Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Unfortunately I've given it back. The new one is not as attractive as the old one - the old one had an interesting classic Fiat 3-hole offset grille and the new one is a bit more plain. Think of a smaller, less boxy Kia Soul.

It also got one star in Latin American crash testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It also got one star in Latin American crash testing.

That seems… less than ideal

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Anybody here have a Ghibli? I'm getting a new car soon and I'm seriously considering one. Doug Demuro's video notwithstanding, my understanding is the 17 model is supposed to be significantly improved from the 14 models that the press reviewed?

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 30, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why in the gently caress do you want a sixty K chrysler 300 you can buy 2 chrysler 300 for the same price

I am an Italian car apologist and the Ghibli is an unforgivable sin. At least the Alfasud was cheap. I've driven one. The engine is kind of nice. The exterior styling is decent. The interior is Chrysler partsbin if you know where to look but con stile italano. Every other car in its class is better than it at everything except being Italian and having exterior styling.

Upside they depreciate like loving rocks so you can get a used one for like six bucks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How can they port that exhaust to the 300?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

[quote="“KYOON GRIFFEY JR”" post="“477876163”"]
why in the gently caress do you want a sixty K chrysler 300 you can buy 2 chrysler 300 for the same price

I am an Italian car apologist and the Ghibli is an unforgivable sin. At least the Alfasud was cheap. I’ve driven one. The engine is kind of nice. The exterior styling is decent. The interior is Chrysler partsbin if you know where to look but con stile italano. Every other car in its class is better than it at everything except being Italian and having exterior styling.

Upside they depreciate like loving rocks so you can get a used one for like six bucks
[/quote]

I've driven one too, and don't really get the point you're trying to make. You call it a $60k 300, but also point out that it has a better engine, styling, and while the interior shares Chrysler parts, is still con stile Italiano. The 300 isn't a bad car, and the Ghibli is much better.

I wouldn't buy one new because I'm not a moron, but I'd lease one for sure or, if I had the balls, buy a used one to drive on the weekends. The people that I know that have them (all leases) cite (it's not a 5 series/e class) as one of the big selling points, which I totally get. It's a good car, not as good as the competition, but is way more interesting.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In other news I drove the Abarth cabrio to work this morning (I try to once per week or so) and god I still love it. An Abarth coupe hopped on the freeway right next to me and we cruised with other for a good 20 miles down the coast, taking turns hitting the boost and rocketing past each other.

That car is so much fun to drive slow that I honestly have no desire for a legitimately fast car these days. Something like a Mustang GT would be too easy to get in trouble with. The Abarth can be wrung out like crazy, make a shitload of noise, and put a smile on my face, all under 50mph.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am an Italian car apologist and the Ghibli is an unforgivable sin. At least the Alfasud was cheap. I've driven one. The engine is kind of nice. The exterior styling is decent. The interior is Chrysler partsbin if you know where to look but con stile italano. Every other car in its class is better than it at everything except being Italian and having exterior styling.

I cross-shopped it with the E43/540i/XF-S and it's significantly cheaper than the e43. The Jag is the cheapest but I've driven two different Jag loaners and it has the most buggy infotainment system on the planet and still doesn't have android auto.

The 540i costs a bit more and has nicer interior and tech but I'm just not really into it. It's also slower.

Forgot to mention I need a lease for tax reasons, and sticker price often bears no relation to lease cost.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 30, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gamesguy posted:

I cross-shopped it with the E43/540i/XF-S and it's significantly cheaper than the e43. The Jag is the cheapest but I've driven two different Jag loaners and it has the most buggy infotainment system on the planet and still doesn't have android auto.

The 540i costs a bit more and has nicer interior and tech but I'm just not really into it. It's also slower.

Forgot to mention I need a lease for tax reasons, and sticker price often bears no relation to lease cost.

Keep in mind that electrical/electronic issues are more likely with the Ghibli than the BMW, and if you are not in continental europe, spare parts may take a while to reach you. Hell I live in :italy: and still would have second thoughts at buying a Maserati due to mainteinance expenses/downtime.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you want an Italian sedan you might as well just get a Giulia QV, it's all the same problems with way more of the fun

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Keep in mind that electrical/electronic issues are more likely with the Ghibli than the BMW, and if you are not in continental europe, spare parts may take a while to reach you. Hell I live in :italy: and still would have second thoughts at buying a Maserati due to mainteinance expenses/downtime.

Well, I live only a couple of miles from a Maserati dealer and as long as they give me a loaner it shouldn't be a problem. Maintenance wise it's about the same as my current car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you want an Italian sedan you might as well just get a Giulia QV, it's all the same problems with way more of the fun
Dude the Quadrifoglio and the Ghibli s aren't even remotely in the same price range. The Quadrifoglio costs twice as much...I can lease a freaking Panamera turbo or a E63/M6 for that price.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Saw my first Giulia out in the wild on the opposite side of the road to me. I didn't know what it was initially but it looked fantastic, it was a dark grey. They look better in person than they do in photos.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

Well, I live only a couple of miles from a Maserati dealer and as long as they give me a loaner it shouldn't be a problem. Maintenance wise it's about the same as my current car.

Dude the Quadrifoglio and the Ghibli s aren't even remotely in the same price range. The Quadrifoglio costs twice as much...I can lease a freaking Panamera turbo or a E63/M6 for that price.

Giulia QV: $70,000 base MSRP
Ghibli S: $78,000 base MSRP

???????

