling
Cinematography
Film Editing
Short Film (Live Action)
Sound Mixing
Visual Effects
Original Score
Original Song
Sound Editing
Original Screenplay
Adapted Screenplay
Costume Design
Documentary Feature
Documentary Short Subject
Production Design
Animated Feature
Animated Short

Also feel free to discuss nominated films in this thread. Did anyone see LALA Land or Moonlight? Are they really that great, or is the hype machine off the rails?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Zootopia will get Best Animated, and ought to. I don't often agree that the Disney/Pixar powerhouse should dominate, but Zootopia is a really solid film.

Under no circumstances will Trolls get best song with Timberlake's "Can't Stop That Feeling", but the music direction in that film is unbelievably good, really. But I hope Moana's "How Far I'll Go" doesn't win because I can't even loving remember that song, and Moana wasn't that good overall.

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 26, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I think Zootopia will get Best Animated, and ought to. I don't often agree that the Disney/Pixar powerhouse should dominate, but Zootopia is a really solid film.

What did you like about it in particular? I liked how they handled the spooky settings with a gritty dash of realism. In fact, the real-world-bites is kind of a pervasive theme throughout

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'd watch but I'm straight.

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately
Why are all the oscars shaped like men?! Even for best actress 🤔

Also La la land will win everything

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Looking forward to self-important political acceptance speeches. Like it makes a difference.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I watched MOONLIGHT it was touching and stuff

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
i lik moovie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

What did you like about it in particular? I liked how they handled the spooky settings with a gritty dash of realism. In fact, the real-world-bites is kind of a pervasive theme throughout

I thought it was nuanced and interesting. The characters had real flaws and real personalities. There are a lot of realistic conflicts communicated simultaneously. The moral is actually a useful one. It's not sexualized or crass. Visually, it is stunning, and the pacing is great. It's funny, charming, scary, exciting, wondrous, cutting, and heartwarming. Really, it just covers the bases for a really loving good filmgoing experience.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

I watched MOONLIGHT it was touching and stuff

I heard it was pretty cliche.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i keep seein adds for manchester by the sea and it looks like the most terrible oscar bait movie possible im not gonna watch it but i still hate it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tolkien minority posted:

i keep seein adds for manchester by the sea and it looks like the most terrible oscar bait movie possible im not gonna watch it but i still hate it

Its quite good.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I heard it was pretty cliche.

It's too on the nose, but Mahershala Ali was great for the thirty minutes he's in it

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Its quite good.

he said, about a 2 and a half hour parenthood drama starring casey affleck

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I hope Mel Gibson wins.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I just wanna see some dresses

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Starship troopers will win best visual effects

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
This thing's gonna go over by like an hour as each winner talks over the orchestra to deliver their carefully crafted political screeds while half drunk

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
2017 OSCAR PREDICTIONS!!!

The Film That Jerks Off Hollywoods Flaccid Old Penis Aka La La Land will sweep despite it was the corniest piece of hot trash.

Hollywood will continue to pat itself on the back for having a couple of Black Oscar Bait films. including Black Gay Drama, Black Stage Adaptation That No One Saw, and Black Female Led Historical Drama With Fabricated White Savior Designed To Assuage Liberal White Guilt

Everyone will hoot and holler about Lin Manuel Miranda making some dumb political comment.

Mel Gibson will continue to be blacklisted despite making some violent WWII movie I didn't even know existed.

That short film directed by that Iranian guy who wasn't allowed into the states will get talked about

Hell or High Water will be totally ignored, because it was basically No Country For Old Men and Point Break rolled into one.

