Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
A new day dawns on the World of Arcadia, and the Townstead of Ashbrook is as lively as it's ever been. That is to say, incredibly chaotic as it becomes clearer every passing day that Lady Esther Kyrios has absolutely no idea how to manage the village. It’s difficult to say if it’s fortunate or unfortunate that Ashbrook is close to as many major trade routes as it is, because every resource that’s bought seems to get spent just as quickly. But that’s just life as normal, it seems, so time to get to work!

Honyopnyoko

It’s a bright and sunny morning in Arcadia, which is less pleasant for you than most others. Still, you won’t let that get you down, because you got a job to finish! With all the bandits, monsters, and who knows what else around town, Lady Kyrios ‘asked’ you several days ago to put that enchanting of yours to good use in figuring out a way to improve the town’s defenses. Though, somehow you got the sense she didn’t realize you were only an apprentice…alas. What’s this big improvement you’ve been working on, and what’s the crucial flaw you haven’t been able to fix?

Stonehorn

Another day, another bunch of inane orders for the resident butler. At least, that’s what you expected, but for once it seems as if you’ll have a fairly easy day. Skilled as you are, it’s been difficult to manage the entire manor by yourself, so Lady Kyrios put out a special request for extra help. More than a few willing servants showed up, but tight as the treasury is, you only had the gold to hire one. Leaving the responsibility of the final decision to you, as she is want to do, who did you eventually hire in the end, and what was it about them that convinced you they were the right choice?

Lamija Bladesworn

Warm as the day is on your scales, you can’t help but feel like this would be the perfect weather to sit in the sun and soak it in. No time for that, though, because the store’s seeing a lot of customers today, both from in and out of town! From the sound of things, it seems like some of the local monster nests are beginning to overpopulate, and are causing no end of trouble in the region. Which one caught your attention the most, and why?

Byzantiel

The sun has risen over Ashbrook, and you- Oh, for the love of the Gods! Despite your best efforts at administration, you realize as you glance over the now lacking resource inventory that somehow Lady Kyrios has snuck around your back and ordered the construction of something rather impressive in scope but also utterly useless. What is this piece of junk, and what’s the plan for making up the extensive costs?

Kumo Tsugami

A new day means a new round of messages to be delivered, which means a whole lot of busy work for you! While your initial trip was easy as can be, it was a lot more difficult on the way back home, because that mean old dragon from the nearby mountains started circling the area! What was it that seemed to be catching the dragon’s interest, and how did you manage to slip by without getting eaten?

The Sixth RangerPlayer…?

Now, what’s this? It seems as if the villagers of Ashbrook have forgotten all about you! Hard to believe, considering your… everything. Maybe they need a reminder, eh? Just a gentle one though! You don’t want to make too much of a mess. As for what counts as ‘too much,’ well… it’s probably fine so long as no one dies, right? Tell me about a good old prank you pulled off with those fancy tricks of yours, and someone you unintentionally angered while doing so.

Everyone

As the afternoon draws near and your various affairs begin to slow down, you each hear a loud cry echoing throughout the village.

“Yahoo! Sorry to interrupt, everyone, but can anyone who’s not busy at the moment come down by the manor? Thank you!”

And with that, Lady Kyrios’ voice dies away. And of course, she didn’t explain what she wanted at all. Oh well. Nothing to do but drop by, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: -

Honyopnyoko sits in her workplace (which amounts to a decently large building, the front half being a small clinic, and the back being her entchantment workshop, with the second floor being her living space), grumbing as she works away at an experiment.

At the end of her wits, she pulls at her hair in frustration.

"This is just not working! Gahhhh!" she yells out, at nobody in particular. In front of the despairing vampire lie various tools for enchantments. Thanks to Lamija's suggestion, Hoynopnyoko had come to understand that the walls have proven to be sturdy enough to withhold most attacks, but the gates are still a major weak point. As such, she had attempted to find a way to improve it's sturdiness, or some sort of counter-attack measure. However, as it turns out, wood is an awful base material to enchant. It can only hold low-level enchantments, or ones made specifically to be used on wood.

As such, Lady Kyrios' summons came like a godsent to Honyopnyoko. She was going to have to apologize for her lack of success, but at the very least the headache-inducing experiments could be postponed for a bit... But what if the lady is going to be angry at her for taking so long...?

Locking the door to the workshop securely, the anxious Honyopnyoko leaves the building and heads for the manor.

quote:

High Concept:
Vampire Dark Cleric
Monster Races face the unique problem of having very different physiologies. The biggest differences are with undead, which get damaged by healing spells - as such, ordinary Clerics would not be able to fulfill their role. With that in mind, the monster-only Dark Cleric class, which has access to both positive energy and negative energy magic, was created.

Honyopnyoko is one of these Dark Clerics. Freshly out of training, but don't worry! She'll remember which spell to use. Most of the time...

Other Aspects:
Apprentice Enchanter
The problem with being a Cleric is that people only pay you when they get hurt. As such, sometimes she ran into trouble just trying to get by, and decided to pick up a secondary line of work.

Fan Favorite
For one reason or another, Honyopnyko is pretty popular - especially with people of the other gender. Especially of the player sort. Perhaps it's because she's actually quite cute, the fact that she provides healing, or even enchanting. Or any combination thereof.

A real Vampire
Well, it's not like there are fake vampires (at least that she's aware of) but being a vampire grants her the usual vampire tricks - such as turning into a bat, hypnosis, and so on. Of course, this also means she needs to drink blood.

Trouble:
Cowardly Bat
As a cleric, especially of the squishy robe-using kind, Honyopnyoko isn't exactly a front line fighter. In fact, she had very little experience in combat so far, and has a phobia of pointy things. And large things. And burning things. You get the point.

Approaches:
Careful: Fair (+2)
Clever: Good (+3)
Flashy: Average (+1)
Forceful: Mediocre (+0)
Quick: Average (+1)
Sneaky: Fair (+2)

Stunts:

Good thing you can heal: Because it's a good thing I can heal, I can downgrade a Moderate Consequence into a Mild Consequence, or a Severe Consequence into a Moderate Consequence once per session.

Pretty Face: Because I have a pretty face, I get +2 to Carefully Overcome a difficult situation regarding Players diplomatically.

Strange Beast of Holy Darkness: Because I am a strange beast of holy darkness, I get a +2 to Cleverly Attack an enemy weak to either element.

Refresh: 3

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 11, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Byzantiel stood.

There really was no other term that could be used to describe what was happening, and the villagers knew well enough to steer clear of the angel when he did. Perfectly still, faceless head staring forward, showing no expression. It stood, contemplating the excessively huge marble fountain that had been procured for the town square. A towering sight, white and resplendent, as well as largely out of its element, surrounded by the rather 'utilitarian' wooden buildings that flanked the square as it was.

Time passed.

"Unwise" Byzantiel remarked eventually in its droning monotone, "This Vanity Element exceeds the current financial carrying capacity of the Settlement thus the Settlement Administration Authority cannot recommend its purchase or upkeep. It is the solemn opinion of the Settlement Administration Authority that element in question should be scuttled however taking into account past precedent the owner is not projected to agree to said measure even though it is the wisest course of action."

"Thus it is necessary to increase Settlement revenue until Vanity Element under discussion is paid for or risk foreclosure. This is a fate that the owner wishes to avoid thus temporary realignment of Settlement assets is necessary if no new assets can be procured."

Byzantiel drew up some plans as he answered the summons. Pointlessly detailed as always, but they could be summarized broadly as thus: Either reassign guard detail as mercenaries for funds (thus lowering Settlement Security Rating), Sell harvested resources instead of expanding the Settlement (Settlement growth will be halted until debt is paid), procure treasure to sell (all the cool loot will go into paying off this stupid pointless thing), scuttle other Settlement assets to pay for it (sell some other stuff that we might actually need), or secure some boost to Settlement revenue (a new trade route perhaps, or secure new resource gathering locations. These tend to be contested by other settlements however, taken that they're universally valuable).