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Giulia QV: $70,000 base MSRP
Ghibli S: $78,000 base MSRP

???????

Giulia QV: $78k MSRP, total 3 year/10k lease cost ~70k with tax
Ghibli S: $83k MSRP, total 3 year/10k lease cost ~28k with tax

Those are actual, real quotes. The QV leases extremely poorly due to a total lack of dealer discounts, a very low RV, and zero lease support from Alfa resulting in a ridiculous MF. It is quite possibly the worst car to lease on the planet.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 31, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dang, I couldn't find lease details for either online but that is... extreme

you clearly really want to get the Ghibli so go ahead and do it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I realised last night it's possible to fit 15's on the panda. Looking on eBay this opens up so many terrible possibilities...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I realised last night it's possible to fit 15's on the panda. Looking on eBay this opens up so many terrible possibilities...

there's the classic bear wheels that were available for the Miata, that would be very fitting for a Panda

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seen a few with those, but I was thinking:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132373014189
Classic 14 hole Alfa

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172934161420
Coupe squares

Ooh these are too expensive but drat:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263280134362
White Lancia Monte Carlos

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's the classic bear wheels that were available for the Miata, that would be very fitting for a Panda

They've been superseded by the Rilakkuma (relax bear) wheels...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I can't decide whether a new Panda rolling on a Cromodora CD3 would look cool or not.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't decide whether a new Panda rolling on a Cromodora CD3 would look cool or not.

They'd look really loving cool if they had a touch more dish.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CD66 maybe?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:mmmhmm: yeah

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-fiat-124-spider-pininfarina/

Good comment:
"I credit my 124 Spider’s workshop manual and wiring diagram with my passing knowledge of Italian … nero, azzuro, verde, bianco, not to mention the gauges with benzina and olio"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I bought a roof rack that claims to be compatible with my Abarth Cabrio. We’ll see how that works out. I’m just giddy at the idea of my bikes sitting above my head with the top down.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

eyebeem posted:

I bought a roof rack that claims to be compatible with my Abarth Cabrio. We’ll see how that works out. I’m just giddy at the idea of my bikes sitting above my head with the top down.

I can picture it in my head but I demand you post. Lycra must be the choice of both bike and Abarth drivers everywhere? Save weight where you can :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-fiat-124-spider-pininfarina/

Good comment:
"I credit my 124 Spider’s workshop manual and wiring diagram with my passing knowledge of Italian … nero, azzuro, verde, bianco, not to mention the gauges with benzina and olio"

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful. I desperately wanted one of those in '83, but I was in grad school and had no money. Then they stopped making them. :(.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

slothrop posted:

I can picture it in my head but I demand you post. Lycra must be the choice of both bike and Abarth drivers everywhere? Save weight where you can :v:

I ride road and mountain. I need to buy a Colnago now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful. I desperately wanted one of those in '83, but I was in grad school and had no money. Then they stopped making them. :(.

You can buy a good example (1600cc is best really) from the early 1970s for like ten, twelve grand in very decent condition. The '83 is too late, it has lovely bumpers and you need to do a lot more work to the Lampredi to get good results. An absolutely perfect dual IDF French Blue 124 sold for like 17,000 on BAT a few weeks back. That's about the absolute top of the range.

I've started my hunt for a Fulvia. So far have a line on a decent S1 but it's red with a black interior which is like my least favorite color combo.

edit: panasports blow on Italian cars, cromodora supremacy bitches

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 22, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: panasports blow on Italian cars, cromodora supremacy bitches

They don't look quite right, but only the 4 spoke Cromodoras would work on that 124, which it doesn't really to be said, looks light years better than the tribute of the modern 124.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

They don't look quite right, but only the 4 spoke Cromodoras would work on that 124, which it doesn't really to be said, looks light years better than the tribute of the modern 124.

what you want is the CD19 which was an option for certain model years, but I think the five spoke star pattern Cromodoras would look OK too

panasports are unattractive on most cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There is a much better 124 on BaT now although I question the idiot that rebuilds a Lampredi four cylinder and paints the timing belt cover red and puts ugly rear end MSW alloys on the car.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've gone and done something silly in the name of bikes.

I should probably pull the fuse for the top and check the weather report before driving this car from now on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do they interfere with each other?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kimbo305 posted:

Do they interfere with each other?

Completely.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Mine has factory 15" alloys on? or is yours a MK3 and is 15" wheels a MK4 thing?

I have loads of 4x100 Saab wheels! Will these fit on a 4x98 Panda?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They don't make fun enough of its typical Italian car origin story:
https://jalopnik.com/this-alfa-was-dropped-by-a-tow-truck-and-then-it-became-1820805337

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Mine has factory 15" alloys on? or is yours a MK3 and is 15" wheels a MK4 thing?

I have loads of 4x100 Saab wheels! Will these fit on a 4x98 Panda?

Mines a 58 plate, mk2, 13s standard, 14s in the 100hp but apparently 15s fit. I need to try.

Also wobble washers or whatever they're called. Not sure I trust them but many people do.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So uh... basically once this thing hits 30mph it sounds like I have a 747 turbofan engine strapped to the roof of my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

They don't make fun enough of its typical Italian car origin story:
https://jalopnik.com/this-alfa-was-dropped-by-a-tow-truck-and-then-it-became-1820805337

Ok that car is fantastic

• Locked thread