Arrival will be ignored, outside of maybe some technical stuff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lin manuel miranda said the oscars this year will be political like your twitter or facebook feed, so i'm not going to watch a second of that ego-wanking trash. remember when michael moore was laughed at by everyone for shoehorning in a "gently caress bush" rant into his oscar acceptance speech? that's the correct response to what everyone will be doing tonight, not a bunch of essays calling them "brave"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there is practically a genre for oscar-friendly movies now

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thathonkey posted:

yes, it's called "Best Picture"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you know drat well what i mean !!!

i hope at least because i sure don't

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I heard la la land was about jazz, literally the worst genre of music

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Pick posted:

I heard la la land was about jazz, literally the worst genre of music

It's about Jazz and Old Timey 50s movies aka poo poo that people pretend to care about to sound smart

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I never get these right but I'll give it a shot
Best Picture - LaLa Land
Best Actor - Andrew Garfield
Best Actress - Natalie Portman
Best Supporting Actor - Lucas Hedges
Best Supporting Actress - Nicole Kidman
Best Director - Mel Gibson
Foreign Language Film - The Salesman
Makeup and Hairstyling - A Man Called Ove
Cinematography - Arrival
Film Editing - Hell or High Water
Short Film (Live Action) - Ennemis Intérieurs
Sound Mixing - La La Land
Visual Effects - Kubo and the Two Strings
Original Score - Lion
Original Song - La La Land
Sound Editing - Arrival
Original Screenplay - Manchester By The Sea
Adapted Screenplay - Hidden Figures
Costume Design - Fantastic Beasts
Documentary Feature - I Am Not Your Negro
Documentary Short Subject - Watani: My Homeland
Production Design - Hail Caesar
Animated Feature - Zootopia
Animated Short - Pearl

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I wonder if one of the Hollywood multi-millionaires will be brave enough make pithy remarks about Trump in their acceptance speech?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

Flames on the side of my face

e: this was supposed to be a response to Pick's jazz hating post

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 26, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

I wonder if one of the Hollywood multi-millionaires will be brave enough make pithy remarks about Trump in their acceptance speech?
you'd better believe it, and the internet will absolutely call them "brave" for making their remarks at the awards show with the largest collection of fevered egos

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Natalie Portman was so great in Jackie and gave the best performance she'll probably ever give but goddamn I did not like that movie one bit.

She should still win though.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

shut up netface posted:

2017 OSCAR PREDICTIONS!!!

The Film That Jerks Off Hollywoods Flaccid Old Penis Aka La La Land will sweep despite it was the corniest piece of hot trash.

Hollywood will continue to pat itself on the back for having a couple of Black Oscar Bait films. including Black Gay Drama, Black Stage Adaptation That No One Saw, and Black Female Led Historical Drama With Fabricated White Savior Designed To Assuage Liberal White Guilt

Everyone will hoot and holler about Lin Manuel Miranda making some dumb political comment.

Mel Gibson will continue to be blacklisted despite making some violent WWII movie I didn't even know existed.

That short film directed by that Iranian guy who wasn't allowed into the states will get talked about

Hell or High Water will be totally ignored, because it was basically No Country For Old Men and Point Break rolled into one.

Was Rogue One the Black Gay Drama?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i liked la la land but im very confused as to why it's the consensus best picture nod

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

i liked la la land but im very confused as to why it's the consensus best picture nod

In recent years, films that deal with the Hollywood lifestyle have won it: Birdman and The Artist, off the top of my head

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Drunk Nerds posted:

In recent years, films that deal with the Hollywood lifestyle have won it: Birdman and The Artist, off the top of my head

i mean it was cute (emma stone :swoon:) but it's cliche as gently caress

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Just think about the most bleak, self absorbed and melodramatic movies ever, put them in a marathon and thats basically the oscars.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Whomupclicklike, thanks for entering!

For "best song," you have LaLa Land. But there are two La La Land songs in that category.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Where are all the cool action or sci fi movies? Where is star wars?

I dont want to watch a movie about a gay black teenager trying to escape poverty and drug abuse over the span of 3 decades

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

i mean it was cute (emma stone :swoon:) but it's cliche as gently caress

Didn't Crash win one year, and that was like the most cliche piece of crap everw

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Something ado about sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

shut up netface posted:

Arrival was p good I just saw it last night.

I got really sad when Abbott was death process.

• Locked thread