None were options that Byzantiel particularly liked, but the owner would just have to pick their poison.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Kumo was observing the big old dragon. The situation seemed that the dragon was... hungry? Looked like there was something interesting-smelling that it was moaning about... Kumo turned to look in the direction of the inn. Probably lunch. It would certainly explain the slightly dazed look it had. Well, she probably should get home before she got eaten... and that's when the panic kicked in.

"Waaaaaaaaah!" the tsukumogami comically cried in terror. The dragon jerked a little. Well, now, running wasn't an option...

Calming down, Kumo collected herself. Time to do what she did best. Crouching down low and getting onto her broom, Kumo began to gently command her broom to move in the direction of her house. Tactical operations, indeed. "Okay... okay... just a little bit more..." She slowly but surely advanced to her humble abode. "I can do this... I can do this... This is boring..." Eventually, Kumo had enough of this, and at the last second, when she thought she had gotten close enough to her house... she got off and ran inside! Phew, that was a close one... but still, a brilliant success, as expected of Kumo the great! She pumped her fist...

...and that's when she heard Lady Kyrios' announcement. "What!?", she exclaimed in surprise, looking outside. It seemed she took so long to get to her house that it was beginning to become evening. Kumo sighed with an unhappy frown. As a tsukumogami, she couldn't perceive time all that well, and this was one of the dangers. At least the dragon was gone. Taking a breath, the mailwoman left her house and and sky-surfed on her broom to the manor with perhaps, maybe, a tiny bit, too much speed.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
My my my, now how can this be?
Did they start this thing and forget about me?
With a jingle and jangle and customary smile,
You'd better not make that mistake for a while,

The villagers all seem bloated and sad,
the angel, it stares at marble, quite mad,
the girl on the broom all spiralling down,
the vampire cleric face marred by a frown,
the snake in the sun, fangs sharp like swords,
The bull in the suit, serving the lords,

Oh the fun we'll have, the places you'll see,
A carnival ring, eyes filled with glee,
A door to doors more numerous than rats,
A smile that's wider than Cheshire Cat's

The parents awaking to children all painted,
With whitewash faces like they'd just fainted,
No ghosts this morning, it's merely a gesture,
A greeting from this most colourful jester.

Oh no no no, forget about me?
I think not everyone. Fate - 2/3

You want my name? That makes you a fan,
But it's happily given, I am

And I will accept the invitation,
to gather at this new location,
thought you'll find I'm already there,
I'm waiting for you. T'is only fair.
I appear without warning or jingle or jangle,
and into all your lives I will tangle.

Oh the fun we'll have, the place we'll see.
Just so long as you don't expect me to rhyme all the time.

Hahahaha!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: None! | Consequences: None! | Stress: [_] [_] [_]

Lamija rested on her coiled tail behind the counter of her shop, a wide grin on her face. What a day! The sun was shining, the warmth was filling her shop, and business is booming! There had been a steady stream of customers since the doors opened and weapons were figuratively — and in the case of that odd psionic squid-man, literally — flying off the shelves. The locals weren't terribly interested in her more specialized offerings, though she was — of course — glad of their business, but there had been a fair few from out of town who had come after hearing of her collection. Those were where the true money would be made and, hopefully, where unusual blades of all sorts would be offered in trade.

The better part of the morning was spent in a blur of armaments and upselling — "Of course you need the rippled steel blade, good sir! Do you not see the master's stamp by the hilt? It will cut through pineapples and foes alike without dulling the blade!" — but the chatter of the shop's customers cut through from time to time. It seemed that many had fallen afoul of some sort of massive pyramid that had appeared in the sands between the village and the mountain. The travelers complained of the wrapped humanoids and the strange bugs that were flooding the surrounding area. There were even hints of some sort of king lurking within. Lamija nearly salivated at the thought. What weapons might a king's tomb hold? Surely naught but the greatest!

The most interesting customer, however, seemed to be one not unlike their Lady Kyrios. She called herself Aethis, Mistress of the Arcane and was accompanied by a silent undead guardian. She seemed most interested in the pyramid as well and Lamija spent much of the early afternoon discussing the finer points of her collection of exotic weapons. Though Aethis seemed most interested in an enchanted blade that could cut through the toughest of exoskeletons — perhaps she wished to challenge the tomb as well? — Lamija eventually convinced her to purchase an ornate blade that gleamed with holy energies. While it was not her first choice, it was still clearly superior to the rusty hunk of metal that the guardian had been using previously.

It was unfortunate that she didn't have the proper weapon in stock. Poor Honyo had been so busy with the gates lately that she hadn't had time to stop by and talk about the offer to join her staff! While mundane, albeit well-crafted, blades were the foundation of her shop, would it not be most enticing to offer a reliable source of enchanted weapons? Lamija sighed. Missed opportunities. Had her stock been enchanted prior to the rush, it would have surely filled her coffers to the point of bursting! She would have been able to afford a renovated shop, perhaps even one made of hardy stone rather than the ramshackle wooden construction typical to the town.

It was then that Lady Kyrios's announcement echoed throughout the town. Lamija waved dramatically at the last few window-shoppers and said in a tone that was simultaneously delicate and forceful, "Though I am most grateful for your interest in my products, I must ask you to kindly return another time. Please enjoy the rest of your day~!" She moved quickly and herded them out of the store. The patrons were too surprised to put up much resistance and Lamija locked up the door behind herself. She slithered through the streets with deceptive speed as she headed towards the lady's manor.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Stonehorn, beleaguered butler and only one without a fancy text

Hmmm... Sheila Volstallit or Marcus Damascus... It was a tough choice. Ms Volstallit was a maid by trade, trained in stitching, washing, cleaning, embroidery, cooking and other such skills. Mr Damascus, however, was a retired mercenary, who'd had a bit of experience in the field of war and was just looking to hang up the sword and be trained as whatever we needed. While Stonehorn's heart empathised with the retiring mercenary and his desire for a peaceful life, the youth and experience of Ms Volstallit were just too great traits to ignore.

"I'm sorry Mr Damascus, I hope you understand this is not an easy decision for me to make."

He nodded "I'll try the tavern, always looking for muscle they are."

Stonehorn grimaced, the man would be back in the way of the sword again, unfortunate.

Then he heard The Master's announcements and cursed aloud.

"Ivory goddess, another one of those blasted pow-wows! ALICE!" he boomed down the hall, a yelp told him he was heard. "TAKE STOCK OF THE SILVERWARE. Filthy urchins try to nick some every time." He peeked out a window and cursed again "Axehoof, that bloody jester is already here. Charles! Get some food going."

He turned back to his new recruit, who looked uneasy.

"Sheila, find some way to make yourself useful, and quickly now, they'll be upon us like a pack of dogs at any moment."

He straightened his collar and went to take his position behind and to the left of The Master. He hated these meetings so.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Village Theme: Leafre

As you all begin to head on over to Lady Kyrios’ manor (though some of you are already there), there is a sudden burst of noise echoing throughout the village and a,

“Whoops! Forgot to set the background music again. My bad.”

Business as usual, it seemed.

Everyone

That strangeness aside, everyone eventually makes their way into the manor and finds themselves directed into the dining room by a few of the servants. At Stonehorn’s commands, a very delectable looking assortment of dishes have been laid out, with the nearby maids appearing quite exhausted. Seems like they weren’t prepared for this either, and even as you all arrive some plates are still being set down. There at the head of the table is, of course, Lady Kyrios who is watching the proceedings with an excited grin on her face.

“Hey there, everyone. Have a seat! I was planning on jumping right into things, but it’d be a shame to waste all this food, don’t you think?”

Saying that, she takes a bite out of something that looks like… grilled merman? From appearances alone, it doesn’t seem all that appetizing, but she seems to be enjoying it nonetheless. Regardless, whether you all choose to sit and eat or not, Lady Kyrios seems intent on finishing her meal before continuing.

“Oh yeah,” she says in-between bites, “I was running around helping my family out today, so I kind of forgot to check in with you guys. Anything fun happen while I was gone? We didn’t get attacked or anything, did we?”

Mention of her family that you’ve strangely never seen hide or hair of aside, it sounds as if Lady Kyrios wants to be informed about recent events in the village. Well, there’s definitely a few things that’ve happened, but the question is what to say and how to say it… could be a good chance to possibly impress or influence her, if that’s what you’re into. Maybe, anyways. She’s a fairly eccentric ruler, after all.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The petite vampire looks onto the food laid out. Sadly, she couldn't eat any of it. Or rather, she could, but there'd be no taste to it at all. One of the downsides of being a vampire!

So instead, she gracefully drank down the cup of blood provided. She felt rather nice about it being present. The lady clearly trusted her to respond to her summons!

"Oh, your esteemed family is in the area, milady! Eep! I'll provide some sort of enchanted item as a gift right away!" Honyopnyoko declares, before suddenly making a face that reminds one of the metaphorical lightbulb over one's head from having a bright idea.

"T-That reminds me, milady! I've been working really hard to try to improve our defenses. After discussing it with Lamija Bladesworn, we came to the conclusion the wooden gate is the main weak spot. I've experimented with enchanting wood, but it's not very viable!"

She suddenly started sweating bullets (luckily not literally, as those glands have long stopped working, but her face was still the same) as she mentally applauded herself for not mentioning it was due to her own incompetence in the field of enchantment.

"It'll be expensive, but a gate out of iron or silver would not only be sturdier on its own, but it'd also be more receptible of enchantments that improve sturdiness, or perhaps even electrify it or cloak it in flame, milady!" she explains.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Byzantiel ate not, for he was an angel and had no face. He could use consumables with magical properties yes, with the lore contrivance that he could absorb their inherent magic (really, this was just a thing to justify things necessary for game balance), but he never touched food or other upkeep or cosmetic consumables.

Of course, as was readily apparent by now, his lack of mouth in no way made him any less able to offer a deluge of WORDS at the slightest prompt. The angel started to drone.

"The Settlement Administration Authority has no opinion on fun except in cases of morale ratings of villagers however it does have a status report of particular importance to relay. It has come to the attentions of the Settlement Administration Authority that the Owner has procured Vanity Element [Larger Fountain; Marble] that currently exceeds projected revenue of the Settlement at current optimization and settlement production prioritization settings. The Settlement Administration Authority has several suggestion as to how it might be possible to pay for Vanity Element in question and wishes to note that unless action is taken the Settlement risks Foreclosure which according to precedent set by the Owner's past actions is unlikely to be a process of which the Owner would approve."

"In case the Owner is not familiar with Foreclosure procedure, agents of banking guilds shall remove Settlement assets until dept is paid and also take a cut for their work making the cost even higher than if Vanity Element was paid for properly. Note that violent action against agents will make the settlement an [Outlaw Haven] which shall remove Casus Belli restriction protecting smaller settlements (read: Level Restrictions so that the huge kingdom next to you can't just murder you) from our Settlement thus almost certainly resulting in disfavourable outcomes."

Byzantiel stops speaking abruptly after it is done, making no expression or further gesture. It did hand over the written report it made previously, however.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 1, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Lamija politely rested on her coils next to the table. The food did not appear terribly appetizing, though it smelled quite good, but the cute grumble of her stomach prodded her into action. With a brief flourish, she swept her knife through the air and rendered the cut of merman in front of her into perfectly uniform slices. She set the knife back down delicately and speared a slice. It wasn't the best fare she had eaten, but hunger did tend to prove the greatest of spices. As she chewed, she listened to Byzantiel and Honyo report on their activities. It really was a pity about the gates. And, uh, whatever vanity element was causing so many problems. Her store was one of the few lucrative businesses in the village, though, so she felt fairly confident that whatever ended up being "foreclosed on" would be something less essential.

She swallowed, patted her mouth with a cloth, then smiled brightly, "I am happy to report that sales at Levante Blanc today have managed to exceed all expectations! The recent flux of monster nests has done much to generate demand for fine weapons. I have discussed much with travelers and have come to understand that there may be a particularly lucrative nest nearby. They call it The Desert King's Tomb and, as I hear, there are untold riches hidden within its depths. Would plundering its depths not provide us an opportunity to resolve this-" Lamija waves a hand vaguely towards the angel. "-issue of funding?"

Lamija clapped her hands excitedly, "Oh yes! I had nearly forgotten!" She opened a pouch that rested on her torso and pulled forth a small wooden box. She slithered over towards Lady Kyrios, delicately opened the box, and held it towards her with both hands. "Your ladyship is trained as a nurse, yes? Please accept my offering of the blade Silent Sting. It should prove most useful both as a medical implement and a weapon." The blade in question seemed, in most respects, to be an ornate scalpel, but it possessed a faint gleam that demonstrated its enchanted nature. The enchantment that helped avoid the accumulation of monster enmity was more focused towards the use of a more traditional rogue or thief, but it would help protect Lady Kyrios during the next invasion event.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Keeping her broom behind her chair, Kumo sat down into her seat. She chuckled at all the maids as they hurried to and fro. Ahhh... this reminded her of the good old days. Letting the atmosphere sink in for a moment, she took a listen to the rest of the group report. Of course, what's-her-name was having trouble with the gates... although, hold on a minute, if she was a vampire, wouldn't she get hurt by that iron and silver all the same? "Hey, you. Whatever your name is. I forget." The witch pointed at Honyopnyoko gently. "Wouldn't that be a bad idea? I mean, you are a vampire and all..." She understood what Byzantiel was saying well enough, although that didn't mean she had to like it. She loved that fountain! It was a bastion of cultural expression! It seemed like Lamija was getting on alright with the shop, as well, which was good. Although, there was something she really needed to say by now...

Taking a bite of merman, and enjoying the taste, she pondered on how to say it.... before deciding to spear some merman as a discussion point. "In any case, Milady, I think we have dragon problems." She pointed at her fork with one of her hands, smiling. "To get to the heart of the matter, it wants food." Nodding, Kumo continued. "For whatever reason, the big guy is hungry - and he's attracted to Pork's Inn & Pub. I reckon a investigation of the place is in order by somebody, just so we know what's going on with the whole situation." She grinned, explaining her plan. "If we know what exactly it wants, we could bait it, and get it away from the village - or distract it enough to get some help from neighbouring villages, at least." She bit the piece of merman off of her fork, chewed a few times and swallowed, eager to continue. "I've heard some stories of an ore that's pretty receptive to enchantment in its home mountain, and if it's away, we could get at it, so I'd say it's a problem worth pursuing." Kumo finished her report and continued her meal while waiting.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

The butler waited patiently while the attendants gave their reports. Before that damned jester had a chance to speak he calls out into the hall, "MS VOLSTALLIT, IF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND AS TO PRESENT YOURSELF."

A timid maid poked her head out from behind a closed door. The butler stood, gesturing for her to take his seat at the table. "Selected for excellence at cooking, cleaning, embroidery and other such tasks, with an important note being her skill at stitching. You in particular, Master, might find this useful when you need a hand, in the literal sense."

He calmly walked to stand behind the Master, ready to move at the drop of a hat. He was more comfortable here then sitting at the table, being that he was a bit too large for it. This was his Manor, and he'd no rather be anywhere else then behind the Master.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

The jester watched all this activity with a slight smile, patiently awaiting his turn. He'd already gotten under the butlers skin, probably all the red he was wearing. As they lapsed into silence he sauntered forward, bells jangling from his head ware.

"Greetings and hello to all you boys and girls-"

He paused and regarded the angel, looking it up and down. You could almost see his brain ticking, the metaphorical clockwork in his head giving a clunk

"-and manifestations of a most pragmatic bent of course. It is a absolute please to meet every. Single. One of you."

He bowed low and slightly mockingly and chuckled warmly, hands behind his back.

"I am here as a representation of that great highway of light that is known far and wide as the Quick Relocation Circuit! Congratulations on your selection as a worthy enough town to merit it's inclusion. My complements of course to the fine designer and implementer which I am sure you are all greatly thankful for leading you with such vision and aplomb! I'm sure you'll want a ceremony of some kind to mark the occasion. You're in the big leagues now baby."

"Tell them about the service!"

A little puppet head on a stick, made to resemble a clown, albeit crudely, appears just behind Samiam's right shoulder, the voice seemed to have come from that.

"Right you are Barnibus! Through our finely crafted instant travel method you are now linked to several major hot spots both near and far. For just a small fee these services are available to you and yours. There will of course be a small admin fee but I'm sure we can work out something appropriate between ourselves my Lady. There are a number of schemes and methods that can reduce the costs associated with such an expenses as this for a new locations. Oh and of course a small percentage of any of the money produced from the use of our patterned Swift Journey Application will of course fed directly into your coffers. A most beneficial arrangement. As I'm sure you'll agree."

"tell her she's pretty! Punters like that"

"hush now Barnibus. I'm talking to the nice people"

Samiam leans over slightly to stage whisper out the corner of his mouth to the closest person at the table, which happened to be Kumo

"Little stick people. What'cha gonna do?"

"I heard that"

"Course you did you were meant to!"

"She's got a nice stick with her. So big and long. Introduce us! Ask it if it's single"

"I do apologise my dear. He can't help himself. He's constantly got wood. Hahahhahah HAHAHAH!"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Everyone

At Honyopnyoko’s declaration, Lady Kyrios waves her hand nonchalantly with a somewhat embarrassed look on her face.

“Ah, no, an enchanted item for my family is… the thought’s appreciated, but just don’t worry about it, ‘kay? Well, I wouldn’t mind something for me though.” At that, she lets out a small chuckle. “Shame to hear about the gate being no good. Iron or silver, huh? Don’t think we have much of either in stock, and buying enough for the defenses sounds expensive… I’ll keep it in mind, I guess. Good work!”

Giving the vampire a thumbs up, Lady Kyrios turns her attention to Byzantiel now, though not for long before her head turns aside with cheeks slightly puffed.

“Oh. You found out. Well, you know, y-you can’t really call yourself a proper town without a fountain, right? I mean, that’s just common sense! And what the heck is this Vanity Element business!?” Sighing, she starts to glance over the report while saying, “Don’t really want to be made into an Outlaw Haven for something like this though. Hm, our options are…”

Flipping quickly through the pages, Lady Kyrios grumbles something about “Jeez, why couldn’t I at least get a good-looking pain in the rear end…” underneath her breath, before perking up as Lamija now speaks.

“Did you say riches, Lamija? Gotta say, I like the sound of that a lot more than the alternatives here. Plus, exploring a king’s tomb sounds kind of fun.” She pauses as Lamija brings out the enchanted scalpel, a wide grin appearing on Lady Kyrios’ face. “Oh, you didn’t have to bring me a gift, Lamija. Still, won’t say no to something like this! Silent Sting, huh. Good work!”

Swinging the newly acquired weapon playfully in the air, her mood seems to have improved greatly compared to even a few minutes ago.

“Yeah, that’s a good point. Would iron or silver trouble you, Honyop...nyoko? I’m not really sure how Arcadia treats you vampires.” Then, as Kumo continues on, Lady Kyrios says, “Wait, the dragon’s off the mountain? Interesting, interesting. Pork’s Inn and Pub, you said? Haven’t heard about the place myself, but if we could figure out a way to bait the dragon…” For once, Lady Kyrios seems quite serious as she thinks for a moment. “And ore at that? Maybe something we could use for the gates? Hmm… well, good work!”

As the maid is brought out into the dining room, Lady Kyrios gives a small but excited round of applause.

“So you’re the new hire? Nice to meet ya! Pretty rare for ol’ Stonehorn to praise someone so highly, so looking forward to seeing you around, especially if you’re as handy with stitches as he says you are. Ah, and don’t feel like you have to be as stiff as Stonehorn either. He’s just like that. Good work finding such a talented servant, by the way.”

Last but certainly not least, there was Samiam. As the performance goes on, Lady Kyrios seems pleased, if a little confused.

“Good show, good show! I, uh, don’t remember hiring you if I’m going to be honest, but a quick travel service definitely sounds useful! Though, I’m not entirely sure how much traffic we’ll be getting, even with the new fountain… ah well, something to worry about later. Good work!”

And with that, the dinner affair finally comes to a close. Looking satisfied, if still shooting glares here and there at Byzantiel, Lady Kyrios claps her hands together once more while saying,

“All right then! With that over with and leaving me lots to worry about, I guess I should move onto why I called everyone here! Or, uh, maybe not actually. See, originally I was gonna talk about collecting resources to expand the village, but it sounds as if there’s a whole lot more interesting things going on that I didn’t know about! And, well… kinda also sort of need to pay off that fountain, I guess.”

Cringing slightly as she states that, Lady Kyrios goes on and says, “So the way I see it, we have a couple of options here. There’s diving into the Desert King’s Tomb, and seeing what treasure we can find there. While the dragon’s away, we can try raiding the dragon’s lair, though that could get dangerous if he shows back up while we’re looting. Since that’s the case, we can also check out the Pork’s Inn and Pub and see if we can figure out why he’s so interested in that place, maybe work out some plan to bait the dragon away for longer. Thoughts, everyone?”

Her speech finished, Lady Kyrios looks out to each of you, apparently seeking your input, thankfully. While those are the options presented, she seems interested to hear if there’s any other plans as well.

Decision time! Based on everything that’s happened, I’m changing up my plans a little and giving you guys these three options for what to do next, as well as staying open to anything else that’s caught your interest.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Byzantiel, as always, was quick to offer his opinion when prompted.

"The Settlement Administration Authority wishes to remind everyone that our current financial situation is highly precarious and the risk of Foreclosure looms thus it would be unwise to invest time and resources in high-risk ventures at this moment. Of explicit options mentioned Desert King's Tomb is the least risky and also loot projections from said dungeon are likely to pay off the fountain if sold off. Also the dungeon in question has a high concentration of Undead that are weak to Light based damage output that we have many sources of thus making the risk/reward ratio highly favorable. "

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Yes! Honyopnyoko is correct, milady. Uhm... Iron is fine, but I'm weak to silver, fire and holy magic. On the flipside, I am all but immune to the dark element, mind control, most diseases and other assorted things the undead are immune to. Sunlight tires me considerably but I don't catch fire just from being inside it, contrary to common fairy tales. Just, uhm, considerably easier!" Honyopnyoko explains.

"I, uhm, I'm going to second Byzantiel's suggestion. Undead I can deal with fairly well! I'd prefer not to become a dragon's appetizer! Eeeep...."

With a face that makes it obvious that she just remembered something, Honyopnyoko reaches into one of her pocket and pulls out an amulet.

"I do have something for you, milady! A byproduct of my earlier experiments with the gate. Preservation magic doesn't do much for the gate, but it should help considerably slow down your decomposition, milady! I heard you got a problem with limbs falling off...

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

"A tomb full of ancient treasure? Undead? I'll have to dust off my book of ancient jokes, otherwise they might not get the more modern tale. Nothing worse then telling a joke and getting... dead silence. Hahaha"

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Turning to face Samiam, Kumo chuckled a little bit. "Haha! Very funny."

Kumo scratched behind her head, nonchalantly. Well, as much as the witch hated to admit it. the others were right. Holy magic was really good against the Undead, and any treasure she'd certainly find someway to carry. Besides, there was always a positive to the idea of the Tomb - more of her fellow items would be set free, and that was always a bonus. Not to mention that she was, of course, interested in the very idea of a dead king's tomb... perhaps there might be ancient records buried within?

"Ehhhh. Alright, I guess I'll third that suggestion. I've got a few things I could chip in with. My hat can carry all the treasure we can get, for one! I would need to prepare some packaging, however. If it's a package and gets through the brim of my hat, the amount of space is endless!" Kumo paused. "Weight... not so much - but that's besides the point." The witch concluded.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Stonehorn grimaces, in so much as a bull's muzzle can. "If I can voice a controversial opinion, Master." He waits to get the go ahead from the Master. "Right, between our esteemed guests Honyopynoko and Byzantiel would be excellent at dealing with the undead of the tomb, likely Bladesworn would also like an excuse to hack something limb from limb too... I however am a butler, though my size is considerable I would prefer to avoid violence if at all possible. Between the esteemed Kumo's masterful skill at packaging and delivery and Mr Samiam's mobility. The three of us, me with a rickshaw or small cart, could carry a significant amount of... Loot, I do believe is the term... From the dragon's den hastily, while Bladesworn, and the esteemed Honyopynoko and Byzantiel clear out the tomb."

He pauses trying to gauge the opinions of the crowd, then snuffles and gives up.

"I understand if there is a consensus to go to one or the other, and will comply with whatever the Master decides, but I will be of little use in a raid of the tomb."

He goes silent and steps back behind the Master's seat, gesturing for Sheila to begin clearing plates from those who do not or cannot eat.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Uh... Mister Stonehorn... I do not think that's a good idea. Splitting up just means we'll be easier to eat piecemeal!" Honyopnyoko pleads. "Besides, you're big and strong! Unlike me! Are you just going to leave a cute lady like me unprotected!?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Stonehorn seems visibly shaken at the appeal. He hesitates for a long moment before composing himself.

"My dear lady, I would posit that our collegues Byzantiel and... Mmm... Bladesworn are very efficient protection, more then I could ever hope to be. I understand your distress, and as I said, I will follow my Master's commands, I just see the path forward differently and it would be facetious of me to silently agree to a situation in which my talents are lackluster at best. Please do understand, your work is integral to the city and I would love to accompany you, it's just inefficient."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"So you're saying you would prefer a much higher chance at being horribly mangled and/or eaten over working slightly slower?!" Honyopnyoko argues as she glares at Stonehorn in a disbelieving fashion. "Where is the logic in that?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Lamija cutely pouted as the butler all but tripped over himself to avoid saying her given name, but a glint of amusement crossed her eyes as the minotaur was stymied by the pleas of Honyopnyoko. She slithered over to the vampire's seat and lay a reassuring hand on her shoulder, "Poor dear, you need not worry! For I, the invincible blademaster Lamija Bladesworn, will never allow you to come to harm. Neither mummies nor dragons will consume you, even if our most esteemed butler isn't... equal to the task at hand." She shrugged. "As they say, size isn't everything."

The naga turned her eyes back towards their largely benevolent benefactor, "Lady Kyrios, it seems that The Desert King's Tomb has reached something of a consensus. It is probably for the best that we work quickly, I recall one of my customers today having expressed interest in pursuing its treasures as well."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Stonehorn falls silent and turns away. A long moment passes before he simply says "I will do as the Master commands."

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 3, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

"I get your a butler and all, but I'd have thought a man like yourself would have a more bullish personality"

Samiam cartwheeled over to him and pats him on the shoulder.

"Nevermind eh? I think it's a credit to you ya don't charge off ahead with an idea. Ya cautious. I like that. Tell me, in your day to day running of the whole shebang yeh got going on here. Do you find organising people easy, or do you often find yourself locking horns with your staff?"

Samiam laughed, more at his jokes than at Stonehorn, and wipes a tear from his eye.

"Oh I do enjoy myself. I hope you don't mind, since it didn't look like you were going to get to go see the Dragon I thought I've give you a bit of a roasting. So you didn't miss out you know?"

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Everyone

Glancing back and forth between Honyopnyoko and Stonehorn as the two debate, Lady Kyrios seems almost relieved as Lamija brings the discussion to a close.

“T-that’s right, we should get going before anyone beats us to the punch. So, uh, please don’t fight you two. I mean, I get what both of you are trying to say, but… ah, jeez. Just, go get ready everyone! We’re setting out for the Desert King’s Tomb! Together!”

She thrusts her hand into the air somewhat half-heartedly as she exclaims that, still clutching the amulet just received from the resident vampire, which is apparently her way of saying this meeting is adjourned. Giving a few quick last looks at Honyopnyoko and Stonehorn, Lady Kyrios retreats from the dining room and towards her study to prepare. The rest of you are left to your own devices to gather whatever supplies you might need, eventually meeting back up at the village entrance.

---
Desert Theme: Ragnarok Online - Desert (:v:)

The moonlit journey to the Desert King’s Tomb is a chilly one, in a few senses of the word, though it is at least unhindered by any roaming monsters or bandits. For now, anyways. But as you all approach the edge of where the desert begins and ends, two things stand out immediately. The first is the crowd of individuals hanging about the entrance to the sands, most of whom are well armed and armored, more than a few of which Lamija recognizes from this morning. The second is the massive dust storm obscuring view of anything beyond reaching distance, which appears to be what’s keeping the members of the crowd from pressing forward. Lady Kyrios comes to a halt as you all draw near, saying,

“Huh, that’s weird. I know this desert gets storms every once in awhile for realism, but never heard of one as bad as this.”

She scratches absentmindedly at the back of her neck, accidentally opening one of her stitches in the process. Letting out a quaint “Ah, hel- heck!” she begins to awkwardly attempt to fix it, waving at each of you while doing so.

“Sorry about, ack, this. Really, there’s such a thing as too much realism… ah, whatever. Would you guys mind seeing what you can find out while I resew this? Thanks. Should’ve brought the new maid if I knew this was gonna happen…”

Leaving Lady Kyrios’ grumbling aside, it’s become quickly apparent that this tomb raid won’t be as simple as it initially sounded. Breaking through this dust storm looks like it’ll be the first step, so the question is… how?

Honyopnyoko

Good news is that the moon’s out now, which suits your vampire self a whole lot more. Bad news is that it seems like Lady Kyrios was somewhat disheartened by your arguing with ol’ Stonehorn, even though his plan was totally nonsense. Still, it’s not as if the minotaur had bad intentions either. Maybe a chat’s in order at some point during this little escapade.

That aside, there’s a whole lot of other people here. Surely someone in this crowd has to noticed a clue or two about how to get past this dust storm, even if they haven’t realized it themselves?

Stonehorn

Despite your efforts to convince her, Lady Kyrios didn’t seem all too keen on your idea in the end. On top of that, that vampire with the odd name plus that damned jester gave you more than a bit of a hard time. Following orders is all part of being a good servant, of course, but you have to be a little peeved?

Regardless of how you might feel, you’ve got a new job to do, though it’s one that falls outside your usual duties. Yet that puzzle-tuned brain of yours can’t help but feel like there’s some kind of pattern to the storm clouds. What is it you’ve got figured out exactly?

Lamija Bladesworn

On the one hand, the weather’s taken a turn for the worse, at least in your opinion. On the other, Stonehorn just got made a fool of in front of everyone. You win some, you lose some as they say, and in this case it’s safe to say that’s a pretty solid win. As a bonus, Lady Kyrios seemed rather pleased with your gifting of the Silent Sting. Question is, was that out of genuine concern for her well-being, or simply to please her Ladyship?

As for this dust storm, well… if it’s something that can’t be cut, stabbed, or otherwise maimed, it’s a little challenging for your skillset. Doesn’t mean you can’t be useful in other ways, however. Like the fact that there’s something or someone close by putting your warrior’s senses on edge… still, it really is quite freezing out here, isn’t it? Makes it somewhat hard to focus...

Compelling Not So Secretly Cold-Blooded to prevent Lamija from noticing what’s getting her attention. As usual, take the Compel for a Fate Point, or pay one to avoid the Compel and whatever trouble this might cause in the future.

Byzantiel

Your report was delivered, and for once it seemed as if Lady Kyrios took it seriously, even if she didn’t appear entirely grateful. Such is the unloved role of an administrator, one supposes, not that being unloved is much of a concern in your case. Still, maybe easing up just a little wouldn’t hurt? Just a little, obviously.

Whether or not you loosen up on that iron fist of yours, you have a more immediate problem on your hands to deal with. Not the dust storm, although that’s a concern as well. Rather, the constant bickering amongst the crowd has gotten your attention, mostly due to their sheer inefficiency as a result. Now there’s an unruly lot that could use some order, evenespecially if they don’t want it.

Compelling An eye for Imperfection to go and try to rein in this mob of adventurers. Might make them more productive, might not, but they’re definitely not going to like being told what to do.

Kumo Tsugami

Shame that your whole bait plan didn’t seem to pick up steam with the others. Another time then, eh? Least there’s sure to be plenty of fun to be had in this king’s tomb, for a particular definition of fun. Freeing items, treasure, and who knows what else! Definitely sounds like a good time, doesn’t it? Too bad this dust storm is putting a damper on things, keeping even your enchanted self from flying on through. Not that that’s stopped others (and probably yourself) from trying though. As you’re hovering about, however,a young woman begins to approach you, skeleton knight in tow.

“Hate to interrupt your fun, but I’m guessing by your outfit you’re a Witch class, am I right? Wanted to ask because I’m thinking there’s definitely something arcane in nature about this storm over here, and I could use a second opinion from someone who’s actually competent with magic.”

The woman rolls her eyes at that, seemingly thinking of someone in particular. She’s completely right, by the way, which is a fact you’ve noticed even while messing about. Heck, I bet you’ve even thought up a method or two on how to weaken the dust storm. Thing is… do you want to tell this stranger, who’s almost certainly going to spread the word?

Samiam

Teasing of ‘poor’ Stonehorn aside, there’s quite the party going on here at the desert. Several parties. A whole bunch of parties even, which means more people raiding the Desert King’s Tomb, which means less treasure for the lot of you. And that’s no good, no good at all. Ignoring the debt your silly Lady Kyrios has acquired for even sillier reasons, it’d be nice to have a larger share of the wealth come your way, wouldn’t it? Maybe something can be done about all these other dungeon delvers… try not to do too much damage though. Don’t want to draw too much attention to yourself- oh, who am I kidding.

One more Compel on AU, want to hear a joke about gold? to screw around with this crowd of adventurers in whatever way you see fit to try and thin the competition. Almost definitely going to attract some unwanted attention if you do though...

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 4, 2017

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Kumo, having stayed entirely quiet during this argument, eventually nodded, and went off to collect supplies from her little cottage. Mainly, it was packaging. however, she did stuff some minor healing potions and panaceas within her hat, just in case. Just a few items helpful for healing up from attacks from dire wolves and goblins. Although she didn't use her witchery in her everyday life, she knew enough skills to do basic alchemical brewing. Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble, after all.

Following the party to the tomb, she held her broom close, but loosely, with one hand fidgeting around, and mostly thought about the arguments earlier. Both sides were as right as each other, she reckoned. Stonehoof's muscle could serve well in a dungeon, Samiam was good for morale, and herself? Well, it was a tomb after all. It would be logical to assume that it probably had some ancient traps! As she entered the edge of the desert, however, she began to feel EXTREMELY irritated! Damned dust, she always hated it, getting everywhere, just when you thought it was gone? THERE AGAIN! Dust... she hated it. Naturally, she missed Lady Kyrios' neck accident, having lost herself in delusions of duststorms.

Kumo gritted her teeth and forced herself to calm down, reminding herself why she came here as the young woman approached her. Well, at least someone was acknowledging her greatness. Cheering up, she pondered on the subject for a moment. "Sorry, kiddo, but it's gonna be a hard one. Bit irritated at the moment. It's all of this dust - but it''ll go soon, I'm sure. In any case, storms like this typically have some sort of central guardian monster sealing it in place. Ahh, from what I can remember, at least, if we destroy it, the whole storm should vanish... we'd have to be careful about investigation, though. I've heard doppelgangers are popular as guardian monsters nowadays, and not only are they masters of disguise; they can multiply like crazy!" She stressfully sighed, before putting her hand forward into a handshake. "So, saying this one last time, BE CAREFUL... what's your name anyways? My name's Kumo!"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: -

If Byzantiel's single, looming eye were capable of such, this is where it would have twitched. The constant, inane bickering of the majority of the people around them filled his mind akin to a buzzing swarm of mosquitoes out for blood. Except 'blood' was his patience. And he was rapidly running out. Arguing over easily verified fact, argument over unverifiable fact. Pointless idiocy. Pointless idiocy that could easily be corrected by a guiding hand.

Alas.

He had no authority here. And angering such a large mob had a considerable risk of harming the Owner's bottom line which of course was unacceptable. So Byzantiel bit his proverbial tongue, even if he had to summon most of his will to do it.

Of course, to the outside he seemed no different.

"I would note that since an unexpected break due to weather phenomenon has occurred, we have enough downtime for me to petition the Angelic Spheres for ordinance of protective nature. Please stand by as I apply the necessary paperwork."

Byzantiel whipped out a scrollcase and a pen, and started circling the group, on occasion muttering holy words, on others writing several scrolls worth of blocky angelic scripture only for the scrolls to disappear in a puff of light when he was done. Time passed, until eventually, a sealed scroll glowing a bright sort of sterile white appeared out of nowhere. Byzantiel promptly grabbed it, read it, and handed it over to Lady Kyrios.

"I am pleased to notify the Owner", Byzantiel begun in a tone as dry and decidedly not pleased as always, "That the Angelic Spheres have found my petition acceptable and have as thus leased us divine protection against the undead within the Tomb for the duration of our stay. As long as you possess this court order with you within the bounds of the dungeon, creatures of such nature ought to be hampered should they try to harm you or your troupe."

quote:

Theantero: Carefully Creating an Advantage by casting a buff (+2 from my stunt "The Good Book is long and written in Triplicate"), difficulty 2
TheFireMagi: i'm still trying to work out exactly how i want to do this pyramid raid anyhow
Theantero: !r 4df+5
Krysmbot: Theantero, +/+-+5 = 6

I Succeed with Style. The Team gets the Aspect: 'The Fourth Sphere's Minor Restraining Order against Undead or Other Dark Energy Animates of Hostile Intent' with two free Invokes.

Also, Rejecting the Compel and paying 1 fate for that.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 4, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Detect Undead | Consequences: - | Stress: -

Honyopnyoko looks at the Sandstorms in confusion.

"I have no idea how to get past these Sandstorms, really. Maybe we should just.. ask?" she suggested.

Another metaphorically bright lighbulb later, she comes up with something else. "I got a detection spell for undead. should help us out in the tomb!"

"[Detect Undead!]"

quote:

Cleverly creating an advantage!
01:42:44: <Yamifenrir> !r 4df+3
01:42:46: <Krysmbot> Yamifenrir, +---+3 = 1

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: None! | Consequences: None! | Stress: [_] [_] [_]

Accepting the compel!

Lamija shivered as she pulled her cloak tighter around her body. It was freezing! How were the others handling the biting cold with such... such... aplomb! The victory in the manor was seemingly further and further away, as it was difficult for her to concentrate much on anything but her urge to burrow into the sands below their feet and rest until the hot sun returned once more.

It was quite pleasing that Lady Kyrios had appreciated her gift. It might be quite easy to write it off as a transparent attempt to curry favor with the leader of their small town and, to be fair, it was that. The Lady was also her biggest and most reliable customer, so there was an element of gratitude for that as well. Yet, even so, there was some concern there. She was a bit bumbling, after all, and something even as minor as a superior weapon might prove to keep her functional and free of harm in the days ahead. Sentimentality? Perhaps.

As the protective sphere from Byzantium descended onto the party, Lamija hoped that it would prove to cut the night's chill. No such luck was to be had, however, and she sighed with disappointment. There was a twinge of danger at the back of her mind, but who could focus on such matters? Not even the supreme warrior of their time. She'd simply need to focus her energy for a few moments with her eyes closed. A lesser person might call that 'sleeping,' but they would be terribly wrong. Lamija yawned, then settled down on her coils as her eyes fluttered shut. Her time to shine would be soon. She was sure of it.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: -

Compel accepted. Let's get crazy

Samiam spotted the group of miserable and sand covered people and made a bee line for them. They looked like they could do with a little cheering up.

"Hello there fellows! Seems we've found ourselves in a bit of a pickle haven't we? All alone in the desert with nothing and nobody to do but each other. Awful awful thing. Lucky for you I happen to come along though!"

He bowed his bow and chuckled.

"I'm Samiam. And friends, I happen to be a bit of an entertainer, if the headgear didn't give it away"

He bobbled about, now having gotten their attention, letting his bells jingle

"and since you've got nothing better to do than wait, why don't I entertain you for a while? Now who here likes card tricks?"

Samiam proceeded to pull out a deck of cards and shuffled it in a complex pattern, splitting and splaying the deck into sections on the tips of his fingers and putting it back together in a different order before fanning the pack out towards them.

"Now first things first, you there sir, in the fine hat. Pick a card... any card"

As his client reaches out Samiam grabs his hand

"Wait a second... I thought so!"

He flipped over the guys hand to reveal a card poking out of his sleeve. Pulling it out, it was revealed to be a joker

"I should have known! Other jokers are always trying to get in on my act!"

He let's the audience chuckle as he throws the joker card over his shoulder and let it be taken by the wind. He then proceeded to perform card tricks, followed by jokes and dirty stories. Building rapor with the group, preparing for his show stopper.

"Now you guys have been a great crowd. Oh but I do have one final trick for you all"

'Is it a vanishing act?' someone calls from the back, causing the audience to laugh.

"Oh sir you've spoiled the surprise!"

Samiam laughs and taps his nose.

"That's right a vanishing act. I'm going to make myself disappear."

'bout bloody time!' another laugh. Samiam smiles sweetly.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, for my final trick, I require a coin from each of you."

This would be where it was make or break, the act hung in the balance.

quote:

<JohnOfOrdo3> Samiam sneakily attempts to teleport the group of adventurers back to town
<JohnOfOrdo3> !r 4df+2
<Krysmbot> JohnOfOrdo3, -++/+2 = 3
<JohnOfOrdo3> Oh please oh please work because it would be hilarious if it did
<TheFireMagi> well probably should have waited for me to figure out a difficulty first :p
<JohnOfOrdo3> Let's live life dangerously
<Yamifenrir> yolo
<TheFireMagi> i was going to say 3 anyways though, so i'll say that's enough to move a good chunk back, but not all

He collected the coin, feeling them in the palm of his hand, their roughness, their weight, the satisfying clink of them rubbing together. Then he smiled.

"Payment accepted"

The coins disappeared, and so did most of the audience.

But not all.

Samiam's eyes roamed over the baffled and then horrified audience members.

"Huh, must not have been enough. Some cheapskates in the audience today. Ah well, Congratulations! Each of you are the winner of today's grand prize. Your share of the treasure just increased. Rejoice dear friends and fairwell!"

Samiam bowed again with a cackle and began to amble back to his own group. Reaching out a hand to catch the joker card he threw away. How like himself, most hard to get rid of.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Stonehorn is silent the whole way to the temple, simply pulling his cart through the sand with some difficulty. As they arrive he takes the time to fix his collar and adjust his rolled up sleeves. From under one such roll he produces a roll of string and a needle and begins working on the Master's neck.

As he does so, he eyes the 'sandstorm', Samiam's performance and the sleeping Naga. He works it all out, double checks his mental math, and puts forth his theory.

"Master, see how the 'sandstorm' seems to be going in all directions? I posit that this is an illusion, if you look closely it is actually two layers, one going clockwise, the other counterclockwise. No doubt there are more concentric layers within. The natural solution would be to find some item on the outskirts that would move the storm up several feet or else a path beneath, letting us pass under it. However, like clockwork, I can assume that if the sandstorm 'gears' get slightly out of rotation, they'll spin out of control and break apart."

Stonehorn steps past Samiam, and what remains of the crowd, plants his hoofs deep in the sand and leans into the storm.

Stonehorn Forcefully Overcomes an obstacle by going straight through it, using his Bull in a China Shop trick.

quote:

[21:27:01] <JadePhone> Gonna have Stonehorn live up to his name, Forcefully Overcoming the sandstorm by wedging his horn between the first two layers, thereby making the storm spin out of control and dissipate
[21:27:19] <JadePhone> !roll 4df+5
[21:27:20] <Krysmbot> JadePhone, +-+-+5 = 5
[21:29:25] <TheFireMagi> also based on what Kumo said, I'm gonna say that rather than dissipating, you doing this gives the party (and the other adventurers) time to proceed further into the desert
[21:29:44] <TheFireMagi> since she tied the sandstorms to some kind of central beastie you guys will have to deal with
[21:32:23] <JadePhone> So it gives us the first layer broken
[21:34:53] <TheFireMagi> essentially, yeah
[21:35:14] <TheFireMagi> without anyone getting damaged/lost since you succeeded

Stonehorn's horn makes a sound like steel in a belt grinder as it turns from off white to pure white and loses about half an inch of length, sharpened to a new point. The sandstorm makes a whirring sound then disappears in a small outward explosion of dust.

"Come, we don't have long before the sandstorm reasserts itself, and this might not work every time" He rubs the end of his horn "I only have so much ivory to spare too..."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Everyone
Desert Theme: Ragnarok Online - Desert

As Stonehorn temporarily stops the dust storm at the cost of some of his horns, what remains of the previously much larger crowd turns their attention from the mischievous jester to the clear path ahead through the desert. What anger was boiling throughout the confused adventurers now becomes renewed energy, and loud, excited yells fill the air as they charge forward. For the time being, it seems their focus is on reaching the now visible pyramid off in the distance rather than exacting any sort of revenge. Still, perhaps it’d be wise to watch your back once you make it inside the dungeon…

That’s a worry for later though, and each of you perk up as you watch Lady Kyrios hurriedly pick herself up off the ground and chase after the crowd. The woman speaking to Kumo motions to her skeletal knight, who places her upon his shoulder, while saying,

“Name’s Aethis, though my official title is Mistress of the Arcane. It’s, uh, a little tacky for my tastes, but the bonuses it gives are… well, nevermind that, we got a tomb to raid. See ya there.”

With that, the skeletal knight starts to run across the sands while carrying his Mistress, and you all run after yours. Realizing the distance between herself and the rest of you, Lady Kyrios stops and turns around with a wave,

“Hey, hurry up everyone, before-”

Her voice is overshadowed mid-sentence as a rumbling suddenly fills the air, and an enormous crevasse opens up in the middle of the desert that swallows up a number of unfortunate adventurers. Before anyone has the time to react, two giant, skeletal hands reach out and grasp several more, hurling them into the abyss as a figure rises forth.

:siren:Mini-Boss: Guardian of the Sands:siren:

Some brave souls charge the giant, only to be blown away with a casual sweep of its arm. Others scream and retreat, before… disappearing into the ground? That’s around the moment some of you hear an odd noise, as if something were shifting through the sand…

Freaking Sand Sharks!? :argh:

Two Sand Sharks leap out from behind, searching for a chunk of beef tonight!

quote:

<TheFireMagi> An unseen foe strikes out at Stonehorn!
<TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+4
<Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, -//-+4 = 2

Another pair circle around, striking out at our local jester!

quote:

<TheFireMagi> An unseen foe strikes out at Samiam!
<TheFireMagi> ! 4dF+4
<TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+4
<Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, ++-++4 = 6 :ohdear:
And with that, we got combat! This would be what Lamija’s Compel missed, by the way. The immediate threat are these two pairs of Sand Sharks, but there’s also that mini-boss to worry about! What’s the plan, friends? Edit: Also, Stonehorn don't forget to take a Boost for Succeeding with Style on that Overcome.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 9, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaah" Honyopnyoko yells out, panically running in circles as the Guardian of the Sands rises. "... Oh. It's undead."

Her hands glow as she casts her spell, suddenly a lot calmer than before.

[Holy Smite!]

quote:

03:54 Yamifenrir Honyopnyoko Cleverly Attacks the Mini-Boss by exploiting the obvious weakness of the undead! (aka uses the stunt Strange Beast of Holy Darkness)
03:54 Yamifenrir !r 4df+5
03:54 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, ////+5 = 5, +2 from using the Detect Undead" boost
03:54 Yamifenrir ... well then
03:54 TheFireMagi huh
03:54 TheFireMagi Can the Guardian of the Sands resist Honyopnyoko's Attack?
03:54 TheFireMagi !r 4dF+3
03:54 Krysmbot TheFireMagi, -+--+3 = 1
03:55 TheFireMagi apparently not!
03:55 TheFireMagi but i'll go ahead and burn one of my FP to reroll that defense!
03:55 TheFireMagi !r 4dF+3
03:55 Krysmbot TheFireMagi, /-+-+3 = 2
03:55 TheFireMagi barely worth it!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 9, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: Greatest Genius of a Generation | Consequences: None! | Stress: [_] [_] [_]

As Honyo's voice echoes out across the sands, Lamija's eyes snap open. The thrill of battle cuts the chill away. As much as she would prefer to sit back and analyze their foes attack patterns, this would be an ideal stage for her to demonstrate her swordsmanship for all. What better way to drum up business? A master of the sword would have uncanny insight into quality weaponry.

Slithering across the sands with, frankly, disturbing speed and ease, a predatory grin crosses her face as the Guardian slams it's arm down into another group of adventurers. The perfect opening to strike. Lamija pulled free her blade and stabbed it down into the giant hand. The beast reared back, trying to throw her off, but it had no chance. Her coils had already encircled the withered forearm. She dragged her blade through dusty cloth and bone alike as she spiraled up towards the head. She looked at the skeleton's dire grin and matched it with her own. Her sword flashed out, faster than the eye could see, and returned to the sheath.

『Snake Blade: Black Mamba's Bite』

For a moment, the world was still. She tapped the skull with her sheath and watched a network of cracks start to spread across the giant.

Attack posted:

6:05 PM <Tricky> Lamija, who was definitely not sleeping, is going to Quickly slither up the Guardian of the Sands's arm and sword him in the face.
6:07 PM <Tricky> !r 4dF+5
6:07 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, +++/+5 = 8
6:08 PM <Tricky> Lamija Bladesworn, the greatest genius of a generation, etc, etc.

6:08 PM <TheFireMagi> Can the Guardian knock away Lamija before suffering too much damage?
6:08 PM <TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+3
6:08 PM <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, -/-++3 = 2

The Attack Succeeds with Style, dealing 5 shifts of damage and generating the boost 'Greatest Genius of a Generation.'

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Everyone
Desert Mini-Boss Theme: Monster Hunter - Desert Battle Theme

Situation Aspects
'The Fourth Sphere's Minor Restraining Order against Undead or Other Dark Energy Animates of Hostile Intent' (Protection Buff, 2 Free Invokes)

Foes | GM Fate Points: 5
Guardian of the Sands - * ** *** **** ***** | Mild Consequence: Cracked Head (1 Free Invoke) | Moderate Consequence: ---
Sand Shark Group A - * ** ***
Sand Shark Group B - * ** ***

Faced with Honyopnyoko and Lamija’s combination of ferocious attacks, the Guardian unleashes a guttural roar (despite it’s lack of innards) that shakes the earth itself. Nevertheless, the damage is clearly done, and parts of the Guardian’s skull collapse and fade into the sand. What skull remains is cracked, and seems prone to further harm…

Just a quick update with the Guardian's consequence, for anyone that wants to use it. Edit: Missed that Lamija took a Boost, which means that the Guardian loses its 3-Stress box and not its 4-Stress. Double Edit: After discussion in IRC, I realized that Mooks don't get Consequences! So uh, the Sharks lose their Mild Consequences. :v:

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 9, 2017

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: Cyclone's Blessing | Consequences: - | Stress: -

Shocked by the sudden appearance of the sharks and gigantic sandy skeleton, Kumo jumped back, calling her broom to her. "So, you're the cause of this storm, eh? Well, I'd like to handle ya, but..." She glanced at Lamija and Honyo. "it appears my teammates already got ya, and good!" Nodding her head, ("Right, then... onto my other deliveries!") she decided on the best course of action for this battle was... "Wind blowing through the hurricane!" A miniature tornado began to spin around the end of her broom, before she seemed to leap towards a sand shark, much lighter than before.

"EN GARDE!"

She rapidly spun at the sand shark, thrusting her broom at it over and over again, and sucked it all up into a massive ball levitating above her broom's head! She smugly crossed her arms, a wide grin across her face.

"Now THAT'S how it's done, kids."

#worldofarcadia posted:

18:39 Flamander Kumo's gonna attempt to Flashily spin her broom-self in an Attack on the sharks, yeah.

18:41 Flamander !r 4df+3
18:41 Krysmbot Flamander, +-/-+3 = 2
18:41 Flamander well then
18:41 TheFireMagi Can the Sand Sharks dive back into the sand out of harm's way?
18:41 Flamander that... was less spectacular than expected.
18:41 TheFireMagi !r 4dF+2
18:41 Krysmbot TheFireMagi, ---/+2 = -1

Her attack Succeeds with Style, reducing the damage by one to give her the boost Cyclone's Blessing, and using up a fate point to increase the damage by two in return.

Flamander fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 9, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: -

Byzantiel considered the team. Damage had been dealt to the enemy. Damage had also been dealt to the team, in an unsustainable manner too if this were to become standard for encounters. What they needed was more situational awareness. Yes. Byzantiel lifted its arms, and performed janky, rigid movements as its singular eye started to glow. Since the team was incapable of noticing every detail like he was, and this was the source of them being ambushed, then it was the logical conclusion to lend them his sight so they would not miss anything.

"I would have you borrow my sight so that you might better gather variables pertaining to the enemy movements. With simple calculation you can then predict them."

"[Eyes of The Ophanim]"

Of course, Byzantiel, not being the most empathetic sort, failed to account for the others perhaps not being used to such a flood of largely superfluous sensory feedback...

quote:

Theantero: Byzantiel Carefully Creates Advantage to give you all SPECIAL EYES (difficulty 2)
Theantero: !r 4df+3
Krysmbot: Theantero, ----+3 = -1
Theantero: lmao
TheFireMagi: oh wow
Theantero: hahaha
Theantero: this is all too perfect
Theantero: I'm not even fating that
TheFireMagi: the party denies Byzie's special 'gift'
Theantero: because it makes perfect sense for that buff to backfire horribly

Sorry, this is just too good to pass up :v:

Creating Aspect: Eyes of The Ophanim, with The Enemy gaining one free Invoke on it due to my failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - (Mild)winded and dazed | Stress: - [ ] [ ] [x]

Samiam didn't even see the Shark coming. Too busy staring at the huge monstrosity of dried, crackling bone. It was only when it burst out of the ground that instinct took over and his found himself trying to somersault himself away from the explosion of teeth and violence hurtling towards him. Only he was far, far too late.

quote:

<TheFireMagi> An unseen foe strikes out at Samiam!
<TheFireMagi> ! 4dF+4
<TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+4
<Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, ++-++4 = 6

<JohnOfOrdo3> Samiam flashily avoids the Sand Shark. Can he do it?
<Yamifenrir> I even got a stunt that allows me to downgrade a consequence
<JohnOfOrdo3> !r 4df+3
<Krysmbot> JohnOfOrdo3, /--/+3 = 1
<JohnOfOrdo3> gently caress

Three shifts of damage and a mild consequence

Samiam yelped as the shark's impact sent him sprawling. He tried to draw breath and found he couldn't, his chest ached. Seemed he had avoided the teeth but the shark was built like a blunt arrow, he would have a nasty bruise if he got out of this alive. Speaking of which, he didn't have much time. That thing would come for him again, but he felt weak as a newborn kitten. He could barely stand. Let alone run. Thankfully even if his body failed him his mind hadn't. He spotted the shark's fin and it's trajectory, removing a box from slightly behind his belt and placing it in the path of the shark. He ignored the fact he clearly hadn't had this box until now and started to turn the crank on the boxes side. Causing simple music to play from it. As the Shark burst from the ground, swimming through the air towards him again, he gave the crank a sharp twist. The top of the box flew open and a smiling face exploded out of the jack in the box with the force of a cannon, punching the shark in the gut and sending it spinning away.

quote:

<JohnOfOrdo3> Now would laying a trap (Such as a jack-in-the-box) to fling a shark out of the ground into the air count as flashy or clever?
<TheFireMagi> hm
<TheFireMagi> i'd probably go with clever, diff: 2
<JohnOfOrdo3> Right oh!
<JohnOfOrdo3> Samiam attempts to Cleverly create an advantage by using a trap to launch a shark out of the ground and make it vulnerable.
<JohnOfOrdo3> !r 4df+2
<Krysmbot> JohnOfOrdo3, +-+/+2 = 3

Now it was the Shark's turn to lay on the ground stunned. Momentarily vulnerable.

Advantage created - Beached Shark one free invoke

• Locked thread